3. help park chanyeol get sandara park

take the l

“So, I’ll catch you later?” Yixing asked as his friend headed out of their elective class. She nodded and before he could turn in the other direction, a person hooked him. There was only one culprit, and as he turned his head, he knew he was right. Kim Jongdae was slugging him away to the nearest walk in life.

 

“You know Sandara,” he pointed out the girl as she walked along the concrete path. There was a mischievous look on his face as he pointed this obvious fact. It was strange, but yes, this was true, Yixing definitely knew Sandara Park. This was mostly because she worked part time at a coffee shop at the other campus that Taewoo took him to after they had a meeting. Also because she wanted to do the cross campus program because she lived closer, and only needed electives for her major. He recommended this one. “And you know that Park Chanyeol is in love with her, right?”

 

Well, no, he had no idea Baekhyun’s flower taker actually had a giant crush on Sandara. It wasn’t like it was on his many stupid facts he needed to know about life. Finally pulling Jongdae’s arm off his body, he glared at him.

 

“Stop playing games, what are you getting at?” he asked, facing him. Jongdae sneakily looked down at his sneakers before looking back up at Yixing with another grin on his face.

 

“Number three on the bucket list, my dear friend,” he finished before tossing the black bible towards him.

 

His eyes widened, and he didn’t want to know who wrote it down. Help Chanyeol get with Sandara. This had to be Baekhyun’s want because there was no way Jongdae was going to help someone do that. It was so high up on that bucket list, but what was he supposed to do with this information? Sandara was a nice girl, and he didn’t want her to be corrupted by Chanyeol.

 

“Okay, but Valentine’s Day is in a week, and you could do Baekhyun a solid, and help his old friend get some,” Jongdae explained. If there was something Baekhyun was good at, it was he totally knew how to repay a favor as big as this. Besides, Baekhyun was not going to be any help since he didn’t know Sandara. And Chanyeol would have to be his slave for at least a little bit after doing such a favor.

 

Slave, Yixing liked the idea of that. But he also just liked the idea of people getting together on Valentine’s Day. He knew Jongdae went hard when it came to Valentine’s Day because he always treated people with flowers, chocolates, and everything. So, with the Valentine’s Day mastermind and the two boys who knew at least one of the parties, it was time to get to work on something pretty damn magical.

 

“Okay, but you better buy me so many chocolate strawberries, and Baekhyun will have to be my slave for a week.”

 

“Wow, you’re evil. I like you.”

 

D-DAY: 5

 

to; chanyeol
from; baekhyun

how well do you know sandara?
 

to; baekhyun

from; chanyeol

we text everyday.
 

to; chanyeol

from; baekhyun

And you never asked her out???
 

to; baekhyun
from; chanyeol

friendships are important.
 

to; chanyeol

from; baekhyun

wowza. You’re a moron.
 

It was actually possible to get these two together, surprisingly. At first, Baekhyun truly thought that Chanyeol had a crush from afar and didn’t do anything about it. But no, if they were texting everyday and had things to talk about, it was possible. He thought it was just going to be a friends with benefit kind of thing, but it really wasn’t. The two of them weren’t just going to hook up and leave. Amazing, how could he get one of those things?

 

And if what Yixing was saying was right, then Sandara actually liked the dude back, but because they were both es, they didn’t hit on each other. Their friendship was just too important. Now, he understood why Jongdae was so anti-romance about life because things like this always seemed to happen. Both parties liked each other, but they were too scared to do anything about it. It didn’t make sense as to why they were all like this. But he was sitting at the coffee shop, waiting for Jongdae to pick up Baekhyun’s tea latte and some speciality drink. However, it seemed like Jongdae was distracted by the barista at the counter.

 

Usually, it was Doojoon or Jeonghan at the register, but today, he met someone new. Something about him made Jongdae light up, and even though he was curious to figure out why, Jongdae told him to wait for him upstairs while he was talking up the brunette on duty. There was a hint of excitement in his voice, but it was the first time in a long time that he saw Jongdae excited. He could hear bits and pieces of their conversation, but it ended as quickly as he sat down.

 

Before he could even ask about the barista though, Jongdae was pulling out his phone and pointing at the screenshots Yixing sent him about Sandara liking Chanyeol. It was true. Yixing was getting screenshots of their own screenshots, and it was like they were being detectives. How were they going to get these two together in a week? Baekhyun took a sip out of his latte before he said anything. As he scrolled through the screenshots, Jongdae’s eyes were focused over the balcony.

 

“You’re smitten, aren’t you?” Baekhyun asked as he continued to stare at the barista.

 

Raising an eyebrow, Jongdae looked at the heart in his latte art. “Nah, he just makes me really happy,” he replied with a faraway smile on his face.

“Who is that guy?” he asked.

Not answering that question, he stared at Baekhyun’s texts and snorted. Of course the two of them were interested in each other. Chanyeol was loud and goofy, but Sandara was quiet and goofy at the same time. Their types of humor matched up, they were in a lot of classes together when they were at the same campus, and he just didn’t understand why none of them confessed to each other.

“So, what’s the plan? Have a Valentine’s Day party at your place?” Jongdae asked as he sipped his latte. Baekhyun shrugged his shoulders.

 

“You’re the one who usually comes up with this stuff. Don’t you have something?” he questioned. He took a moment to drink his drink, and while Jongdae was always the master of small gestures and planning events, he didn’t know what to do about this.

 

“We’ll figure it out. For now, I think it’s important that we know that they like each other.” And just like that, Baekhyun watched as Jongdae continued to stare down the barista as though he never saw anyone else the same way.

 

D-DAY: 3

 

“Do you have a plan?” Yixing asked as Jongdae came parading in his apartment. With how he was acting lately, there was something else on his mind that no one could understand. Honestly, Baekhyun was surprised that Jongdae could look at someone like that, and it was obvious Jongdae wasn’t paying attention to him when they were talking. He had to know for himself. Looking up from his phone, he nodded.

 

“Yeah. Chanyeol is buying her roses as a scavenger hunt in the morning which means just asking her friends to be the hints, and he’s starting it at Doojoon’s place so I paid Doojoon to make her her favorite drink on the menu which will come with the first clue. Throughout the day, she'll ask certain friends if they have the next clue, she’ll get a new rose and a new little gift. You have the last class with her so Chanyeol will probably ask you to hand her a rose and a plush or something, and then they’ll be getting happy hour sushi, and if everything goes well, they’ll have ,” he finished before his face went back to looking at his phone.

 

Yixing knew Jongdae was infatuated with his phone, but he always gave him his full attention. What was so important about the person on his phone? But before he could question it, he put his phone away and smiled at Yixing. “I was talking to Chanyeol the other day so he’s down for it,” he finished. As confused as he was, at least Jongdae knew what he was doing. He watched as Jongdae plopped himself onto the couch, and they started to discuss how Sandara was going to feel, how everything was going, and most importantly, Jongdae asked about Taewoo.

 

Except, they both knew that this wasn’t going anywhere. Well, Yixing didn’t think so. Sure, they talked everyday about life and his internship, and just math in general, but he didn’t think that it would go anywhere because of how long it been.

 

“Did he ask you out for something on V-Day?” Jongdae asked as he messed around with one of toys on the couch. His fingers spun it without a second thought as Yixing tried to compose thoughts. His eyes glazed over, staring at the fake wooden table. How was he supposed to tell the king of first dates that nothing was going to happen, and that he didn’t have hope?

 

“Nah.”

 

That was one way of putting it. 

 

Rolling his eyes, Jongdae then took Yixing’s phone against his will. “Look, that graduate boy keeps treating you out. Treat him out for once. Is that so hard?” he asked, and typing in his passcode, Jongdae scrolled to his most recents to see Taewoo with a heart next to him. Glaring at the boy, Jongdae then started typing away. In horror, Yixing watched as he pressed the send button.

 

to; taewoo ❤

From; yixing
hey, let’s go out for valentine’s day. my treat.

 

to; yixing
from; taewoo ❤
i thought you’d never ask.

 

Throwing Yixing’s phone back to him, he continued to roll his eyes.

 

“That boy is heavily into you, and you’re going to go get sushi with him,” he finished before getting up from his seat and leaving Yixing speechless. Sure, Jongdae was good, but he didn’t think he was that good. The man with confidence managed to get two dates for people in a span of three days. How was it even possible?

 

D-Day: 1

 

“You don’t have a date, do you?” Yixing asked when Baekhyun showed up at the coffee shop. The two of them didn’t order yet because it was Jongdae’s job, but for some reason Jongdae was there after they were. Before Baekhyun could reject that notion, Jongdae came walking in with a familiar face.

 

“I’m pretty sure he does,” Jongdae said with Kikwang latched onto his arm. There was a surprised look on Baekhyun’s face when Kikwang looked at him with that same smile from the party.

 

“How the did you even…?” Yixing started, but before Jongdae could answer, Kikwang ran to Baekhyun’s side, and started jumping up and down with a grand smile on his face. As if they were at the party all over again, they were infatuated with each other. How they looked, how each of their conversations just flowed so simply throughout the night, it was perfect.

 

“Doojoon gave me his number. That’s the dude I was texting at your apartment. I thought Baekhyun deserved a good Valentine’s Day too. So, knowing Doojoon who knows a bunch of people at that party, I was sure he could help me. And now Kikwang is chilling at my apartment for the night, and those two will also be dating at the sushi place because it’s low key and beautiful too,” he finished as he went to the counter to order for the four of them.

 

Yixing stared as Jongdae started a conversation with Jeonghan about how he missed his old hair, bobbing his head as Jeonghan talked about his day. It was weird. Jongdae was always doing things for others, but no one ever did anything for him. He watched as he glowed while talking to Jeonghan. It was as if every person he came across deserved some kind of kindness, and Jongdae knew how to do that.

 

to; yixing
from; taewoo ❤

can’t wait for tomorrow.

 

to; taewoo ❤

from; yixing

you better because i’ve never done this for anyone.

 

to; yixing

from; taewoo ❤

i’m touched and also slightly terrified.

 

Somehow, Jongdae knew what to do to make everything better. When it came to Yixing's dating life, Jongdae knew which buttons to push. His heart soared, and he became somewhat of a blushing mess that Baekhyun was definitely going to for after this. But he just wanted things to be perfect with a guy he really was interested in.

 

D-Day: 0

 

Valentine Morning: Doojoon’s Coffee Shop

“They should call you Cupid,” Doojoon commented when Jongdae sat on one of the tables before opening time. Wagging his fingers, he nodded his head.

 

“They should call me a lot of things, but I haven’t heard Cupid yet,” he started. “I’m surprised Taewoo hasn’t hit you up about Yixing yet since you two are such good friends now,” he started, staring at his wine canvas sneakers.

 

“Oh, he has. He is somewhat threatened by me,” Doojoon blurted out as he started to work on Jongdae’s black and white mocha. “I mean, can’t blame him, we got some fine history together,” he continued before Jongdae cocked his head back in laughter. After that, a girl with brown cascading hair came shyly in, an anxious look on her face as she stared at a scrap of graph paper. Figures that Chanyeol wouldn’t use anything special for these hints.

 

Honestly, he was just surprised that his handwriting was somewhat legible. “Sandara, right?” he asked when he noticed the scared look on her face. She nodded her head, and he smiled before patting the seat next to him. Sure, Doojoon was going to yell at him for breaking the rules of his haven, but he broke that a long time ago by walking into this place.

 

“My friend, Yixing has a class with you. You seemed kind of lost, is there anything I can help you with?” he asked. She bit her lips, and almost hesitantly pushed the graph paper to him. It wasn’t even Chanyeol’s handwriting. It was Baekhyun’s. How did he convince Baekhyun to write these notes for him?

 

In his cursive handwriting, it started with Chanyeol’s first note at the coffee shop. This was the place the two of them went to whenever they had struggles with their homework, and Doojoon was around to help them both, or the place where Jeonghan would always keep the atmosphere light with his jokes and complaints. Jongdae didn’t know they spent so much time there, but he wasn’t surprised. The hole in the wall place was something that was starting to be known around campus.

 

“I found this in my binder when I was heading out of my apartment, and I guess it’s from a secret admirer. But this is my favorite place near campus so whoever it is knows me well,” she started. “And I’m just surprised because I didn’t think anyone would do something like this for me ever. And it’s so sweet, and I am in awe,” she squealed. Her eyes lit up as she spoke, and he knew that feeling whenever he when he gave someone a valentine.

 

“Someone as beautiful as yourself? Of course someone would look at you like that. Don’t put yourself down like that,” he finished, tilting her chin up with a smile. As if on cue, Doojoon gave Sandara a to go coffee cup with a lavender infused latte. A wide grin appeared on her face as Doojoon said Happy Valentine’s Day, and she skipped her way out of the coffee shop with a new note in her hand.

 

“You are too good for this world,” Doojoon commented. Laughing, he flipped his hair and took his cup from Doojoon.

 

“I know. It’s a crime to be this wonderful.”

 

to; jong-idiot
from; yixing

dude, he’s on his way to the coffee shop.

 

to; yixing
from; jong-idiot

he? as in your boy? okay.

 

And just like that, Yixing’s boy, Taewoo was staring straight at Jongdae with a smile on his face. Why? He had no idea, but he wasn’t going to question it. Secretly, Taewoo was a gorgeous man who was never going to be his type.

 

“So does Yixing like me?” Taewoo asked straight up. Oh, he didn’t like boys like that. They didn’t ask the boy but the friend of the boy they were crushing on. He already knew that it wasn’t even worth playing. He wanted answers, and Jongdae wasn’t in the mood to answer to that.

 

“Not my tea to spill. If you want that information, ask him,” Jongdae stated, and like that, he got up from his spot and left,. With a dismissive nod to Doojoon, he shouted, “Good luck gorgeous. Happy Valentine’s Day!” As he sipped his mocha, he almost burnt his tongue. Doojoon didn’t make him a black and white mocha. He made him a rose latte with a hint of nutmeg. He was going to kill him. Roses were not for drinking.

 

"Yo, you asked Cupid the dumbest question. You could have done better than that."

 

"I mean-"

 

"Just don't be a next time. Jongdae is a miracle worker."

 

Valentine Afternoon: Jongdae’s Apartment

“Are you ready?” Baekhyun asked Chanyeol as he picked him up from Jongdae’s place with Kikwang. He wouldn’t trust Chanyeol with the spare key to his apartment, but Jongdae never really cared who came by because there was barely anything worth stealing in his apartment. Kikwang stood behind Baekhyun, his fingers itching to hold his, but he didn’t want to come off as clingy. Staying at Jongdae’s apartment and hearing how often Baekhyun talked about Kikwang made him change his mind about being with him. Well, he thought so. He still wasn't sure.

 

It also didn’t help that Jongdae knew how much Kikwang loved seeing him at the party, and didn’t know he was somewhat lying about not being ready for a relationship. It was so long ago though that he was sure Baekhyun wasn’t interested in someone like him. Kikwang didn’t know what to say, but he stood behind him and stared at the boy who stole his crush's, if he could call him that, ity.

 

“I guess, I dunno. I don’t wanna ruin anything with her, y’know?” Chanyeol started, his hands getting sweaty. This was the first time that Baekhyun saw him so anxious like Yixing before a giant test, or after a giant test. “Like she’s so strong, and she’s so beautiful, and she’s so quiet, but when she talks, it’s like we connect on another level, and I just-”

 

“Okay Romeo, let’s going,” Baekhyun started and the two other boys trailed behind Baekhyun. His heart pounded because the guy he couldn’t get out of his mind was sitting beside him. For weeks, months, after all of it, he tried to accept it. He went on dates with others, he kissed other people, hell, he was in a with beautiful people, but he still wanted him.

 

It was unfair to like someone as beautiful as him. Not saying a word though, he drove Yixing’s car to the sushi place, and while Chanyeol looked cute with his polka dotted shirt and khakis and with the ten red roses, his eyes were stuck on Kikwang and his black button-down shirt, his sweet smile, and how he looked so good in a bowtie.

 

“Eyes on the road, love,” Kikwang noted, and it made his heart melt. There was no way that he could just be looking at him like that, right? He just needed to get over it. But Chanyeol stared from back, and he knew that was how he looked at Sandara. The two of them looked at each other as though they were the only two in the world, and he thought about how cute it would be to see those two together.

 

Outsiders always saw things better than the insiders.

 

Valentine Evening: TheKOI

“So, your date is here too?” Sandara asked as she stared at the new white rose she got from Yixing. Nodding his head, he saw how Sandara looked. She was ecstatic. The whole day of scavenger hunting, she received coffee, plushies, and roses just because Chanyeol kept buying things that reminded him of her. The monkey plushie was because they always wanted to see Curious George together but never got the chance to. The roses because they were her favorite, and coffee because she was always in desperate need of coffee, and because it was their spot Wednesday mornings.

 

He didn’t think a guy like Chanyeol could do something like this. He also didn’t know he ever wanted to do something like this. But when he was saw it in person, he realized how much it meant to someone. Chanyeol managed to make this all happen with Jongdae’s help, and a few other volunteers, him included. And every time Sandara talked today, she was so happy, and she was rambling with her dorkiness, every step she took was full of bounce. Who could have thought a simple gesture like this could make someone so happy.

 

When he showed up at the sushi place, he was surprised to see how happy Taewoo was when he saw the two of them. And Yixing was at a loss of words. Even in his somewhat casual wear, he looked so amazing. With his skinny jeans and dark shirt, he was at a loss. How could he be looking that good? But he wasn’t the only one who was ecstatic.

 

Sandara saw Chanyeol standing there in his polka dotted shirt with the rest of flowers, and she squealed, jumping up and down and even hugging the boy. Sure, there was no way to know if they were both insecure that the other didn’t like them. But everyone knew that they were mutually interested in each other. They just weren’t doing anything about it.

 

Kikwang and Baekhyun were already being cute on the side, staring at each other, laughing at each other’s jokes, and just in their own little world. It must have been sickening for Chanyeol. But it seemed as though he was too nervous for today to notice the two of them. And if he did, they were trying to reassure him that things were going to be okay.

 

“And you’re looking as gorgeous as ever,” Taewoo answered. He took his hand, and three couples were placed in three different places, a booth, the sushi bar, and a table. And while no one knew what was going to happen this Valentine’s Day night, each of them had a different good experience.

 

Taewoo and Yixing ordered a bottle of wine while talking about mathematics, sharing flirty math pick up lines, and feeding each other sushi while dropping it onto their plates from time to time. Their booth saw day turn to night, but they were too busy noticing how the sun set in each other’s eyes to notice the outside world. Even though Yixing’s stomach was filled to the brim with butterflies and insecurities, talking with Taewoo always made them disappear.

 

Baekhyun and Kikwang sat at the table, talking about their lives, about the silly things that happened throughout the day, and never noticing that their fingers were getting closer and closer to each other, how their lips wanted to be touching. They didn’t notice how they started to mimic each other, or how their feet were starting to play footsies like a high school couple. But as they shared the tempura ice cream, leaving whipped cream on each other’s noses, they just enjoyed that moment.

 

And finally there was the couple in question. The two of them sat the sushi bar, watching the chefs do their thing at any awkward moment. Laughing over mochi and sushi, this was how it felt to be with a sweet couple. Sandara continued to light up every time Chanyeol complimented her, and they told each other they liked each other at the same time. And as if it could never end, they spoon fed each other, shared the sushi, played games, and continued to see each other in a light they never thought would happen.

 

Everyone’s Valentine’s Day was full of pink and cotton candy. It was just the way it was supposed to be underneath the dimly lit lanterns with its mint water. Just the way Jongdae planned it, and no, they never called Jongdae cupid, but it was okay. This was how it was supposed to be. A night filled with couples who wanted to get closer, get to know the ridges of their souls, and somehow in the midst of it all, they could see how their souls danced underneath the yellow lights, and how the world seemed to stop as they tried to figure out if their red strings of fate connected. It was just the way Jongdae wanted. It was just the way it always should have been.

 

“Thanks for tonight, guys,” Chanyeol stated as their dates started to head out, and all three of them were waiting for them to get to the car. Taewoo suggested they all carpool together and be infatuated together, or something like that.

 

As they watched their dates disappear into their cars, Yixing could only smile. The moon was out and shining, and the city lights acted like their stars.

 

“It was all Jongdae,” Yixing credited as Baekhyun nodded his head. “If it wasn’t for him, this would have never happened. So thank him,” he added as Taewoo waved to the boys.

 

“He’s Cupid or something,” Baekhyun laughed, and the three of them smiled as they watched Taewoo’s black car drive up the hill and out of sight.

 

Jongdae may have been their Cupid, but they never knew that he spent the whole night crying, pretending that Valentine's Day never happened to a fool like him.