Chapter 16

Second Chances

You didn't realize it was already dark and the campus was empty. You only saw the security guard at the entrance and a lonely cat wandering on the streets. How long have you been sitting on the bench?

You wondered if Daniel and Minhyun were still together or if they effectively met and had a conversation. You were curious at what they would talk about.

You went home first. You realized you forgot to have lunch and were starving. You made a quick and simple dinner and ate it at the living room watching the TV. You weren't really watching the TV, you just wanted some noise to fill the walls of the house. The house felt empty and you realized you had been with Daniel so much time you missed him when he was not around.

It was late so you weren't sure whether to call him or not. You stared at your phone for a long time. You finally decided to let him call you first. However, he never called or texted you. You were so tired you felt asleep on the couch waiting for Daniel's call.

 

**

For the second time in your almost three years of college, you were late for classes. You saw Ong running on the hallway holding his backpack as if he was running away to save his life.

I guess we're both late,” you chuckled.

He nodded, unable to speak.

Ong went to his usual seat, next to Daniel but there was no Daniel. You looked around the classroom but he was nowhere to be seen and then you looked at Ong and he shrugged. He knew what you were thinking.

You felt uneasy. You haven't talked to him since you left him with Minhyun. Maybe it was just your imagination but you couldn't stop thinking that something happened between him and Minhyun.

During the break, Ong approached you and told you to not worry.

His mom came to Seoul and will be back to Busan tomorrow so he wanted to spend the day with her.”

Oh, really? I'm glad to hear that.”

So he was alright. That meant nothing bad happened, he was just spending some quality time with his mom. But why he didn't tell you about it? You didn't want to be a controlling girlfriend so you let it be.

Mina also missed classes today. Why it felt like all your closest friends abandoned you today? What a day! What could be worst? The answer came faster than you expected.

Your phone rang and you immediately thought it was Daniel but it was an unknown number. You rarely answer unknown numbers but this could be Daniel.

Hello... Hello?”

You heard someone clearing its throat. “Sohye.”

You didn't need to see his face to know who he was. Just by hearing his voice you knew it was Minhyun. How he got your number? You wanted to hang up the call but you just stayed still.

There's something I'd like to tell you. Can we meet after classes?”

Was he in the campus? You unconsciously looked around you.

I... I don't think it's a good idea.”

It will be the last time we see each other.” There was a short pause. “Please.”

You didn't know why but you believed in his words. What was wrong with you?

I don't know why you want to see me. Okay. I'll text you the place,” you said resigned.

Thank you.” He hung up.

What was going on? Why he wanted to see you? What could he want to tell you? However, you decided to take this as an opportunity to close the chapter of your once a beautiful relationship with Minhyun. He said it will be last time you would see him. You didn't want the past keep following you, and forget everything about him, especially when your present and future will be with Daniel.

 

**

You chose a café a bit far from college. The least you wanted was your classmate see you with your ex-boyfriend hanging out in a café. You went there by walking since you were so nervous and walking helped you relieve some stress. How you wished Daniel were with you now.

Minhyun was already there when you entered the place. He was always so punctual. He stood up and greeted you.

You approached him with insecure steps. It was so awkward. Minhyun was right in front of you. He was as handsome as you remembered. He was tall, had milky skin, a sharp nose and monolid eyes. He was calm but smiley. It was hard to imagine him as a bad person. It felt like a stranger was standing in front of you, someone you didn't know, but not Minhyun.

He asked you if you wanted to eat something. You ordered an iced americano. He ordered the same.

While you waited for the drinks to come, an uncomfortable silence filled the space between you and Minhyun. None of you said anything until you broke the silence.

What do you want to tell me?”

I came to say goodbye.”

He's leaving again?

He bit his lips and looked at everywhere but you. “And to apologize.”

Oh. That was unexpected.

What is done is already done,” you said colder than you expected.

No. What I did was terrible. You didn't deserve it.”

You wondered if he was being sincere. Why he wanted to apologize after a year?

The thing is you already hurt me. Nothing can change the past.”

I know. I know you will never forgive me but I want to explain myself. Just give me the chance to do it.”

You believed in second chances. Everyone deserved it; Daniel; Minhyun. You would never be able to forgive him but at least you could hear what he had to say.

Your drinks came and Minhyun thanked the waitress and then smiled at her. He was so sweet. It felt like the early days when you dated. You weren't sure anymore about his personality. He used to be so protective and sweet with you but from one day to another he became distant. He said things like he was ashamed of you, especially in front of his friends who always laughed at you and asked him why he would date you, and that it made him feel embarrassed.

Maybe he had some kind of disorder? How could he be so sweet and shy but at the same time so cruel and cold with you? Was this person that was sitting in front of you the same person that shamed you in front of your classmates and friends? You couldn't believe it. Maybe he had a twin? An evil twin.

Minhyun took his time. He quietly drank his iced americano, but you could feel his eyes on you. You tried to avoid his gaze by drinking your own americano and pretended to be interested in the decorations of the café. However, at some point your eyes met and he, efectively, was staring at you. Then you noticed he had a wound around his lips. He tried to cover it with some makeup but it was still noticeable. All you could thing was that he had a fight with Daniel. That made you even worried.

How did you get my phone number?”

I asked Daniel.”

You and Daniel...”

He nodded. “He already knows everything. I told him everything,” he confessed.

Oh, god. Was that the reason you haven't been able to reach him?

Why would you do that?” You asked, clearly a little annoyed.

That's the reason I came here. I came to apologize and to say goodbye. I'll move to Japan tomorrow. I have relatives in Japan and I'll finish my studies there.”

Are you running away?”

He looked down at his drink and mumbled, “Kind of.”

You took a deep breath and took all the courage you had and asked him the question that had always bothering you. “Did you ever love me?”

Your heart began to beat so fast it hurt as you waited for his answer. You didn't know what to expect at all.

Yes, I did and I still do.”

 

_

okay, okay, i know this chapter is a mess but i'll explain everything in the next one!! Next one is the final chapter :)