Special Chapter 2: A time for Me and You

Untimely Love

Five years ago…

“Yes? How…Okay, I’ll be there.” Everyone in the car looked at Ace who seemed to have received a very serious call.

 

“The varsity team of our school got into a huge accident. Eron called me to inform that the basketball team is okay but the table tennis team are being brought out the bus one by one as they received the greater damage.” Ace explained and suddenly, Ehlarie started to worry. She couldn’t think of anything else but Calvin.

 

“Dad, can I please go with Ace? I just want to make sure my friend is okay.” She pleaded.

 

“Will you make it to the airport in time?” Their father was looking at Ace.

 

“Yes, dad. No worries. I’ll take my car.” Ace assured and they immediately ran to get the car at the garage.

 

Soon as they arrived at the hospital, Eron approached them and told them everything was being handled already.

 

“How about Calvin?” Ehlarie asked but Eron seemed to not able to say anything about it.

 

“Eron? How is Calvin?” Ehlarie asked once again, this time her voice quavered, afraid of what she’ll be hearing next.

 

“He and one of his teammates are in a critical condition. I heard Calvin lost a lot of blood and they’re now trying to find a compatible blood for him in the blood bank because the hospital had no more stocks.” Eron explained and it was painful to see the girl he truly loved care about someone else and not him…anymore.

 

“What’s his blood type?” Ace asked and Eron sighed.

 

“AB positive. I heard it’s always the blood that gets used up most of the time. So like, they’re looking for alternatives like people with O negative can donate.”

 

“Excuse me, where can I get my blood type checked?” Ehlarie asked one of the nurses who happened to pass by them.

 

Before they even knew what was happening, Ehlarie was already donating some blood for Calvin. And the whole time it was happening, she only hoped for the best. She kept praying that Calvin will get better.

 

After that, she called Ace and they went to the airport silently. Ace understood his sister and there’s no need for words to tell him how she feels.

 

~*~*~*

 

“Cal—Calvin?”

 

He was as surprised as Ehlarie when their eyes finally met. He couldn’t believe that he was actually seeing her after a long time. But then, he could feel that wound in his heart she caused and he can’t help himself but demand for answers.

 

“Oh, hi. Why are you here? I mean I don’t remember asking anyone especially you to come here in my studio.” There was bitterness in his words and the sharpness that carried it pierced Ehlarie’s heart in one single strike.

 

He hates her, she knew that and she accepted it right away. He has all the rights to be mad at her and feel bitter about how things ended for them, she thought.

 

“I…it’s…”

 

She wanted to explain but she knew it was too late. She wanted to tell him she was sorry but she couldn’t speak. She was stuck in his stare and tears threatened to fall down any minute if she stayed there longer. So she turned her back on him.

 

“So you’re leaving just like that? You’re just going to run away yet again without even talking to me…explaining to me about everything. Am I that insignificant to you? Tell me Ehlarie, have I never really amounted to something in your heart?” Calvin was furious and all those pain he kept for a long time have been triggered when he saw her turned back.

 

Ehlarie, on the other hand, could not stop her tears from falling. She thought he knew about her situation. She thought he was able to receive her letter before she left. And even if he did, she thought, he must’ve hated her even more.  

 

Mustering up all her courage, she wiped away her tears and faced him.

 

“I’m sorry…for everything. I know where you’re coming from and I can’t blame you for what’s wrong in my life. This time, I’m not running away. I don’t know how to put it but I’ll make sure I’ll never show up in front of you again…so I won’t hurt you anymore. If you hated me even more with the letter I left, I’m sorry. But don’t worry, I’ll leave so I won’t cause more disturbances here and in your life.” She said as a stray tear fell down her cheeks. Then she looked at the painting he was still holding.

 

“Thank you for taking that down, it seems inappropriate for you to display a painting of a nobody.” With those final words, she turned away and walked out of his studio.

 

Her tears were uncontrollable soon as she went out of the studio and she cried even more when she can’t see Aleah’s car. Even when her hands were trembling, Ehlarie reached for her phone to dial Aleah.

 

“E…sorry. I left soon as you entered the studio. I just thought you’d be spending more time there with him.”

 

“No, it’s fine. I need some time alone, anyway.” Her voice quavered and she hit the end call button.

 

She started to walk away…she doesn’t know where to go but she kept on walking because it somehow felt like her world was still moving even with the pain she is feeling.

 

Calvin, on the other hand, was left confused and hurt even more. He just wanted her to explain, to tell him in all honesty why she chose to leave him, why he never seemed to be someone important to her even when he considered her his world.

 

Then he remembered the letter that Aleah gave to him after he got discharged in the hospital five years ago. He never read it. He was afraid it contains the words that would scar him forever and he didn’t want a letter to break his heart; he wanted that those words would come directly from Ehlarie, personally. So he just shoved it in his wallet and carried it all these years.

 

He slowly fished out his wallet and took the letter. And after a moment of silence, he started to walk towards the door.

 

“Wow! So you never read her letter? And you didn’t even bother to ask who saved your life five years ago. Ehlarie donated her blood for you before she left. And I won’t forgive you if things between you won’t be fixed.” Aleah barked at him before their call ended.

 

Calvin cursed himself and started to run and search for the love of his life.

 

He had so many questions after he found out that he left the country for good and the answer was with him all those years he had been looking for answers. He blamed himself for not even trying to give it a chance to know what was happening. He just focused on his pain and he allowed it to surround his heart with bitterness and anger.

 

He kept running, wiping his tears that’s clouding his vision, and fear was taking over him. He was afraid that he would really lose her forever.

 

Then he stopped.

 

Because in the place where destiny started to work between them, he found her. And he promise to never let her go ever again.

 

“Ehlarie.”