The Best-Laid Plans

If Fate Allows

May 19, 2017
Seoul, South Korea

 

Nam Ji Hyun had woken up with a smile on her face. For a second she could not remember what had her feeling so delighted; but then the memory of last night’s text came back to her.

She was going to go out with Chang Wookie-Oppa tonight (!!!).  She hugged her pillow with glee and rolled around on her bed, trying not to make too much noise or else Omma would think she had gone crazy.

It’s not a date, JiHyun. She reminds herself sternly. They were just going to go get a meal together, as one does with a co-worker. Perhaps even he had invited  a group of them to go. But the fact that Chang Wook had texted her and asked still made her heart squeal with delight.

She grabbed her phone again to make sure it was real. Yup. There it was. And Oppa had wished her good night.

She kissed her phone quickly then hopped up to get ready.

Usually her mornings would include just a quick shower and then she would throw on some comfy clothes before heading to the set. After all she would be doing wardrobe and makeup there anyway.

However, this morning she takes particular care at picking out clothes and even puts on a dash of makeup. She decides on denim shorts and a nice summery blouse. Comfy, pretty but not screaming “I’m going on a date!”, right?

Ok, maybe not. She tries on a few other outfits then glancing at the clock; changes back into the blouse in a panic and hurries out.

She barely has time to grab toast and juice before the doorbell rings and her manager arrives to take her to the filming studio an hour away.

As soon as they are on their way, she turns to her manager.

“Jeon Jung,” she starts.

He’s the same age as her which had made it very easy for them to get along. Even so, he sometimes took his role as her manager too seriously so she was going to be careful with how she worded this.

“I’m going to go out with co-workers later tonight. So, if you want to head out early, you can.”

“Oh, I can wait, JiHyun”

“Ah, no… it’s ok. I don’t want you to have to stay all day long. I’ll catch a ride home later with my friend”

Sometimes Manager Jeon Jung was worse than her Omma when it came to fussing over her.

Her manager is silent for a while, probably thinking about their schedule. But finally he nods and asks her to just text him later when she’s back. AND to not forget she had another early schedule tomorrow.

“Arasso, Manager-nim. And I will not drink too much either. In case you were about to say that.”

She smiles cheekily and her manager just rolls his eyes.

 

hr

 

Later that day
SBS Studios
Ilsan, South Korea

 

The set is buzzing with activity around him as the crew preps for another scene between No Ji Wook and Eun Bong Hee. Chang Wook is trying very, very hard to focus on his script. His eyes however keep looking up, unintentionally drawn to a pair of gorgeous legs. He couldn’t help it. He’s positioned on an armchair ready for his cue and she is standing right in front of him in her shorts and flouncy blouse. She's busy talking with the director as they discuss angles for the next scene.

His eyes are at just the right level, and he marvels with appreciation that for someone who barely reaches past his shoulder, she has the longest, prettiest legs he’s ever seen.

He glances back down and pretends to fix his shirt before anyone notices he had been staring. Then he fiddles with his watch, his hands unable to stay still.

To be honest, he was feeling a little tense; anxious about the dinner later tonight and also thinking about the hotly-charged scene that they would be filming next.

The script merely stated that No Ji Wook had fallen asleep on the chair and Eun Bong Hee would try to undo his tie to help him feel more comfortable. He would then wake up and stare at her longingly.

Longingly. That’s what the writer wrote.

With his current mood he’d be staring at her like a starving wolf.

He had tried playing around and joking with her earlier to help relieve some of this nervous tension. But it wasn’t working.

To make things worse, JiHyun had also been practicing undoing his tie. She had not had any experience with one before so she had been practicing on his over and over while they were waiting, not realizing how her closeness was affecting him. Watching her pull his tie loose with that look of concentration on her face had turned him into an agitated mess. It made him think of naughtier scenarios were she kept on undressing him.

He looked at his script again,  pretending very hard that he was actually paying attention. After what seemed like  an endless wait, the PD finally gives the order to proceed and directs them to do one last run-through before they roll the cameras.

And then things get worse for his sanity.

As part of the scene, JiHyun kneels down between his legs. At this sight, a certain part of him starts paying close attention and Chang Wook desperately recites the Aegukga national anthem in his mind to distract himself. She leans over him closely and slowly reaches for his tie. Chang Wook lowers his gaze, pretending to have his eyes closed as per the script. He peers through his lashes as she slowly pulls the tie through it’s knot, an intense look of focus on her face. His breathing stops.  She unknowingly bites her lip in concentration and this almost undoes him. He wants to feel how they taste and before he realizes it, he's slowly leaning towards her.

His movement makes JiHyun glance up in surprise and Chang Wook comes to his senses; pretending that he was just adjusting his position. She looks at him shyly, still looking a little unsure if she was doing it right.

“You did well,” he whispers and she smiles gratefully.

Finally, the director is ready and the cameras roll.

They do it again. 

Chang Wook counts the seconds; then opens his eyes.

He stares hungrily.

 

hr

 

After what seemed like an endlessly long day, the director finally calls it a wrap and they are done with filming. Chang Wook does his usual farewells to the crew then rushes back to the dressing room to change

He actually brought his Vespa today, explaining to Manager Bang that it was such a nice day he wanted to enjoy the opportunity to take it for a ride. His manager had just smiled knowingly at this excuse while they packed up the rest of their gear.

However, Manager Bang hadn’t been able to resist cheekily asking about the extra helmet Chang Wook had strapped to the seat...

Chang Wook flipped him the finger, but smiled contentedly. Yup, he had plans tonight.

He grabbed his bag and walked to where he had parked his scooter. He whistled a little tune feeling excited to share one of his favorite hobbies with JiHyun. He had a feeling she would love riding around on his Vespa and he, in turn, would love the feeling of her holding on to him.

He’d even located a quiet little restaurant here out near the lake that had the perfect view. They were far outside Seoul so it would be a little easier to dine without calling attention to themselves. Plus, if anyone saw them his agency could say it was about work.

Which was true. He was going to talk about work. Working on their future. Ok, so that was a terrible joke. But anyhow…

As he approaches his scooter, he smiles to see that JiHyun is already waiting. She seems to be chatting with someone who looked very familiar.

Wait. Was that really…?

“Chang Wook! Annyeong. How are you?” a familiar voice calls out to him. 

“In Guk!” he hurries over, surprised and pleased to see his friend. He hadn’t heard from him in well over a month and truthfully he had been very worried. It was a relief to see him out and about.

“Sorry to drop in so suddenly, but I was nearby for a work thing. And I remembered that you would be filming here. With our JiHyun.”

At this he smiles at JiHyun who is standing next to him. Chang Wook registers that JiHyun’s hands are holding onto In Guk’s arm. Her expression so happy to see him.

“In Guk-Oppa, I was really worried. Really, really, really worried.” she exclaims. “You didn’t even reply to my text before you left to the military” she wags her finger at him.

“Ah, is that right? I’m sorry; it was such a busy time.” In Guk laughs, his hands reaching up to hold onto hers.

Chang Wook, feels a slight twinge of something. He was not liking this feeling.

“So, In Guk, buddy….?" he asks, "Why are you here?”

“Ah well, I didn’t know you would wrap up so early today. I was just going to stop and say hi. But since you’re done.. want to go get some dinner?”

Chang Wook glances at JiHyun. She sends him a questioning glance in return.

“Ah, yeah. Yeah, we can do that.” Chang Wook replies while looking at JiHyun.

He is disappointed; but, he’s not sure what else to do. She just nods in return reassuringly.

“Great!” says In Guk. “I know a nice Sukiyaki place near here. You too JiHyun-i; you have to join us.”

“Oh sure. Of course.” she answers, feeling uncertain all of a sudden about the situation; and also trying not to feel disappointed. After all, it was great that In Guk-Oppa was here and doing well.

“Do you guys want a ride?” asks In Guk, beaming at the both of them.

“No, that's ok. I brought my bike,” Chang Wook points out, getting ready to pull JiHyun along with him.

“Oh, I‘m envious. It’s too bad I can’t ride mine. You see, my ankle is still hurting and I have to go slow with it.”

At this, he limps slightly and they both look down to realize he has a small brace around his left ankle.

“Well, Jihyun-i; you can ride with me then, right?” asks in Guk with a smile.

“Ah... yes. Of course. Here, let me help you, Oppa" She holds on to his arm as they carefully walk to In Guk’s car.

In Guk insists on opening the door for her; then climbs into the driver’s seat and waves at Chang Wook.

“See you there, bud. I promise to go slow for ya.”

Then he drives off, leaving Chang Wook to watch the tail lights moving away. Chang Wook starts his scooter and follows along.

For some reason, he feels uneasy.