Epilogue

Should I, Should I Not

❝ epilogue

e r i c ’ s

[blue text = spoken in english]

 


 

Although she can’t really cook, Yongsun still makes the best seaweed soup and I have to acknowledge her for that. She still doubts herself for it every single year but even my brothers agree that her seaweed soup might actually tastes better than my mom’s and it’s Brian we’re talking about, the kid has the pickiest appetite among us. 

 

Every single year, Yongsun makes it her top priority to cook a warm homemade breakfast for my birthday and no matter how exhausted she’d be from the night before, she’d still get up in the early morning to make me seaweed soup and every year, I’d feel even more like the luckiest guy alive. It is our second year of being married now, and she still made me a homemade birthday breakfast earlier this morning because she believes it’s important to fill your stomach with your family’s food on the morning of your birthday. Back then, she said it’s her priority because my family is far so she’d take care of it for me and now, she told me that because she’s my family now so she has to make sure I’m receiving that every year for my birthday.

 

When I got home from work earlier this evening, she gave me a big bear hug and showered me with i miss you even though we saw each other this morning. I gave her a bouquet of flowers I bought from a flower shop I encountered on my way back home and she said something along the line of thank you, I really feel like receiving flowers today but when I asked her why, she shrugged it off and dragged me with her to our rooftop terrace. 

 

On the tablet are two plates of medium-cooked steak and a birthday cake in the middle. There are also candles and a bottle of wine. Yongsun places the bouquet of flower I gave her on another table and grins sheepishly at me, and I could tell she feels proud of herself. I mean, she should be. These are amazing.

 

    “I like your choice of non-alcoholic wine as our celebratory drinks.” I teased and she shrugged. 

 

    “Well, I kinda want to spend some time with you on your birthday without passing out after a glass of drink.” 

 

I laughed and I poured some into her glass then into mine. Something about the way Yongsun’s all giddy and happy made me feel like there are something more to this than just my birthday celebration and I looked around several times to see if any of my family is actually hiding in any corner, planning to surprise me because it’s Kim Yongsun we’re talking about and she’s the master of hidden cameras and pranks.

 

    “These are really good,” I pointed to my steak with my fork and she smiled. “Thank you.” 

 

    “Come on, these aren’t much compared to what you did for me every single day.” She took a sip of her wine. “You know, no matter how many times I think about it, I couldn’t stop being so grateful that you were the one I was paired up with for wgm. We wouldn’t be here today if it wasn’t for back then, and I would never be able to feel this loved by someone.” 

 

There is this longing and gratitude in the way she said it and it makes me smile knowing she treasures those moments just as much as I do. Wgm was our starting point and all of those things we did together on the show meant a lot to her. I remembered coming home to her curling up in bed one day, watching our segment of wgm all by herself and at one point she’d tear up and just couldn’t stop crying for the rest of the night because she felt sorry that for a short moment, she pushed me away no matter how many times I’ve told her it wasn’t her fault and that I understood her choice.

 

As the night deepen, I didn’t even notice when did we finish our food because I was focusing too much on our talk. We’ve been busy with our own schedules even after our wedding. I was working on my albums and tours and Yongsun was busy with Mamamoo and sometimes her solo schedules so to sit down and talk like this for hours, it was hard. The most we could do was talking for an hour in bed before we dozed off to our dreamlands. 

 

    “Truthfully speaking, let’s put aside that it’s my birthday,” I said and move forward and she raised her brows curiously at me. For a second, she looked nervous then that expression went away almost immediately when I grinned at her. “We’ve never really asked each other this before but we both know someone has to do it. What do you feel about us being married these past 2 years?” 

 

    She laughed. “Should I be anxious that there might be something you’re displeased about behind that question?” 

 

    I laughed and took a sip of my wine. “No, personally for me, it felt just like when we were dating and I mean it in a positive way. It felt like we’re still dating but it’s more definite this time because we both know now we really belong to each other without the fear of having to break apart so I guess it has been amazing to me. I love being married to you and I think I will always be.” 

 

    She laughs her usual dolphin laugh and automatically, it just makes me laughs with her. “You’re not drunk from drinking non-alcoholic wine, aren't you?” 

 

    “Do I really sound drunk?”

 

    “No.” She giggles and leans forward, placing her arms on the table too. “That’s also how I feel, maybe it’s because there are days when we saw each other for the first time in a month and there are days where we only see each other on video call but like you said, I also love being married to you. There is this certain thing about coming home from work to each other then being able to hold each other arms in arms that make me even happier that we're now married because those little things make me feel like these would be what we'll be able to do for the rest of our lives together.”

 

    I nodded and she fed me a spoon of the chocolate cake she got for me. “Now it’s my turn to ask. Have you actually thought of having kids yet? Because honestly, I do. I also stopped getting birth control shot. I don't know if you've noticed it or not but it's been a while since I stopped too.” 

 

Kids. My parents have been asking me when will we give them grandchildren because we’ve been married for 2 years and that they’re getting older by day. When we just got married, both Yongsun and I agreed that we’d have kids later, maybe in a year or two because we wanted to spend some more time enjoying each other’s presences first before really settling down. But ever since then, we naturally never really discussed about when to actually have one. Naturally, Yongsun stopped getting her shot and naturally I wasn’t even thinking of doing anything to prevent babies from happening either. I guess we both just understand each other without even having to communicate now. 

 

    “Yeah, I noticed.” I nodded. “I mean, I want kids but since we can’t just force them to come, maybe we’ll just go with the flow and when it happens, we’ll go through it together like we always do.” 

 

    She smiles and eats a spoon of the cake too. “I know I’m not a perfect wife. I know I still have some flaw and I know sometimes my short patience gets in the way of us but I promise to work on it and I promise I will try to become a good mother for our little one so we can all live beautifully like we do right now. I don't know how I will be able to manage that with how rush I can be but with you, I know I'm going to do anything to provide only all the best for them.” 

 

I nod, she raises her brows then smile. Leaning back into her chair, she claps her hand and grabs a box from her side. It’s round and it’s in white wrapped with a blue ribbon. She hands it to me and greets me a happy birthday for the nth time today. Honestly, she didn’t even need to buy me a present. What she did for me today was more than I could asked for, I’m contented enough with even just a meal together. 

 

    “Can I open it now?” I asked and she nodded her head. 

 

I removed the lid from its body and inside is a stack of sweatshirts. Why would she get me so many sweatshirts at once? I grabbed the first one from the box and unfolded it. My eyes caught the English phrases on the sweatshirt and I froze. 

 

    BEST DADDY IN THE WORLD 

 

What?

 

Wait what?

 

I stared at Yongsun and she’s giggling. I opened my mouth to say something but nothing came out, my eyes went back to the sweatshirt then to her then back at the sweatshirt. What?

 

    “I- Yongsun-“ I motion at the shirt then at her, heart beating a zillion times faster than its normal pace but the only thing I could care about right now is hearing it directly from her. 

 

    She nods her head with a grin. “Look through the box carefully.” 

 

I pull out two other sweatshirts that have BEST MOMMY IN THE WORLD and CUTEST BABY IN THE WORLD on it but what caught my attention was a pregnancy test under the sweatshirts. I picked it up, staring at the two pink positive signs on it and for a short moment, I almost tear up. My jaw remained hanging open and I looked at Yongsun again, completely ignoring the fact that I have tears welling in my eyes and I could be bursting in tears at anytime soon.

 

    “Thank you…” I mumbled, finally found something to say after a long while. 

 

    “Pft, don’t thanks me. I didn’t make this happen alone.” I could almost locate the little mischievous grin in her voice without even having to look at her. “Did you not get the hints from the non-alcoholic wine and from when I told you earlier I’d try to be a good mother?” 

 

    “No, I thought you were talking about the future.” I said and I still sounded bewildered even to myself but all in a good way. 

 

Yongsun giggles and she gets up from her chair then walks toward me. Naturally, she sits on my laps and wraps her arms around my neck. I cautiously move my hand to her stomach and gently caress it and she smiles. 

 

    “Don’t get too emotional yet, there is only an embryo in there right now.” 

 

Geez, Kim Yongsun.

 

    I laughed. “Our embryo.” 

 

This time she laughed out loud and said it sounded weird and I had to agreed with her because I wasn't even making any sense even to myself. My brain is overfilled with ecstatic that it can't even function properly anymore. For about another 30 minutes, neither of us asked each other to move or to get up and neither of us could actually stopped being emotional that we’re really, finally becoming parents. 

 

We both love kids and the thought that we're actually going to be having our own soon push me up onto cloud nine. I can't even imagine what would it be like if we have a little Yongsun running around the house and giggles in the exact same way like Yongsun does whenever she's overly happy. I sighed in content and rested my head against hers. I already can't wait for her to come out. Our parents would probably scream over the phone when we share the news, especially my parents. They're probably going to dote on our baby more than we do.

 

    “I love you.” I mumble and give her a soft peck on her lip. 

 

    She mouths a me too and smiles at me. I bend down and give her tummy a quick peck. “And, I love you too, precious.” 

 


hellooooo! i know i've said this story has ended before but i feel like sth is missing with the way i ended it so i thought maybe, as a last gift, i could write a short epilogue on how ddongie would be after their marriage. this is really the end now guys ;-; maybe until i could figure out another fic about them in mind but for now, i hope you enjoy reading this last bonus chapter♡ thank you so much once again and have a nice dayyyy♡