021;

Should I, Should I Not

❝ chapter twenty-one

e r i c ’ s

 


 

    “A man who has everything from looks to singing and interviewing and even for his manner. The Nation’s Boyfriend,” Yoo Jaesuk sunbaenim said. “Eric Nam!” 

 

The Nation’s Boyfriend. Does this even sound right anymore? Honestly, as much as this title helps me in this industry, it’s suffocating and pressuring. You can’t do anything at all. It’s like you have to be alert and attentive throughout the whole day. In one word, you have to act like you’re perfect. And, I don’t like being perfect. That sounds too inhumane to me. 

 

    “Eric Nam…” Yoo Jaesuk sunbaenim smiles sheepishly at me and I get the idea on where this is going immediately. “The news sites broke last night.” 

 

They clapped their hands and cheered loudly and I only laughed. Sure, it did broke but that wasn’t in a good way, they knew that. Hyunmoo hyung gave me a teasing look and I knew he wanted to say something but he hesitated a little bit. If it’s anyone who can initiated this topic without causing an uproar, it’s only Yoo Jaesuk sunbaenim and everyone knew that. Because, he has the ability to make it sounds light and entertaining even if you hate to hear about it. 

 

    “So, how did it happen?” He asked.

 

    “Yes?” I laughed a little. 

 

    “Honestly, I was reading the news on my phone last night then the site alerted a new post that you announced your relationship to the public on your SNS account. I was curious so I went to read it and got a goosebumps.” He said. “How did it happen? Did you two agree to this?” 

 

    “We did. We agreed that it would be better if we came out about it ourselves instead of being caught and our fans are like our friends and families, so we wanted to share the news ourselves.” 

 

    “He’s really cool.” Seho hyung said in awe. “This is why every girl likes Eric Nam.” 

 

    “Honestly, coming out about your own relationship is really hard but they had the courage to do so. It’s really brave of them.” Yoo Jaesuk said and nodded at me reassuringly. “What is she doing right now?” 

 

    “Yes?” I laughed. 

 

    “Solar, Solar.” He said and the casts laugh at how straightforward he was. 

 

    “I think she’s practicing for her comeback stage tomorrow.” 

 

At this point, I was pretty sure my ears were on fire and later, Seho hyung pointed it out and they teased me for a few more minutes before they moved on. It felt strangely relieved now that I said it out but the problem would be how the public viewed it. They would either think I was exaggerating on a public tv show, or how I mean every single things I’ve just said. 

 

The shoot comes to an end after six hour and I catch up with a few of them for a while before my manager picks me up. I fish my phone out from my pocket and see a few missed calls from Eddie, few texts from Brian complaining that I never tell him about this, from dad that he wants us to visit asap, from mom to treats Yongsun well or she’s going to kill me the next time I see her and from a few of my friends back in Atlanta and here congratulating me. Amber is still insisting that we should meet up together once and Ailee spams the whole group chat with all sorts of heart stickers. My phone is going to freeze because of her at this rate. 

 

There’s another video at the bottom and I decide to play it because the thumbnail looks quite interesting. Good For You is playing in the background and suddenly, Amber appears in an elephant onesie carrying a life-size standee of Yongsun and starts lip-syncing to it. A few seconds later, Ailee appears in a long wavy wig resembles Yongsun’s trademark hairstyle and pushes the standee away then exaggeratedly grabs Amber to kiss her. At the end of the video, they both threaten I should introduce Yongsun to them officially soon or they’re going to call her themselves and expose all of my secrets. God, I can’t believe them. 

 

Several minutes later, Yongsun actually called me. Turned out she tried to make her members paid for meals today but they tricked her into paying it later so now they’re over at the valley we once went together and she asked if I wanted to join. The place’s been Mamamoo’s go-to places before, during and after their promotions and I don’t doubt that at all. The place was nice, it was really nice and they made great food too. Maybe, I should bring my family here once if they ever visit Korea again. 

 

45 minutes into the ride, the car turned into the valley’s parking area and I went over to find Yongsun. It wasn’t that hard to find them though, there’s only a couple of people mostly elders there, and because her pink hair and Byul’s blue hair stood out the most even from a far. Not to mention, they were quite loud so it was really easy to locate them. 

 

Hyejin is the first one to sees me. She raises her hand to wave at me while biting onto her drumstick, Yongsun turns around excitedly and waves at me to comes over faster. I give her a fist-bump when I get there, something we have been doing since forever. If we’re alone, we greet each other with a hug but if we’re in public, we naturally agreed on a fist bump.

 

    “How did the recording go?” She asked once I took a seat next to her. 

 

    “Great.” I nodded. “They did asked about us, but it wasn’t that bad. Yoo Jaesuk sunbaenim was there, he took care of the situation well."

 

     I took a quick glance at my phone screen. "Are you guys just having lunch right now too? It’s already 2pm though.” 

 

    Hyejin shakes her head and bites onto the cartilages on the end of the drumstick. “No no, we already had lunch. These are just snacks.” 

 

    “You’re having two whole chickens as snack?” I motion at the table. “And, one big plate of spicy rice cake and potato pancakes.” 

 

    “We have to eat well for tomorrow.” She nods then places the leftover bone into the bowl next to her. 

 

The girls were a little bit more quiet when they ate, so all I could hear was the gush of winds and the sound of birds and the rivers. A few people came to eat and they recognized us but they respected our privacy and didn’t come over. Some times later, the girls excused themselves to go to the bathroom so we’re left alone together and Yongsun comfortably rested her head on my shoulder. 

 

    “I’m so full.” She rubs her tummy.

 

    I kissed the top of her head and laughed. “Me too. Good luck for tomorrow!” 

 

    “Hm.” She hums. “I wish you could come.” 

 

    “I wish you would tell me already if you had any kissing scene in your music video or not.” 

 

    She giggles then gets up to look at me. “I don’t know too.” 

 

    “Are you sure you don’t know?” 

 

    “I wouldn’t know that.” 

 

She shrugs with a soft pout and I tickle her waist, she screams then realizes we’re in public and there are actually a few people around so she laughs instead and tries to push me away. Her members walk in on us and shake their head simultaneously. 

 

    “Keep your tone down, Yeba unnie.” Hyejin said, then leaned in right into us and whispered. “You’ve been loud since the morning.” She giggled and gave us a wink.

 

Oh shoot.