The Misunderstood

Randomness

Doyeon could only ponder as she looked at her second eldest sister from afar, watching the television. She was always quiet and had a very serious look. She was also skilled in the aspect of art, a monster when it comes to singing.

They were always the ones left in the house. Chungha was working at America, leaving them with their parents plus the third sibling, Sohye, who rebelled and stayed with their aunt. And who was Doyeon to talk to her? She never liked her Sejeong-unnie to ever be comfortable with her.

"Yah, Doyeon." Sejeong spoke. "Get me a beer."

"You know you still can't drink beer, right?" Doyeon spoke. "You're still a minor plus we'd be screwed by Dad."

"No. You'll be the one who gets screwed." Sejeong batted. "Now shut up and get some beer."

Doyeon couldn't do anything but obey. As the youngest, she didn't have much of the rights.

+++

Doyeon visited her aunt's place and she always felt welcome. She got inside and was tackled for a hug. "Dodo~"

"Soso~" Doyeon hugged back.

Sohye grinned and sat next to her sibling. She was shocked of Doyeon's physical changes. It had been two months since she last saw her dongsaeng. "You've gone taller."

"With our Chungha-unnie staying the same." Sohye said. "How's Sejeong-unnie?"

"Alright...although..." Doyeon mumbled. "I always feel uncomfortable." 

Sohye sighed. She couldn't comfort that much too. Doyeon might feel jealous. After all, Sohye was Sejeong's favorite sibling.

"Doyeon... I'm really sorry with Sejeong-unnie. But always know that she means well. She's just...misunderstood, that's all." Sohye said.

"I just couldn't fathom much of the sudden changes with our bonds as siblings, unnie. We used to be so close, even Sejeong-unnie and Chungha-unnie used to be so close." Doyeon began. "Before we were born, Sejeong-unnie and Chungha-unnie always bonded. But now, we were always in between them in anything we do and they don't talk."

"Yeah..." Sohye sighed with her. "...not only that, oir parents have been rough on us too much. It's the reason why I left."

"But, unnie..." Doyeon mumbled. "...will you ever return?"

"I can visit but I won't return. I will be taken off of my liberty if I continued to stay." Sohye said. "You know, Sejeong-unnie wanted to come with me but I told her not to."

"I think it's why she never got decent with me." Doyeon lowered her head. "Her favorite sibling had to go whereas I stayed."

"Aish...our parents are too much sometimes. They pressure us to do this and that and they scold us too much when we make mistakes." Sohye sighed. "They favor Chungha-unnie too much, Sejeong-unnie is left out of it, and we're pampered too much in front of our unnies, especially you. But Mom and Dad had to be bastards to wreck me off of my dreams as an actress and said that it was a waste of time." Sohye sighed. "They even wrecked Sejeong-unnie's scholarship in singing because it was a waste of time."

Doyeon nodded. She sighed and decided to talk good stuff instead.

+++

Doyeon got home and Sejeong was on the couch reading a book. Doyeon thought the silence was deafening until their parents arrived. Doyeon and Sejeong paid respect and got back to the usual.

"Sejeong, cook something, please." Their Dad said.

"You cook, Doyeon." Sejeong passed the instructions.

"Why don't you help Sejeong, Doyeon?" Their Mom added.

"I don't know how. Seriously." Doyeon said.

"You useless pole." Sejeong hissed and went to cook herself.

It had always been that way since their parents became too hard on them, since she and Chungha were in bad terms, and since Sohye left their house. Doyeon thought it was hell to be treated indecently by your own sister. As the youngest, she was forced to be patient and silent. 

But sometimes, all people have their limits, right?

+++

Doyeon and Sejeong were in the same school, with Sejeong as a senior and Doyeon as a freshman. During the weekdays, they were off to see friends, learn lessons, and even go eat food of their preferences.

The weekends were the worst days as it was a tome of forced bonds and abrupt outings planned by their parents. Family time of watching a good game of volleyball was one example. Sejeong loved watching sports but she was tired. Doyeon doesn't like sports and was uninterested. But getting a call from their Mom that they must watch, they couldn't do anything to refute.

"What the , Doyeon?! Get ready already!!" Sejeong yelled. "You're wasting time!"

Doyeon was already picking clothes and had gone pissed. What made it worst was that she had to run errands for Sejeong as she prepped herself. 

"Doyeon, where's the ing towel in here?!" Sejeong yelled. "I told you to get it, didn't I?!"

"Here it is, you ing ." Doyeon hissed and threw the towel on her face.

"What did you just say?!" Sejeong glared.

Doyeon scoffed it off and said nothing. Sejeong clicked a tongue. "Yeah. Try defying me and you're getting it." Sejeong got to the room to ready her clothes. "Useless pole."

A ring makes its way to Doyeon's senses, like water boiling hard on a pot. Doyeon felt her blood boil until she lost it. Sejeong got out to take a bath when Doyeon punched her face. Sejeong was shocked bug her instincts took the best of her and punched Doyeon back.

Doyeon and Sejeong ended up with fisticuffs and neither of them didn't stop. Doyeon was saying all that she needed to say about her mistreatment as she lands a final blow at Sejeong, punching her eye.

"You think I wanted it?!" Sejeong kicks Doyeon's gut. "You think you can just say that in front of me?! You don't even know what I've been through! Now shut the up and change!"

Doyeon huffed. She coughed a lot and saw her bloody self. She coughed blood and mended her nose, ranting about Sejeong. For Sejeong, she got herself a black eye and felt bile rise up from her system.

Was she feeling guilty?

+++

Doyeon and Sejeong visited their aunt's place and didn't watch the game by their neighborhood's court. Sohye was glad to see them but she felt a tension. She checked on Doyeon and she broke down.

"Dodo! What happened?" Sohye was worried as she saw a bit of blood by Doyeon's nose.

"Ask her." Doyeon mumbled and sniffled.

"She punched me first, Sohye!" Sejeong yelled. "She went mad and fought with me!"

"What?!" Sohye was shocked she could faint. "Why?!"

"I had enough of your bulls! I had enough of you treating me like I'm nothing! Couldn't you say something nicely once?!"

Doyeon ran off to the other house and Sohye told her to wait. She looks at Sejeong first and had a vold look.

"You better tell the truth." Sohye hissed. "How could you hit Doyeon?!"

She ran off to comfort her. Sejeong stood there and wiped her tears off.

+++

Doyeon was crying helplessly as Sohye got in. Sohye didn't like to see the youngest cry as she went to comfort her.

Sohye understood Doyeon and of her situations at home. Doyeon would've been showered with a lot of love for being the youngest but when she had flaws, it was something the family pinpointed too much that Doyeon gets pressured. It was something her family did for discipline but Doyeon was too soft-hearted to handle such pressure.

Sohye knew it too well that she had to go. It pained most of the siblings that she left but she had enough. But seeing Doyeon crying helplessly, she felt guilty for not being there for her when she needed comfort.

"Doyeon, I'm so sorry." Sohye sniffled and checked her face. "Just look at yourself."

Doyeon sniffled with a bit of blood by her nose and Sohye joined her as she found out of Sejeong's assault and that Doyeon spat blood. Doyeon cried the whole day and Sohye was there to comfort her until she passed out.

+++

The feud was over with and Sejeong and Doyeon didn't bother each other ever again. They even tossed the fight aside and lived their lives without knowing each other's existences.

But like any secret, they can't be kept forever. And when their Mom checked on Sejeong of her black eye and their Dad saw a towel splattered in blood, it was going to go down.

"Doyeon!" Their mother called. 

Doyeon predicted it and she had no choice but to face it. She faced her parents and Sejeong. Their Dad wasn't expressive so he was out of it. But deep down, her was infuriated. On the other hand, their mother was expressive enough to rant of what happened to the both of them.

Doyeon explained and ended up confessing of whaf she felt towards Sejeong. Sejeong batted a lot and Doyeon had to defend herself and not be the submissive maknae that she used to be.

"You rascals. You are both girls yet you fought agressively like men. You are causing trouble again." Their Mom hissed. "Doyeon, go back to your room. I'll talk with Sejeong first."

Doyeon nodded and got inside. She waited for a sound, a voice, a sign...as long as it was something. Being older would also mean that you're more responsible. With their fiasco, Sejeong was scolded big time.

Her Mom came inside and got crossed. "Why did you punch your sister?"

"She wasn't being nice all my life and I've had enough, Mom." Doyeon sniffled. "I'm sick of being treated like nothing."

"It's still wrong. You're younger. That's disrepecful of you to hit your older sister, Doyeon." Her Mom said.

Doyeon sighed and took blame once again. She was getting sick of it.

+++

Doyeon and Sejeong lived in one home but felt like they were living separately. It was a typical lunch and Doyeon had to eat since she needed to go to school. She noticed Sejeong eating only three spoonfuls of rice and was shocked.

"Thank you for the meal." Sejeong mumbled.

Doyeon was looking and Sejeong noticed it. Doyeon averted her gaze as Sejeong spoke. "Don't tell Dad."

Doyeon didn't get is as she left. She shrugged and ate again.

+++

Doyeon came back from school to witness her distressed parents. Her Dad was getting crossed and her Mom was calling a lot of people.

"Mom. Dad. What's going on?" Doyeon asked.

"Have you seen Sejeong?" Her Mom asked.

"I didn't." Doyeon said.

"It's almost night and there's no sign of her." Her Dad spoke. "Doyeon, go to your room and study."

Doyeon obeyed and got inside. But then, she was worried of her unnie.

+++

Her worry went on for quite so long. Sejeong didn't come home for almost two weeks. Her parents were worried sick and Sohye didn't even know and searched for Sejeong herself.

Doyeon ws unmoved and was the most worried. Could it be her fault for Sejeong's leave? Would she never be forgiven by her own sisters for what she did? It haunted her on her sleep and works.

She didn't want to think about it too much. All she could do was pray for the best.

+++

A month passed and Doyeon was sighing as she was all alone at home. A ring disrupted her as she got a call from Sohye. "Yeah?"

Doyeon, I need to tell you something. 

"What is it?"

Sejeong is here.

Doyeon was too overwhelmed. A part of her missed Sejeong and she wanted to see her while another was guilty. She thought Sejeong would never forgive her.

Doyeon, Sejeong missed us so much. She especially missed you, Doyeon. It's not yout fault, okay? She didn't want to live there anymore.

"R-Really?" Doyeon asked. "Do our parents know?"

They visited yesterday and Mom had to a cocky son of a . Why don't you visit?

Doyeon hung up and she hastily got ready.

+++

She arrived her her aunt's place and Sohye was there to meet her. Doyeon saw Sejeong coming closer that she backed away. Sohye stopped her, easing her of her worry. Sejeong was also awkward as Sohye decided to leave them so that they'd talk.

Sejeong and Doyeon were silent. Doyeon was about to say something when Sejeong hugged her. Doyeon was nervous but she broke down.

"Sejeong-unnie... I'm so sorry-"

"No, I'm the one who should be sorry." Sejeong said. "I shouldn't have been too hard on you. Oue parents are retarded sometimes that I let my anger out at you."

"But... I'm at fault. You left because of me." Doyeon sniffled.

"I didn't leave because of you. I had to leave because I got sick with our parents." Sejeong mumbled back. "I had to be free from all the distress."

Doyeon was still crying that Sejeong had to cheer her up. Sohye saw them and the siblings decided to talk about what will happen next.

+++

Sohye and Sejeong agreed to stay together at their aunt's place. For Doyeon, she had to go back and will be with their parents and Chungha if she ever goes home. 

At the end of the day, the three siblings hugged each other. Sohye even tackled Doyeon and were laughing. Sohye got inside the house and Doyeon checked the sunset.

"I should go now, unnie."

Sejeong grinned and hugged Doyeon again. Doyeon hugged tighter. "I'm going to miss you from time to time, Dodo."

"You'll visit soon, right?" Doyeon asked.

"Yeah. Sohye will come with me this time." Sejeong answered.

A taxi passed by and Doyeon had to get a hitch. Sejeong watched her dongsaeng bid goodbye as she got in and the vehicle sped.

"See ya for now, Dodo." Sejeong mumbled. "You'll always be the tall baby to me..."