Joy Sanctuary

Joy Sanctuary

Lee Sungmin was feeling frustrated. She was stucked in a traffic jam and she was late. Being an interior designer was sometimes stressful because she has to go from one client to another client if they could not come to their office.

Sungmin managed to turn into an alternative road, but at one junction, has to stop for children crossing. A tall guy, presumably the kids' teacher, was holding the traffic while the kids crosses safely, but they took their own sweet time!! 

She pressed her horn in short intervals to catch the Teacher's attention. He turned around and walked to her car, and she winded down her window. 

"My apologies Miss. The bus just arrived and we are getting the kids up now. Please wait for a little while" the tall guy stooped down at her window level and bowed slightly. 

"I'm really sorry but I'm in a hurry. Can I passed through first? I'm really really sorry" Sungmin tried to emphasise her urgency. 

"Ahhh ok. Let me hold the last few. These kids are mentally slow, that's why they took their time" He nodded his head and instructed the last few to hold first and signalled for Sungmin's car to pass through. 

Sungmin put up her hand to signal her thank you and drove off. Such a handsome teacher. What a waste, such a gorgeous looking man got stuck teaching mentally slow kids. 

Sungmin worked at one of Seoul's top Interior Designer, SJ Designs Inc, and her boss, Heechul, would go all out to please their clients. Problem was, he wasn't the one who have to go all out, but he got his staff to please the clients instead!

Her destination was Joy Sanctuary, an Orphanage home at 137 Simridong, in Seong Dong-gu. They wanted to build an additional block for more classrooms, and to have a lobby with good ambience for the kids or next-of-kin to sit and talk to the kids. They had approached SJ Designs through Heechul, who apparently knew the sanctuary owner, to design the classrooms and the lobby after the  additional block has been completed. 

Heechul told Sungmin that the architect who did the additional block, KH Cho, had given them the building plan and some photos of the classrooms and the lobby so that Heechul staff has some ideas what to design and present it for them to choose which suited their concept. 

Sungmin parked her car and looked for the entrance. The whole area was very well kept and very homely, with playground and a small field on the left, then the main admin building, and some other buildings behind it which Sungmin guessed must be the existing classrooms or sleeping rooms. The new building was an extension and it was on the right, and was in the midst of painting by some workers. 

Sungmin walked in and informed the reception who she was, and that she has a meeting with Mr Cho. She was asked to wait in the meeting room, which, eventhough the walls and furniture were all in teak wood, the deco was cosy and equipped with modern features such as the conference phone and auto projector. Sungmin settled down and started to get ready to prepare and show her designes to the owner. 

An elderly couple walked in and greeted Sungmin. Sungmin stood up and bowed, and introduced herself, and apologise for being late. 

"That's alright, don't worry about it. I'm Mr Cho, and this is my wife, Hanna. The owner of this sanctuary is our son, but he was out with the kids to the arts museum, so we will represent him as we know what are his preferences" 

"I see, alright, Mr and Mrs Cho. Let's start then. These are about 5 designs of the classrooms and lobby, and I have a slide too if you prefer me to project them on the wall".

The receptionist came in with 3 nice smelling tea cups, and then she bowed and left.

"Sungmin-ssi, please try our tea. It was from our own small tea plantation, all done and taken care  by the kids here" Mrs Cho gestured her to drink. 

"Really, wow, ok I will try. Thank you, Mrs Cho" Sungmin said and sip some tea. It was really fragrance and tasted nice. There was a taste of hibiscus plus rose petals and the mixture was actually superb. "It's really nice!! I can taste rose and hmmm hibiscus?" 

"Yes, it's a fusion of the two flowers. And we don't add sugar, coz it's naturally sweet" Mrs Cho told her, smiling happily at Sungmin. 

Mr Cho selected 3 designs and showed it to Mrs Cho, who after some discussions among them, selected 2 designs and looked up to Sungmin "We are very happy with all the designs but these 2 are outstanding. I like Design C because it has a periodicals corner which we can make use to place our newsletters or magazines for reading at leisure. Design B is excellent too with drinking machine and water cooler. Can we keep these two for final selection by my son? He will let Heechul know what will be the final design" Mrs Cho informed her and showed the 2 designed that she liked. 

"Sure Mrs Cho. This is the CD of all the designs. Your son can carefully look through again and decide. Just let my boss or myself know. This is my card" Sungmin passed her business card to Mrs Cho. 

"Thank you, Sungmin-ssi. You are really talented as a designer" 

"Ohh thank you Mrs Cho. I will make my move now" Sungmin bowed politely to both Mr and Mrs Cho. 

She drove out and an intersection, turned left to hit the highway. On the right, a bus drove in to the sanctuary compound and once it was parked, the door open and the kids were all excited to get down. 

"Slowly kids, one by one ok. Wook, can you get down first and help them?" Kyuhyun told his staff, Ryeowook, who immediately went down to help the kids off the bus. Ryeowook worked at the sanctuary since it was opened 4 years ago. Her husband, Jongwoon, who was also a staff here, worked as the head of social welfare, and has been there for 2 years now. 

"Alright kids, come on down" and the kids were cheering happily as they got down the bus and ran to the door where Mrs Cho stood, smiling and waving at them. 

"Kyu, Sungmin-ssi showed us 5 designs and we selected 2 for you to see. And this is the CD and her name card. You go through and inform her?" Mrs Cho told her son, Cho Kyuhyun, after he walked in and settled down on a sofa. 

"Hmmm, ok, great, how was the meeting? So sorry we were late, Omma. The bus broke down and they send a replacement bus. And then we got stuck in a jam" Kyuhyun told his mum. 

"It's alright. The meeting went well, she was very pretty and pleasant looking. Her designs are all fit to our concept, just that these 2 are the best. You should meet her. Very polite and very sweet girl" 

"Omma, I'm looking for a designer, not for a potential girlfriend. I don't have time for that" 

"Yet" her mother added, smiling. 
She must find a way for his bachelor son and Sungmin-ssi to meet!