Defiance

Randomness

Kim Sejeong had never thought of such exponential fame raining upon herself. She watched the city she now ruled, watching the people's lives improve, all thanks to her knowledge and her inventions. Recently, she was interviewed by scholars of her success in ruling a city despite of her role as an inventor.

"It was the people that inspired me. Cloud Nine was never a developed city, once filled with the essence of non-rationalism. But I wanted to change that and to make their life easier." Sejeong answered.

"To what or whom do you owe your success?" A scholar asked.

Sejeong was silent for a while. She was even stoned that the scholar feared that she might've triggered their ruler. 

"God Sejeong, is everything okay?" Another asked.

"Yes." Sejeong answered. "It's a story I never wanted to say again but it's a story you must know." She got a picture. "I owe all of my successes now to my late daughter, Kim Sohye."

+++

Sejeong got to her grand home all silent. She rested by a vacant room which was not hers, hugging a stuffed penguin close to her heart as tears ran down silently on her face.

It had been years since Sohye died but the regret she felt as she witnessed her daughter die was severe. It happened in the kingdom of Baekje where two women soared above with wings made from wax and feathers. It was her and Sohye, the first women who flew and the firsr people to defy the laws of both man and nature.

How did Sohye die? She died of ignoring Sejeong's warning and rose higher and higher, embracing the egotistical fact that because of that defiance, people down below thought of her as a goddess. But in retrospect, the absolute line that separated god from man paid a price of severe punishment. And it was a motive of the case of the mother and child, especially to Sohye.

Sejeong sighed. It felt just like yesterday to her.

+++

In Gaya, Sejeong already had a name for herself as the genius inventor, craftsman, and sculptor of their province. She invented innovations of carpentry and the tools used for it, designed infrastructure, and made sculptures so life-like that they were misconceptualized for real people. She was skilled and celebrated by everyone in the province. But there was one catch.

Sejeong may be gifted but she was egotistical and jealous.

"Isn't that your niece, Sejeong?" A friend pointed on one side. "Your family lineage is so aesthetic that your relative is an inventor like you."

"Aigoo...Doyeon is just curious. I taught her that." Sejeong commented.

Doyeon waved to her aunt and created a mechanical bird that flew around. Everyone wowed and it was a new sight for them. Sejeong already had her proposed attempt but Doyeon got to that idea first. With that, she grew dim then she got worried.

It was a trait seemingly strange to her, that deep down her innocent façade was a menacing deity of evil. But one thing's for sure, it was a trait she could never control.

She got a little dagger and got closer to Doyeon's spectacle. After her presentation, everyone applauded. Sejeong got closer and congratulated her niece...when she got the dagger and stabbed Doyeon multiple times.

Everyone was in a frenzy of horror. Sejeong watched Doyeon all bloody and losing her life in a sickening manner. As she fell dead on the ground, Sejeong tossed her weapon away and chuckled menacingly. Even if the police already arrested her, her menacing laugh eang around the province.

She was the genius of Gaya and no one, not even her niece, can take that title away from her.

---

The punishment was crucial for Sejeong. Her family disowned her and she was banished from her hometown, journeying towards another place inside a reeking carriage, all while regretting of doing such an act. With her recent image, she wondered if there was ever a silver lining. 

A sickening slap greeted her as shs got up and got attentive.

"Wake up, murderer." A soldier grabbed her. "You are asked to see the Great Empress Nayoung of Baekje."

Sejeong nodded and followed the soldier inside a palace of fine gold and dark pallettes. At the center was the Empress and her Queen, with two young dignitaries on each end, the children of the royals.

Sejeong was forced to bow as Nayoung raised a hand to get a look at her. She got down, her fine silk clothing caressing the granite floors and making the other people avert their gaze. To them, their eyes weren't worthy to see the Empress face to face.

"State yourself." Nayoung spoke.

"Kim Sejeong. Great inventor from the province of Gaya." Sejeong spoke and bowed.

"Heard a lot about you. You were said to be the genius and to have murdered your own niece." Nayoung spoke and paced around Sejeong. "You weren't sent here just because your nation didn't know where to actually send you off. Due to you preceded reputation of your said skills and intelligence, I asked them to send you here for I want to propose something for you."

Sejeong was free from the cuffs and faced the Empress. Sejeong thought she had a stoned look but she was intimidated. 

"Would you accept a deal of becoming Baekje's technical advisor?" Nayoung asked.

Sejeong never thought she'd be welcomed with open arms within one of Joseon's greatest nations. She accepted it wholeheartedly and bowed. "You have my honor and service, Your Highness."

+++

Sejeong made her purpose again in Baekje by pushing the boundaries of her skills in intelligence. She was accredited and even got close to the Empress' family.

"Sejeong-nim!"

Sejeong looked down to see the princesses of Baekje, Yoojung and Yeunjung.

"What's is it, little ones?" Sejeong asked.

"We got bored with our toys." Yeunjung started. "Eommonim and Abeonim told us that you're a genius."

"We were wondering if you could make toys for us, Sejeong-nim." Yoojung asked.

Sejeong didn't hesitate and agreed. She asked the kids of the list of toys they want to have and Sejeong got the list.

"Give me three days, okay?" Sejeong asked. "I assure you you'll have the best toys in the world."

"Okay!" The princesses nodded.

+++

Yoojung was enjoying herself as she got her mechanical animals and Yeunjung was chasing her mechanical vehicles. The Empress and Queen noticed the happy faces of their children and saw Sejeong coming out from her workshop.

"Excellent!" Nayoung clapped. "I couldn't thank you enough for the children's toys, Sejeong."

"The Empress is right. I've never seen the children so happy before." The Queen added. "Love, she could be of great help to our sailors."

"Good idea, love." Nayoung nodded and Sejeong and her talked.

The Queen kept their children company as Nayoung spoke. "Our sailors play an important role of our trade. But their journey takes time and the winds were a hindrance. What can you suggest of it, Sejeong?"

Sejeong didn't react and bowed. "I got that planned, Your Highness."

+++

Sejeong dissimenated the idea towards the sailors: the adaptation of sails and masts. And with the Empress' permission, they obeyed. They went on their journey of trade and Sejeong observed by the pier everyday.

Usually, the journey lasted for half a year. But with the invention, the journey lasted in less than a month. With that, there were more opportunities to trade of other places at the same time.

Sejeong gained more credit and with those creations, Sejeong never settled for mediocrity. She challenged herself to create to jump onto the border of human limitation, breaking the absolute line that separated god from man.

But there's always a price for that and Sejeong wasn't the victim. It was the Queen.

It was a celebration in Baekje and Sejeong relaxed by her home, watching the ceremony. There was the royal line from the Three Kingdoms and their set of Hwarang. Sejeong was not only a genius but she was also aware of mystical occurrences within the real world. And seeing the Queen peering lustfully towards Baekje's Hwarang Head, it concluded her of one thing.

She was cursed.

+++

"Master Sejeong, you have been called by Queen Jieqiong."

Sejeong nodded and got to the Queen's quarters. She opened the doors and Queen Jieqiong was pacing around as she stopped to meet the technical advisor.

"Thank goodness you have come, Sejeong." Jieqiong addressed.

"What is your concern, Your Highness?" Sejeong asked.

"I need you to do something for me." Jieqiong spoke. "I need you to renovate weapons for the Hwarang Head."

Sejeong's conclusion was right. Seeing a mark of a curse by her pulse, she sighed. "Why would I make weapons for Hwarang Head Jung Chaeyeon?"

"She's the Empress' favorite Hwarang Head. She had become my favorite too...that I want her." Jieqiong paced around. "I have proposed something for Chaeyeon. If she emerges victorious at the next war, I'll have her. Otherwise, I won't. And what better way for her than to renovate her set of weapons?"

Sejeong thought that Jieqiong's way of getting the Hwarang Head for herself was a skillful idea. But she couldn't conduct treason against the Empress. "I apologize, Your Highness. I cannot do it. What would the Empress think of me?"

"I won't tell her, Sejeong. And if you do commit yourself for Baekje, not only you serve for Nayoung but you also serve for me." Jieqiong said.

"Alright." Sejeong finally agreed. "Let me meet with Chaeyeon."

+++

Sejeong got Chaeyeon's weapons and loaded them with artillery at the side compartment. She delivered them to Chaeyeon and taught her how to use it. Chaeyeon did her practices and she wowed of the weapons.

"These swords could kill twice a fleet." Chaeyeon said.

Sejeong allowed her to try renovated crossbows and Chaeyeon was amazed of the number of arrows it showered. 

"It seems you're ready for war, Master Jung." Sejeong said.

"Who proposed this?" Chaeyeon asked.

"The Queen did." Sejeong answered. "It's her sign of love towards you, Master Jung."

"But I'll only accept to be hers if I'm victorious." Chaeyeon said.

"Oh, you will be." Sejeong answered.

+++

Just as Sejeong predicted, Chaeyeon won consecutive wars. Sejeong was even tasked to Chaeyeon to the Queen's quarters privately and even heard their noises of lust everytime. She even got herself a special someone, a commoner by the name of Kim Chungha and got herself onto ravishing lusts with her.

Queen Jieqiong got conceived and got a child with Chaeyeon they named Somi. Chungha was conceived on the same day and she and Sejeong had their child, Sohye. Chungha was introduced to the royal family as Sejeong's wife and their family lived within the palace. Queen Jieqiong still kept a secret of meeting Chaeyeon and Somi. For little Somi, she had to stay with Chaeyeon to avoid suspicions.

But like any secret, it can't be kept forever. Eventually, Nayoung found out from a Hwarang under Chaeyeon and she was enraged. And then, Sejeong was pointed out as the main culprit and she was called.

"You insolent fool!" Nayoung yelled and broke her fine china. "You enabled such a horrible ersion of social standing!!"

Sejeong defended but Nayoung was too intimidating. She and her family were banished outside the palace. Chungha didn't want herself to be tarnished so she spread word that she divorced Sejeong and left their child with her.

With desperate times call for desperate measures. Nayoung raided Chaeyeon's residence and stripped her off of her rank and abducted little Somi. 

"Your Highness, not the child!!" Chaeyeon begged as she was beaten.

"Appa~!!" Somi cried.

Nayoung became a ruthless ruler and killed Chaeyeon in front of the child. Sejeong was then tasked one last time to construct a inescapable prison cell for Somi under the palace where she'll rot for all eternity. For the Queen, she was now forced to live under the orders of the Empress for all eternity. Otherwise, she'll kill her and her children.

Now, after completing the prison cell, Sejeong was imprisoned above a large mountain away from Baekje. She lost everything, except for her daughter Sohye.

"Appa. Where are we?" The innocent Sohye asked.

Sejeong wondered of what she could give to her daughter wherein she lost everything? But seeing her, she was eager to take care of her. Sejeong went to hug her daughter. Sohye hugged back.

"Our new home. Don't worry. Appa's here."

+++

Twenty years. It has been twenty years since Sejeong and Sohye were imprisoned above the mountain. Sohye grew up with the wilderness and always stared at the rocky walls. For Sejeong, she was old but her intelligence and skill never faded. She was still a genius inventor.

While looking around the wilderness by their prison, birds frequently visited and their feathers gathered by a hollow tree. Sejeong got a feather and their means of escape were clear.

They had to fly their way out of prison like the supernatural beings can do.

"Sohye." Sejeong called and her daughter became attentive. "Do you still know the way to the border?"

"Yes, Appa." Sohye nodded.

"I need you to do something for me." Sejeong spoke. "You need to gather branches and steal the candles from the posts used by the guards. But you must be careful."

Sohye nodded and did the task.

+++

Before nightfall, Sohye was back as she got the things her Appa needed. Sejeong complimented her and did her work.

Sohye had a task to create fire and Sejeong constructed two pairs of frames. Sohye also went to gather a lot of feathers from the hollow tree. With those feathers and wax from candles, Sejeong constructed two pairs of giant wings in a single night.

Dawn came and Sejeong woke Sohye up. She told her of their escape plan and helped Sohye with her pair of wings.

"Appa, are we really going to fly up?" Sohye asked. "Can humans even fly?"

"We will, Sohye-ya." Sejeong said and Sohye got her wings on. "Sohye-ya. I need you to keep this warning in mind." 

Sohye wondered as Sejeong drew something useing a burned stick. "Flying close to the ground would cause you to bump onto trees and infrastructure and the wings would break. Flying close to the Sun will melt the wax and the wings will disintegrate. In either cases, a single flaw could pay the price of our lives. Now, the tip that you must always remember is that we shall only fly within the middle."

"Okay, Appa." Sohye nodded.

"Promise me you will do EXACTLY as I say." Sejeong said.

"I promise, Appa." Sohye nodded.

With the instructions clear, the two women got to the highest point of the mountain and leapt from there. They flapped their arms like birds and Sejeong's construction worked as they flew.

People looked up and they gasped, thinking they were deities. Sejeong ignored those compliments and focused on flying to the middle. But Sohye was too overwhelmed with the ecstasy of flight that she flew higher.

"No, Sohye!!" Sejeong scolded.

Sohye gulped and got back to the middle. Sejeong watched Sohye and told her that they would land on another island. Sohye nodded and followed the course of the wind but she was triggered again. She let's herself be taken by her ego and the thought of divine power that came with it and flew higher and higher. Sejeong yelled again but Sohye didn't hear her as she rose higher and higher. Sejeong could only watch in horror, powerless to change Sohye's dire fate. When the heat from the Sun melted the wax of Sohye's wings she fell from the sky.

A sickening scream greeted Sejeong's hearing and she teared up as she flew. She couldn't save her daughter. And now, she realizes that there's always a consequence of her defiance against natural laws through the service of her ego. 

Now Sohye faces that fate with her own hubris and regret showers upon the mother and child in the end.

+++

Sejeong watched as her scholars teared up of the story. They actually came back to get some details of the story and as Sejeong contemplated, she kept them company and told the story to them.

Sejeong joined them buf she regained composure. "After that incident, I landed on this island. I first watched the Sun, almost cursing at it for taking my daughter away from me. But who is to blame? You would say circumstance is the culprit but it's the egotistical attitude of people. With that realization, I had to change myself. I found your city underdeveloped and changed yhe ways of life."

"And we are grateful towards you, God Sejeong." The scholar said. "May I ask? Will there be opportunity for enthusiasts like you to share within innovation of the city?"

"You're crazy! Don't trigger our ruler!!" Another scholar scolded.

"It's alright now. I give way for our future inventors to help in innovating the lives of our people. But let me say one last thing." Sejeong addressed. "Create and innovate for the greater good and do not attempt to defy natural laws. That way, no one will suffer the consequences."

The scholars nodded and the interview was over. They thanked Sejeong fpr her time as they left. Sejeong got the frame of her daughter and spoke. "No more defiance, my little Sohye. No more."