16

WIND MESSAGES
 

WIND MESSAGES

CHAPTER 16

 

Keithia never thought she’d look forward to a Monday morning. It was strange to pull out from the covers seemingly settled with a morning routine. A hum of the microwave with her oatmeal, the mellow voice of the newscaster on TV, the appetizing scent of her black coffee on the pot; her morning was like every other lest savouring the peace in the moments passed. The bus ride felt too right with the radio in her earphones. Keithia scoffed, how unnerving it was to realize peace is in the palm of her hands. A woman like her knows how to recognise the calm before the storm. Mental preparedness was enough, for now.

Heels clicked on the pavement as the approached the welcoming doors to the lobby, the scent of freshly brewed espresso wafted through the air as colleagues walked by with their morning caffeine fix. Normally Keithia would have greeted Bernice but it seemed a rude visitor was yelling at the poor receptionist. Bernice made eye contact and reading the receptionist’s expression Keithia knew she should turned to her heels, however her feet had another agenda as they walked towards the reception.

“I’m telling you I need to see the new chick with Mr Bang Yongguk! Do you know who I am?!” the visitor shouted at the receptionist. Keithia folded her arms and bit her cheek, suppressing the urge to swing a fist at the lady.

“No and I’m not quite sure as to why you’d like to meet me, lady.” Jieun turned around, surprised to see the person she was looking for. A glance over Keithia’s shoulder onto a Yongguk’s expression.

 “Speak of the devil and he shall arrive.” She smirked. Taking a good look at Keithia’s outfit, the woman spoke up “Look at you and your flirty face, how did a low life like yourself get a job here?”

“The interview was easy. My turn, can you apologise to our receptionist? That is not how you speak to Bernice.”

“Where did you get your connections from?”

“Excuse me?”

“What did Yongguk see in you? I mean he doesn’t have any power in this company but how on earth is someone like you here?”

“I see nothing but a capable colleague in her.” Yongguk’s voiced, coming to stand by Keithia who noticed his stern expression.

“And what exactly is someone like me?” she asked. Colleagues of various ranks quietly noted the scene unfolding in the lobby, just what Keithia didn’t want.

Jieun scoffed, “A closet . I know a when I see one.” She waved at Keithia’s outfit. Look at the stitching on the hem of your skirt, it can tell you’ve tried to sew it up again. What’s it like to get naughty in the office? Did Yongguk break your button for you to safety pin your shirt up today?”

“Song Jieun!” Yongguk growled in a terrifying voice that echoed through the lobby, no one noticed a suited man walked up to the trio until a loud smack sounded in the air. Listeners from afar assumed Bang Yongguk had slapped a woman, but people witnessing the scene first hand stood there wide eyed.

Kwon Jiyong’s red hand matched a woman’s red cheek. “Do not. Taint. Her character.” Jiyong glared at Jieun.

“Apologise.” Keithia spoke up, pulling her brother away from the woman as he continued to seethe. “I’m so disappointed in you. It’s not your mess to begin with, so apologise and compensate for it.”

Jiyong shook his head. “Slapping a woman is nothing, I will do anything to protect you,-”

“Don’t fall in my gaze more than you already have,” Keithia spoke in a chillingly calm voice. “And don’t get involved in my life if you’re not going to deal with the consequences.”

Jieun scoffed, “I didn’t think you’d have a sugar daddy under control. You can keep your pathetic apology, I’ll get you back for this tenfold.” The woman turned away, walking out the front door.

 

I'm a final year student, spare me y'all this is my stress relif <3 .