The Bonsang

If Fate Allows

 

Breathe JiHyun... 

 

In the dim light backstage, Nam Ji Hyun looked unseeingly at the small piece of paper clutched in her hands. It had words. Things she was supposed to say on stage, though she could not remember now what she wrote. Just a few moments earlier they had been ushered here to wait while the stagehands ran around preparing mics and podiums during a commercial break. The coordinator had reminded them about where they were supposed to stand and the sequence of events for announcing the Bonsang winners of the night. JiHyun had smiled and nodded politely while silently praying she would not forget the details.

 

You did good, JiHyun. You held it together...

She whispered assurances in her mind to try remain calm. Right behind her, she could feel his presence. The coordinator had stepped away to take care of one last minute detail and now they were completely alone, standing in the hush this side of  the curtains. The only other person was a stagehand standing a distance aways, staring intently at the stage while clutching his earpiece.  They had 5 minutes to call time and the silence between them was amost palpable.

 

"I'm sorry..."

A deep voice whispered quietly next to her. God help her, she couldn't help it. That voice could still send shivers down her spine despite the confusion and hurt of the past hour. 

Slowly she turned, looking at him, steeling herself to ignore the rush of emotions she was feeling. 

"Nam Ji Hyun-shi. I'm really sorry"

She looked at him silently. Chang Wook debated telling her the truth. That she had been too beautiful, that she overwhelmed him. That he was an idiot.

"I'm an idiot"

She looked at him, but he could tell she was not buying it. So he decided to go for another truth.

"I was nervous. I'm a grown a*s man but the thought of making a fool of myself in front of that crowd terrifies me. No really, I'm also scared of heights."

At this, she laughs a little and the relief he feels at seeing a smile light up her face almost blinds him.

"Could we, by any chance, start over?"

His eyes look beseechingly at her. She in turn looks at him searchingly. The moment stretches.  

Finally, she holds out her hands and says softly:

"I'm Nam Ji Hyun. It's a pleasure to meet you."

His fingers reach out for hers and it takes all his self-will and sanity not to pull her into his arms in relief. Instead, he gently holds onto her hand marveling over how small it feels within his large palms.

"Hello, Nam Ji Hyun-shi. I'm Ji Chang Wook. Nice to meet you."

Time slows down to the merest ticking of seconds as they gaze at each other.

A voice interrupts them then, breaking the moment. It's the coordinator, hurrying back to give them the announcement cards and usher them to the stage. Chang Wook realizes with surprise he still has a hold of her hand. He hesitates for a second, not quite ready to let go, and decides to tuck it into the nook of his arm. Then, switching on his trademark smile for the cameras, he e scorts her to the stage, feeling every inch of her hand resting on his jacket. It burned a warmth straight through to the loneliness inside.

 

 

hr

 

Seoul Music Award

 

Author's Note: Aren't they both extra glowy here?