golden retriever

Don't look at me with those eyes

After searching for a very long time, Umji and Sowon returned to Yerin’s apartment dejectedly. Sowon rubbed her forehead, this wasn’t what was supposed to happen. This was why she never told Yerin about herself. Once you’re in the world of dogs, you don’t leave unscathed.

Sighing, she sat down on the couch. Her power nap had made her hangover a smaller pain, but the headache persisted.

“Sowon unnie you should sleep until tomorrow morning. We’ll think of something then.”

“I suppose so.”

She looked at the sleeping Yerin, she had never seen Yerin that upset since the time Sowon had rushed her to the emergency room. She shuddered from that thought. That was definitely the darkest moment of Yerin’s life.

“We all should rest.”

Eunha had been watching the door very carefully, almost as if a dog waiting for their owner to return at any moment.

Sowon patted Eunha’s head. Even if Eunha didn’t remember her, Sowon did.

“Rest little one.”

“I-I will.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“I won’t ever let you find her!”

SinB thrashed in the jaws of the bigger dogs, for some reason they haven’t killed her yet. Also, for some reason, they did not go off to find where she buried Yerin’s clothes. She had gone far enough to dump them in mud and then bury it. Here, she was stuck.

They were carrying her somewhere and she wasn’t big enough to break free. Grumbling SinB went limp in her position. It was futile.

As they neared a cave in the hill, she recognized a scent as one she smelled before when she was first attacked.

“Denny.”

She growled and bared her teeth, her fur standing on end.

“Well hello, ‘Eunbi’.”

“What the heck do you want now?”

Denny laughed, his tail wagging in amusement.

“Your head. Our glorious leader isn’t too happy I didn’t manage to get you killed.”

“Then just do it.”

SinB glared at Denny who stared back. Unnerved? Maybe.

He paced around and thought over things before coming to a conclusion.

“Okay, so this is your back from the dead ceremony.”

“What?”

“You’ve seen what we’ve been hiding haven’t you?”

“…”

“Well, you’re going to go fight the thing.”

“Why?”

Denny chortled.

“Don’t you remember that you earned your title because of your fighting skills?”

SinB cursed in her head. . Why was she just so perfect? She sighed internally, ‘someone tell Yerin unnie that her pancakes are the best in the world and that I wished I could apologize to her.’

“Your fight is tomorrow after lunch, your final meal. Hah, good luck you scrawny *****.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sowon scrunched her face as the light shined on her eyes.

“Uh?”

She looked over to the kitchen, Yerin was robotically making breakfast.

“Yerin? Did you eat your medicine?”

“Yes.”

“Uhm, are you okay?”

Yerin looked up at Sowon with her soulless eyes, scaring the doctor some. She wasn’t used to seeing Yerin so, lifeless.

“I’m fine.”

“Okay, if you say so. I’m going to go out and find SinB for you alright?”

Yerin made no response, turning to her cereal and milk. Pouring it into her bowl carefully.

“Yerin?”

Sowon got up and pulled her bestie into a hug. Blinking back her own tears, she held Yerin tightly.

“It’ll be okay alright? I’m sure she didn’t mean all of that.”

“Doesn’t mean she didn’t mean some of it.”

Sowon pet Yerin’s hair.

“If she does, I’ll hurt her. But you wouldn’t like that.”

Yerin finally reached up to hold Sowon’s waist.

“Unnie don’t go.”

“I have to.”

“Why?”

“Because this is as much of my business as it is theirs.”

“What do you mean?”

Sowon sighed and walked into the bedroom. Yerin waited for her to come back, only to look down at a golden retriever.

Hearing a whine, Yerin leaned down.

“Unnie?”

Sowon nuzzled into Yerin’s hand, as if saying I’m sorry. Letting Sowon pad back to the bedroom, she waited for human Sowon to come back. When she did, Yerin hugged her tightly.

“Why did you hide it?”

“Because this situation would happen. And it would’ve happened whether SinB came here or not. Because I’m here.”

Sowon wrapped her arms around Yerin’s neck.

“I’m sorry.”

“Well, then you knew that SinB, Yuju and Eunha were all shifters?”

“Of course.”

“How did they not know?”

“I haven’t shifted into that form ever since I met you. I’m not surprised if my scent comes off more human than dog.”

=======================

Aye, the finale is coming.....