Chapter 8

Follow Me and Run

“Your brother is way cooler than I thought,” Jongin informs Sehun after they’ve gotten out of the car outside Jongin’s house, Junmyeon courteously remaining in the car so they can talk.

“Don’t tell me you thought he would be a stuffy businessman,” Sehun teases as they walk to Jongin’s door. Jongin blushes and Sehun’s grin widens. “No way, you totally did!”

“He looked super businesslike, he literally wore a suit for a casual lunch, okay?” Jongin says defensively, even though he’s smiling too. “And he seems like he’s looking forward to taking over the business, too.”

“He is,” Sehun replies matter-of-factly. “He loves everything about business.” Jongin looks slightly confused, so Sehun explains, “I mean, yeah, it’s our parents’ biggest dream to have the two of us in charge of the company after our father retires, but that’s not why Junmyeon-hyung wants to do it. He genuinely enjoys it, that’s why he wants to take control of the business one day. Not for our parents - for himself.”

Jongin smiles softly. “You look so proud when you talk about him. It’s sweet.”

“I’m lucky to have him,” Sehun says quietly. “He’s in college right now, in addition to holding a position in the company, but he still lives at home because he wants someone to be there for me. He and Kris-hyung, his boyfriend, they practically raised me. I owe them a lot.”

“He has a boyfriend?” Jongin blurts out, surprised.

Sehun can’t help laughing slightly at Jongin’s reaction. “Yeah, I only found out a few weeks ago myself, but it turns out he’s been dating his best friend for five years now. I’m not sure what he plans to do when my parents decide it’s time for him to get married, but at least he’s happy for now.”

“And what about you?” Jongin asks, sounding a little hesitant.

“Well, dating my best friend is definitely not for me.” Sehun cringes a little at the thought. “Chanyeol is great, but I think Baekhyun might actually kill me if I ever even tried to think of him like that.”

“That’s...not exactly what I meant,” Jongin giggles quietly. “Although that’s good to know too, I guess. I just meant whether you have a boyfriend or girlfriend in general.”

“Oh,” Sehun belatedly realizes, blushing a little. “No, I don’t. Except for the girl I’m supposed to marry, of course, but that doesn’t count.”

“Me neither,” Jongin informs him with a shy smile. Sehun tries to ignore the swooping sensation in his stomach at the news.

They’re still looking at each other, soft smiles on their faces, when Junmyeon calls from the car, “Sehunnie! We have to go!” It effectively breaks the spell they were under and they both look away hastily.

“Well, I’ll see you next class,” Jongin says, a faint trace of disappointment in his voice.

“Definitely,” Sehun agrees. Jongin is about to turn to go into his house when Sehun impulsively catches his wrist. “Hey, today was really fun. We should do it again, but - maybe without Junmyeon-hyung next time?” He doesn’t mean for it to come out as a question, but his nervousness gets the better of him.

One of Jongin’s tiny, breathtaking smiles blossoms on his face. “Yeah. I’d like that a lot.”