Moments of Yore

Randomness

Nayoung looked at the sunset with glamor and hope. Although the dawn would be the concrete symbol of hope, seeing the sunset rose Nayoung's optimism of the future. Little did she know, someone was watching her.

"Nayoung." The person called.

"Oh, Jieqiong." Nayoung looked. "What brings you here?"

"It's dinner time, silly." Jieqiong smiled. "We should go now. Our kids are waiting too."

"Yes." Nayoung nodded and joined her wife inside.

+++

"Thanks for the meal!" Mina spoke and dug in.

Nayoung smiled at the sight of her kids, Yeunjung and Mina. Mina was like her, quiet and concrete with her actions. Yeunjung was hyper and bright like her mother Jieqiong. And then Nayoung stopped gazing at her wonderful and beautiful Chinese wife, who was a complete opposite of her but was a person she loved so dearly.

"Nayoungie." Jieqiong called which made her go back to reality. "Eat now."

"Uhh...yes," said Nayoung, munching onto some vegetables.

She found Jieqiong's cooking so delicious as it reminded her of her time when she was about her kids' ages.

***

2005

Ten-year old Nayoung was eating hastily to get on the first bus to school. Her mother would help her up with the morning routine as Nayoung jolted off.

"Forgot anything, Nayoung?" Her mother stopped her.

Nayoung nodded and bids her mother goodbye. She ran outside as the bus passed by. Nayoung extended one arm and the bus stopped. She got in and huffed as she got a seat. And out of nowhere, she gasped as someone sat next to her.

"Nayoungie~" Seven-year old Jieqiong spoke.

"Oh, hi." Nayoung spoke. Jieqiong pouted as Nayoung sat down properly. During the trip, Jieqiong was bopping her head with the music and ended teasing up Nayoung from dancing in front of her to pinching her precious cheeks. She even poked something towards Nayoung. Nayoung stopped her as she asked. "What are you doing? I'm trying to have some peace."

"But notice me~~~" Jieqiong whined.

Nayoung sighed and focused her attention on Jieqiong, forcing her to sit back down. "Okay. What? Spit it out."

"I made this for you." Jieqiong showed a pink box. "It's my recipe of sweet and sour chicken. Eat it when we will have lunch."

The bus arrived at their school and Jieqiong pressed the button. As it stopped, the two got down and got inside campus. Before they would go to their respective classes, Jieqiong stopped Nayoung.

"See you at lunch." Jieqiong smiled.

Nayoung nodded and got a peck on the cheek. Jieqiong ran off and Nayoung walked to her classroom as she held the pink box preciously. 

+++

Classes went on smoothly until it was lunchtime. Nayoung got her stuff and the pink box and got inside the canteen to get a table. But then, a hand waved towards her and Nayoung gleamed and went to sit there.

"Oohhh~ new food?" Nine-year old Sejeong and Chungha asked.

"Yeah. From Jieqiong." Nayoung answered.

Sejeong cooed and Chungha calms her down. Nayoung sighed at some people, motioning them to come closer. Two girls got to the spot and they sat with the rest.

"Chaeyeon." Sejeong hi-fives the eight-year old.

"Nayoungie~" Jieqiong went to hug her. "Hi guys."

"Now that we're all here, let's eat." Chungha said and they got their lunch boxes.

Nayoung got hers and the one Jieqiong gave. Sejeong and Chungha got matching lunchboxes as Chaeyeon had a badass-themed lunchbox. Jieqiong got hers and they teased Chaeyeon. "Heehyun must've switched with you."

Chaeyeon shrugged as they continue to eat. Nayoung couldn't stop eating, especially with the food that Jieqiong made for her. The Chinese girl smiled as she admires Nayoung, making the rest coo.

"Hm?" Nayoung looked at them as she had some vegetables in .

"I'm glad you love my cooking, Nayoung." Jieqiong smiled.

Nayoung gulped and ate some more. The rest joined her.

***

"Just like when we were kids." Jieqiong smiled at her wife. "I think I know where Mina got her shikshin instinct."

"Omo-Mommy's right!" Mina gleamed.

Nayoung could only laugh and continue a wonderful meal with her family.


Little Yoojung was awake, scratching her bum as she got to another room. With her little stature but determined will, she got in between her sleeping parents. One held her tight to prevent her from falling.

"Dad. Dad~" Yoojung spoke cutely.

"Sejeongie...our Yoodaeng's awake..." Chungha mumbled.

"Before sunrise...she's our daughter..." Sejeong mumbled back.

She snored and Yoojung pouted and pinched her cheeks. Sejeong groaned and got up as Yoojung clung onto her. Sejeong looked down at her pouting daughter.

"You promised." Yoojung whined.

"Okay, okay. I'm up, I'm up." Sejeong spoke and yawned.

Chungha got up too and went to another room. Sejeong yawned and carried Yoojung. Chungha got back with a sleepy Penguin on her arms. She was waking up slowly and Sejeong adored her. "Wake up, baby Penguin." 

"Mmmm...Dada." Sohye yawned then smiled to see Sejeong.

"Dad. Let's go outside~" Yoojung nudged.

"Let's eat first, okay Yoodaeng. Then we can play." Sejeong said. "Mommy and Sohye will join us too."

Yoojung obeyed as Sejeong went to kiss Chungha. "Good morning, baby."

"Good morning." Chungha smiled and pecked Sejeong's lips again. "Shall I make breakfast?"

"We'll do it together as we supervise the kids." Sejeong suggested.

+++

Sejeong and Chungha got busy in the kitchen as they watch Yoojung and Sohye feom a distance. Yoojung may be hyper like Sejeong but she was gentle when Sohye was by her side, just like Chungha.

"See? Our Yoodaeng is responsible." Sejeong smiled.

Chungha got back to cooking and cut her hand. She hissed when Sejeong grabbed that hand and mended her wound. 

"I'll take it from here." Sejeong said. "Why don't you keep the babies company?"

Chungha nodded and got to her babies. Yoojung was quick to carry Sohye gently and went to hug their mother tight. Chungha hugged back and carried Sohye instead.

She then looks at a distance as Sejeong worked in the kitchen. She smiled at her husband. She was just as caring ever since they met when they were kids.

***

2007

Eleven-year olds Sejeong and Chungha were best friends and were in the same class consecutively. They also maintained honors, with Sejeong in 2nd and Chungha in 4th. They also shared personal bonds and were together most of the time.

"Sejeongie." Chungha called. "Are you done with out assignment?"

"Say no more." Sejeong smiled. "I got it settled. You can just copy while I teach you."

"You're a livesaver, Sejeongie." Chungha grinned and hugged the Ahjusshi.

"Too much love." They broke as Chaeyeon came to view, flapping the air off.

"Please. You have Heehyun-sunbaenim at the other branch." Sejeong mumbled.

"I heard that. Anyways..." Chaeyeon spoke. "...got my task for you, Ahjusshi?"

"For someone who's pretty and younger than Chungha and I, you are one enigma." Sejeong said then handed a document. "Here."

"You're a livesaver." Chaeyeon commented.

"That's my line." Chungha batted.

Chaeyeon grinned and went off. Chungha and Sejeong walked together again.

+++

Chaeyeon, Jieqiong, Sejeong, and Chungha, shared a meal inside the campus for lunch. Nayoung couldn't hang out with them as she was busy settling requirements for graduation.

"It's just elementary yet Nayoung got herself busy." Chungha said.

"Yeah...I miss her..." Jieqiong whined.

They could only watch the woman contemplate and they continued to eat. Chungha was so full she couldn't empty her plate.

"I'll take it from here, Sul." Sejeong said as she got some food on Chungha's plate.

Chungha never wanted to waste food. She regrets everytime she couldn't empty her plate but Sejeong was always there to help, eating everything. The rest would gasp of Sejeong's digestive system but not Chungha.

It was Sejeong's way of helping and she loved her for that.

***

The same thing happened as Chungha couldn't empty her plate. And she was helpful with Yoojung since the oldest of the kids got feisty as she ate. Chungha was busy feeding Sohye and sighed in relief that Sejeong got Yoojung accompanied. 

A cute burp from Sohye was heard and Chungha finally stopped feeding her. Yoojung ate again and was the last to finish. Chungha fixed the table and got the dishes in the sink as Sejeong carried her children outside to play.

"Baby." Chungha called to Sejeong and pecked her cheek. "I'll catch up. Mind watching the kids for a bit?"

"Sure, sure." Sejeong pecked her forehead. "I don't mind at all."


Two cute and pretty s were running around the house, playing. Their mother was awoken by their noises as she went to the living room to calm them down. Despite being really hyper, they were obedient as they stopped and went to hug their mother.

"Good morning, Mommy." They said.

"Good morning, Doyeon, Somi." Chaeyeon replied.

They went together inside another room as the children sat down and faced a frame of a feisty woman. "Good morning, Daddy."

"How's Heaven, Daddy?" Somi joined with her sister.

Chaeyeon smiled and lit the candles. She then joined her children to greet her. "Good morning, love. Our children and I have been well. I pray that you'll always be well up there. I love you, honey."

"We love you, Daddy." Doyeon and Somi said together.

Chaeyeon was now a single mother with two beautiful daughters. Chaeyeon lost her wife days after she gave birth to their children. Doyeon and Somi may have never seen their Daddy in person but Chaeyeon always showed them the picture of her. Up until the two were three years old, they always prayed for their Daddy every morning and Chaeyeon joined them.

If she was alive, she would've seen her children grow. Chaeyeon would've been happier if she was by her side with the kids. But they had memories before and had short yet precious moments as a family when Doyeon and Somi were still a few days old.

Chaeyeon felt like it was just yesterday.

***

2015

The age of marriage would've been an issue for some people but not for Chaeyeon. She felt ecstatic to marry someone she loves despite of them still studying. Now, they had a simple celebration with their closest friends.

"Mazel tov." The three cheered.

"I never thought you'd marry already, Heehyun." Nayoung nudged her.

"Of course. Anything for Chaeyeon," said Heehyun.

"You plan to have kids, Chae?" Sejeong asked.

"Not yet. I'll wait for Heehyun to finish university." Chaeyeon said. 

"And I agree to that." Heehyun added. "Two more years for us, Stone."

"I know," said Nayoung.

"And just like Chaeyeon and I, you and Jieqiong should marry." Heehyun grinned.

Jieqiong loved the idea and Nayoung respected her. Heehyun even pointed at Sejeong and Chungha. "I have dibs for the two of you too."

"After university too." Sejeong cheered.

"To our successes!" Heehyun cheered and everyone joined in.

"And to our marriage," said Chaeyeon in which Heehyun nodded.

+++

A lot has happened after Chaeyeon and Heehyun's marriage. There were no plans of having children because they decided to focus on their studies. NaPink and SeChung helped them with that, always accountable of Chaeyeon. And Nayoung would always call Heehyun so that she'd watch over her from the other campus and that she and Chaeyeon can talk.

But then, emotions went out of control. Chaeyeon and Heehyun had a passionate night and by a few weeks, Chaeyeon got pregnant.

"This wasn't supposed to happen..." Chaeyeon wept.

Chungha and Jieqiong went to comfort her as Sejeong and Nayoung confronted a guilty Ki Heehyun. 

"How long did this happen?" Nayoung asked sternly. "How could you let yourselves slip, huh?!"

"It was an accident." Heehyun huffed.

"You know what this means, right?" Sejeong asked. "You two need to be accountable for what you've done, especially you, Heehyun."

"If you have other plans, Chaeyeon-"

"I...I can't bear to abort this baby." Chaeyeon sniffled. "I could almost ridicule myself if I'm found out that I got pregnant early but I can't bear to abort this baby."

Heehyun wanted to talk to Chaeyeon alone so their friends gave them privacy. She got near Chaeyeon and tried to talk sense into her. "Love...I'm so sorry."

"We both are." Chaeyeon replied. 

"If you want to abort the baby, it's fine by me." Heehyun said. "I'll respect of whatever you decide. I don't want anything bad to happen to you because of this."

Heehyun was truthful to that. Sure it was nice to have children but there were still more responsibilities to do. She makes sure of acountability but there was Chaeyeon. She would never want anything that could distress her.

"No." Chaeyeon cupped her face. "We'll face this together. This child is a blessing to us."

Chaeyeon assured herself for Heehyun's sake and they share thier hug. For Heehyun, she knows it'll be tough but she'll be responsible for Chaeyeon and their future child.

+++

Chaeyeon and Heehyun had their relationship strong. Since Heehyun was the Alpha, she was always by Chaeyeon's aid, studies very hard and earned Top 1 in her university, and worked part-time to save for their future family. Chaeyeon did her way to help Heehyun but she stopped during the second trimester due to her signs of labor.

Their friends, especially Nayoung and Sejeong, helped the couple in anyway they can. Much to the married couple's surprise, all of them worked hard in school and had part-time jobs. They had their shares but they give mostly to Heehyun and Chaeyeon to help support their future family. Heehyun was tearful, especially Chaeyeon, and they were grateful towards their friends.

The nine months passed and Chaeyeon went into labor. For hours of contractions, tight grips and sickening screams, Heehyun prayed for her mother and child as she was by Chaeyeon's side. After all those unbearable moments, the labor was over.

Chaeyeon was safe and sound. Heehyun was too happy that she cried. And they had not one...but two babies. A pair of fraternal twins. Both are girls.

The cries of the babies were heard around the room and Chaeyeon was crying with Heehyun. As soon as the babies were cleaned up, the nurses handed them gently to their parents.

"Hey there, my little angels." Heehyun smiled

"She looks like you." Chaeyeon said about the first baby she was holding.

"And vice-versa." Heehyun added as she talked about the second baby in her arms. "You name them, Chaeyeon."

Chaeyeon decided that they name the babies together. She gives herself privilege to name the baby in her arms. "Somi."

"And this little angel will be our Doyeon." Heehyun added.

Chaeyeon loved the names and so did Heehyun. They shared a kiss as they welcome another phase of life as a family.

+++

Two days passed and Chaeyeon was excited to be released. Little Doyeon was in her arms as Heehyun was asleep on a chair next to her bed, with little Somi tucked onto her arms. Chaeyeon adored the sight that she pats Heehyun's head.

"Honey." She called.

Heehyun didn't respond. Chaeyeon thought Heehyun must've been really tired after working hard for their family. But then, Somi was waning as her little hand held onto Heehyun tight. Heehyun was sweating and her hands shivered lightly.

"Heehyun honey?" Chaeyeon grew worried.

Nayoung, Sejeong, Jieqiong, and Chungha arrived and Sejeong was quick to catch little Somi as Heehyun lets go. The baby cried as Nayoung nudged Heehyun.

"Something's​ wrong." Nayoung was shocked. "Jieqiong, call the doctor now!"

Chaeyeon​ was panicking as Doyeon cried in her arms. Jieqiong ran back as Chungha comforted Chaeyeon and rocked Doyeon to calm her down. Nayoung kept on nudging Heehyun as Chaeyeon reached for her hand.

"Heehyun-ah...honey..." Chaeyeon called as she teared up.

The doctor came in and checked on Heehyun. The nurses were by her side as she told them to carry Heehyun and monitor her. Chaeyeon was worried sick that she tried to get up but her friends had to calm her and the babies down.

But then, Heehyun teared up and a prolonged beep was heard. Her hand fell down the bed and Chaeyeon felt her world fall. She shook her head, all while she heard her babies cry.

"Time of death. 5:58 PM." The doctor said. 

She couldn't face her main patient, let alone the baby girls. But then, she bowed. "Mrs. Ki. I deeply apologize for your loss. We'll investigate her cause of death right away."

Sejeong thanked them as Nayoung cried. The rest teared up. Hearing​ the babies cry made it worse. But Chaeyeon? She was all confused that she screamed and cried. Nayoung and Chungha comfort her but Chaeyeon forced herself to get up and got closer to a lifeless Heehyun.

"Yah! I don't understand!!" Chaeyeon cried. "What happened, honey?!! Why did you leave me?!!" She hugged Heehyun. "Heehyun-ah...how could​ you?! You were supposed to be with me and the babies! We would've been together forever and be a family! Why?!"

Chaeyeon wept and her friends were silent. "Heehyun-ah...how could I go on without you...?"

***

Chaeyeon could never forget how Heehyun died. She never forgot the times Heehyun worked hard for her and their children, only to pay the price of hypothermia, stress, then death. She never forgot the struggle or raising the twins herself and that they had to live without their Daddy.

But there was a silver lining in everything. Their start was too sudden but Chaeyeon was eager to face it to make it up to Heehyun's hard work with love.

"Mommy." Somi spoke. "Look."

A white butterfly flew by the frame and landed onto her children one by one. Its last stop was by Chaeyeon's hand and Chaeyeon's cried.

"Hi, honey." Chaeyeon spoke to the butterfly.

"It's Daddy." Doyeon smiled.

The mother and children smiled and realized that even if Heehyun died, she will always be by their side.


The five friends reunited on a special gathering engaged by Nayoung and Jieqiong. They were in the cemetery where Heehyun was buried. The parents watched as their six children prayed by Heehyun's grave. 

"They're too sweet." Nayoung said.

"Tell me about it." Chungha smiled.

"Time flies so fast. The next thing we know, we're women who have families of our own." Sejeong added, causing the rest of the friends to laugh.

"There were struggles over the years, even the loss of loved ones." Chaeyeon said.

"But there's always a silver lining, right?" Jieqiong asked and everyone agreed.

It was true. Their moments of yore paved wsy towards a silver lining and a brighter future ahead of them.