Old friends

Joy Sanctuary


Sungmin got up from her seat hearing Mrs Cho's voice and Mrs Cho ran in and hugged her, repeatedly asking how she was. Walking back to his living room, Kyuhyun started introducing the newcomers to Mr and Mrs Lee "Ommonim, and Aboenim, this is my mother and father, Mr and Mrs Cho, and this is Ryeowook, our senior teacher and also my deputy, and this is her husband" Kyuhyun said politely. 

Mrs Cho, realising there were other guests, looked at where the guests were seated, then gasped "Kyeongsuk?" 

"Hanna?" 

Both Mrs Cho and Mrs Lee said at the same time! 

Both women practically ran to each other and hugged. The rest looked at them with confused look and both Sungmin and Kyuhyun looked at each other, and Kyuhyun shrugged his shoulder.  Holding Sungmin's waist, he gestured for her to sit down again at the sofa. 

Kyuhyun took two chairs from his dining table and gestured for Ryeowook and Jongwoon to sit too. Mr Lee and Mr Cho shooked hands and Kyuhyun asked his dad to sit next to Mr Lee.  Kyuhyun himself sat at the arm rest next to Sungmin. 

"You two knew each other?" Kyuhyun asked after the mothers' hugging and crying and laughing has ended. 

"Yes, Kyu, Kyeongsuk and I was in the same middle school and we were in our school choir. We were good friends back then but later Kyeongsuk's family moved so her parents transfered her to another school" Mrs Cho said sadly, 

"We moved to Ilsan, and I was transfered to a school near our family house. Hanna and me wrote to each other frequently, but then we lost contact after high school" Mrs Lee said sadly, looking at Mrs Cho. 

"My father bought a sanctuary in the countryside, and we moved there, and my parents, and later my husband Younghwan and I, dedicated our lives to teach handicapped and less fortunate children from poor families. Kyuhyun took over managing the sanctuary now, so he juggled between the sanctuary and his current job as an architect" Mrs Cho told Mrs Lee and the rest started to understand how Mrs Cho and Mrs Lee lost contact of each other. 

"So, it seems like these are all God's arrangement! Kyuhyun met Sungmin and you two meet again!" Mr Cho said happily, and the rest nodded their heads happily.

To Sungmin, all these were like a dream came true. She didn't expect her mother to know Kyuhyun's mother and that they were once good friends! Does this mean that they would get their blessings for sure?? 

Sungmin slowly straightened her leg as she started to feel cramps. 

"Are you ok?" Kyuhyun said, noticing her grimacing due to the pain. 

"I haven't take my medicines and now I feel the cramp" she said softly, looking up at Kyuhyun who had bent down to massage her leg. 

"So sorry, Min, coz I called the pizza guys to add more orders, that's why they are not here yet. I get you bread and eggs first? The one that you fried? You need to eat something before taking your meds" 

"It's okay, Kyu. I can bear the pain. I'll take the meds after the pizza" 

"No, you better lie down to rest your leg. Let me carry you" and before she could stop Kyuhyun, he scooped her up into his arms "Sorry everyone, let Sungmin rest for a while. She started to feel cramps on her injured leg" and Kyuhyun bowed a bit and walked to his bedroom with Sungmin in his arms, bridal style. 

"Kyu.... I'm ok, I can walk..." Sungmin said on the way to their bedroom. 

"It's faster if I carry you" he put Sungmin down gently and adjusted her leg to rest properly on the bed. "I need to show your parents that I'm a husband material, you know" Kyuhyun said jokingly and playfully pinched Sungmin's nose. 

"You are already a husband material to me" Sungmin said smiling sweetly. 

Kyuhyun chuckled and kissed her "I get the bread and eggs, and your medicines. Wait here" and he got up and left to go to the kitchen. 

"Hanna, your son is so caring! He really takes good care of my Sungminnie!!" Mrs Lee commented softly but happily to Mrs Cho. 

Mr Lee then spoke up "If I may know, how did Sungmin got injured? She was there at the Sanctuary for work?" 

It was Ryeowook who answered "Actually Sungmin-ssi was volunteering to teach baking class on that Saturday. It was a success as a lot of students joined the class. It was only after the class that Sungmin-ssi dropped by the construction area as one of the project manager need to enquire something". 

"Yes, and I heard that Sungmin accidentally stepped on some planks that were covering the unfinished flooring, and the planks gave way and she hurt her leg as it got trapped between those planks. We are so sorry that the mishap happened" Mr Cho was apologetic towards Sungmin's parents. 

"It's alright, we are not blaming anybody. It's just a mishap and I'm glad that Sungmin is ok. We must thank Kyuhyun for taking good care of Sungmin" Mr Lee said, smiling at Mr Cho to assure him that everything is ok. 

"Hanna, why not we set a date for their wedding? It seemed to me that they really love each other!" Mrs Lee was holding Mrs Cho's hand. 

"Yes, let's set a date!! I can't wait to have Sungmin as my daughter-in-law!!" 

Sungmin had just taken her meds when the doorbell rang, and Kyuhyun called Ryeowook from his bedroom door "Wook and hyung, can help me? It must be the pizza guy". 

Indeed, the pizza arrived and Ryeowook helped to set the table and took out some plates.  Kyuhyun came out from his bedroom with Sungmin's medication and told Ryeowook to set the pizzas buffet style so that anybody can just walked over and take the pizza and then they could sit again at the living room. 

"Heyy baby, wake up, pizza is here. I carry you out?" Kyuhyun shooked her slowly. Apparently, Sungmin had fallen asleep. 

"Hmmm..?" 

"Pizza is here. Let's eat with the rest" Kyuhyun combed her hair with his hand lovingly. 

"Ohh sorry Kyu, I must have fallen asleep" Sungmin got up slowly, holding on to Kyuhyun. He smiled and pecked her lips, and held her closer to help her up. 

"Kyuhyun, is Sungminnie sleeping?" suddenly Mrs Lee was at the bedroom door. She was surprised that they were hugging in the bedroom. 

Seeing her stunned face, Kyuhyun quickly said "She just awake, Ommonim. I was helping her up". 

"Ahh, ok. You should let her lie down in her room, so that she don't have to bother you too much" 

Not wanting Sungmin's mother to know that they are actually already sleeping together, Kyuhyun said "It's alright Ommonim, her medicines were here just now, so I carried her here". 

"I see, ok. Sungminnie, can you walk? Let's eat" and she waited for Sungmin to start walking. Kyuhyun gestured Sungmin to go ahead, and passed the crutches to her and helped her to steady herself. 

"Sorry Kyu, I know you wanted to carry me" Sungmin whispered. 

"It's ok" Kyuhyun whispered back and smile and then waited to walk behind Sungmin. So, eventhough Mrs Lee has given her blessings, he would still need to be careful of his behaviour towards Sungmin, as apparently, she is very protective of her daughter. What if Mrs Lee insisted that she wants to take care of Sungmin? He don't think he can be separated from Sungmin now because she belongs to him, body and soul. 

While eating, the two families chatted happily about everything, and Kyuhyun thought it would be a good time to announce something. 

"Omma and Appa, Ommonim and Aboenim, Wook and hyung, I just want to make an announcement" Kyuhyun started while looking at Sungmin, who was looking questioningly at him. He smile and continued "I've proposed to Sungmin and she has agreed to marry me" and Sungmin closed shyly, and the women crowded around her to see her ring up close. "and I have seek Mr and Mrs Lee's blessings, so now, Appa and Omma, I am seeking your blessing for us to get married and to set a date for our wedding". 

"Yes, yes, we were talking about it too, Kyu" Mrs Cho happily said while nodding towards Mrs Lee. "Where would you two like to have your wedding?" 

"If Sungmin and her parents are agreeable, I would like to hold our wedding on our own Sanctuary gardens, and in early Autumn?" Kyuhyun looked at Sungmin. 

"I'm ok with the date, and I love the Sanctuary, so if Omma and Appa is ok too, I think the venue is set" Sungmin smile shyly, and added "How about 6th November?" looking up at Kyuhyun, smiling at him, who by now Kyuhyun had sat at the arm rest next to Sungmin and held her hand. 

"Is 6th November hold special meaning to you, dear?" Mrs Cho asked. 

"It was the first day when we met.  Omma, do you remember the first time I came to your Sanctuary? I was on my way to your Sanctuary to show my designs, but then I got stuck at one junction so I was late" Sungmin started shyly. 

"Yes, and she was practically pressing her car horn repeatedly and raised her voice at me for holding back the traffic!!" Kyuhyun added, teasing the now super shy Sungmin  "I walked over and informed her politely that the children were crossing towards the bus, so if she could wait for a while, but then she said she needed to pass and asked me to hold up the kids!" 

"I was late and I didn't know who Mr Cho, the architect, was. My boss asked me to send the designs over, so that was on 6th November last year..." 

"Yes, yes, I remember now dear, and Kyu, you don't even want to know who the designer was at that time!" Mrs Cho scolded Kyuhyun, who laughed and put his arm around Sungmin. 

"Yes so, both of us bumped into each other several times after that traffic incident, without knowing who each other was, and I already starting to like Sungmin because somehow we clicked easily and could just talk anything under the sun". 

"Ahhh, and you two finally know who each other is, was during that meeting in our Sanctuary, the one I showed you the classroom?" Ryeowook said, understanding the whole situation. 

"Yes, that's right, and I was very nervous at that time actually because of the meeting with Mr Cho" Sungmin laughed softly, looking at Ryeowook. 

"So, our Sanctuary held such a fond memory to our discovering or each other, that's why I think the best place to hold our wedding would be there. Is it ok?" Kyuhyun was looking at Mr and Mrs Lee. 

"Yes yes, of course!" Mrs Lee said, with Mr Lee nodding his head. "Can I visit your Sanctuary, Hanna, before the wedding, I mean?" 

"Of course Kyeongsuk! You can come anytime!" 

"How about next Saturday? I'm supposed to conduct the 2nd baking class to the kids" Sungmin suggested. 

"You are still on medical leave, Min. We can reschedule the class, don't worry about it" Kyuhyun said with concern. 

"I should be better by then, Kyu. And I was planning to teach them pumpkin pie" 

"Wow, I want to learn too!!" Ryeowook said excitedly. 

"Then I will help you. With your injured leg, I'm not going to let you do the preparations alone" Kyuhyun said with a slightly serious tone. 

"Why not I come over to help Sungminnie? Then after the class, Hanna can bring me around your Sanctuary" Mrs Lee offered. 

"Thank you Omma. Yes Kyu, of course you can help too" Sungmin smile at Kyuhyun. She was eternally grateful to him for always ensuring that she is alright.

"Ok great, then we can check the garden for the wedding venue too since the wedding is only 3 months away" Mrs Lee said, and added "and Sungminnie, you go back with us today so that we can take care of you". 

"Omma, Kyuhyun is taking care of me and we need to go back to the hospital for my follow-up treatment. Please don't worry about me" Sungmin pleaded with her mother. 

"But you have troubled Kyuhyun enough. We can take care of you" Mrs Lee was still trying to be persistent. 

Though Kyuhyun felt that he didn't want to let go of Sungmin, he also didn't want to upset Mrs Lee.  He bent down towards Sungmin "Min, it's ok, you go with your parents. I pick you up for the hospital appointment in 2 days time".

Sungmin felt like crying as she didn't want to part with Kyuhyun and she knew Kyuhyun felt the same way too. She took a deep breath and nodded her head. 

"Ommonim, I'll pack Sungmin's bag" and Kyuhyun got up and walked to his wardrobe. 

Sungmin followed him, limping with her crutches and caught up with him in the wardrobe. "Kyu, I want to stay with you.." Sungmin said sadly. 

"Min, I don't want to upset your mother. In 2 days time, I fetch you for the appointment and we come back here first, ok. We can then spend some time together" Kyuhyun hugged her and later kissed her briefly. 

When everybody left, including Sungmin and her parents, Kyuhyun felt so lonely, and already missed Sungmin. 

Should he ran after them and pleaded Mrs Lee to let Sungmin stay with him??