The Fairy Godmother

If Fate Allows

January 14, 2017

Seoul, South Korea

 

Jung Mi Yung looked on in satisfaction at the rows of chairs and mirrors currently filled with clients. All around her was the soft buzz of hair dryers and the constant chatter of a well-run salon. She'd been on her feet almost all day; though today was an easy day. She didn't have an off-site schedule so she had been able to spend the whole time in her most favorite spot in the world: her salon, with it's gleaming equipment and modern elegance. She had built her business from the ground up as a nobody and all her long hours and effort had culminated in the launch of this brand new building over a year ago. Aluu salon was now one of the most sought after style spots in Seoul and every time she looked at the brightly lit space she was filled with a fierce sense of pride.

To the casual observer, she was right now resting calmly while sipping a warm ginger tea. Her keen eyes, however, were observing the station of one of her senior stylists where an elegant lady in her 50s was getting her hair done. As the owner and manager, Mi Yung would often drop by to chat to each client though she generally reserved her services for her star clients and her favorite pet projects. She knew, however, that the elegant lady was a producer at KBS and judging by the way the lady was whispering agitatedly to her phone, someting interesting was going on.

Mi Yung quietly slipped in behind the styling chair, taking the brush from her senior stylist's hands and continued brushing with gentle, calm s trokes. Soon the phone call was over and the client in front of her sighed and made a face. 

"Aigo, look what your Yoona has done."

"Is everything ok, Producer-nim?"

"That was Yoona-shi's agent. Did she tell you she and Ji Chang Wook-shi are supposed to present at the Seoul Music Awards together next week?"

"Ah.. Chang Wook-shi did say something about an award"

"Well we were in talks with Yoona because they are such an item now, you know?"

This statement was followed by a searching glance as if expecting Mi Yung to divulge some juicy tidbit. However, even though Mi Yung knew quite a bit about her clients' lives she never revealed a single thing. She viewed the Hairstylist-Client relationship as a sacred trust on par with lawyers and therapists. Often she felt like a mix of both.

Since no response was forthcoming the producer continued on.

"Well, they're saying now she can't. She has filming that day. Ah, I should have set up a formal agreement and contract. Can't you talk to her? She comes here doesn't she?"

"I'm sorry producer-nim. It sounds like a tough situation. Have you no one else in mind?"

"Yoona would have been perfect. The fans would have gone crazy seeing her paired up with Ji Chang Wook again."

Mi Yung smiled a little. She knew already what Chang Wook and Yoona would have thought about that. However, there was something to this situation. Why, perhaps....

"Producer-nim, I don't often do this; because you know I'm not an agent. I can't tell my clients what to do. Moreover, a well-connected, well-respected producer like you can probably contact any of the 10 hottest stars right now and get them to present that award," she paused strategically, knowing that the producer was hanging onto her every word. "I do, however, have someone in mind who would be perfect."

The producer looked up at her sharply in the mirror.

"She has just won a best new actress award. She's young, beautiful and what's more she is likely available that evening."

In fact, just the other day JiHyuni had been cutely sighing about how much spare time she had and teasingly asking for a part-time job. 

It didn't take too much persuading on Mi Yung's part to convince the producer that this was the perfect solution. After all, the other lady did not want to have to explain a last minute crises to her boss. This way everything could be dealt with quietly and tidily. The client left not long after, satisifed both with her stylish hair and with the belief that she had single-handedly solved the problem.

Mi Yung picked up her phone and dialed JiHyun's mother. She did so love it when everything fell into place.

 

hr

 

Aluu