Prometheus Unbound

Randomness

Before humanity, the Greek Gods won the great battle against a race of giants called the Titans. While most of them were destroyed and were driven down towards the eternal hell of Tartarus, the Titan Prometheus, whose name means “foresight”, convinced his brother Epimetheus, to fight with him on the side of the gods.

“You’ve been reading too much mythology, unnie.” Little Evelyn spoke. “Dad, Unnie's been reading your Greek book again.”

“Shush!” Somi spoke. “It’s a cool story, Evelyn. You should try reading it sometime.”

“Ennik, Evelyn.” Matthew got inside. “Come on, time for school.”

“Dad, can I borrow your book?” Somi asked.

“As long as you focus on university and you don’t read during class.” Matthew said.

“Ne.” Somi nodded.

She held Evelyn's hand and they got to the car. Matthew drove them to school, stopping first in Somi's university. She bids goodbye to her father and sister and got inside the campus. Most of the junior high students bowed towards Somi and she smiled and greeted them back. But as she got to the center-point by the kiosks, it was another sickening sight. There were two kiosks occupied. Five high school girls sat on each one and Somi actually knew these people. They were the student councils. Weird, right? Why on earth would there be two sets of student council officers in one university?

Well, they were divided into two teams: the Titans and the Olympians. The Olympians are older and get most of the credit by the administration for their sense of leadership. Few of the students are subservient and dependent towards them because of it. The Titans, on the other hand were younger were on the second level. They address minor issues which make major differences for the school, and they fix flaws and make modifications that Olympians couldn’t address, making most of the students subservient and dependent on them. If they were each other’s catalysts to create a better world for the university and its students, they why aren’t they getting along by sitting on one table together? Well, there was always competition. And Somi witnesses it everyday.

“Good morning, Somi~” Doyeon waved.

Everyone’s eyes were on her. Somi sighed and greeted Doyeon back. “Good morning.”

“Get her to side with us, Doyeon.” Yoojung nudged.

“Don’t even think about it.” Nayoung batted.

“If Somi were to file an application of candidacy, we’ll make sure to get her on our side.”

“You only recruit old people, Stone.” Sohye spoke. “Somi doesn’t want to meet your criteria.”

“But her apprehension is thrice more compared to all of you combined.” Chaeyeon batted. “Her empathy and knowledge is mature and will be best practiced on our side.”

Somi sighed of it and went away. It wounded their prides for showing an act of offense. Doyeon sighed and ran towards Somi.

“Som!” Doyeon spoke.

Somi stopped and faced Doyeon. Of all the officers, she was the most decent one. Somi considered her almost like a sister.

“Mind me for walking out.” Somi said. “The system’s too cringey.”

“I understand.” Doyeon nodded.

“What’s that?” Somi pointed.

“I proposed something.” Doyeon lets Somi see. “I’m giving a memorandum of reduced tuition fees for freshmen and more deductions for scholars. I’m passing them to the administration now. Want to come with me?”

“You did this?” Somi wowed as she read the memo. “Hmmm…would it be okay if I modify something of this?”

“Sure. We can reprint the document when we get there.” Doyeon nodded.

Somi and Doyeon went to the library and made modifications with the memo. Doyeon watched Somi do her work and wowed. The Olympians were right about her empathy and knowledge and Yoojung and Sohye were almost right to get her to their side.

“You see, you made the memo too general, like for instance, you want to grant deduced tuition fees but up to what percent, same with the deduction for scholars, from what deduction you are referring to why it should be implemented. Seeing you emphasize the unaddressed sense of competition made sense.” Somi said.

“Being prestigious and counting the low rate of passing, it would be no use to force students to excel.” Doyeon said.

“That’s true.” Somi said.

Doyeon and Somi edited and printed the new memo and got to the administration office to see the President. Luckily she was free so the two managed to welcome them.

“What do you have in store this time, Auditor Doyeon?” She asked.

The President got her memo and read it. Doyeon was shaking and Somi had to calm her down. The President was finished and was even fazed to see Somi.

“This was better compared to you last attempt. And in fact, this could be approved.” The President said.

“I give my full credits to Jeon Somi for elaborating it further, President-nim.” Doyeon said.

“I see. Just as I expected from the Top 1.” She said. “Like all typical propositions, there should be conditions, am I correct?”

“Yes.” Somi grew serious and nodded.

“What do you mean?” Doyeon was confused.

“I will grant this by next year but there’ll be changes. Scholarships are granted through the aptitude test we do every semester. Usually, the allotment for reviews would last up to three months. But we’ll have to change that to one month.”

“B-But President-nim, the review for the aptitude test is really difficult.” Doyeon spoke.

“That’s true. Even top-notchers find a month too short for the reviews.” Somi said.

“Either that or won’t have this granted. Simple as that.” The President said. “You need to think of propositions of both ends to meet a proper verdict, Miss Kim. You of all people know that.”

Somi knew it would happen and Doyeon fell for it. She knew modifying the memo could not actually grant anything but it would actually give her a lead to what will happen. And now she got it.

“Doyeon.” Somi spoke. “What do you think?”

“It’s perplexing. Usually, the Olympians handle serious school matters. You Titans are just in to fill the gaps and tame demanding and frustrating students who are against policies.” The President said. “And why haven’t you picked where to join, Miss Jeon? You could become an asset to the university as a member of the student council.”

Doyeon was caught red-handed and decided to look at Somi. “You decide, Somi.”

“I have no authority. I’m just a normal student. You’re part of the student council so you decide, Doyeon.” Somi said.

“And as a person with authority, I give you the right to decide.” Doyeon counterattacked her.

“Yes.” Somi nodded. “Do what needs to be done.”

“Then it’s settled.” The President nodded. “Thank you for your effort, Miss Jeon, Miss Kim.”

+++

“That wasn’t supposed to happen.” Doyeon was a bit panicked. “I knew I should’ve let Sohye talk to this mess.”

The word of it got to the bulletin board. Students who were aspiring to take the aptitude tests were in a state of shock. Some were also mad and made their comments.

“The Titans have made a flaw.” The Olympians came in and saw the memo.

“Is this true, Doyeon?” Sohye asked as the rest of the Titans arrived.

“Not here.” Doyeon hissed.

The Titans and Olympians got to their main office. It was never used frequently, only in special events wherein all of them needed to. collaborate. But with the fueled sense of competition, it was almost an abandoned office.

“You meddle into matters that you cannot even solve!” Chungha batted. “Now look what has happened! The students are frantic!”

“That’s because you couldn’t address that issue yourselves!!” Yoojung batted. “Most of the takers are not financially stable and we want to address that through our memo.”

“But she added a twist to the proposition.” Doyeon cussed. “It was my mistake.”

“But didn’t Jeon Somi come with you?” Mina asked.

“She modified the letter. I got a copy.” Sejeong spoke. “What she did was an advantage. I also found the old memo in a trash bin. And Somi’s modification was better. But you had to waltz in on unknown judgements and made a flaw with the proposition.”

“Who says it’s our fault, then?! And why meddle?!” Yeunjung batted.

A knock stopped their argument and Doyeon opened the door. Outside was Somi.

“Doyeon. We need to talk.” Somi spoke.

“Not now, Jeon Somi.” Nayoung spoke. “We’re having a meeting.”

“Talking with offenses inside an audible room is not what you call a professional meeting.” Somi batted. “I need to talk to Doyeon of an important matter. And I need to talk now.”

“Why not talk it here?” Sejeong batted. “We’re the student council. It’s our duty to address any concerns for the students. And we have the right to know.”

“Because you all are not worth the words. You work in adversity and not in unity. And don’t try to say that when you’re incompetent enough to do anything in the first place.”

Sejeong was silenced with Somi’s words. She and Doyeon decided to talk somewhere.

“What you did was way out of their league!” Doyeon’s worry was replaced with laughter. “You made an Olympian shut .”

“Well, anyways…” Somi started. “…the modification of the memo and the proposition was made to happen, Doyeon. I had it all planned out.”

Doyeon was shocked. Somi could only raise her eyebrows and grin. “I have proposed a solution for the Titans and the Olympians but you need to address it first.”

“Tutorials?” Doyeon asked. “Well, Sohye and Mina can actually do this. Maybe Nayoung and Chaeyeon from the other branch.”

“Okay. Address it to Sohye and make sure she approves. I’ll tell Nayoung and Chaeyeon from the Olympians.” Somi said.

“Somi.” Doyeon spoke before she could go. “Why do this?”

“I have the habit to foresee things, Doyeon. And I foresee a tragedy if we don’t help aspiring scholars to study within the month. We are given the power and authority, even the talents and skills to achieve standardization. But what would it be if we don’t help others who don’t have what we have?” Doyeon was enlightened. Somi smiled. “That’s why I’m convincing you as a sister here in school, Doyeon. We’ll fight within the side of the administration without any means of revolution.”

Doyeon liked the idea and joined Somi with the idea.

+++

Somi got to the office of the Olympians and Kyulkyung was jolly enough to welcome Somi inside. “Everyone, Somi’s here~”

Chaeyeon was the first to greet Somi. Nayoung and Chungha address a little nod and Sejeong looked onto her as she chewed a goguma stick.

“What brings you here, Jeon?” Sejeong asked.

“I’m here to apologize of my words back at the office, Sejeong-nim, Nayoung-nim.” Somi bowed at Sejeong and Nayoung then faced the officers. “And I want to talk to all of you.”

Nayoung got the conference room ready and they all got in. They all faced Somi and she scoots a piece of paper towards them.

“Tutorials?” Sejeong asked.

“Good idea.” Chaeyeon said directly and smiled at Somi. “This could be a good solution with the dilemma of the aptitude tests.”

The other members listened as Chaeyeon explained. Nayoung got the gist right away and agreed. The others got it and they agreed to sign. Then, they averted their attention back to Somi.

“Thank you for the opportunity, Somi.” Chungha said.

“I take aback my distress towards you.” Sejeong said.

“This could cease the problem for a good cause.” Kyulkyung said.

“Thank you for entrusting us with your concern, Somi.” Nayoung said. “I’ll have this settled right away.”

Somi nodded and bowed to excuse herself when Chaeyeon called her. Somi turned around and Chaeyeon got her a treat.

“Thank you.” Somi bowed lightly.

Somi left the office and ate the treat quickly. She thought of it as a tactic to get her to side with the Olympians but that was just part of the ways so it was understandable. She didn’t plan to tell them face and face and together. She lets the opposing teams have their ways to help for a better cause.

She was neutral and she decides to help with her own way.

+++

Thou art a symbol and a sign to mortals of their fate and force

It became Somi’s favorite quote as she wrote in on her notebook. She finished another chapter of her Dad's book and looked to see Sohye and Mina doing tutorials for the aspiring scholars. Somi loved the progress of the Titans. The Olympians did the same but their students were a bit few compared to the Titans. Their lessons were too formal and serious and not all students harness their knowledge and skills like that. The Titans addressed their teachings properly and most of the students seemed to enjoy and understand more.

Yet, there were also others who couldn’t learn themselves towards either groups.

“Haeyoung?” Somi spoke. “What bothers you?”

“I wanted to join those tutorials but I don’t seem to get them.” Haeyoung spoke.

“Let me teach you.” Somi offered.

“Really?” Haeyoung gleamed.

“Yes. But not here.” Somi said.

“Okay. Can I call some of my friends?” Haeyoung asked.

“You can.” Somi said.

+++

Somi got a private place in the university and the students gathered inside. There were plenty and Somi didn’t expect the number.

“Thank you all for coming.” Somi said. “Before I begin, I want to hear some concerns of the tutorials proposed by the university by the Titans and Olympians, our student councils.”

“Som, the Olympians are too serious with their lessons. And most of the applicants there are the top-notchers. They’re too serious and the lessons are boring.” Jeon Soyeon spoke.

“The Titans are fine but they couldn’t comprehend much. Even Sohye stutters as she teaches.” Juna added.

“I called most of them here, Som. We want to try the aptitude tests but we can’t cope up within both groups and within the month to learn all of it.” Haeyoung said.

“Okay.” Somi said. “Now, you may address the subjects you want to learn and we’ll start the discussion from there. Will that be okay?”

“Ne.” They nodded.

“Why do we need to do it here, Somi?” Hyelim asked. “Can’t we do it out in the open like the student council would do?”

“Actually, the administration made all of us subservient and vulnerable against this mess and that it’s a must to depend only onto the student council for tutorials. If I tutor in the open, then I would be stripped off of my own authority.” Somi reasoned.

“Somi’s right. That was implemented just as the deduction grant came to place.” Park Soyeon said and everyone understood.

“But seeing you and hearing your concerns, I envision that every crude mind inside this university has a bigger purpose.” Somi spoke and bowed. “I’ll do my best to teach you all.”

The students applauded and addressed their concerns of the topics they want to learn. Somi took note and got an idea to where she’ll start her discussion. “Okay. Let’s begin.”

+++

The days passed and tutorials came and went for most of the students in the university. Somi still taught students underground and even those who weren’t aspiring to become scholars joined in to listen. Somi didn’t create boundaries but she built bridges of understanding towards the different students with different beliefs. With Somi’s way of teaching, differences were tossed aside and everyone reached the maximum level of understanding in their own ways. And when the aptitude tests came, everyone who applied took and passed the test. Those students who were under Somi got to the top of the lists that made the decent ones shocked, even the student councils. Doyeon got the gist and ran around the campus to look for Somi.

She saw her eating some goguma sticks and Doyeon went closer and got a bite.

“How’s my sister coming along?” Doyeon asked. “And did Chungha bring you these goguma sticks?”

“Yeah. It was her way of thanks for proposing the tutorials for the aspirants.” Somi said.

“Wait a minute, you told them?” Doyeon asked.

“Ne.” Somi said. “They had their tutorials too. But I didn’t do anything to force you to collaborate with them. Both parties had authority and helped for a good cause. The end.”

“Makes sense.” Doyeon nodded and ate with Somi. “Hey. Have lunch with us.”

“Somi.” Kyulkyung called.

Somi watched both auditors of the student councils face each other. Somi voiced out, pointing a stick. “Yes, Kyulkyung-nim?”

“Have lunch with the Olympians.” Kyulkyung offered.

“Sorry, I asked first.” Doyeon raised a hand. “So please leave.”

“Doyeon.” Somi called and reprimanded her fellow sister. “Please be nice.”

Doyeon nodded and Somi spoke. “How about this…I want to have lunch with both parties.”

+++

The Titans and Olympians were face to face as they ate. Somi was like a bridge towards them as she ate peacefully. But then, she made a face and scooted her plate away.

“Is it me or the third batch of food smelled weird?” Somi asked.

“Heol…” Nayoung reacted and whiffed. “She’s right.”

Yeunjung spits the sausages back and scooted her plate away. “Disgusting.”

“We must address this.” Sejeong said. “This could cause the students' health.”

“Right.” Yoojung nodded.

Somi had another ding by her ear and planned for another meeting with the cocky President.

+++

“Miss Jeon, what are you addressing at?” The President asked.

“It’s this.” Somi showed a wrapper of frozen sausages inside a Ziploc. “This was found on the bins recently. The expiration date has passed last year.”

Somi showed a footage and the President was still unconvinced. “And?”

“Ma’am. With all due respect, school food is also concerned for the health of the students. They ate this. I even ate an expired sausage a while ago. What if there are more foods of the school that are expired and the students' health is at risk?”

“It’s now redundant, Miss Jeon. Miss Lim Nayoung and Miss Kim Sohye have addressed the matter and we’re taking legal actions.”

Somi sighed and bowed to leave. She threw the evidence off and snickered. “She won’t believe me yet believed the student councils. What a joke.”

She saw students line up in the comfort rooms and holding their stomachs. She even heard news of some students admitted on the hospital and resting in the school clinic.

“Somi!” Doyeon ran towards her. “This is madness.”

“Yeah.” Somi sighed. “Are the Titans affected?”

“Sohye and Mina. They had upset stomachs but managed to relieve themselves. But Sejeong from the Olympians was admitted.”

“I met the President just now and she said they’re doing something. But they’re not doing in instantly. They’re wasting time.” Somi hissed.

“What?” Doyeon was shocked.

“They’re testing us, Doyeon.” Somi said. “Now, we counterattack.”

+++

Somi still had tutorials but only for minor subjects. She had a lot of students and recently, the have the addressed the issue of food poisoning.

“I got admitted last time, Somi-nim.” Juna said. “I almost got an ulcer.”

“The administration is not doing anything. They ceased it too late and they’re not doing anything to prevent it.” Soomin said.

“That’s true.” Insun said. “I didn’t hear any news from the sanitation department.”

“Somi-nim…this is bad.” Haerim commented.

“That’s true.” Somi said. “But I have an idea. That is…if you join me and not spread the word of what I’m about to say.”

Everyone seemed intrigued and nodded. Somi then got a book and spoke. “Like in the book of Prometheus, he asked Zeus on how sacrifices would be made. With that, he planned a wily trick to give the humans an advantage.”

“I have an idea!” Haeyoung addressed. “Educators Day is around the corner. Why don’t we poison the food?”

“No. Not that, Haeyoung. We won’t be doing anything to harm them back. It’s wrong.” Somi said.

“But what they did to us was also wrong, Somi-nim.” Haerim said. “They ignored our health and put us in jeopardy.”

“It’s true. But we’ll only warn them. It seems very unappealing but rest assure you, it will work.”

“We’re the food committee for the upcoming event.” Sua raised a hand. “But Somi-nim. The secretaries are in charge. What if we get caught?”

“I’ll convince them to join us.” Somi said.

+++

“Excuse me?” Sejeong raised an eyebrow.

“Good idea, Som.” Yoojung nodded.

“That’s wrong, Somi.” Sejeong said. “I don’t want to fight back against authorities.”

“Then don’t include yourself.” Yoojung stuck a tongue. “They deserve it. They ignored the health of the students with the food poisoning incident and didn’t do anything!”

“It’s a long process. I’m sure the administration is doing their all.” Sejeong reasoned.

“Did it ever occur to you of your incident, Sejeong?” Yoojung asked her. “You were a victim. What about the other students? Didn’t you worry for them? Well, I’m worried. My President and Treasurer were almost admitted because of the administration's ignorance. We even solicited to get your out of the hospital and this is how you repay us?”

“Yoojung…” Somi was shocked.

“We may never collaborate but I’m doing this for the students. It’s what the student council is supposed to do.” Yoojung said to Sejeong then faced Somi. “Somi, what do we need to do?”

“Well, we won’t poison them…but I planned to give a warning during the Educators Day.” Somi showed her plan.

Yoojung was excited as Sejeong ignored and sat. Somi said the plan and Sejeong found it convincing. She never thought Somi could create a risky yet decent plan to address an issue towards a noble end.

“We’re going to warn them through the food. I listened from Sua that she’s in the food committee and you two are in charge. I suggest to switch the first class ingredients with cheap ones.” Somi said. “The food should be appealing but will also give a hint that it is not premium and all. The President will have her food too and it needs to have a note. Only then will she act.” Somi said.

“Genius.” Yoojung cheered.

“Good idea.” Sejeong said and the two looked at her. “Is it okay for you, Sejeong?” Somi asked.

“Yeah.” Sejeong nodded. “I’m joining the plan…for the good of the students.”

+++

It was the said event and the students enjoyed the events, even the faculty. When it was time for the food to come, the students had their spot to line up for their meal. The administration and faculty were on the other side, eating wholeheartedly. Sejeong and Yoojung gave food to the faculty and their last customer was the President herself.

“President-nim.” They bowed. “We have offered two boxes for you.”

The President saw two wrapped boxes of bento. The first one was a bit dusty and moldy while the second one was appealing and neat. The President chose the second one and went to eat at her office instead.

Sejeong and Yoojung were damned. What the President didn’t know that the messy bento had the premium food made with the best ingredients inside while the box the she personally picked was filled with visually appealing food but it was made from the cheap and basic ingredients.

“Somi was right.” Yoojung mumbled.

“I gotta hand it to Somi. She’s a genius.”

+++

Inside the office, the President ate wholeheartedly. As she picked a good piece of chicken, she got a note. She picked it and opened it.

Thou art a symbol of sign to Mortals of their fate and force. If thou art not decent enough to change thy ways, thou shall suffer the consequences.

PS: You’ve picked the wrong bento box for the food was made from cheap and expired ingredients. If you didn’t do immediate action to address the students' health, why should we do the same with what you’ve eaten?

- Prometheus

A sickening spit and scream echoed throughout the university and the faculty worried and hurried to eat and get to her aid. As the faculty were gone, the food committee gathered inside the cabin and laughed their heart out.

“She fell for it.” Yoojung laughed.

“Nice job.” Sejeong hi-fived her. “For a Titan, you did good.”

“You too, Sejeong.” Yoojung grinned. “And it’s all thanks to a genius eating goguma sticks.”

Sejeong looked. She looked at Somi eating with Haeyoung and the two Soyeons. Sejeong chuckled. Somi helped them address oppression for a greater and noble cause.

+++

A sickening smash greeted the Olympian office. Nayoung was mad. The officers are silent as Nayoung paced and hissed.

“This is madness.” Nayoung huffed. “The President has cut the losses of the budget within the student councils! What about the events for next year? Where will we get our budget?!”

“But how did it happen?” Chaeyeon was shocked.

“Why?” Chungha asked.

Sejeong was silent as she cussed at herself for yesterday's incident. Kyulkyung got inside and shared something. “I got good news and bad news.”

“What would be the good news?” Chungha asked.

“The food poisoning incident was known by the sanitation department and they have investigated about the matter. The bad news…we won't get our budget for next year.” Kyulkyung gulped.

“How can we uphold our events without our budget?” Chaeyeon had gone anxious.

“According to some students, someone within the university under the codename ‘Prometheus' created a fiasco within Educators Day. She conducted alleged food poisoning towards the President.” Kyulkyung spoke. “But actually, she’s not poisoned. She’s just overreacting.”

“Watch your words. Nayoung sighed. “Sejeong. You were in charge with Yoojung from the Titans. Why did it happen?”

Sejeong gulped. She would be screwed if the rest of the Olympians found out. “It was the fault of circumstance. With Yoojung's incompetence and mine, the President was triggered.”

“Possibly.” Nayoung mumbled.

“But what will happen to you? Would you get punished?” Chaeyeon asked.

+++

“Suspension?!”

“Only for the week.” Yoojung added. “Sejeong is taking accountability too.”

“But it’s impossible for the student councils to do such thing.” Mina batted.

“I don’t mind. It’s a minor threat to me. What we should be worrying about is the budget for next year.” Yoojung spoke. “What about the events? Where will we get money?”

“Solicitation will trigger the students.” Sohye said. “We can’t let that happen. We’ll have to earn for ourselves and lessen the expenses of activities for this year.”

“This is outrageous.” Yeunjung massaged her temples. “Who the hell is that Prometheus girl?”

“She did a noble cause for the food incident but we pay the loss of our credibility to our finances.” Doyeon added.

They had to stop the discussion from there. Doyeon went outside to get a drink. Yoojung came with her. “Somi did it, didn’t she?”

Yoojung froze and gasped. Doyeon sighed and patted her head. “Don’t worry. I know of that incident beforehand. Somi told me and she got the food committee to help. But you and Sejeong were suspected so she cut the losses of the student councils.”

“What Somi did was just, Doyeon. I agreed because she somehow enlightened me.” Yoojung spoke. “Sejeong was enlightened too but I’m sure Sejeong won’t take this matter lightly.”

“That’s true.” Doyeon spoke.

A ring was heard and Doyeon got her phone to answer it. The call ended in seconds as she got Yoojung’s hand and they went somewhere.

“Why? What’s wrong?” Yoojung asked.

“Somi.” Doyeon spoke. “She called and she wanted to talk with us and Sejeong.”

+++

The four friends were face to face as Somi apologized to Sejeong and Yoojung for what happened. For the two, they accepted it.

“It was done for a cause, Somi.” Yoojung said.

“And I’d rather take the blame than involve the rest of the food committee.” Sejeong added.

“Noble.” Doyeon commented.

“I heard of what happened.” Somi spoke. “But no. You shouldn’t be denied of your resource. The administration should’ve just implemented other ways but cutting the budget of the student councils is too much.”

“That has become a problem. We won’t know where to get our budget for the upcoming events.” Sejeong sighed.

Somi slumped her head on the table and the three wondered. Doyeon chuckled as Sejeong and Yoojung were confused. Then, Somi rose back and grinned.

“It looks like our genius has another plan.” Doyeon grinned.

“Yeah.” Somi grinned. “But I won’t involve you three.”

“Then who?” Sejeong asked.

“Sejeong, Dodaeng…” Somi spoke. “…I’ll have to talk with your presidents.”

+++

Somi was face to face with Nayoung and Sohye in the canteen. They picked and ate goguma sticks alternatively and Somi gulped and started to talk.

“What I’m about to discuss will shock you. About the incident of the food poisoning…” Somi showed them her favorite book. “…it was me. I am Prometheus herself.”

Sohye reacted that Nayoung had to shut her up. Nayoung was damned, looking around to see that they were somewhere secluded from the students.

“You’re joking.” Sohye hissed. “If you aren’t, the screw you for cutting our losses.”

“Language.” Nayoung reprimanded. “Anyways, why did you do it, Somi?”

“The administration was ignorant with the food poisoning incident. They didn’t act immediately and it almost cost the life of some of our fellow students. That’s why I rebelled and got the food committee, Sejeong, and Yoojung involved. But Sejeong and Yoojung took the blames instead.”

“No wonder…” Sohye sighed. “…why did you even bother, Somi?”

“If you both can’t act, then who else will?” Somi batted, wounding both of their prides. “You didn’t refute for the sake of the students. You two are incompetent leaders! What are you, then? If that were the case, you don’t deserve to be part of the student councils! Being ignorant towards the students’ concerns is not the student council way, right?!”

Sohye and Nayoung were ashamed. Somi hit them of their pride and of their senses. Somi sighed and looked at them. “That’s why I called you here. I want to ask your permission and your cooperation of a proposed plan.”

They listened and Somi showed them a plan and her favorite book. “Zeus was fumed of Prometheus's deception that he forbade the use of fire on Earth. And the President has done the same of forbidding credentials in the student councils. But like Prometheus, I don’t want you and the students denied of your resources.”

“I read this before.” Sohye mumbled then gasped. “Are you going to steal something, Somi?!”

“Shut up.” Nayoung hissed. “Is it true?”

“Yes.” Somi said. “We’ll steal the finance department's credit cards.”

+++

Somi faced the two parties inside the abandoned office and showed them their plan. Most of the Titans agreed but the Olympians were worried.

“What if we get caught?!” Chaeyeon was worried sick.

“We won’t if we all work together.” Somi said. “You all wanted to uphold yourselves for the students, right?”

They nodded as Somi spoke. “If you keep on silencing yourselves, then what’s the use of serving for the students when you can’t push beyond boundaries for them and for the right and just? As long as you do what’s right, then judgments won’t matter.”

It was easy to say but hard to do. It’s what they all think. But Somi knew of the potential of the student councils. They mean well but they had flaws sometimes. She wanted to boost them of their capabilities to serve for their university in a right and just manner.

“We can do this. I may not be part of the student council but I will do my best to help. This is not only for us but for the students and the whole university.” Somi finished.

“I’m in.” Doyeon grinned.

“Me too.” Yoojung spoke.

“Us too.” The rest of the Titans agreed.

“Let’s do this.” Sejeong grinned.

“Alright!” Chaeyeon, Kyulkyung, and Chungha joined in.

It was Nayoung's decision left. She didn’t want to. But seeing and hearing Somi's side, she finally agreed.

“When we will begin?” Yoojung asked.

“Right now.” Somi spoke.

+++

The first phase of the plan commenced again inside the abandoned office. Somi discussed the plan more specifically to ensure a success. With the meeting came unexpected bonds and the renovation of the office, in which Somi noticed that made her extremely happy.

The second phase started after the examination day. Somi was tasked by the President to help search for the said Prometheus with Doyeon. Somi and Doyeon were entrusted by the President and ended up doing their search around campus, given master keys as a privilege. With the said privilege, they make their way to the finance room.

“Third phase.” Doyeon grinned.

“Yeahboi.” Somi cooed.

The third phase started as soon as the lights went dim. The two waited for the people to lessen until none were left in the finance office. Doyeon got by the door first, unlocking the door. Somi followed suite and got inside. Somi searched carefully and got to the front desk. She tried the key and thought that the master key did open almost everything. Somi searched the drawers and found the credit cards, each marked with their specific labels based on purpose. She found the cards for the student councils and replaced them with copies of her own. She carefully washed away evidences, placed the cards on her compartment, and went back to the entrance. Doyeon locked the door and the two left off swiftly.

“What about the security cameras?” Doyeon spoke.

“Yeunjung and Chungha got them under control.” Doyeon grinned. “Fourth phase?”

“Fourth phase.” Somi nodded. “Let’s go back to the office.”

+++

The officers wowed as Somi presented the credit cards. She gave on to each group and Sohye raised a question. “Will we get caught if we spend this?”

“No.” Somi showed her laptop. “I created two dummy cards, each with the same amount written in the real cards so whenever it’s checked by the bank, it will write the same amount as if it wasn’t taken.”

“But what about the transactions?” Nayoung asked.

“I got that dealt too.” Somi said as she opened another window. “Future transactions based on the real cards won’t go to the bank’s database.”

“For a teenager, you hacked a bank!” Mina was shocked as the rest.

“You have to teach me.” Doyeon spoke and they chuckled.

“Aigoo…how did we come to this? Why do we even have to compete? We all have the same objective, right?” Sejeong spoke.

“I guess we got jealous of each other. And the administration is pushing us to compete.” Yoojung sighed. “But we’ll finally be doing more excellent stuff for the university.”

They all chuckled. Sejeong pats Somi’s back and guided her to a seat. She lets the woman sit down and said, “This will be your seat.”

“Heol….I’m no officer, Sejeong.” Somi said.

“Maybe not in the eyes of the policies but to all students and us, you are one. You could even become President, Som.” Sejeong commented.

“Thank you. But you might have to cover this one.” Somi said.

“Why?” Chaeyeon asked.

“I won’t be here for long. Time will come that I’ll be off.” Somi smiled. “I may say that I won’t be caught but I will be…eventually.”

They didn’t understand. For Doyeon, she had a gist. “Really, Som?”

“Really.” Somi nodded.

+++

It was the new year and the Olympians and the Titans were ready to face it to become proper servants in the university. With the privilege of Somi’s perception, they managed to fund schools events for themselves, giving them the power to harness funds for the benefit of the university and ultimately dominate the natural order of the President's authority.

With the funds rightfully in their hands, the student councils managed to uphold more excellent events. The students loved to participate, even the faculty were impressed of them. Despite of its aesthetics, the students knew that the student councils sacrificed for them. With that, it started to go down every time they were oppressed. They fought against that and policies were implemented more strictly. Somi’s act of justice and nobility became a catalyst of the rapid growth of unity, just authority, and progression of the university, especially with the student councils.

They didn’t dub themselves as Titans nor Olympians. They would separate in the face of the public but they bonded privately in the renovated office. Somi was dragged with them and they made her feel welcome and treated her dearly as she was actually the youngest of the eleven. For Somi, her own act made herself proud. And reading the last chapter of her favorite book, she sighed sadly.

“The end of the year is almost over!” Sejeong cheered. “Our last event for the year was a success! Let’s celebrate~”

Everyone cheered. Somi cheered lightly as she finally finished reading her Dad’s favorite book.

“Som, are you okay?” Chaeyeon noticed she was a little down. “Is something wrong? What’s the matter?”

Everyone saw Somi’s sad look. Doyeon could look away and tear up lightly as Somi shook her head. “Nothing’s wrong and I’m alright.”

A hard knock was on the door and Doyeon gulped and opened the door. Outside was the President and behind her were a pair of bodyguards.

“Jeon Somi.” She spoke. “Stand up and step out!”

Somi nodded and stood up to draw closer when the bodyguards gripped onto her arms, hurting her.

“President-nim. I beg you. Don’t hurt her.” Doyeon pleaded.

“She’s right, President-nim.” Nayoung defended.

“How low of you.” The President spoke. “You unify yourselves to defend a criminal?!”

Doyeon forced herself when Somi shook her head as she was sent away. As the doors closed, Doyeon grew mad.

“Bull!” Doyeon cussed. “She’s done nothing but good to me and to this university!! I can’t believe I’m afraid, aish!!”

The others were unmoved. They wanted to defend Somi but they were incompetent cowards.

+++

Somi was inside the office and was thrown with papers. Somi could only lower her head. “These papers link to you, you insolent brat. You thought I wouldn’t find out?!” She got mad. “The scholarship incident, the poisoning incident, the success of the student councils despite of the loss of credibility, and the bonds of students against MY ways?!!”

A slap greets Somi’s face but the young one was still unmoved. The President snickered. “You taught students without authorization, you attempt to poison me, you stole university credit cards, and united the opposing student councils?! I had MY way of ruling and you ruined it!”

Another slap came and Somi sighed and spoke. “That’s because you’re an incompetent head for the school.”

“Excuse me?!” She raised her voice again. “As the head of this university, you should’ve imposed the best way of leading but where is the best there? You’re not being fair with the scholarship system, you ignored the life threatening incident with the students’ health, you took the credibility of the student councils for a petty reason and you divert them against each other when they can work together for the university…” Somi then points at herself. “…then you physically abuse a student.”

“What do you know, Jeon Somi? You’re not even a student in authority and you dare say such words to me? Well…” She tossed another paper at her. “…congratulations. You are expelled from this university.”

Somi looked at the document but instead of feeling sad, she laughed. The President wondered as Somi sighed. “You are a sickening President too. You do desperate measures against a threat, huh? Well…I’ll accept…” Somi smiled. “…but I won’t be going down alone.”

That insolent human being! Ennik, where are you?!

“I’m here at the office, Dad.” Somi answered.

The President was shocked that she ran for her life, only to be cornered by the Office of Education and the parents of the student councils, including Somi’s parents and her sister Evelyn. The student councils came and went to hug their parents. Sejeong then went ahead inside the President’s office and there was Somi. She instantly went to hug her. Somi hugged back.

“What happened?!” Sejeong was worried sick. “Are you okay?”

“I’m fine.” Somi assured her.

The rest got in and Doyeon was quick to hug her fellow sister. She broke and shook Somi’s hand. “Success!!”

“Yeah.” Somi smiled.

“Wait a minute, you knew this would happen?!” Yoojung gasped.

“And you planned this?” Sohye asked.

“Yes and yes.” Somi answered and everyone had their reactions. “It’s a long story.”

They wowed of Somi’s resilience once more. Somi was relieved that this whole fiasco was over. But it was over for her too.

+++

The incidents happened and all had their aftermaths and consequences. The President and linked faculty were deposed from their positions and were replaced by decent ones. The student councils united, forming one student council for internal and external. Credentials were settled towards rightful people and the university's system changed for the better.

Somi’s plan was crucial and systematic but she managed to put it to action successfully. From the beginning of the scholarship incident to the time she was called to the office, Somi suffered impatience and anxiety but she had to focus. During their acts of rebellion, Somi gathered evidences and showed it to her father. Her father had a connection with the Office of Education and told them systemically, just as Somi wished. And during her scolding, Somi called her father silently and lets him hear everything. And her Dad went to listen and responded according to plan.

That was the best thing Somi could ever do for the university. But too bad. It was also going to be the last one she’ll ever do. Due to the degree of action, Somi will be expelled from the university by the Office of Education.

“What?!”

“Yep. My work here is done.” Somi said and got her things. “Now don't fight off each other and don’t forget to cover that table and chair.”

“But…we need you here, Som.” Yoojung said.

“The students and us don’t want you to go. Let’s talk with the Office of Education to reconsider you.” Nayoung added.

“Let us come with you.” Chungha said.

“It’s alright, guys. The degree of my actions are too great. A single plea won’t suffice. Although my parents were proud of what I did, they recommended me to transfer to a new university. I got to Yonsei.” She even showed her certificate of admission. “I may have a bad record here but the essence of such action stood out so I was accepted.”

“Som…” Sohye was teary. “…do you really have to go?”

“You won’t let us help you? After all you did for the university, especially to us…” Mina spoke. “…please reconsider staying.”

“We’ll help you, Som. We’ll talk to the Office of Education. We’ll do all that we can…just don’t leave this university.” Sejeong begged.

Somi knew why. They’ve built their friendship and their bond was strong in a matter of days. And losing such bond would hurt. Somi was teary of it.

“You’ve helped me throughout this plan and I couldn’t have done it without your help.” Somi said. “I’m really sorry if I have to sacrifice again. But don’t be sad. I’ll visit.”

Sejeong nodded and hugged her. The rest got to hug Somi one by one and they did a group hug. Somi finally broke and hugged them tighter.

It was a sadly triumphant moment. And most of it will be missed.

+++

Years passed and it became peaceful in both universities. Somi was now in her first year in college and excelled in Yonsei but there were cases that she was in perpetual agony. She missed her old university, now named Prometheus University, the students, and the student council. But then, she didn’t show regret on her act of rebellion for it paved way to a better PU. Somi’s resilience in the face of oppression made her a beloved figure in PU, hence the change of the university name. Her birthday was even a university holiday in honor of her mischievous and inquisitive spirit and the knowledge, power, and service she brought for the university despite of her standing as a normal student with no authority.

She also became a recurring figure in the university’s art and literature club. Yoojung was a part of it and wrote headlines about Somi, with the iconic lines:

The true human is a type of highest perfection of moral and intellectual nature, impelled by the purest and truest motives to the best and noblest ends.

Nayoung, Chungha, and Sejeong became part of a research team and conducted their study dedicated to Somi titled 501-M: the modern Prometheus. It was a study to create a robot of high perfection, being able to cope up with the ethical issues science and technology encounter today.

“Whether a heroine, trickster, or rebel, Prometheus remains as a symbol of our capacity to capture the powers of nature. And ultimately, he reminds us of our potential to do our individual acts to ignite the world.”

The speech was over and everyone did their standing ovations. Sohye bowed and exited the stage. Mina was by the side and hugged her.

“That was a wonderful speech.” Mina said.

“Thank you.” Sohye said as she held her hand. “We should go. The others are waiting.”

+++

The student council got to the office to celebrate Sohye's winning speech. As they cheered, clunking glasses of soda and eating pizza, their eyes couldn’t avert on a vacant desk in the center.

“It’s been years. She left during high school and to think that all of us are now in our first year in college.” Chaeyeon said.

“I miss her.” Doyeon pouted.

“We all do.” Yoojung added.

A knock was on the door and Nayoung opened. “Yes, Eunwoo?”

“Nayoung-nim…” Eunwoo bowed. “…there has been word of a student who will take her Masters here. They say it’s her, that she has returned.”

Nayoung got the gist and got the rest of the student council to follow Eunwoo towards the main gate. As they got there, many students gathered and were cheering. The student council had their way and gasped to see the said student.

Prometheus has returned to her ground and everyone was overjoyed for the return of their heroine. Seeing the student council, she bowed.

“Somi!!” Yoojung rushed and hugged her.

She sniffled as Somi hugged her back, missing her. Doyeon looked like a wreck as she hugged her fellow sister. The rest were in tears as they hugged Somi. The new President saw the spectacle and went to welcome Somi inside the university.

“President Seobi-nim.” Somi bowed as the students joined her.

Ho Seobi was a favorite member of the administration and a favorite teacher by all students who taught social sciences. She felt so bad for not helping the once high school students with such concerns before but she always watched the student council and Somi do ways to help and fight against oppression. When she was voted as the new President of the university, Seobi changed the system for the benefit of everybody. She also admired the student council that they were given extra privileges. And for Somi, she acknowledged her impact towards the students and gave privilege of her actions.

And now that the said Prometheus has returned, she welcomed her back.

“How about we settle the matter in the office, Miss Jeon?” Seobi spoke.

“Ne.” Somi nodded.

The President and Somi walked together towards the office and the students cheered from the back. Somi looked back to see applauds from the students and she smiled.

She was happy to be back.

+++

Doyeon whistled looking at Somi’s college degree. They were shocked and they wowed of Somi’s progress of graduating college ahead at age 19.

“You’re taking Masters yet you’re wearing our uniform.” Chungha chuckled.

“I missed it. And I’m going to be with you all until you graduate from college.” Somi said. “I must say…everyone has put their trust on you. You have been reigning as the same line of officers in the student council for years since I left.”

“We love to serve.” Mina grinned.

“And now…you’ve come back and joined us…President.” Nayoung grinned.

“Wow. For a Stone Buddha, you sure can react.” Chaeyeon commented that everyone laughed.

Naturally, line of officers would change annually but with the students’ trust on them, they continued their legacy. And with Somi taking her Masters, she was added in the student council and was elected President.

Sejeong was VP Internal and Yoojung was VP External. Chungha was Secretary and Sohye as Treasurer. Kyulkyung was Auditor and Chaeyeon as PIO. Doyeon became the Peace Officer and Mina as Chaplain. And then Nayoung was the Parliamentarian and Yeunjung became the official Reporter for the student council.

“I’m also Reporter and President of the Broadcasting Team.” Yeunjung winked.

“It’s about time you put your voice to good use.” Yoojung remarked.

“Rude.” Yeunjung stuck a tongue.

Somi could sit at her table and smile of the sight of the officers in front of her.

“Alright.” Somi called and they all stopped and sat down. “Time to continue our advocacy towards the benefit of everybody.”

“Ne!” They all cheered.

One fight against oppression may be over but the real journey begins. And that was the thing they learned in their now Prometheus University.