The Waiting Room

If Fate Allows

 

 

What the HELL had just happened?

 

When Ji Chang Wook had looked up, all he had seen as first was her, an image out of his fantasy. She had been a vision in white, and he could swear she had glowed like a proverbial angel. God, was she beautiful. All he could do was stare like an idiot. Then his brain had finally kicked in and the hurt look on her face had driven him into a panic.

Had she said something? 

His mind had frozen and the only thing he could think to do was to escape.  He had made a complete f*king idiot of himself. 

Breathing deeply of the night air, Chang Wook fumbled around for his lighter then realized he hadn't tucked one into his tuxedo. Ah, damn it all, he could use a smoke right now. He was currently outside, having found a side door for the stadium in his rush to get away. However, he couldn't hide here all night like a moron. And there was a lady to whom he owed an apology.

He  glanced down at his watch and stepped back into the maze of corridors. The stage coordinator would be back soon and he had to make things right. He had no idea what he was going to say; but that hurt look on her face would haunt him forever if he didn't. He hadn't known she was going to be here tonight. Had not been prepared for the sight of her. Hairstylist Noona had not mentioned anything, and she usually was the source of all Nam Ji Hyun news. His manager himselfwasn't one for such details. 

Ji Chang Wook had been late tonight thanks to Seoul rush hour traffic. And so, instead of going to the salon, his coordi/stylist had frantically put him together on the way over in the van. As soon as they arrived, he'd been rushed straight backstage. But his stylist had forgotten something in the van and went back to get it; while his manager had left not long after, saying he had an urgent phone call. And by urgent he probably meant his longtime girlfriend.

So Ji Chang Wook had found himself quite alone; which did not happen too often. It seemed too quiet, this alone thing. So he switched on the TV and stretch out on the couch. 

Not long after, he heard the click of heels approaching and a soft voice speaking to him. Assuming it was one of the other celebrities presenting tonight, he had gotten up, ready to exchange pleasantries. And then... then he'd been hit by a truck. Metaphorically. If he had been hit by a truck literally it might have been better for him.

It was her and she was dazzling. An angel. Literally. Metaphorically? Sh*t, he couldn't think. All he saw were those gorgeous legs, a shimmery white dress filled out beautifully, leading up to bare, bare shoulders. He had to hold himself still from reaching out to touch them. And her smile.

Wait. There was no smile. It was at that second Chang Wook realized he was royally f*ked.

And he did what any other brave young man would do. He ran.

Time to man up, Chang Wook. Face the music. Pay the piper. Grow a pair.

He growled at Inner Chang Wook, telling him to shut it.

By some miracle he managed to navigate back through the maze of corridors until he found the door labeled "Award Presenters". 

He took a deep breath and stepped in.

The first thing he noticed was that she was still there, sitting on the sofa. He let go of the breath, forgetting he had been holding it in, feeling relieved that she had not left.

He stepped forward, not knowing what to say, only that he had to make things right when he noticed they were not alone. Her mother was there; he recognized her from the many visits to the salon. Actually, there was a whole crowd of people in glamorous outfits milling around. Where they had appeared from, he had no idea. A sunbae nearby nodded at him and he bowed politely even while his eyes kept searching her out. If someone tried to stop and chat with him now he'd probably make an even larger fool of himself.

"There you are." 

Rough hands grab at him. It was his manager who was not a big believer of pleasantries.

"I don't know where you disappeared to you idiot, but they've been searching for you so you can be paired up with your partner. You need to come up with some kind of dialogue for on stage, you know."

Manager Bang proceeds to drag him to the back of the room until suddenly he was standing right in front of her.

"Nam Ji Hyun-shi, this is Ji Chang Wook. Chang Wook, this is Nam Ji Hyun-shi. Ji Hyun-shi, sorry to have made you wait. I apologize for this idiot. Chang Wook you have 15 minutes before they call you."

He could swear there was a glint of mischief in Manager Bang's eyes; but, because he rushed away so quickly, it was hard to tell.

Chang Wook bowed down politely to the lady standing in front of him and to her mother who was still seated. He searched her eyes looking for words to say. How was he going to explain his rudeness earlier?

However, before any words could come to mind, she spoke first.

"Ji Chang Wook sunbae-nim, it's nice to meet you. I'm Nam Ji Hyun"

Her face was calm, as if the incident 15 minutes earlier had not happened. In confusion, he automatically exchanged pleasantries and before he knew it they were sitting down discussing their script for later tonight. Or at least she was. His brain was not making sense.

What the hell had just happened?