8. crash a frat party

take the l

Well, Yixing didn’t think that his conversation with Taewoo would end up like this. Hell, he didn’t even engage with 90% of their own campus, and yet, here he was, knowing someone who knew people.

 

“Yeah, I know a guy who’s hosting a frat party, you want in?” Taewoo asked. It was an innocuous question. After telling Taewoo the reason why he was actually on the campus, mostly to fulfill a bucket list item a plus that he could study for his midterms, Taewoo continued to ask about the other items on his list. And yes, it wasn’t really Yixing’s item to go to some party, it was more Baekhyun wanting his innocent mind corrupted, but Taewoo kind of looked at him as though he had a more brilliant idea than Einstein. And just like that, Taewoo was talking about Kikwang, a name that was somewhat familiar to his own ears. He had no idea why, but he knew someone who knew him.

 

“His fraternity only lets a few guys in, but knowing you and Jongdae, you’re good to go,” Taewoo answered. But before Yixing could even say his thanks, the guy smirked and said, “I’m going to pocket my wish now, and let you know when I’ll use it.” Just like his empty Starbucks cup, he was officially speechless. Taewoo confidently took all the details he gave about the bucket list, and decided this item was going to be his.

 

What a cunning bastard, but there was no time to waste because Baekhyun was heading up the stairs and looking at Yixing with a spark of hope in his eyes.

 

“Yo, we gotta get going. The Pineapple House…”

 

“Actually, I might be able to help you guys get into a party for free,” Taewoo answered. And all the color drained from Baekhyun’s face. His dreams were crushed. It took one bad graduate student who was trying to be nice to crush Baekhyun into nothingness. Yixing wished he had that power on Baekhyun. That boy always snapped at him, and he wasn't afraid to. This was mostly because Yixing was such easy prey.

 

“Whose place?” Baekhyun asked. And when Taewoo uttered the fraternity, Baekhyun’s eyes went wide. Apparently, Baekhyun wanted to get into this frat for years, but he never knew anyone who could get him in. And just like his crushed dreams, Baekhyun was a bright eyed puppy who was now attaching his arm to Taewoo’s arm, and looking at Yixing asking if they could adopt him into their trio.

 

No, there was no way they were going to do that at all. It was just not possible for this to happen. There was no way in hell he was going to allow his professional life to mix with his social life, especially not in with Jongdae and Baekhyun involved. Jongdae was somehow going to get him to fall for him, and Baekhyun was going to scare him away by being himself. He could not afford another friend being scared out of his life.

 

But for tonight, Taewoo turned their trio into a quartet. Even though he spent the whole time talking to Yixing, it was nice. Baekhyun and Jongdae were always together, talking about life, and messing around, while Yixing and Taewoo stood behind them as they walked towards Greek Row. It was peaceful. With fall in full swing, it became dark quickly, and the streetlights glowed during their conversations about engineering, the future after college, and stories about the past.

 

That was until they actually got onto Greek Row. That was when mayhem started. There must have been a party at every house. Music was screaming as they passed through. People were crowding around doors, shouts and drunk freshmen were dancing on the lawn, and even though Yixing never experienced this before, he didn’t think it was this bad. Surprised by it all, Yixing accidentally lost his train of thought while he was talking.

 

Chuckling, Taewoo asked, “First time?”

 

Parties at their campus were never like this. They were just in the middle of nowhere mansions that someone rented out for the night. And it was always a little low key, but for once, this was what a party was supposed to be. This was what college parties were really like. This was the traditional college experience. It was ing scary.

 

“You could say that,” he replied in amazement. Before he could even say anything else, there was a shout from behind him, and as all four heads turned. There was a very tall and somewhat drunk college kid headed towards… Baekhyun?

 

“You ing giraffe, can you not be so loud?” Baekhyun groaned as the drunk fool wrapped his arms around Baekhyun’s waist, and snuggled his head into the nook of his neck. It was an odd sight. He must have been two of Baekhyun, and Baekhyun was terrible with public affection.

 

“Park Chanyeol, get your damn drunk body off me.”

 

Everyone’s eyes widened. That was the notorious Park Chanyeol? As in Baekhyun’s best friend in his freshman year, as in, the guy he lost his ity to? What. The. . Baekhyun’s favorite story was to tell them how they made out in the conference room, or how they had in a closet because his roommates were in the room. They never expected him to be even friendly with him anymore since the incident, but there he was.

 

Hugging Baekhyun.

 

And Baekhyun was not having any of it.

 

“Who’s that?” Taewoo whispered into Yixing’s ears. Yixing was about to open his mouth, but Jongdae swung his arms around the two of them, successfully ing anything that was going to happen next. Taewoo didn't get an explanation because he hadn’t been initiated yet.

 

“None of your damn business, Mr. TA, now get us into that party.” And just like that Taewoo shut up while Chanyeol clung onto Baekhyun as they continued their trek. This was going to be an interesting night.

 

Baekhyun had no idea where the other three went. He lost them the moment they entered Kikwang’s fraternity. Kikwang was the only person he really wanted to meet. Chanyeol was still clinging to his arm, babbling apologies about why their friendship ended, or something, and even though he forgave the bastard in his sophomore year, things were never really the same.

 

“Man, I really want to go on a date with her,” Chanyeol whined into his neck as the two swerved around the party. He knew who he was referring to, and he also remembered why he never went after her. A lot of it had to do with the fact that she was not interested in bois.

 

And even though Baekhyun knew Chanyeol outgrew that phase, they never crossed paths again till this year.

 

“She works at the coffee shop part time,” Chanyeol continued. Right, Chanyeol was only at the big campus this quarter, and would be back next quarter so he’d have to see him again. Great. Rolling his eyes, he grabbed a red solo cup before trying to search the place for the legendary Lee Kikwang.

 

“Dude, ask her out,” he replied as he felt suffocated by the world around them. How could he drop Chanyeol for the night so he could find his friends, and also find Kikwang? It just didn’t make sense why Chanyeol would cling onto him when they weren’t anything more than friends with benefits. But he clung on his arm more as they swerved deeper and deeper into the crowd.

 

“Where’s the friend you came here with?” Baekhyun asked as they moved upstairs. And before Chanyeol could even answer, something hit Baekhyun. Lee Kikwang just bumped into him. This dark hair eye smiling fellow was rubbing the front of his head, and he was staring in pure delight.

 

“Are you alright?” Kikwang asked.

 

“Yeah, thanks for asking,” Baekhyun answered as he rubbed his own forehead. They were forehead injury twins now, and like fate, he didn’t know what to do about it.

 

“You’re Baekhyun!” Kikwang exclaimed before wrapping his arms around him, and he smelled a little of alcohol, but he also smelled like cotton linen, and a hint of strawberry. See, the thing about Kikwang was that he was a boy he found on Tinder. It was a weird period of his life, to be honest. He had been on so many dates with different people that they all started to look alike. It was just that Kikwang told him straight up he just wanted to talk, and Baekhyun felt the relief of not having to play fronts, or play a game of pretending. They had been talking on and off for a year, always saying good morning, leaving goodnight texts when needed. It was just easy between the two of them, and he never felt like he had to be someone he wasn’t. The others didn’t know about him the way they thought they did. All they knew was that he was this amazing person in his eyes, and almost obsessive with, but it wasn’t that. For a year, he was the boy who helped him get up in the morning, and make life worth living. He always complimented him, he always sent the sun emoji, and day in and day out, he wanted this day to happen. But they both weren’t ready for this.

 

Even though both of them didn’t think they were ever going to be anything because Kikwang was on this campus, he never stopped wondering where they might meet. And it was here, where a drunken fool was clinging onto him, where Kikwang was slightly drunk with that tipsy smile. He could feel the insecurity in his stomach in the form of butterflies, how he was just so handsome, and how Kikwang only saw him, not the boy who was trying to get his attention, or trying to get him to listen to him.

 

“I didn’t think I’d ever meet you,” Kikwang said, and he sounded like a loving song that played to wake up in the morning.

 

“Well, now, we’re here,” he replied. And it was just so natural the two of them. After he pushed Chanyeol to another person, and after talking for an hour or two in the dark, it just happened. Baekhyun was being pulled into a kiss. It didn’t take long for the forehead bruised soulmates to kiss on top of the bed while the world around them was drunk and filled to the brim with people. It was infatuation at first sight. In the dark, they tasted each part of each other, laughing and giggling under the blankets. They threw pillows to the side because pillows were stupid in Kikwang’s opinion, and Baekhyun was just going to go with it.

 

Kikwang tasted like strawberry vodka, but he sounded like the twinkle in the stars, or he looked like fireworks, and sure it was easy to say that about other people, but Baekhyun had a relationship with him. It wasn't like Chanyeol, where it was just whenever and no depth in conversation. With Kikwang, there was a familiarity he never felt with someone else.

 

Pulling away, Kikwang only smiled and Baekhyun smiled back, not wanting to ruin this moment. And it was perfect. Sure, it wasn’t going to go anywhere as their fingers intertwined and they were staring at the ceiling. Sure, he knew that he would have to let go because this was an one time thing, and sure, they weren’t in love because he was drunk, but it was perfect.

 

“I’m not ready for a relationship,” Kikwang hummed into the darkness. And Baekhyun only closed his eyes and smiled, reveling in the saccharine of his voice.

 

“I’m not either. Let’s not make this something,” he finished. And just like that, Baekhyun was being pulled into another kiss. The moment was never ruined because this wasn’t love. This wasn’t an infatuation. This was Baekhyun caring more for Kikwang’s wants and needs, and knowing that this was only temporary. That was okay though.

 

He never needed a romantic kind of love to live. He just needed someone to help me through this time. And staring into Kikwang’s chocolate chai eyes, Baekhyun knew that this was enough for him. This was the only thing that needed to be enough.

 

“No hard feelings?” Kikwang asked.

 

Baekhyun pressed a kiss onto his forehead.

 

“No hard feelings.”