Chapter 12

Follow Me and Run

“Soloists are revealed today!” Luhan informs Sehun cheerfully as he walks into class. He and Minseok attach themselves to either side of Sehun and walk with him to where the others are waiting.

“What do you mean?” Sehun asks, confused.

“Every year, two people from this class are chosen to be soloists for our showcase,” Minseok explains. “And then the rest of us can either do a group performance or split into duets.” Jongin, standing a few feet away, catches Sehun’s eye at that and grins. Sehun returns the smile enthusiastically.

The instructor walks in and stands in front of the six of them. “First of all, I want you all to know that your auditions were all excellent this year. Sehun-ssi, I know you didn’t have the opportunity to audition, but rest assured, you will definitely have the chance in the future.” Sehun thanks him gratefully. “This year’s soloists are Yixing and Zitao! Congratulations, gentlemen! I’ll leave you all to celebrate.”

Jongin and Sehun move to congratulate Yixing and Tao as the instructor exits, while Minseok and Luhan turn to each other gleefully and simultaneously exclaim, “Duet!”

Tao rolls his eyes at them. “They’ve been waiting for the chance to perform a duet forever,” he whispers loudly to Sehun, who laughs in understanding. “It’s one of the things on their ‘couple bucket list,’ apparently.”

Luhan sticks his tongue out at them. “Don’t be jealous, TaoTao!”

“There’s nothing to be jealous of,” Tao shoots back cheekily. “You two are just gross!” Luhan tries to put him in a headlock; Tao is saved by Minseok gently pulling Luhan away by the sleeve.

“I know a song you two could dance to!” Yixing interjects happily, oblivious to the commotion around him. “One of my friends is a really good singer and he recently recorded a song in Mandarin that’s perfect for you guys. I’ll send it to you.”

“Thanks, Xing!” Luhan says appreciatively. He turns to Jongin and Sehun. “What about you two, are you excited for your duet? Don’t think I missed those secret smiles you were giving each other before!” He waggles his eyebrows at them, grinning suggestively.

Sehun glances at Jongin, who’s flushing slightly. “A few of my friends recorded a song that I was thinking we could dance to, if you want.”

“Sure!” Jongin agrees excitedly. “I can’t wait!”

“I bet it’s a love song!” Tao predicts, smirking.

“I bet Luhan-hyung and Minseok-hyung’s is a love song,” Sehun replies, trying to deflect.

“That would be a pretty logical choice though,” Minseok reasons. “We’re dating, it would make sense for us to dance to a love song.” Sehun sends a furtive glance to Jongin, who smiles complacently; they’re both content for now to not point out that it would make sense for them to dance to a love song too.

“Oh, it’s a really dramatic love song!” Yixing informs them, smiling placidly. “It’s called ‘Heart Attack.’ I forget most of it, but I’m pretty sure one of the lines translates to ‘I’d rather not breathe than part with you.’ It’s a very nice song.”

Sehun, Jongin, and Tao burst into giggles as Luhan looks accusingly at Yixing. “I thought you said the song was perfect for us.”

Yixing stares blankly at him. “Yeah, didn’t you hear the lyrics I just said? It isperfect for you.”

Minseok wraps a comforting arm around the indignant Luhan as the three younger dancers continue to fail at stifling their laughter. “Come on Lu, it’s just a bit of fun. And to be fair, we can be a little over-the-top.”

“Whatever,” Luhan pouts exaggeratedly. “They’re just jealous.”

“Yup,” Tao manages to say through his hysterics. “That’s definitely it.”

“Anyway,” Minseok continues. “I asked the instructor before if we could have a break for the rest of the day, and he agreed that we’ve earned it. But be ready for shortened regular practice tomorrow, and then we’re doing solo and duet practices for a little bit.”

Everyone looks delighted at the prospect of a rest day and scrambles to attack Minseok with hugs. “Thanks Minseok-hyung, you’re the best hyung ever!” Jongin declares.

“I thought was the best hyung ever,” Luhan grumbles.

“Who said that?” Sehun smirks. “You?” Jongin and Tao burst into laughter again.

“You’re all disrespectful brats,” Luhan scoffs, but he’s smiling too.