The Happily Ever After

If Fate Allows

Epilogue 

 

Two years later

April 28, 2021
Seoul, South Korea

 

 

Cameras flash and the crowds gathered nearby cheer as the long line of limousines and fancy cars drop off a dazzling array of celebrities onto the red carpet. Gowns shimmer; jewelry sparkle; broad shoulders fill out elegant suits.
 

Not too much earlier, Song Joong Ki and Song Hye Kyo, the much loved Royal Couple of Hallyu had arrived causing a mini stampede as media and tabloid crews jockeyed for the best photo positions.
 

The beautiful couple had smiled and waved but declined any questions as they headed straight to the auditorium. They had just become the proud parents of twins earlier that year and Song Joong Ki was protective of his beloved.
 

The reporters are disappointed at not being able to score any interviews; but soon an excited whisper spreads through the crowd, surging into a wave of anticipation as a black Range Rover pulls up to the curb.
 

The crowd has been waiting for them.
 

An usher opens the door, and the spectators erupt in cheers and applause. The furious clicks of hundreds of cameras fill the air as Ji Chang Wook steps out smartly from the car, waving to the media and crowd. Flashlights burst brightly around him. He makes a dashing figure in a finely cut tuxedo that hugs his famous broad shoulders.
 

He leans into the car and a hush of anticipation falls over the crowd.
 

An elegant shoe appears, followed by long legs encased in a flowing royal blue gown. Gasps can be heard as the crowd gets their first sight of her. She is breathtaking in a lacey gown; feminine, yet undeniably alluring. The semi-translucent layers hint at the soft curves underneath. The sweetheart neckline showcases the smooth lines of her neck and the gentle curves of her shoulders. Her smile is dazzling as she waves to the crowd.
 

They walk, hands clasped together, towards the photo stage.  Chang Wook looks at his love, and feels a surge of pride and wonder that she is next to him. His eyes lower briefly to glance at the expanse of skin above her dress. He knew all about those shoulders.
 

In the car ride over, he had had a hard time keeping his hands to himself. The sight of Nam Ji Hyun's soft white skin had been too much temptation and, as soon as the chauffeur had started the car, he had pulled her into his arms so he could get a taste of it. He had breathed in the scent of her, softly nuzzling her neck. The sounds of her sighs driving him further into madness.
 

It was hard, but they had stopped before things got too carried away. She raised an eyebrow, however, as his hands continued to linger on her curves which made him smile sheepishly. He had not been in any hurry to remove said hands.
 

Nam Ji Hyun smiles, amused at the sight of some of her lipstick on his face. She reaches over to gently wipe it away then sighs.
 

“My makeup is ruined isn’t it?”
 

Chang Wook looks at her beautiful face; taking in the softly glazed eyes, rosy lips and flushed cheeks.
 

“You look perfect.”
 

She rolls her eyes at this, but smiles; then pulls out her emergency makeup kit. Stylist Soojin-unnie had handed it to her earlier with a knowing look, saying she’d probably need it. This prompted Hairstylist-unnie who was fixing up Chang Wook’s hair nearby, to smack him smartly and warn him not to mess up Ji Hyun’s hair.
 

As she carefully fixes her lipstick in the car, Nam Ji Hyun’s hands tremble a little at the thought of what lay ahead. She usually didn’t care too much about how she looked. But tonight… tonight she was terrified. And she could use all the armor and arsenal that a woman had at hand to prepare for what awaited.
 

Tonight would be their first public outing together since the news had hit the press. Of them. Of their wedding.
 

The public was clamoring for more. They wanted to know all about them.  About her. How she could land one of the most eligible bachelors in South Korea, no, in the whole of Asia.
 

She breathes in a long shaky breath, trying to calm herself. A warm, comforting arm wraps around her and she sighs gratefully into the embrace.
 

“It’ll be ok, sweetheart.” He kisses her head gently, “You look gorgeous. Every man there will be wondering how I got to be so lucky”.
 

Often Ji Chang Wook wondered the same thing. Waking up to her every morning. Sharing meals together. Coming home from a long day at the set to be able to snuggle on the couch and fall asleep watching old movies.
 

How had he gotten so lucky?
 

Sometimes, as he watched her sleeping sweetly next to him, he had a hard time believing this was all true. This was his real life. It was everything he had dreamed it could be, and so much more.
 

Oh, they had their moments. Like the fact he could never remember to put the cereal or orange juice away which annoyed her to no end. Or that she would make him ride rollercoaster rides with her and look on gleefully as he screamed with terror (though secretly he would ride them again and again just to see her face light up like that).
 

But their bond together had been forged through hardship and endurance.  Everything else now was a piece of cake. The only thing that mattered was that they were there for each other.
 

On the photo stage, they smile and pose for the awaiting cameras and media. Chang Wook makes sure he has his arms firmly around Ji Hyun’s back. He feels her trembling slightly but the smile on her face does not waver as she waves to the crowd and cameras.
 

 An usher next to them politely leads them past the mass of reporters. Questions are shouted, and greetings called out. They’re all curious to know more about this dazzling couple, hoping to score some kind of scoop.
 

“Where did you go for your honeymoon? Were you dating when you worked on Suspicious Partner? Does she call you Jagiya? Are you buying a house together? Are you expecting good news?”
 

The reporters throw out question after question but that last one makes him pause slightly. He knew many were wondering if this was a shotgun wedding with a baby on the way.
 

But no, it had not been a shotgun wedding. They had taken their time, carefully planning their ceremony. They had wanted to make sure they honored their family and all the friends who had supported and protected them.
 

But, as for the good news….
 

 

He turns to JiHyun and they share a secret smile.

 

 

hr

 

Later that night

 

 

In the auditorium, lights dim and the orchestra, which had been playing soft, dramatic music, pauses; heightening the tension of the moment. Two glamorous figures stand on stage, one of them holding a shiny embossed card.
 

The man flips the card open, then pauses; surprise and pleasure showing as the name is revealed.
 

“And the winner for Best Actor in a Movie is……

.

.

.

.

.

.

…... Ji Chang Wook!”

 

The crowd goes wild. People around Chang Wook stand, clapping and patting him on the back. Chang Wook’s heart, which seemed to have stopped the minute his name was called starts pumping furiously. He turns in elation and pulls Ji Hyun into his arms for a quick kiss, which makes the crowd cheer even more loudly. Then he briskly walks to the stage.
 

He had a speech prepared, just in case; but he forgets most of it. With a resigned laugh, he just tries to do his best to thank everyone that matters to him and helped him get to this moment. His Omma, his manager, the director and crew, his fans, his friends.
 

Then he looks straight at the one face that he is most thankful towards. His eyes gazing directly at her with love, wanting to share this moment with her.
 

“To my beautiful wife. Who supported me, cheered me, made sure I had enough sweaters and kept warm when we filmed in the cold; thank you”
 

“But, this amazing woman is more than just my wife.  She is also a brilliant writer and I have her to thank for writing such a complex and compelling a character as Cho Jung Hyun. Without her, this project, this award could never have happened. And so I dedicate this win to my amazing wife and partner, Nam Ji Hyun. I love you.”
 

The crowd erupts in cheers and wild applause. Many turning to her and clapping.
 

Nam Ji Hyun tears up as she stares at the beautiful man gazing down at her from the stage. She wipes her eyes quickly and smiles; full of gratitude for all her blessings. Most of all thankful that he was hers, and she, his.
 

Almost two years ago, when she had shyly shared the script for Emotionless  with Chang Wook, he had read it all through almost overnight. The next day, he had sat her down and looked at her seriously.
 

“Ji Hyun-ah, have you ever thought about making this into a real movie?”
 

She had paused, hesitating a little. But then she looked at him directly and nodded. She wasn’t sure if it was good enough to be anything big. But she had worked hard on it in between her projects, college assignments and late night at the sets; and she was proud of her creation.
 

She had shared it with a few  of her friends in the industry to see what they thought; and she was hoping she could gather the funding to make a decent indie film.
 

That problem she had early on in the script soon resolved itself when she changed the characters around. Now, the detective chasing the criminal was a woman. This had added more layers to the story, for she not only had to deal with the case at hand; she was also up against the social repressions and misogyny of working in a man’s field.
 

Ji Hyun used her own experiences and observations from the showbiz industry to note the ageism and s exism women faced at work. She had tried not to be too heavy handed about it, but Detective Seo faced a constant uphill battle getting the system to work with her in the race to catch the the criminal while at the same time fighting against the prejudices within the system that punished her for being an attractive, competent women.
 

Ji Hyun's agency sunbae, Gong Hyo Jin-unnie, had taken the role and portrayed the dilemmas and conflicts within that character more beautifully than Ji Hyun could have ever imagined.
 

The criminal however, had stolen most of the limelight. Cho Jung Hyun was beautiful, manipulative, manic and deadly. He weaved illusions of charm and grace as he lured his victims into impossible situations. The scene she wrote where the victim believed he had to chose between which of his siblings would live or die had given her nightmares. Even so, the audience had sympathized with him and the tragic incidents that led him to do what he did; many crying at the shocking ending.
 

Chang Wook had been amazing as the tragic, complex Cho Jung Hyun and his win was so well-deserved. She had known he would get it. She smiles with pride at him as he disappears backstage with his prize.
 

Honestly, the project could never have become what it did if not for him. He had been tireless in advocating for her and pushing her to move forward. Chang Wook had signed up to be the executive producer and gathered many of his own contacts to work on the project. Together they had been able to build a team of impressive names that had taken what had started as just a little dream of hers into a full blown production.
 

Kim Eun Hee, the much acclaimed writer for Signal, had signed on board and her name was credited right next to Nam Ji Hyun’s. Ji Hyun still could not believe it. It had been incredible to work with such a master in her craft. She was still in awe that she had sat at the same table as Teacher-Kim Eung Hee and talked about the characters she had created and the their motivations in depth. They’d forged a friendship over long nights agonizing over dialogue and scenarios. Ji Hyun had even taken a liking to coffee thanks to those lengthy brainstorming sessions.
 

From the corner of her eye she sees Chang Wook approaching their seats and she smiles brightly. He leans over and plants a warm kiss on her lips, still feeling the emotions of the moment.
 

“Congratulations, Jagiya” she whispers; feeling so much pride for this man who had overcome many hardships in his life through sheer effort and tireless determination. He was a friend to many; a son who cherished his mother; and a husband who she would love for the rest of her life.

 

 

hr

 

 Much later that night

 

 

 

The post-award celebrations are jubilant and raucous. To Nam Ji Hyun’s surprise, Emotionless had won the prize for best screenplay and had swept a number of other awards including Best Actress and The Grand Daesang. It was a spectacular achievement for the small indie movie; and Ji Chang Wook’s and Nam Ji Hyun’s friends and family had taken it upon themselves not only to celebrate the multiple wins but also to throw a little post-wedding party for them at Alver Labs.
 

All around them their friends were dancing and laughing, enjoying the cocktails (or mocktail in Ji Hyun’s case) and teas-ing the newlyweds. Hairstylist Unnie was gossiping in a corner with Ji Hyun’s Omma  as she watched the younger ones from her salon crew  including Styliest-unnie rock out with the band on stage. Her Appa was chatting excitedly with Manager Jeong-Jun (though she swears, it looks like they are playing on their phones together).
 

Chang Wook’s mother was on the floor with Bang Chi Gu, laughing it up as he tried to dip her dramatically. Even Ggoma, their much beloved Beddlington terrier and his love, Ppomnae, the cute little pomeranian they had gotten last year, were here.  Ppomnae was as loud and boisterous as her name (it meant showy), and the two pups were over near the  patio playing with Ji Hyun's older sister and Manager Bang’s adorable toddler.
 

Numerous famous celebrity friends including the ever elegant Gong Hyo-Jin and Ji Hyun's other agency sunbae, Gong Yoo, were there happily chatting away mingling with other long time non-famous friends who were just as dear to the couple. Gong Yoo had teasingly tried to steal Chang Wook's award prize but then gave him a  friendly punch on the shoulder and congratulated him for a win well-earned.
 

All around were the people that mattered to them sharing in the pleasure of the moment. Celebrating together. Observing the scene, Ji Chang Wook sighed with happiness and smiled at the woman in his arms next to him. Together they were building a life filled with laughter, friendship and joy.
 

He and Ji Hyun didn’t need the limelight or big cars or luxurious homes to find their happiness. As long as they had each other, their loved ones, the work they enjoyed and the time to sneak away once in a while for long bike rides, they could be endlessly happy.
 

He spies a face he hadn’t expected to be here; but is glad had come. Over near the large windows, Seo In Guk is chatting with a friend, his arm holding a pretty girl who Chang Wook recognized as his girlfriend. He and Seo In Guk’s friendship had not been the same, but they had moved past the old hurts.  
 

After his release from the military, Chang Wook had gotten a letter from In Guk wishing him happy and apologizing for the damage caused. At first Chang Wook had wanted to tear that letter and burn it to ashes. Even after so many years, the memory of his friend’s betrayal stung.
 

But, as he talked it over with Ji Hyun, he came to realize his friend’s only crime was to fall in love. What if their positions were reversed? What if Seo In Guk had fallen for Ji Hyun first? Would he, Ji Chang Wook, have been able to walk away and forsake all of this for his best friend?
 

The thought of such a possibility sent shivers down his spine and he held onto Ji Hyun a little tighter.
 

Not long after, he had called In Guk up and they had met for coffee. Nowadays, they would bump into each other once in a while though there was still a distance between them. He had even invited In Guk to the wedding, but the friend had declined stating he would be away then for a project. However, he had sent a card and present; and Chang Wook was glad to see how happy In Guk looked now that he had found love again. Despite what had happened between them, his friend deserved happiness after enduring all the pain of his past.
 

A mike booms out into the crowd as someone taps it on stage.
 

Chang Wook grins to see one of his best friends, Jun Hyung, and his 2Bic duo partner, JiHwan, standing in front of the crowd 

“This is for my best friend, Chang Wook," his friend starts.  "He's probably the happiest person in the whole world right now. Congratulations for scoring the award prize tonight. We’re proud of you. But probably bigger congratulations should be given for scoring a classy lady who will put up with you for the rest of your life." the crowd laughs at this.

"And to Ji Hyun, congratulations for your win and for being one of the most amazing persons we know.  Chang Wook is a lucky, lucky man. "

"To Ji Chang Wook and Nam Ji Hyun, this song is for you …” he nods to the band on stage.

The guitar strum of a familiar tune leads the guests to break out in applause and happy sighs. The duo start singing their beautiful song “This Road With You”; crooning words of promises and a life together through ups and downs.  

As the melody echos through the room, Chang Wook pulls Ji Hyun into his arms and onto the dance floor. Hes softly sings the words to her as he gazes at her with all the love in his heart. Her eyes shine back, bright with tears and equally in love as they sway across the floor surrounded by everyone they hold dear.

 

 


This road we walk together,

It may not always be easy, however

If you are by my side

With my heart

Believing in each other

We can do this

 

When you are happy

 when you are sad or tired

From now on let's be together

 

Looking at the same things,

Walking together

Laughing, crying, sleeping together

I will spend my remaining life for you

If you allow me to

 

 

.

.

.

.

 

And they lived happily ever after

 

 

hr