2. find the drug dealer

take the l

A week after their first meeting, Baekhyun knew which apartment the drug dealer lived in.

 

For the longest time, Yixing and Baekhyun heard about the famed drug dealer in their apartment building. From time to time, they’d see a few college students high as , or twitching out on the good stuff. And being the academic oriented kids, they never really wanted to take a step into that world. However, it became more and more obvious in conversation that a lot of the college kids in the apartments thought it was the best conversational topic. It became a mission for the two of them to find this mythical drug dealer. Today would be the day they found out all the secrets. Baekhyun just couldn’t wait. When he came crashing into Jongdae’s apartment, face planted on the living room ground, he knew he couldn’t hide it. There was no way that the light brunette boy could even get away from this.

“Bro, what?” Jongdae asked from his desk as Baekhyun soldier crawled the rest of the way towards him. It looked like Jongdae was working on some calculus because he was facetiming Yixing, and the only time he facetimed Yixing was so Yixing could help him with calculus.

“I found the drug dealer.”

Dropping his phone, he stared at Baekhyun in disbelief. “How?! What? When!?” Jongdae exclaimed. Looking down at his phone then at Baekhyun, he realized this meant an incredibly important meet-up. Picking up his phone, Jongdae said, “Did you hear that, Yixing? It’s time to find a drug dealer.”

“Okay, but what about your calculus?”

“Derivatives and integrals can wait! Your roommate just found the gate to heaven. It is time to get your to our spot, Picasso’s, and get some Molly.”

“Dude,” Yixing reprimanded.

“Okay, no Molly, but I want to meet this drug dealer! So be there in 10.”

Yixing couldn’t interrupt because Jongdae hung up on him and threw his phone onto the couch. With a triumphant smile, he dragged Baekhyun by the arm and into his car. It was time to find out where heaven was.

It was an accident really. Baekhyun’s pre-med friends decided to hang out at his place because after realizing that their GPAs were bound to drown every quarter, they needed to relax a little. And so that was how Kang Ha Neul, Lee Joon Gi, Joo Hyuk, Jonghyun and Jisoo all ended up on his living room, scavenging the place for alcohol, video games, and blankets. If Baekhyun remembered correctly, it was Ha Neul who was the one who told him which apartment it was. Because while the other boys were settling on the couch, setting up the consoles, Ha Neul took out a wad of cash and sneakily put it in Baekhyun’s pockets.

“Could you pick up my order?” he asked. First off, Baekhyun never thought Ha Neul would be the one to do that. He had that bright and shiny smile that was so innocent and pure. He had to wonder if Ha Neul ever felt another pair of lips on his own. (Jongdae told Baekhyun later that yes, Ha Neul definitely knew what lips felt like.) But he had that shiny smile on his face again and Baekhyun just fell for it. He decided to ask him where the apartment was.

Surprised, the pre-med student got up and ruffled his hair. “You’ve never been to G-Tae’s place? I’ll take you there,” he said with that same smile. Baekhyun being the excited kid agreed pretty easily. According to Ha Neul, the only reason why he even knew about the druggie haven was because Woobin, a business major that Ha Neul met at a bar, was really close with the people who ran the place. When Ha Neul joked around about needing Molly for research purposes, Woobin told him about the place he usually went to. Kim Woobin was the real MVP that day, and there was nothing else to be said about that.

“Did you go inside with Ha Neul?” Yixing asked as though this was the most interesting thing to happen to him that Thursday. It was. All he did was go to class and worked on his homework before Jongdae interrupted that to ask him for help. As Jongdae sipped his velvet mocha from his coffee mug, and listened intently to Baekhyun. The excitement on the boy’s face disappeared when he heard the story. It was just how Jongdae was. Easily excitable but also easily bored.

“Nah, he told me I had to experience that another time. He bought a lot of weed that night though.”

“I can’t believe you did that while I was back home,” Yixing complained. He didn’t even know that it was possible for his roommate to get rid of the weed smell that easily, but it wasn’t the pre-med group’s first time smoking, and it probably wouldn’t be the last time. “I can’t even imagine pre-med students doing that, Maybe English majors,” Yixing continued, earning a punch in the shoulder by Jongdae. Yixing took any chance he could to throw some punches at Jongdae. It was just too easy to make jokes about English majors. They were probably the least profitable degrees.

“Anyways, more importantly, what is our plan to go meet them? Would they even be home if we went over to their place?” Jongdae asked after bruising Yixing’s arm. See, Baekhyun didn’t come up with a plan for something like this. Honestly, he thought Jongdae was going to be in charge of that. But Jongdae only continued to sip on his coffee while staring at Baekhyun.

“Well, I thought you were going to do that…” Baekhyun mumbled. There was a strange silence. Yixing glanced from Jongdae then to Baekhyun. While Baekhyun was looking at the ground, Jongdae was focusing on his fingers. Why did it feel like Yixing had to step up to the plate? Clearing his throat, he stated, “We go to the apartment, knock on the door, and pray that he opens the door.” He had no idea why the two of them were making it harder than it should have been. Hell, did they all not know about Occam's Razor? The simple answer was always the best answer. And with one look, they all nodded their heads.

But as they got up, Jongdae asked, “Did you ask Jeonghan what his wish was?” Baekhyun blushed red again. After the two’s date, he learned two things. One that Jeonghan was a freshman, and he was not down for freshmen. Two, Jeonghan knew how to fluster him. There wasn’t a moment when he didn’t blush because of him. And when they came in, Jeonghan winked his way. Because even though he was a freshman, he had charms that put him in Jongdae’s league. But the moment Jongdae came into view, Jeonghan was incredibly flustered. It was obvious that the two of them had some kind of thing going on, but Jongdae wouldn’t tell. He said his lips were sealed, and it only frustrated Baekhyun. How was Jongdae going to set him up with someone he obviously had some kind of history with?

“I didn’t because I was kind of busy…” he trailed off. Jongdae wrapped a hand around his shoulder and chuckled. Quickly, Baekhyun shook off the shoulder. “I’ll ask him now.” Without another thought, he walked downstairs and straight to Jeonghan who was staring at Jongdae.

“Hey,” Baekhyun stated as he got to the counter. Jeonghan gazed at Baekhyun with a grin that was a mixture of coy and cocky if that was actually possible.

“What can I help you with?” he asked. How was it possible to look that good? And how was it that Jeonghan made his knees so weak?

“So, you helped us with our bucket list. And I was wondering if we could help you with yours,” he managed to babble. Putting his head on his hands, Jeonghan glanced from Jongdae to Baekhyun then back to Jongdae. It was obvious what he wanted, Baekhyun could just tell. And if there was anything he could assume, it was going to be going on a date with Jongdae.

Not skipping a beat, Jeonghan smiled and asked, “Doojoon wants to host a party at your place. You down?” Baekhyun stared in confusion. Jeonghan wasn’t going to ask Jongdae on a date. More importantly, he wanted someone else’s wish to be fulfilled. There went any kind of future predicting Baekhyun could do. Laughing, Jongdae gave him a bro shake.

“He has to come over sometime, and we’ll plan it. He needs a break from all the service work he does.”

First off, how did Jongdae know Doojoon, a business major who was notorious for being only involved with his volunteering clubs? Second off, how did Jeonghan know that? It just didn’t make any sense. But before Baekhyun could ask anything, Yixing pulled the two of them out of the cafe. The most important thing was that they met this drug dealer, and nothing was going to get in his way.

“Apartment 420. How cliche,” Yixing deadpanned. Baekhyun heard from Ha Neul that the dealer specifically requested this apartment room no matter where he or she was. And it was as though all the landlords knew each other because they kept giving the room to drug dealer. Not that it was a problem, but Baekhyun was always surprised to know that everyone in the area seemed to know each other. Hell, Jongdae knowing Doojoon wasn’t something he thought was possible. But it wasn’t that big of a campus, and it wasn’t even that big of a city. And if Ha Neul was right, the landlords always wanted a little bit of their stock with other people no matter what. It was kind of a well known secret among apartment buildings. It wasn’t realistic, but there were so many surprises.

“Blaze it,” Jongdae replied. With that, Baekhyun knocked on the door. And what surprised him the most was that a girl in a flower crown, long flowing blonde hair opened the door with a sweet smile on her face. When he thought of the drug dealer, he thought of a sketchy looking college aged male with a permanent frown on his face. Not an ephemeral fairy queen. Looking at the three boys, who were obviously much taller than her, she only tilted her head like a doll.

“Can I help you guys?” she asked. Her voice was as sweet as ambrosia. And Baekhyun sort of had a crush on a voice like that.

“Uh,” Baekhyun started. He was startled. How was it possible for someone like her to be the queen of all the things people were looking for. While Jongdae elbowed him, Yixing shrugged his shoulders and answered, “We’ve been trying to find the person who has all the drugs, and we heard it was this apartment number, but that’s way too stereotypical. And we were wondering if we could get some of it.”

Then her eyes brightened, and she opened the door fully, revealing an incredibly empty living room. Again, Baekhyun was expecting something more than that. “You should have said that. You guys aren’t my regulars so I thought you were undercover cops or something. Who did you told you?” she asked as she gestured the boys into her apartment. Baekhyun was the last to enter and shut the door behind him. The walls were bare from any kind of decorations other than string fairy lights, and a few books on the shelves in the corner. As he went to join the other two on the couch, the girl went towards the shelves, trying to find a book.

“Kang Ha Neul,” Baekhyun managed to stutter. Looking away from her books, she turned to him and smiled. Ha Neul made everyone smile. The mention of his name made people smile. He was just that personable. With looks like his, it was impossible to think otherwise.

“He’s a cutie. Jiyong keeps telling me that I miss him when he drop by for his orders,” she replied, a small blush appearing on her face. Surprised, Baekhyun turned to Yixing, who was laying his head on Jongdae’s shoulder, taking in how beautiful the apartment was. Kwon Jiyong was Yixing’s deskmate for physics his freshman year, and he remembered how Yixing always had a new story about him.

“Ah, you must be Taeyeon, his girlfriend then?” Yixing answered. Spinning on her heel, her smile softened. It was as if Jiyong’s name made her calm. Even bringing up his name seemed to be her lavender tea.

“Haha, yeah. Jiyong’s at work right now. How do you know him?” she asked as curious as a cat. She seemed so attentive to her boyfriend’s life.

“We had physics together all freshman year and a few classes here and there,” he replied.

“Ah, Yixing, right?! He keeps telling me how successful and how amazing you are at all this stuff. Or all the tutoring sessions you held for him. He’s super thankful,” she answered, a glint in her eyes. Bashful, the boy rubbed his nape, trying to figure out how to take the compliment. “Oh, I forgot! Do you guys want some tea?” she asked.

Jongdae was the only one who wanted lemon ginger tea, and so Taeyeon put down her book, running over to her kitchen, using a mint green tea kettle to brew some.

“Do you guys need any supplies though? I’m out of a lot of stock, but there’s still some Molly and some weed. Or, were you guys just trying to find out if this place was the place?” she asked from where she was standing. Grabbing a few mugs, the boys just listened to the kettle’s whistle as she poured.

It was Baekhyun who mustered up the courage to give the introduction to their bucket list. It was surprising because Baekhyun wasn’t the one to initiate things like this. He was shy around new people, but he always managed to light up a room like fireworks when he got comfortable. It was when he was around the right people that he could feel more at peace. But here he was, not stuttering, and not confused as to what to do.

“We actually have this senior year bucket list that we wanted to finish, and finding the apartment that was the drug dealer’s was the second one on our list. So, we’re not really interested in your drugs, but just finding out if you were a fairy or not,” he laughed at the end. He was easing his way back into comfort. The girl cocked her head back and laughed.

“You got the right place then, but as you can see, I’m very much a fairy,” she answered. Taking two mugs of tea, she passed one for Jongdae and one for herself. Taking a sip and a seat on the counter in the kitchen, she stared at the three of them with a smile on her face. “Is there anything else I can help you guys with?” she asked.

“We have a thing where we grant a wish for someone else too once we cross something off, so…” Baekhyun trailed off, rubbing the back of his head. Baekhyun was enchanted by her. Her rose like smile and glimmering eyes were things he was infatuated with. It was hard to look away from. It was just so euphoric to him. Fairies, Jongdae would later tell him were people he was obsessed with.

The girl didn’t say anything and started to sip on her own mug. “I’ll get back to you guys on that, promise. I think Jiyong and I have something in mind, but I don’t want to bet on it,” she finished.

“Well, we should be on our way. Jongdae has some work to do, and Baekhyun should really be doing something else,” Yixing explained, shoving the guys off their asses and pushing them out the door.

“Baekhyun? I’ll remember that name,” she answered while looking at Baekhyun. And like Perks of Being a Wallflower, Baekhyun thought this moment was infinite. Her grin gleamed in the fairy string lit room, her mocha eyes beamed in his direction, and he could feel a blush rise to his cheeks. The only crime he committed was falling too quickly for people that could never be his.

But she looked at him like she wanted to catch all the fireflies around him and capture them in a jar. In amazement, he continued to be pulled by Yixing and Jongdae. When he looked back at her, he saw her covering with her hands, and smiling as though she thought he was the best out of the three. When they shoved the Baekhyun out of the apartment, Yixing took one look at him and said, “You fell in love again.”

He had a point, sort of. Byun Baekhyun was somehow infatuated with the fairy drug dealer in 420. What was worse was that she had a significant other. The smirk on Jongdae’s face didn’t disappear though. As if on cue, Jongdae let out his hand, and Yixing grumbled a few things before placing a few dollar bills in his hands. When the two made a bet, he had no idea, but he knew that it always happened. Baekhyun was the type to fall in love with someone so quickly. While everyone about it, he just thought he was lucky that way. In a world where relationships were something so on screen, so confusing and conflicting, he wanted to appreciate anyone and everyone. Maybe, it wasn’t love. Maybe, it was just an appreciation for someone and how beautiful they really were.

The dopey look on Baekhyun’s face didn’t disappear though. Stuck in some kind of trance, the two boys dragged him back to his apartment. The thought remained. This wasn’t love. This wasn’t some kind of crush. Taeyeon was beautiful in his opinion. But it didn’t mean he wanted anything more than to stare at her.

“Hey, give Yixing his money back. I haven’t loved anyone, you dip,” Baekhyun said when he finally got out of his daze. Throwing looks at each other, they weren’t expecting this. Reaching for his money back, Baekhyun sighed before shutting the door to the bedroom. This wasn’t a crush. It was just that beautiful people made him flustered. What was he supposed to do? Something was creeping up in his stomach. Because he knew this wasn’t love, this wasn’t a feeling of feeling their skin against his own skin, no. It was just that they were beautiful. And he could appreciate beautiful people in peace.