Chapter 5: The Truth Hurts

The Biggest Mistake in My Life
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I’m pregnant.”

Silence filled the cold air of the town’s dock as Yuri revealed the truth. The abandoned dock has always been silent and eerie, adding the tension between the two people. Siwon took a step back as he grasped her words. His stomach lurched as he realized that Yuri must not be joking, her face said it all. It was obvious that she had been crying earlier – even though now she was expressionless, as if trying to look tough and strong in front of him. Her straight face with traces of tears made Siwon felt even more uneasy.

“A-are you sure?” Siwon cleared his throat.

“I’ve checked at the hospital. I’m four months pregnant,” Yuri said as she looking away, far to the still lake. She was hiding another drop of tears down from her eyes.

Siwon felt how his heart beats faster. The fact that Yuri is pregnant with his baby was just too much from him to take. Knowing that her family has tragic history with unwanted pregnancy, he could only guess how much worse Yuri takes this. Siwon thinks that if anyone is to blame, he’s the one at fault. He had been careless; he could have prevented this from happening. Another unsettling silence ensues as Siwon was completely lost in his own thoughts.

Yuri had prepared herself to be left alone in this, just like how her sister was. They say history repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce. For a moment there, Yuri feels like she is the joke. She had prepared herself to stand strong as the whole universe to laugh at her recklessness.

“I’m going to keep my baby. You don’t have to worry… I won’t ask you to marry me or anything, I mean, we barely know each other… I just want to let you know that I will… I’ll keep my baby, with or without you --”

“Sssh, what are you talking about Yuri?” Siwon gently put his finger on her lips. He then hugged her tightly, trying to comfort her. “We’re in this together, Yuri… we'll keep our baby together. Everything will be alright,” Siwon whispered to her ear, gently her silky hair. His gestures and reactions surprised Yuri greatly, but she definitely was not complaining as she returned the hug; sobbing silently on his shoulder.

"Thank you for being here with me, Siwon... I'm scared..." Yuri muttered under her breath. A sigh of relieve escaped her lips as she smiled bitterly. Carrying his baby is not something she ever imagine, let alone the idea of raising a child with him; but now she could only be thankful. At least now she has someone to hold on to through this.

“Don't worry, everything will be alright,” he repeated his words, mostly to assure himself that everything is indeed, will be alright.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
 
By the time he opened the door to the school’s main building’s rooftop, Minho was still panting from running his way up to there. He took one deep breath, walking closer towards Yuri who was already there. She was standing motionlessly on the far left side, watching her teammates practicing without her. She didn’t move even a bit as Minho came closer, her mind was too consumed by all the problems she has.

“Yuri-noona,” Minho panicked a little as she didn’t react, “Noona, is it true you’re out from the team? Was your coach kicked you out because what I did yesterday? I’m sorry Noona, I’ve talked to Mrs. Park and explained her everything… it’s not your fault that I disturbed your practice session – but she told me to talk to you instead. It’s my fault, isn’t it? I’m sorry Noona, I -- ”

“No, no, Minho. Coach Park might be very… stern, but she has no problem with that. I’m quitting the team after a mutual agreement between me and Coach Park,” Yuri explained, trying to calm the boy down.

“But why, Noona? The competition is only two weeks away and you’ve been practicing really hard... It just doesn’t make sense... Why are you quitting, Noona? You’re lying to me, aren’t you? If it wasn’t because of me, why did she kick you out? Tell me why, Noona!” Minho demanded an explanation.

“Minho... I - I’m pregnant.”

“What?” Minho’s heart skipped a beat.

Yuri let out a small sigh.

“I’m four months pregnant. Coach Park found out about this, she told me if I want to keep the baby, I better quit the team. The baby’s daddy and I… we’ve decide to keep it,” Yuri didn’t intend to let him know this way, but he asked for it.

“Noona…” Minho heart’s lurched hearing her explanation. The fact that she said it way too calmly made bothers him even more. Minho didn’t know how to react. Four months… it’s all make sense, Minho thought. He has been with her for the past four months, seeing her breaking down, crying her heart out. Now Minho can finally guess what the reason behind all her tears.

So this is why...

“Look, Minho, you better stay away from me. You’re the only boy people know I’m close to,” Yuri put her hands on his shoulder, “They will assume that you’re my baby’s father

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter