Chapter 23

Follow Me and Run

Telling Jongdae and Baekhyun is a lot easier after that. Sehun texts them to meet him in the same place where he and Chanyeol are already waiting, and they show up together, worried and full of questions. With Chanyeol’s help, Sehun explains everything to them. They’re understandably shocked by the extremity of the plan, but fully sympathize with his reasoning.

“But where would you go?” Baekhyun asks curiously. “And what if your parents go looking for you or something?”

“Jongin has a little money saved up, just for himself,” Sehun tells him. “It isn’t much, but we’ll be able to get somewhere to stay temporarily in the city until we can find work. And I doubt my parents will come looking for me, because as soon as word gets out about what I’ve done, they’ll want to cover it up, and the easiest way to do that is to just pretend like I don’t exist.”

“And what about Junmyeon-hyung?” Jongdae inquires, and Sehun feels a jolt of guilt course through him at the mention of his brother. “What does he have to say about all of this?”

“I - um - haven’t exactly told him yet,” Sehun mumbles sheepishly.

“What?” Chanyeol exclaims indignantly. “You haven’t told Junmyeon-hyung?”

“I was kind of planning on telling him last. Like, after telling everyone in the dance class and everything.” Sehun rips a few blades of grass from the ground absentmindedly. “It’s just, he has so much on his plate right now, with his wedding plans and everything. I don’t want to make him even more stressed.”

“You’re literally running away from home,” Jongdae says slowly. “There’s absolutely no way to break the news without causing him stress. You have to tell him soon, Sehun-ah. It’ll only be worse if you wait too long.”

“I know,” Sehun replies softly, looking away. “I know.”