Chapter 10: Memories

The Biggest Mistake in My Life
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The four of them were sitting quietly on the dining room.
 

Initially, Yuri just wanted to leave the house, staying away from Siwon for awhile to ease her mind and all that; but she had no choice but to stay when his mother insist her to have dinner with them. It would be rude to refuse her invitation, wouldn’t it? It was her first time meeting the lady after all – and for an unexplainable reason, Yuri feels the need to leave a good impression on her. It piqued her interest too that the lady knows who she is, yet she still treats her nicely – unlike how her father treated Siwon back then. But that’s not make Yuri feel any less uncomfortable sitting in there with the three of them, either. What happened earlier between her and Siwon still annoys her terribly and now she has to face Minho and the lady. It’s such an unfortunate timing, Yuri thought. Besides, Yuri swore she and Siwon still smelled like and it disgust her. She felt dirty.
 

“Why do you never tell me you’re dating a Kwon, Siwon-ah?” the lady asked, breaking the odd silence. Siwon found it odd how his mother sounds so amused, a complete opposite of Yuri’s father reaction. He remembers how Kwon Junghyuk said that he despises his parents. Siwon took a glance to Yuri, wondering how he should explain all the things between him and Yuri to his mother.
 

“We are not dating,” Siwon stated, Yuri slowly nodded in agreement. Siwon’s voice was clear as it was also meant for his brother, Minho to hear. Earlier, Yuri pretty much has defined their position on this situation: they’re expecting a baby together but it doesn’t necessarily means that they’re dating. But we could always start over, he thought. All he wants to do is to be fully responsible for the baby and its mother; and the only way to do so is by marrying her and giving the baby a complete family.
 

“Not yet,” Siwon lamely add. From the corner of his eyes he could see both Yuri and Minho unapproving look, but he could care less.
 

“Well, that’s interesting because that’s not what Kwon Junghyuk told me,” the lady took a time to enjoy the startled expressions of her son and the girl. She continued, “Yuri-yang, your father called me the other day… he told me that my son deflowered his youngest daughter and now taking her to elope. I know he was talking about you, Yuri-yang. Just now, both of you denied that you’re dating… so tell me, did your father lie to me?”
 

“W-we… we’re not dating… but –“ Yuri stopped. She wasn’t sure how to continue. She could clearly feel how her cheeks flushed. Even though she has prepared herself for this, but she was too bewildered to answer the question properly.
 

“But?”
 

“Her father told you no lies. She’s having my baby, Umma,” Siwon said carefully, he stopped to see his mother reaction. She was stay still but her eyes told him to continue, “Her father wants to get rid of the baby so I take her with me. I’m going to marry her, but not anytime soon.”
 

“Why, you still need time to make sure if the baby is really yours?” she let a small laugh, asking the question as if it was some inside joke.
 

“Umma!” Siwon protested at his mother’s joke, “I know it’s mine… she was a . It just that she… we… we’re not ready for a marriage yet.”
 

Yuri’s cheeks were reddening even more. She couldn’t understand how Siwon and his mother can be so comfortable talking about this, as if it wasn’t much of a big deal. She also noticed how Minho looked like he wasn’t surprised at how his step-mother’s calmness either. “Well, if you say so,” the lady averting her gaze to Yuri. “How long it has been, dear?” she asked, smiling gently to her.
 

“Sixteen weeks,” Yuri answered quietly. She wasn’t sure what she supposed to react or to feel about her warm smile. It was a motherly smile she has been longing ever since she was a child but at the same time, Yuri was a bit offended at how the lady was so carefree about the matter that has turned her life upside down. There’s something about how the woman acts that overwhelmed her.
 

“Yuri-yang, do you probably won’t know this but your late mother and I was best friends,” she smiled; Yuri flinched in anticipation at the mention of her mother whom she barely remembers. She passed away when Yuri was very young that she has so little memory about her. Back then, Yuri would ask her older sister, Boa, to tell her stories about their mom because she was the only one Yuri could talk about their mom with. Her father and brother seem to opt not to talk about those who passed away. When her sister died, she felt like the memories of her mother went away along with her. Now that Siwon’s mother said that she was friend with her mother, Yuri’s gleamed with pure anticipation.
 

“We knew each other since high school -- both of your parents, my husband and I; your mother is the best friend I ever had. My soul mate – if you may,” she let out a small laugh, reminiscing the old memories, “You know what’s funny? When you were born, Siwonnie here was just ten months old. Your mom and I joked we should marry off the two of you, so we could be a real family. It’s funny how things turned out to be, yes?”
 

The lady paused for awhile before continued, “But, of course, things are very different now - Do you know whose fault is this, Minho?”
 

Minho tensed up from the sudden mention of his name. He never gets along well with his step-mom, she will always blame him for everything… but what is this have to do with him? Minho froze in confusion.
 

“Your mother,” the lady smiled menacingly, enjoying the startled look on Minho’s face. “That harlot mother of yours, Minho,” she added calmly; Minho gritted his teeth on the insult.
 

Siwon's mother let out a small laugh before continuing, “Ah, this is such a small world... your mom was a friend of mine, too, Minho. You see, for the longest time, I thought she’s my best friend… along with Yooseon, Yuri's mother. I thought the three of us were best friends... but I was terribly wrong. Your mom is not my best friend, Minho, because best friends don’t sleep with your husband, right, Yuri-yang?” the lady said, having no idea how her words affected the girl greatly.

 

Yuri’s heart lurched at how the lady’s words fit her… she wonder if Tiffany would hate her as much as the lady hate her ‘best friend’ when she found out about all this mess. Siwon knew what was on Yuri’s mind and instinctively held her hand, as if to remind her that it’s different – he never was Tiffany’s to begin with. His touch made her feel guiltier, but at the same time she can’t denied how comforting it was – how it made her feel a bit better. Yuri reminded herself how wrong it is. 
 

As if telling some old family story, she calmly continued, “I don’t know what men see in a tramp like her, but your father loves her like no other, even though he already had an amazing woman as his wife…your mother. When that tramp died, your father blamed me and my husband for her death, saying that we’re responsible for her sufferings. It’s not like she did not deserve all those misery, you know? It’s crazy how that tramp alone could ruin our years of friendship.”

 

"Please... please stop talking about my mother like that..." Minho weakly pleaded, his anger was visible along with his defeat.

 

"Why? You can always leave if you don't like what I say. Besides, I'm only talking about the truth."

 

“Umma,” Siwon quietly warned her mother.


“Minho, don’t you understand? If it’s not because of you and your mother, everyone else would have been happier… My Siwonnie and Yuri wouldn’t have to do this just to keep their baby; we would probably already arrange a marriage for them. We would all be happy for our future grandchild… but of course, that’s not what happening right now,” she said in a sense of solemnity.


Usually, whenever his mom antagonizing Minho like this, Siwon would defend him by saying if she wants to blame someone, blame only Minho’s mother – because Minho is innocent in this matter; but this story about her relationship with the Kwons is new, unheard of. Siwon wasn’t sure how to react; especially now knowing that Minho’s mom was her best friend… so that’s why she hates her so much, he thought. For his mother, Minho's mom was not 'only' a mistress of her husband but also a best friend that betrayed her. This also why he couldn’t say anything to def

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter