The Recruit

If Fate Allows

Author's note: Just wanted to put a trigger warning here. Minor violence and lots of angst in this chapter. Also, if you have a soft spot for Seo In Guk you might not want to read it (mianhe Seo In Guk-shi)

----

 

March 31, 2017
Nonsan Army Training Center, South Korea


 

The sound of dripping water was the first thing he noticed as he slowly roused to consciousness. At first, Seo In Guk, couldn’t quite place where he was. All he was aware of was the pain creeping up his leg and the dampness seeping through his clothes.

Ah, that’s right. That’s where he was. Republic of Korea basic training camp, also known as Hell on Earth. More specifically the basement bathroom in Block E of the large compound. He was here to do his mandatory military duty. How he got here, on this floor, was a longer story.

He thought bitterly of the taunting faces and vicious sneers of the senior recruits earlier. As a quote-unquote “celebrity” he found he was a target for the worse tasks and the meanest insults. A few of the seniors had took it upon themselves to privately teach him humility and “hoobae-ness”. But he hadn’t grown up on the tough streets of Ulsan by being a weak a*s.

A few of his friends had warned him before he enlisted that people would take his attitude as a challenge. But, he’d been raring for a fight when he joined and he wasn’t going to back down now.

The senior recruits had been smart enough not to physically beat him. The army higher-ups frowned upon that sort of thing. So instead, they had pounced on the first weakness of his they perceived.

Like most of the other new trainees, Seo In Guk had been tasked with scrubbing the bathroom and toilets with a toothbrush. In Guk, however, had been having trouble with his ankle. It had been bothering him before he’d enlisted and had only gotten worse. Hunching over or kneeling for hours at a time while scrubbing the floor had been excruciating and he’d been much slower than the others. The sprints in the morning, daily marches and endless standing had only worsened the pain.

And so, that morning, he rested for just a minute in between scrubbing the showers and leaned against the wall. Unfortunately for him, the senior recruit on supervisory duty caught him in the act and what commenced was the infamous cascading yelling usually reserved for the most useless of recruits.

It would go like this. The most senior recruit would yell at the whole group. The next ranking recruit would then yell at his subordinates and this would go on down the ranks until the offending recruit had been called worthless scum by the whole group. Sometimes this took hours.

This wasn’t the first time though that he had been subjected to the yelling; and so, some of the meaner recruits had took it upon themselves to hold him down, pinning him at the very spot his ankle hurt. At some point he had passed out from the pain.

Wincing at the memory, In Guk tested his ankle gently, wondering if he could pull himself up. He didn’t know if anyone noticed he was missing. He didn’t even know what time it was. There were no windows here.

Ah, f*k it. He slumps back against the wall. Might as well enjoy the pleasure of being able to sit.

If someone had told him he’d be almost broken after only three days at basic training he would have laughed. After all he was an Ulsan boy. He’d grown up working the fish markets and hauling crates. He’d spent time homeless in Seoul. He was not some softly reared city boy. But even so, he had to admit, at this moment, he would do anything to go back home.

He thinks with regret all the little things he had taken for granted. Hot water, drinking with his buddies, being able to play soccer whenever he wanted. Meat that didn’t look like it had come out of a tube.

He thinks with even bigger regret his coldness to his friends the last few days before he enlisted. It was true, he had been stressed and overworked. He’d spent his last remaining time before enlisting frantically recording and tying up loose ends.

And he admits, he had felt a little bitter towards Chang Wook. Ji Chang Wook. Golden Boy. It was unfair of him, but he couldn’t help comparing his situation to Chang Wook’s. Everything his friend touched seemed to turn to gold. But he, he felt like he was constantly struggling. He often got overlooked as an actor; still had to go begging around for projects. Even his music never hit it big.

And now, Chang Wook was going to get the girl.

 

hr

 

A few days before enlistment, Chang Wook had messaged him, b with excitement. He’d invited In Guk out for a late night soccer game; but In Guk demurred, using his sore ankle as an excuse.

[EmperorJi87] : r u afraid of some a*s-kicking?

Chang Wook had taunted playfully.

[SeoSoSo9999] : Nah, just embarrassed for u if I beat u with my one good leg

In Guk had fired back.

Chang Wook had proceeded to invite himself over instead to In Guk’s house and there had been no good way to turn him down. So there they had sat, sipping on their beers while battling together on Diablo 3.

In all honesty, Seo In Guk had missed his friend. It felt good to just hang out playing video games. He knew this would be one of the memories he’d treasure in the long, deprived months ahead. Yet, he noted with sadness, there was a distance between them; one he himself had put there.

Chang Wook also seemed to sense the same tension. He hadn’t said much, only occasionally giving his friend an intent look. Once in a while he slipped in some good-natured digs about In Guk’s choice of avatar (female, generously endowed) and threatened to whoop his a*s (virtually). 

But finally, as the hour grew late, Chang Wook had turned to him, a slight frown on his face.

"Gukkie, buddy. What's going on?"

"Nothing bro," In Guk sighs. "Just stressed, I guess."

He rubs his newly shorn hair. "I mean, I had to cut all of this gloriousness off. But I hear the girls dig this even more. Really manly, you know" he winks, trying to make a joke out of it.

This does not fool Chang Wook.

"We've been close buddies for three years now. So you know you can tell me anything. Like, if you need help with family, or anything at all while you're gone. Or, a girl?"

Chang Wook looks closely at his friend. In Guk's outburst the other night had not been forgotten even though they had all had a little too much to drink. Seo In Guk had hoped they'd pretend it had never happened. But evidently his wish was not his to command.

"Man, I was drunk. I don't even know what the hell I was saying" He glances away and refuses to elaborate further.

Seeing that mullish look Chang Wook sighs.

"Well, if it makes you feel better, your words that night... they really helped me." He looks at his friend, sincere gratitude on his face.

"I did it In Guk. Like you said  I should. I did something. I called her. Well, I didn't technically call her. But we met up and... she's amazing. In person, she's more amazing than I had ever imagined"

He grins hugely with happiness. Seeing this, In Guk smiles at his friend too, ignoring the twinge of pain inside.

"In Guk," his friend continues. "I hope, it can work out for you too. With that girl who is on your mind"

All In Guk could do was smile bitterly.... 

 

 

hr

 

The loud bang of a door snaps In Guk out of the haze of memories and pain. Boots come closer towards him. As if through a dream, he feels strong hands grab him and pull him upright. He winces at the pain this causes in his ankle, almost collapsing again. Orders are shouted and he feels himself half-carried, half-dragged away.

Before long, the pain drowns him back into sweet, sweet nothingness.

 

 

 

-----

 

 

 

Author's note:

First of all, I'm so so so sorry Seo In Guk for subjecting you to such awful things in this story (mianhe)

The details about basic training and the military I mostly took from this very informative blog post:

https://eugenenho.wordpress.com/

 

There are also some interesting readings here:

http://askakorean.blogspot.com/2009/03/military-service-series-part-i.html

https://www.stripes.com/news/soldier-training-is-one-of-most-grueling-parts-of-the-rok-army-1.36655#.WX_oLdMrJZ0

http://www.businessinsider.com/what-its-like-south-korea-mandatory-military-service-2017-5

 

Be warned though. It doesn't make for fun reading. Poor brave soldiers