033;

Should I, Should I Not

❝ chapter thirty-three

e r i c ’ s

[blue text = spoken in english]

 


 

The aromatic scent of coffee always sets my morning into a good flow for the rest of the day, especially right now. Eddie and I are sitting in the hotel’s café and they have a pretty much amazing coffee. I don’t remember how did I first grow to love and depend on coffee throughout my day but whatever that was, I’m glad I did because, honestly how does someone get through their day without coffee? Yongsun’s a different case, of course.  

 

It’s 8 in the morning and Yongsun is preparing herself and she told me I can just go downstairs first instead of waiting for her and my parents and Brian are either preparing themselves or still sleeping. Eddie and I are always the early birds among the family. 

 

    “I meant what I said last time, bro.” Eddie said after a sip of his coffee. “Do you have plan in marrying her?”

 

    “Actually, that’s exactly what I want to talk about right now.” I leaned forward. “We talked about it together last night, well not technically about the wedding itself but we sort of came across a topic of our dream house and I know it’s still too early for marriage but I want to put that in work without her knowing.” 

 

    “You want to build a house?” He almost chokes on his coffee. “Where? In Korea?” 

 

    “Of course. We have to work there.” I said. “I was thinking of asking Andrew, last time we talked, he said I should contact him if I ever wanted to construct anything. He’d come up with the plan for me.” 

 

    “Have you talk to mom and dad?” He asked. “You know, it’s going to be hard doing this without her knowing. It’s a house we’re talking about. She might loves it or she might gets mad at you for hiding this from her.” 

 

    “I’ll need to talk to them about this, of course. Probably later this afternoon or later tonight. Or sometimes later.” I stirred my coffee in a clockwise direction then switched to anti-clockwise direction and watched as it twirled rounds and rounds inside my cup. “I know, that’s why I’m trying to ask you if it’s a good idea.” 

 

    “I don’t know, bro.” He sighs. “It’s worth a shot. You have to be sure you’re really gonna marry each other if you want to work on this though.” 

 

    “I am.” I said then noticed Yongsun walking toward our table in her white dress above her knee and her hair slightly curled in the end. “I think I might propose in one and a half year. Two years max.” 

 

She takes a seat next to me and greets Eddie a good morning which he returns and offers her some coffee but then he remembers she doesn’t drink it so he gives her the menu and offers to call the waiter over for her instead. I wrap my arm around her waist and Yongsun doesn’t seem to mind that at all, in fact she’s sitting casually while scanning the menu. Her English is improving, especially when it comes to food. 

 

She ends up choosing mango juice after a while and we decide we’ll eat when my parents and Brian come down. There’s a swish of strawberry scent passing my nose as she turns to face me then scoots closer to me. 

 

    “Did you change your perfume?” I mumbled just loud enough for the two of us and she grins, shaking her head. 

 

    “Body wash.” She said. “I ran out of mine and I used another one I brought. Do you not like it?” 

 

    “It smells pretty.” I said. “But, I still prefer the coconut one on you.” 

 

    She smiles. “Me too, I’ll switch back to that one when we’re back in Korea.” 

 

Brian comes down first, he’s dressed in a pair of short and a hoodie which both Eddie and I kinda scowled at him because it’s really sunny out there but he defends himself that he’ll change after breakfast. This is actually his sleep wear and he only brushes his teeth, cleans his face and combs his hair. My parents come down after a little while later, and they look well rested. They have these glowing smiles and they seem totally relaxed and happy by each other’s sides. Dad always likes it best when he gets to travel together with mom. 

 

We ordered our breakfast and later agreed to visit the Sea Life Park then go to the Ala Moana Center sometimes in the noon when it gets even hotter. Sometimes, between breakfast, I could feel my parents watching us and half of the time, I catch them smiling when Yongsun offers me some of her mango juice then playfully shoves the straw into my mouth because I refuse.

 

    “You’re in a good mood today.” 

 

    “Breakfast.” She smiles sheepishly. “It’s because I’m eating good breakfast.” 

 

    “You never skip your breakfast though.” 

 

    Then slightly, she mumbles something along the line of, “It’s because I get to wake up next to you in a beautiful place like this.”