Chapter 4

Second Chances

Daniel's closest friends weren't the same year as you, only Seongwoo was. Joon Jisung was a senior and will graduate at the end of this year. Kim Jaehwan, Park Jihoon and Park Woojin were one or two years younger than you. Because of that Daniel only met them at lunch and after classes. He only had Seongwoo as his classmate.

Ongniel going erveywhere together (Cr: 950825_com)

Seongwoo didn't come to classes today so when you entered to the classroom you were surprised to find Daniel sitting alone in the first row next to the chair where you usually sit.

He waved at you when he saw you and patted the chair next to him asking you to sit with him. You approached him with insecure steps. Was it okay to sit next to Daniel, the most popular guy of the class? Everyone looked at you and soon the room mas inmersed in whispers. You wanted to dissapear but somehow you managed to act uninterested.

There was homework... did you do it?” You asked him.

The teacher gave you an assignment last week. You had to create a fold in which you had to analyze an industry of your choice. Yours was about eco friendly products like recycled objects.

He showed you a clean and neat blue folder with a full report about the industry of entertainment especifically at modern dance. You were impressed. His work was pretty good. You wondered why he chose that industry but didn't ask.

You thought I didn't do the assignament? No, actually you think I'm the type of person that doesn't do well at school,” he accused you.

I didn't say anything.”

Your look says it all. I might be handsome but I'm really smart.” He laughed out of embarrasment at his own statement. “You don't have a good opinion about me, do you?” His face suddenly so serious. “That's why you hate me, you think I'm a jerk.”

Wow, wow, wow. Was it too obvious?

I'll make you change your mind.”

Why would you do that?” Why would he do that? To gain a new fan? He can't stand that someone doesn't like him?

Because I like you.”

As a friend, I mean.”

Oh, I see.” WHAT?

The teacher came in and you couldn't say anything else and also didn't notice that Daniel's ear turned color red.

It was the first time you didn't listen to what the teacher said. You didn't remember a word from the one hour and ten minutes classes. All you could think was how you began to feel things for that boy, not bad feelings but good ones. Only few days ago you hated him. How could you change your mind so easily? Mina was right, the more you hated him the more you liked him. Did that make sense?

Today classes finished before lunch so you usually had lunch at home or go to some place to eat with Mina. However, your best friend was busy with tons of papers from last week that she didn't read.

You turned towards Daniel for the first time after he told he liked you (as a friend) just to find him scratching the bridge of his nose and a shy smile.

Uh, Sohye, there's a new cafeteria near the college. I heard good reviews from my friends. I wanted to go with Ong hyung but he's sick. Would you like to come with me?”

You liked how he called Seongwoo as Ong hyung. Wait, stop it, Sohye. You were supposed to find more things to hate on him but you keep finding every little action of him cute. You sighed and he took it the wrong way.

It's okay if you don't want to.”

No, no. I'll go with you.”

Really?” He smiled widely. It was so easy to make him happy.

You ignored the whispers from the girls as you walked outside the classroom with Daniel.

 

**

It was a small but cozy cafeteria that opened one block away from college. There were fresh flowers and plants everywhere so the smell of them mixed with the smell of coffee was incredible.

Daniel ordered a cinnamon bun and iced coffee. You ordered a strawberry cake and iced tea. Even though the weather was cold, both of you ordered cold drinks. There weren't many customers so the food came out fast. Everything looked tasty. And you were hungry.

It wasn't until you began to eat that you realized you were having some sweets and drinks with Daniel sitting right in front of you. How did that happen?

You noticed how relaxed and introverted he was, not like the usual Kang Daniel you see at the university, the popular and seeker attention boy. He wasn't arrogant and didn't seem to like to be the center of the attention. And he was smart. You learned he was a good student, always up to date with his readings. The praises from your teachers weren't just because he was popular. Then you thought how unfair life was. He was handsome and smart. And you, well, you also were smart. A smart potato.

You are not from Seoul, aren't you?” He had a strong satoori when he spoke, especially when he was nervous.

I'm from Busan.”

Oh, I see.” He was cute when he spoke in satoori though.

Then Daniel did all the talk, you only answered some questions. He talked mostly about college and his friends, how he met them and what they do when they hang out. Just easy to talk subjects. You didn't talk about anything else since you weren't close enough and was too shy to talk about more personal things. Also, you didn't want it to look like a date. You could call it a after classes meeting, but not a date. However, you liked how easy was to talk with him.

After going to the restroom to wash your hands, you asked the waiter for the bill.

Your boyfriend already paid.”

Boyfriend?

None of you said anything. You wanted to deny it but you were too shy to say anything. You were surprised Daniel also didn't say anything. He just had a smile on his face. Seriously?

When the waiter left an awkward silence followed by. You broke the silence first and thanked Daniel for paying even though he didn't have to. You added a new quality to your new and increasing list of good things about Daniel: he was a gentleman.

You walked to your house with Daniel. Before you knew it you had to say goodbye. It was the shortest twenty minutes walk you ever had. You felt a little sad when you said goodbye to him.

When you turned to the left and Daniel dissapeared from your view, you placed a hand on the left side of your chest where you heart was. It was beating fast. What is this? It's you falling for Kang Daniel, would have said your best friend, Kim Mina.

Oh, shut up, Mina.