The Confession

If Fate Allows

 

Nam Ji Hyun watched the scenery rush past outside the car window. Night had settled over the suburbs of Seoul and the lights of passing vehicles flashed by in a quick blur.

She looks down at her phone to see she had received at least two KakaoTalk messages. It’s Chang Wook-Oppa.

 

[EmperorJi87] JiHyun where are you?

[EmperorJi87] I’m sorry. I’m  really worried, are you ok?

 

She sighs and types in a reply:

 

[hyunihyuniiii_917] I’m fine, Oppa. I’m heading home

[hyunihyuniiii_917] I’ll see you tomorrow. Please get home safely

 

She slides the screen off, her mind still a mass of confused thoughts.

Her phone dings again and in her alerts she sees there’s one more message, quickly followed by another:

 

[EmperorJi87] Please message me when you get home

[EmperorJi87] Or I’ll come find you     

 

At this she smiles a little. Arasso, she thinks.

Her phone starts ringing so JiHyun quickly slides her thumb over it to answer.

“Oppa, I’ll message you. I promise.”

“That’s good to hear” the voice on the other line says. It’s not Chang Wook

“In Guk-Oppa?” JiHyun says, suddenly feeling at a loss for words.

“JiHyun... I’m really sorry about what happened”

JiHyun doesn’t know what to say.

“Are you ok?” 

“Ah, yes” she says, but the hesitancy in her voice is obvious.

“We made a mess of it didn’t we?” he laughs; but there is no humor in his voice.  “I’m sorry about tonight, JiHyun. But, the thing is,” he pauses, “The thing is, I’ve been thinking a lot these past few months and I actually came to see you to tell you something”

He pauses again, and she hears him take a deep breath.

“Nam Ji Hyun, I really like you. I really, really like you. You were the only thing keeping me sane when I thought I was about to lose it.”

JiHyun listens in shock, her mind not quite registering the words.

“I don’t need you to answer me,” he continues, “I just wanted to let you know. And if..  if you think you can give me a chance one day, I will be waiting.”

She hears him sigh on the other end.

“I was planning to do this a lot more smoothly; but, that’s all for now. Good night,” he says softly and hangs up, leaving JiHyun to sit there speechless, holding her phone for a long time. Her thoughts mulling over everything that had happened that evening.

 

 

hr

 

Earlier that evening: 

 

 

Right after dinner, Nam Ji Hyun had walked over to the restroom to escape the tension brewing at the table. She didn’t know what  was going on between Chang Wook-Oppa and In Guk-Oppa; but clearly they had issues they needed to work on. Together.

So she pulled out her phone and started dialing her manager; but then canceled. Jeong Jun would already be all the way back to Seoul now. Also, she didn’t want to have to explain why she wasn’t catching a ride back with her friend like she had told him.

However, she really should go.  The two idiot friends out there needed to work out whatever issue it was they were having and they would not be able to do it with her as the third wheel.

She quickly looked up and dialed another number and afterwards walked back to the booth to see what had become of the two. She  half-feared that they’d be at each other’s throats. And so, it was with great relief that JiHyun saw they seemed to be talking normally. Perhaps they had been able to work things out while she had been gone.

As soon as she had that thought, In Guk stood up to offer her a ride home and Chang Wook rushed to do the same; both of them grabbing one of her arms.

If she had her arms free she would have grabbed her hair with frustration. Hul, she thinks, what is it they say? That the wisdom of men were not in their ages. Here were two thirty year olds behaving more like three year-olds. Now, for whatever petty reason, they had decided to use her in their argument.

She was having none of that.

“Chang Wook-Oppa, In Guk-Oppa. Let go.”

It takes a few seconds, but the two finally remove their hands, still glaring at each other.

“Look,” she says, “Thank you for dinner; but, I’m going to go now. I don’t want to meddle; but I think it’s best if you two talk together. Civilly.” she gives them each a stern look and starts to walk away, then remembers something.

She turns back around and leaves some bills on the table.

“Here’s my part of the tab.” She gives them one final bow and walks out.

She doesn’t get far on the street before she feels a hand holding on to her wrist, stopping her.

“JiHyun, I’m sorry. Don’t go like this. Please, let me make sure you get home safely. Or, you can go with In Guk if you want.”

Chang Wook holds on to her, his eyes looking at her pleadingly. Seo In Guk is not far behind but seeing the look on her face he decides not to say anything.

JiHyun looks searchingly at Chang Wook. She notes the worry and tiredness in his eyes. Ah, this beautiful, frustrating man.

“Chang Wook-Oppa. I’m really ok. Don’t worry about me. And, I’m not upset. Truly. But, I really think you and In Guk-Oppa need to work out whatever problem you’re having. You might regret it one day if you don’t.”

Her eyes look at In Guk before she continues.

“Maybe I’m not as old or as wise; but, working in this industry, if there’s one thing I’ve learned, it’s that real friends are hard to come by. So the ones you have should not be wasted. You know that’s true right, Oppa?”

She looks at Chang Wook sincerely. He glances away.

Headlights approach them and a car slows down to a stop near the sidewalk.

“Don’t worry about me. See, there’s my taxi," She gently pulls her wrist out of Chang Wook's grasp.  "Well... goodnight.” Nodding quickly at the both of them, she opens the door and slides into the waiting car. The two men can only watch as the tail lights disappear into the distance.

 

 

 

hr

 

The sound of an alert pinging her phone snaps JiHyun out of her reverie.

 

[Soop_JJ]: Don’t forget to text when you get back

 

It’s her manager. She glances at the time and it’s barely 9 in the evening. Hardly late at all. He must be fussing, as per usual.

She shoots back a quick reply then looks unseeingly out the window again. This time her mind insists on replaying In Guk-Oppa's words. She had never realized, never even imagined he had any feelings for her.

They had become friends after filming Shopping King Louie and had gone out with other cast members a few times. They had even gone together as a group once to see the musical  "The Days" not long after their project had wrapped up. (JiHyun had secretly hoped Ji Chang Wook would be on the bill then; but, alas, he was not scheduled for that particular showing).

In Guk-Oppa had flirted with everyone in his usual way; but she had not sensed him paying any particular attention to her. Once in a while they'd send texts; but rarely. The last time was on New Year's Day. She had also texted him to wish him luck for his enlistment but never heard back.

Images appear in her mind of a smiling Seo In Guk. She certainly had fond memories of  filming together with that whole crew and in some ways In Guk-Oppa really was like Chang Wook. They could both be childish and silly, making everyone around them laugh. And they both had a serious side when it came to work. But even so; she’d never thought of In Guk as anything more than a friend. She had been too busy looking at one man to notice any other.

Another image came to her mind of In Guk leaning over to kiss her. It was one of the sweet moments scripted for Bokshil and Louie. They had both giggled before that scene and she had been feeling the teensiest bit embarrassed. In Guk-Oppa would be the third man she kissed in her life. Also because of work.  

But, when their lips touched, her heart had not fluttered. It was simply a kiss; a pressing of the lips. She had been thinking hard instead about where to angle her nose and trying not to breath on him.

Even so, she couldn’t help feeling sorry. She didn't have much choice but to be honest with In Guk-Oppa about her feelings. She'd have to tell him, and soon; but she couldn't help wincing at that thought. 

To like someone and not have them like you back. That must be devastating, right?

She pictured telling Chang Wook about her feelings, and imagined the look of shock and perhaps even horror on his face. How would she be able to face him on the set after that?

And worse, how would she then mend her broken heart?

This and many more questions run through her mind. Her thoughts remaining muddled throughout the long ride home.