Sweet Nightmare

Lifetime Partners

They've been together for so long already. Was it 30 years now?

 

Ji Wook sighs as he observed himself in the mirror. The grey hairs just keeps on multiplying these past few months, he was getting tired of bleaching it with black now and just left them to do their thing. He doesn't remember how they looked like anymore, but he always thanked his parents for bestowing him good genes that despite his few wrinkles, he still looked younger than his actual age. There was also a slight hunch to his broad shoulders already, a consequence of constantly sitting in court as a judge, reading documents and listening to prosecutors and lawyers all day. Yes, he was old already, but he still looked damn fine for his age.

 

"Jagiya, let's eat." Bong Hee calls out to him from outside the bathroom and he smiles as he opened his arms to beckon her to hug him. She laughs and approaches him. 

 

"Goodmorning." 

 

Bong Hee was as pretty as before in his eyes. As she grew older, she preferred to have her hair clipped or in a ponytail all the time which she explained was more convenient than anything. Their law firm has expanded and became well known throughout the years that they had to transfer their office somewhere bigger. His wife had also become pretty famous for being the kindhearted and empathizing defense attorney that she was, taking a lot of pro bono cases despite her already jam packed schedule.

 

"Don't forget that the kids will be coming home later. If you go drinking with Lawyer Ji again and return home drunk i swear i'll--" she hissed her breath and Ji Wook could only flinch while eating his breakfast.

 

All these years and he was still under her.

 

It wasn't an everyday occurrence but whenever he had a drink with Eun Hyuk, they would always end up going home late and drunk. They've been pretty close again after all.

 

"I won't forget. I promise!" he raises his right hand to vow and she smiles in satisfaction. He smiled awkwardly in response, hoping that he really won't forget later especially once he gets swamped with work.

 

.

 

Ji Wook furrowed his eyebrows in annoyance, wondering why his cases just keeps on adding up lately when a sudden phone call interrupts his musings.

 

"What?" he answers grumpily and takes off his glasses.

 

"Oohh...tough day again huh? It's only...what? 4PM?" Eun Hyuk laughed and he was tempted to just hang up the call so he could finish his work.


"Wook-ah, it's because you're a good judge that they keep giving you lots of cases. Take it as a compliment. You know what? Why don't we just drink the night away later? It's been a while."

 

He frowns but thinks that it's a good idea right about now and agrees. Something was nagging him at the back of his mind but it was probably the murder case he was handling a while ago that made his head ache.

 

.

 

Ji Wook staggered as he drunkenly walked towards the house and opened the door with difficulty. How was time suddenly so fast? The sudden brightness of the lights made him cringe and he had to blink furiously to properly see the three figures that were standing in front of him with their arms crossed.

 

He sees his two children, taller than their mother, look at him with disappointment as they tsked. He smiled sheepishly at them until he saw his wife's outraged face while she taps a baseball bat at the floor; the sound giving him goosebumps.

 

Oh no.

 

He shook his head vigorously as his mind slowly sobered up when he saw how his wife and children were glowering at him. Oh yeah, they were supposed to go out and have a family dinner tonight!

 

"Why weren't you answering my calls?" Bong Hee took a step, her voice murderous.

 

"U-Uhm....it was in my bag and it was too noisy. I didn't hear it ringing."

 

"Didn't you promise that you won't forget our plans for tonight?" she took another step and he backed away slowly.

 

"uhm yeah...I did.......I did, didn't I?" he awkwardly laughed as he raised his arms in surrender. The sound of the baseball bat being dragged in the floor was so eerie.

 

"Do you know how rare it is for the kids to come home and you still went drinking?!?" her voice raised an octave at the end of her question and he closed his eyes in fear.

 

"I'm so sorry!!!"

 

"YOU EVEN REFUSED TO GIVE ME MY MORNING KISS!!!"

 

Huh?

 

Ji Wook's eyes flew open in sudden confusion as to why she randomly mentioned that but the thought quickly vanished when he saw her swinging the bat high up in the air and he turned to avoid the hit. The next thing he felt was a metal making contact with the back of his head, then everything went black and he felt himself falling.

 

.

 

"I'M SORRY!!" Ji Wook yelled as he woke up from his slumber. It took a while for his vision to focus and he took a deep breath as he wiped away the bullets of sweat raining from his forehead. He rubs the back of his head in reflex and he swears that he could feel some stinging in there.

 

He quickly stood up, went towards the mirror in their bedroom and widens his eyes.

 

He didn't have grey hairs. His face was as smooth as ever and even though there was that slight dark undereyes, he didn't see any of the wrinkles he so vividly saw a while ago. He was youthful again and it confused his sleepy mind.

 

He quickly ran downstairs and sees the desks of the members of their firm. Didn't they transfer into a bigger office and this was already their house?

 

"Oh! Jagiya, you're already awake. You must've been really tired to sleep in late." Bong Hee's voice startled him and he sees her placing fried eggs on a plate. She was sporting her messy hair as usual and she looked youthful too.

 

Ahh......it was all a dream....no, a nightmare!

 

He ran towards her, cupped the both of her cheeks and drew her in for a long peck in the lips. She blinked in surprise and threw him a questioning look. "Wae wae wae?? did you have a nightmare again?"

 

He kisses her again over and over, a peck in the forehead, a peck in the nose, in her eyes, in her cheeks and then to her lips again.

 

"Mmphh?!?" 

 

When he finally let her go, he takes a shaky breath and a glass of water. 

 

"As an apology for the morning kiss i didn't give you long ago. I'm really sorry for that time Bong Hee, seriously." he gives her a desperate look as he asked for forgiveness and she couldn't help but laugh at his craziness so early in the morning.

 

She his cheek and smiles sweetly with a glint in her eyes, the gesture not really offering him comfort.

 

"Did you think that I would seriously hit you in the head sometime in the future?"

 

Ji Wook grew rigid under her touch and nearly dropped the glass, his lips turning into a small pleading frown as he slowly nodded.

 

She giggles and leans forward, her breath fanning over his lips in the close proximity. The smirk she was now wearing made him shudder.

 

"We'll see."