Chapter 18: Magnanimous

The Biggest Mistake in My Life
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It’s been exactly one week since Yuri was rushed to the hospital after fainting. The doctor in charge confirmed that she’s ready to be discharged today.

 

"Are we ready to go?" Siwon asked.

 

“Yeah, we are,” Yuri nodded slowly. She was slightly swayed as she walked to where Siwon stood.

 

“Are you sure you’re already feeling okay, Yuri?” he asked perturbedly, carrying her bag which he retrieved from Kangin’s place few days earlier. Frowning, his free hand firmly held hers as they continued walking.

 

“I’m fine,” Yuri reassured. She glanced at the older boy, wondering what’s going on his mind because he obviously looks bothered. It’s not hard to notice how Siwon has been looking so distressed lately and it makes her worry. The previous night, he loosely mentioned about getting into a disagreement with his father. However, Yuri refrained from asking question because every time she asked, he kept on insisting that it’s not a big deal.

 

As soon as they’re exiting the hospital, Siwon slowly led the pregnant girl right to the parking lot. He noticed the puzzled look on her face as he took her to the car park.

 

“I sold my bike,” Siwon quietly explained, “and I bought this instead.”

 

“A pick-up truck?” Yuri said in disbelieve as the older boy stopped in front the old, white pick-up truck. “Why? I thought you love your bike,” Yuri promptly questioned; she has heard how the guy cherished his black muscular 250cc motorcycle so it was so odd of him to sell it out of nowhere. Besides, seeing how well-off his family is, he might just as well buy the car without have to sell his treasured motorcycle.

 

“Well, it’s much more convenient than a bike, don’t you think? I don’t want you get soaked in the rain like the other day… it’s not good for our baby,” Siwon hastily excused.

 

Yuri said nothing as he helped her to get into the car; she felt that there’s something off with his explanation, but still, his reasoning overwhelmed her nonetheless.

 

The first thing she noticed was how unexpectedly comfortable the seat was. The interior of the white pick-up truck wasn’t as bad as the exterior looks like. “It’s a second-hand… but everything is working well, the heater, the air-con… Do you like it?” Siwon asked with a clumsy smile.

 

“Yeah, it’s good,” Yuri quietly said, watching the older boy closely as he the engine and, slowly but surely, drove the truck out of the parking lot.

 

After a moment of silence passed, Yuri hesitantly asked, “So, where are we going? Are we going to Youngwoon oppa’s place? Or…”

 

“No, we aren’t going to Kangin hyung’s loft but somewhere nearby -- we’re going to my place,” Siwon cautiously answered, eyes still focused on the road. Just when Yuri was about to raise another question – this is not the way to his home, Siwon immediately said, “There’s something I need to tell you.”

 

Their eyes met for a brief moment as Siwon made a quick glance to the younger girl, a hollow almost-smile tugged on the corner of his lips; ”I’ll explain everything when we got there – in my place.”

 

“Well, if you say so,” Yuri raised her eyebrows.

 

She didn’t take her eyes out of him just yet, wondering just what in the world he needs to explain --did something go wrong? She could easily saw his tenseness, recalling the sense of disquiet behind his words. It might be because of the remaining fatigue she had, but she could only sigh and say nothing else. She gazed out of the vehicle’s window and let her weariness took over her, slowly drifting both of them to the familiar silence once again.

 

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

 

Kwon Junghyuk took a deep breath before answering the long awaited phone call.

 

“Kwon sajang-nim*),”the man on the other line greeted his boss.

 

“Have you found my daughter?” asked Junghyuk heavily.

 

“Yes, Sajang-nim. We tracked her whereabouts through her bank account. Its latest activity was at Han-il Hospital – evidently, she was hospitalized there for the past seven days and discharged early this morning. Miss Yuri and her unborn baby are now alright, Sajang-nim,” the guy explained with an unmistakable composure.

 

The middle-aged man gnashed his teeth in botheration, mostly for the fact that his youngest daughter had to be hospitalized again after awhile. He was worrying about her condition, knowing well how she hates being in hospital for too long. Knowing too well how Yuri, somehow, always manages to look stronger than she actually is. ‘Are you truly alright now, Yuri?’

 

Then there’re other things that bothered him, “Where is she now? Is the boy still with her?”

 

“Yes, Sajang-nim. He is still with her. In fact, just a moment ago they just arrived to a cabin near Jin-yang Lake. The cabin is located near Sacheon border--”

 

Junghyuk’s eyes widened at the mention of the place; he no longer paying attention to his subordinate’s account of the cabin’s location because it is unnecessary; Kwon Junghyuk knows where the place is. He went there several times before; a long time ago when he was still in good relationship with Choi Siwon’s parents. Truthfully, the place held no special memories for him; maybe except for the fact that he was there because he was, indeed, a dear friend of the family.

 

But that was a long time ago and things have changed.

 

“—it seems they’re going to stay there for awhile, Sajang-nim.”

 

Kwon Junghyuk pondered sardonically; ‘the boy is still staying with her, but for how long?’ He recalled the conspicuously new information, his daughter paid for the hospital bills on her own money – that’s how his men found them. Junghyuk couldn’t decide if that was an event of his daughter’s infamous stubbornness, she unquestionably would insist to pay on her own; or if that was a perfect example of why he simply can’t trust his daughter to the son of his former best friends.

 

“Kwon sajang-nim?”

 

The middle-aged man drew a deep breath before responding, “Keep an eye on them. I’ll give you a new order, soon.”

 

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

 

“We’re going to stay here from now on, Yuri,” said Siwon.

 

“So this is your place?” Yuri asked nonchalantly, watching him unlocking the main door into the cabin.

 

 “Yeah. I can’t believe I almost forgot this place existed. When I was a kid, I used to spend my summer vacations here… This was my late grandfather’s; he willed this place to me, so yeah, technically this is my place,” Siwon explained.

 

He studied her reaction as the girl observed the long-abandoned, small but cozy wooden cabin. “It needs some cleaning, but it is nice isn’t it?”

 

Yuri plainly nodded in agreement. The place was very nice, actually. Located near the lake, the cabin’s so-called small living room has a great view to the natural scenery. She continued to gaze around the place. The neat pantry, completed with a stove, a small refrigerator, and a breakfast table; the sofa and the coffee table; the numerous photographs which decorates the wooden wall – Yuri concluded that this place is indeed a family vacation cabin of some sort.

 

She remained quiet as Siwon went on, “That’s the bathroom, and this is the bedroom. There’s only one bedroom here, but don’t worry --“

 

He opened the door to the bedroom. Yuri tilted her head for a better view inside the room.

 

“—there’re two beds here. I hope you don’t mind sharing a room with me, Kwon Yuri,” said Siwon, unexpectedly, there’s a faint of playfulness in his tone. She only shook her head in agreement as she saw the two single beds separated by a nightstand.

 

After awhile, Siwon anxiously led the younger girl back to the living room, motioning her to take a seat on the sofa.

 

Yuri waited until Siwon joined her on the sofa before she calmly said, “Well? You said there’s something you need to tell me.”

 

“Oh, yes. Well…” Siwon stopped, unable to lift another word upon his lips. Yuri stared at him, patiently waiting for him to continue.

 

“Well, uh,” he finally began, “I’m an idiot.”

 

“Huh.”

 

With a lower, more serious tone he explained, “I got kicked out from my house and, apparently, my dad just terminated my bank account.”

 

“But I thought your father is okay with this… You said---“

 

“Yes, that’s exactly why I am an idiot,” Siwon sighed in despair, “He was okay and accepting but then… but then he said he don’t wanna have something to do with your father either. He suggests you and our baby shoul

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter