Chapter 14: Then and Now

Untimely Love

Ehlarie Kate's P.O.V.

"Remember this?" Eron asked as he handed me the leaf that fell a while ago, but something in the leaf changed just the way his eyes looked at me.

 

The leaf had a smile in it, but just like Eron's smile, it wasn't genuine. The smile in the leaf was made by Eron...and the smile on his lips...I feel like he just forced it.

 

His eyes were communicating but I didn't know what it was telling me. I wish I'm a mind reader but I'm not. My instinct is just telling me that he isn't okay and I don't know why. I'm even doubting my instinct now even when I've known him all my life.

 

"Earth to Ehlarie Kate. Hellooo," he waved his left hand in front of my face and I realized I was spacing out.

 

"Sorry," I uttered and he just chuckled.

 

"Mind if I join you?" He asked and I just moved towards my left to give him space.

 

"You seem very happy these past few days," I commented while looking at his eyes and his left eye twitched. He must not have noticed that I was observing him closely not until he looked away.

 

"You could say that," he said and yet his tone wasn't happy nor excited at all.

 

"I heard about what happened last night," he faced me and cut me off even before I said something.

 

"Are--are you okay?" He was hesitating as though he wanted to say more but decided not to.

 

Now it was my time to look away.

 

"I am." I replied.

 

'I am okay with a few wounds but I'm not okay with the wound you gave me.' I could've said that but I knew better.

 

"I haven't seen you smile these past few days." The quick change in topic and the way he talked to me made me realize something...

 

That he wasn't the same Eron I've known all my life. He has changed a lot and I don't even understand the attitude he is showing me today.

 

"Well, yeah. Pretty much stressed at school." I chuckled.

 

I hoped that my lie would draw us away from my impending sudden confession but he held me on my shoulders. We're now face to face with each other and I don't know why but my heart isn't nervous at all. I couldn't even feel that sudden rush of heart beat every time he held me or look directly in my eyes for a long time.

 

Then he pulled me into a hug.

 

I froze. I wasn't expecting that but at that moment, as he whispered "I'm sorry," it felt like the magic and the spark that I've seen in this young man has disappeared. But a stray tear fell and I wiped it away with a question in my mind and heart.

 

What is happening with you, my dear heart?

 

We stayed there for a few moments before I heard someone clearing his throat. Eron and I parted and it was too awkward.

 

"Uh, couz. Your phone kept ringing. I heard it while passing by your room so I took it." Jace informed and I immediately stood up to take my phone.

 

The phone rang and it was Aleah.

 

"Can we get some kitkat? Look, Rie. I swear that wasn't intentional. I promisethatIwentoutfora jog on my own. I just...God! Ididn'tknowshewould putacaptionlikethat on IG. ButIswearthatIneverreceivedaninvitationfromherforanearly morning jog." Aleah sputtered and I was only able to understand a few words.

 

"I'll see you in 40."