Chapter 2

Second Chances

Kang Daniel, the boy you hated the most, was sitting in front of you and begging you to stay. WTF was happening? Maybe you fell asleep when you were reading the papers and was dreaming? They weren't boring papers though. You tried to pinch your skin of your hand and ouch it hurt. You weren't dreaming.

"Please, don't leave."

"I..."

"There are some girls following me. They will stop if they see me with someone they don't know."

Oh, you see. He was just using you. Yes, I am someone that no ones know, you thought sarcastically.

You wanted to leave but seeing those worried eyes made you doubt for an unknown reason. Maybe was that mole under his eye? Or his monolid eyes? Or... those pouted lips?

You might fall for him, said Kim Mina. You shook your head. Yes, he was handsome, especially when he was right in front of you so you had a up close view of his handsome face but hey! beauty isn't everything! He might be handsome but he was a jerk.

"I'm sorry but I have classes now. I can't stay." You grabbed your bagpack and left as fast as possible.

What? He's using you so he can scape from some girls? Pffft, forget it!

 

**

Classes finally finished. You missed the bus and decided to walk instead of waiting for the next bus. Your house was twenty minutes by walking from college anyway. It was the beginning of winter. The air wasn't cold enough but you regretted not bringing a scarf with you.

"Hey, Kang," someone shouted behind you. "Kang!"

You looked back and saw Kang Daniel. Why is this boy everywhere!

"Kang Sohye," he said when he reached you.

"You know my name?" You said before you realized it and blushed.

"We share the same last name." Oh, you didn't think about that before. "And we are classmates, why wouldn't I know you?"

Because you are popular and I am not, you thought.

"Going home?"

You nodded. You wondered why he was so friendly with you. He never talked to you before. It has been three months of classes and he never ever said a word to you. Neither you. 

"Hey, about today at the library..." He scratched the bridge of his nose. "I'm sorry if I inconvenienced you."

You noticed he ended every sentence with a cute laugh. Wait, did you just say cute?

You shrugged. "I guess you can't control what people do."

"It's a little annoying sometimes, you know?" You was a little taken aback with his sudden confession like you weren't even friends why would he tell you that? "Anyway, see you tomorrow?"

You nodded and gave a him a smile or you thought so. You were still shocked that Daniel talked to you.

 

**

"KD what?!" Kim Mina exclaimed through the phone.

"There were some girls following him to the library and they were squealing over him making it impossible to study. Can you believe that? He's not even a celebrity, why would you follow him? I felt sorry for him to be honest."

"Wow, that's the nicest thing you have ever said about him."

"I know, right?"

"He's not as bad as you think."

What would you know? You don't even know him well, you wanted to say.
 

**

Kang Daniel was already in the classroom with his inseparable friend Ong Seongwoo. They were chatting happily. He didn't even notice you when you entered the room and sat on the first row (because you were short of sight). You snorted, of course he wouldn't notice you. He was back to his real self in his natural habitat.

He also didn't notice you in the next class. He was always busy talking with Seongwoo and other girls. You didn't feel pity for him anymore. He sure enjoyed the attention he received from his friends. Even the teacher liked to praise him. I bet he doesn't even study, you thought.

At lunch you reunited with Mina in the main cafeteria. Since you finished classes a little earlier than others, the cafeteria was not full yet so you could grab an empty table for two. Mina joined you fifteen minutes later.

"Gosh, I'm dying with marketing classes. They give us so much papers to read every week," she said exhausted.

You gave her an extra piece of her favorite meat to her from your tray. "Fighting!"

Kang Daniel and his squad came in and he sat alone two tables away from you while his friends went to buy food first. He was facing you. He saw you and caught you looking at him. He gave you a goofy smile. You weren't sure if he smiled at you or not so you gave him a small nod.

Kang Daniel and his squad (not like they wear uniform at college but yeah lol / Cr picture: PeachPower_1210)

"Why are you blushing?" Mina asked.

"Nothing," you said too fast. "The food's too hot."

Mina narrowed her eyes and followed your gaze. "KD?"

"He just... smiled at me." You tried to hide from Daniel using Mina's body. "I'm not sure if he smiled at me or not though. He didn't notice me nor say hi during classes, why would he smile at me now?"

"Maybe because he's alone now?"

"Let's just eat," you hurried her.
 

**

You heard a familiar sound behind you. It was the wheels of a skateboard skimming the cement path. Only one person came to your mind. The brown caramel haired boy passed by riding his skateboard. You thought he just ignored you (again) just when he stopped few meters ahead of you and waited for you to approach him.

"Annyeong," he said and then smiled showing his bunny teeth. "You live near hear?" The way he talked was like a big baby. You couldn't help it but notice how tall he was. Or maybe you were too small. He also had broad shoulders but his face... was he really an universtity student?

You nodded. For some reason, everytime you were with him, you lost your ability to speak. 

"I walk this path everyday but it's my first time seeing you."

"I usually take the bus," you said followed by an awkward silence.

"Ah, I see," he said and as usual ended it with a laugh. "You don't take the bus anymore?" He sure was talkative.

"I lost the bus. But I guess it's nice to take a walk."

"It is! But I like to ride the skateboard better. Do you know how to ride it?"

You shook your head. I would love to learn, was that what he expected you to say?

Daniel walked with you all the way to your house. It was so weird that it was painful to think about it. It was the longest twenty minutes walk. 

"Umh, I'm going this way," you pointed the left side of the road after fifteen minutes of walk.

"I live one block from here," he said pointing towards his house.

He lived so close to you!! Why the world hated you so much?

"See you tomorrow!" He said as usual.
 

___

There will be more Daniel x Sohye moments soon i promise!