Chapter 6: Between the Past and the Future

The Biggest Mistake in My Life
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Choi Siwon and Kwon Yuri were sitting uncomfortably on the couch, exchanging anxious glances. Siwon squeezed her hand gently; trying to ease off her nervousness. Sitting in front of them was Yuri’s father, Kwon Junghyuk. He raised his eyebrows, signaling them to start talking.

Earlier last night, Siwon had prepared on what he’s going to say to Junghyuk. Now that he was in front of him, Siwon didn’t really know how to begin. There’s something about Kwon Junghyuk that makes him feel nervous, intimidated. It’s not only because he was about to tell the older man that he impregnated his daughter, but there’s more to the nervousness he feels. The way Kwon Junghyuk fixed his gaze on him is those of unsettling stare. Siwon can feel how the man has already disliked him, even before he reveals the truth.

“I’m asking your permission to marry your daughter,” Siwon said carefully. He thought it was better to say that first, but Junghyuk showed no reaction. After a beat he cleared his throat and continued, “Yuri is pregnant with my baby.”

Kwon Junghyuk opened his mouth in surprise, his eyes were still fixed on Siwon. He was giving him a prolonged, unreadable look. “I’m sorry, Appa… I’m really sorry…” Yuri said quietly. She didn’t dare to look him in the eye. Now that her father is unexpectedly calm – for the lack of better word, it made her feel even more uneasy. That wasn’t how he reacted when Boa told him that she was pregnant. Yuri started to worry, this is very different than what she expected.

“What’s your name?” Junghyuk asked.

Siwon raised his eyebrows, he forgot to introduce himself. “My name is Choi Siwon, Sir.”

Junghyuk’s lips pursed into a cold smirk, “Of course. As expected. Choi Siwon, son of Choi Chilhyun and Lee Aemi. Am I right?”

Siwon was taken aback, he noded slowly, “Yes, sir”. He had no idea that Junghyuk know his parents. It’s really odd, he thought; his family was just moved into this town three years ago. His parents never mentioned about knowing the Kwons, even when the scandal of their oldest daughter erupted.

Junghyuk burst into a distressed laughter. This definitely not the kind of reaction both Yuri and Siwon had expected. The exchanged confused look, partly scared of his unexpected reaction.

“I should've known. You... you resemble your father a lot. It disgusts me,” Junghyuk said coldly. He continued, “What? Do your parents told you to come here? Do your parents planned all of this?"

"No.. no, Sir. They don't know anything... yet. I'm here to ask your permission for marrying your daughter..."

"Do you know how much I hate your parents? So no, I won’t let you marry my daughter. In fact, I won’t even let you come near her. Get out of my house now!” Junghyuk yelled as he rose from his seat. He grabbed Yuri’s hand, pulling her closer to him. “Appa…” Yuri was shocked at the sudden twist.

“I – I don’t understand…” Siwon’s eyes widened in confusion, he unconsciously rose from his seat, following Junghyuk’s suit. He gave Yuri a quick look. Junghyuk scoffed. “Your parents, they’ve ruined the life of a woman I love. I won’t let you do the same thing. I will never let you ruin my daughter’s life any further. Now get out of my house,” Junghyuk hissed.

“Get out of my house,” Junghyuk repeated. Siwon stood still, unrecovered from the unexpected reaction. Junghyuk yelled to summon his bodyguards, ordering them to get Siwon out of his house. As the two bodyguards enter the living room, they quickly commence the order by forcefully drag Siwon out of the house. “But sir, I don’t un– I don’t have anything to do with what my parents did,” Siwon voice faded as he was being dragged away further.

“Appa! What are you doing?” Yuri protested, her voice cracked in disbelief. “I… I need him. We’ve promised to raise our baby together,” Yuri hates how she sounded so weak. Junghyuk cupped his daughter’s face in his firm hand, staring deeply into her sullen eyes.

“Do you know how much I’m disappointed in you? Listen to me now, just abort the baby. I’ll set you an appointment with dr. Kim tomorrow. Get rid of the baby, and everything will be back to normal,” Junghyuk said rather calmly.

 “No… this is not it… Appa, I’m going to keep my baby,” Yuri trailed off. She felt strength was run out of her body.

 “Listen, Yuri, you know you’re always my favorite, right? I’m doing this for you… that boy and the baby will only make you suffer, I won’t let that happen. Do you understand? I’m doing this for you,” Junghyuk reassured.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter