Chapter 5

Follow Me and Run

Kris knocks on Sehun’s door early the next morning. Sehun has already been awake for half an hour, having received a panicked call from Baekhyun about accidentally saying something yesterday that might have made Chanyeol suspect his feelings for him (“Baek, he’s felt the same way for like, six years, so just tell him already and go back to sleep.”), so he lets Kris in, smirking as he does. “So, you stayed the night, huh?” He waggles his eyebrows suggestively. Kris looks taken aback, clearly not having anticipated this reaction.

“Um,” he starts. “Yes?”

“I know, hyung,” Sehun tells him, trying to hold back a laugh. “That happens when people are dating. I do understand how relationships work.”

“I just - felt like I need to explain,” Kris says timidly.

“You don’t have to,” Sehun reassures him. “Junmyeon-hyung already talked to me about it.”

“Still,” Kris insists. “You’re the only member of his family whose opinion I care about. I want you to understand. I know it must be a shock for you, finding out about this all of a sudden, and -”

“Kris-hyung,” Sehun interrupts. “I don’t know if you remember this, but when I was eight, me and Chanyeol and Baekhyun were playing outside, and I fell off my bike.” Kris tilts his head in confusion, unsure where Sehun is going with this. “My knee was scraped pretty badly, and Baek went to go find my parents, but when he came back, he brought you and Junmyeon-hyung instead. You and Junmyeon-hyung were the ones who helped me that day, cleaning my scrape and holding my hand and talking me through it.” Sehun smiles wryly and makes eye contact with Kris. “I think that was the day I started thinking of Junmyeon-hyung and you as my real parents, my real mom and dad.”

“I didn’t know,” Kris says softly. “I didn’t know you saw us like that.”

“You two practically raised me together, hyung,” Sehun continues. “This isn’t a surprise for me, not really. It’s like a child understanding what it actually means for their parents to be married.”

Kris reddens, hurriedly choking out, “We aren’t! Married. We aren’t married. We have definitely not gotten married.”

Sehun lets out a genuine laugh at that. “I know that, hyung. But it’s the thought that counts, right?”

“Anyway,” Kris interjects, trying to change the subject quickly. “I just didn’t want you thinking I’m a bad influence on your brother or something.”

Sehun is suddenly, inexplicably, reminded of a time, three years ago, when he had arrived at home with his hair freshly dyed rainbow colors (it had been in solidarity for Chanyeol’s recent coming out, and like most things, had mostly been Chanyeol’s idea). Kris had thought it was brilliant, but Junmyeon had panicked at the thought of their parents’ reactions. Somehow, in the process of calming Junmyeon down, Kris had managed to convince him that if he bleached his own hair a pure blonde, their parents’ anger would be mitigated somewhat. Needless to say, their parents had nearly had an aneurysm at the sight of both their sons’ new hairstyles, but as expected, their reaction had been less harsh than it would have been if Junmyeon, their perfect, model son, hadn’t dyed his hair too.

“You’re not a bad influence at all,” Sehun decides, smiling at the memory fondly. “In fact, you actually help him relax a little.” Kris looks pleased at the observation. “Of course, if you hurt him, I wouldn’t be dumb enough to pick a fight with you or anything.” Kris raises his eyebrow and Sehun smirks. “I’d just tell Chanyeol and Baekhyun and Jongdae to follow you around for the rest of your life and then you’d really regret it.”

Kris looks equally impressed and terrified. “You certainly are devious, Sehunnie. It’s a good thing I don’t plan on hurting Junmyeon, ever.” He’s silent for another moment before shooting Sehun a furtive glance. “So, just hypothetically of course, if I were to, I don’t know, propose to Junmyeon, just out of curiosity, you wouldn’t be necessarily opposed-”

Sehun rolls his eyes, a grin plastered on his face. “Hyung, really, you have my blessing. Please, just ask him to marry you already.”