Chapter 8: About You

The Biggest Mistake in My Life
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Hyung? I don’t understand…” Siwon asked, a sense of panic ran through him.

“You can’t do this to me, Oppa!” Yuri protested as she tried to break free from Yunho’s hand. Yunho ignored them and continued to drag her out of the room. Kangin was standing by the door, looking at the younger girl sympathetically. “Yah Kwon Yunho, let her go. Let’s talk about this calmly,” Kangin try to calm his friend down.

“You know how this girl, she can be very stubborn,” Yunho sighed and loosening his grip, still not letting his sister away from his grasp. “We’ll have a talk… with Appa. Listen to me just this time, Yul,” he asked calmly.

“I don’t want to go home,” Yuri snapped. She knows that her brother is as just overprotective as their father; so in order to win this fight, she has to have Yunho on her side. Yunho is her only hope to convince her father.

“Why don’t you two talk downstairs, you know, before going home to your father,” Kangin suggested. He knows that the siblings inherited their stubbornness from their father. If anything, Kangin thought that it will be better if they sorted the problems between themselves first.

Yuri mouthed thank-you to Kangin. Her Youngwoon oppa has always been her life-safer, so to speak. He always be the one who saved Yuri when Yunho scold her whenever she’s making troubles – probably because this Youngwoon oppa is also the one who taught her all the mischievous acts she does. But of course, this time is different. Yuri wasn’t pulling pranks on her classmates like years ago. This time, she just wants to keep her baby.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

The three of them were sitting on the middle of the empty bar. Kangin told them to talk about this calmly, while he went to the back. He still has loads of things to do on the office, he said. They sat in an uncomfortable silence before Siwon finally asked, “Tell me what happens, Yuri.”

Yuri exhaled dejectedly. She hates to admit that she has something is chronically wrong with her immune system. She hates to admit than in a way or another, she’s dying.

“I’m sick. It’s called Lupus… my immune system is overly defensive that it damaging my body cells and tissues instead of just protecting it. To say it simply, my immune system is being over-protective that it kills me slowly,” Yuri said calmly, emphasizing on the word ‘over-protective’.

She took another breath before continued, “It’s a fatal disease but it’s treatable. There’re two things that women with Lupus have to avoid the most; sunlight… and pregnancy. I had my fight with sunlight, and now I’m dealing with it just fine. I‘ll be fine with this too, Oppa, you really shouldn’t worry.”

“Are you trying to fool me, Yul? I’ve talked to your doctor, and he told me how risky it is for you to be pregnant.”

“This pregnancy is risky, but it doesn’t mean it’s impossible,” Yuri said calmly. Siwon was about to say something but he decided to close his mouth shut. He can tell that Yuri has more to say on this matter.

“I know what I’m doing, Oppa. Five years ago, they told me I have to avoid sunlight at all cost. I have to live in darkness to put my immune system at ease. I told Appa that I want to live normally… going to school like the other kids. At first it was hard, but then I’m getting used to it. I was also told to keep my physical activity to minimal, but I love soccer so I want to play… with the help of my coach, I was able to make it happen,” Yuri let a bitter laugh escapes her lips.

 “Is that why you had individual practices?” Siwon asked. When he tried to look for a time for them to have a private talk, he learned that Yuri often had a separate individual soccer practices -- mostly after the rest of the team finished their practices. He found it odd, but he didn’t bother to read any further back then.

“Yes… it was to avoid the direct sunlight. Coach Park knows about my condition, that’s why she asked me to leave the team when I told her I’m pregnant. She believes me that I’ll overcome this… Look, all I need is supports, then I’ll do fine,” Yuri reassured.

“I just want to keep my baby, Oppa… if my condition ever gets worse, it might be impossible for me to get pregnant. This could be my only chance to have a child of my own,” Yuri’s voice trailed off.

Yunho sat serenely, looking at his sister’s pleading eyes. He knows it’s no use to argue with Yuri’s stubbornness, but then again his sister has proven herself that she’s way stronger than what she should be. He found nothing wrong with her reasoning, except that the pregnancy will put her life in greater risk… but does it worth the risk? Illegitimate baby or not, it does deserve a chance to live.

Yunho took a deep breath, “We’ll have to consult your doctor first.”

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

“This is a high-risk pregnancy to the both of the mother and the unborn child. Miss Kwon, you’ll have to undergo a specialized care during your pregnancy and after the delivery if you decide to keep the baby. Are you sure about this?” the calm middle-aged doctor asked.

“Yes, Dr. Kim. I’m sure,” Yuri answered firmly. The doctor has been taking care of her ever since she was diagnosed with the disease. Since then, Yuri has to meet the fatherly doctor every once in month to check up her condition.

“You’ll need to meet me and an obstetrician every once in a week to monitor you and your baby’s condition… starting from tomorrow. You really have to do it, Yuri-yah… no more skipping a check up, okay? You have another life to be looked after now,” the doctor playfully warned her.

“I know,” Yuri smiled and took a glance to her brother. Yunho hastily gave her a nod of approval.

“Don’t worry Mr. Kwon, your sister is a fighter. Have a faith in her,” dr. Kim reassured. He then averting his gaze to the quiet Siwon, “And you, young man, you’ll have to take care of her more. Pregnant ladies are usually more emotional and will have lots of mood swings, but since it’s a high-risk pregnancy; make sure she’s completely free from stress, okay?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter