The Coffee Shop

If Fate Allows

Two hours and 10 minutes later,
March 24, 2017
Seoul, South Korea

 

 

Cafe Ahjusshi must have been feeling generous this evening. Nam Ji Hyun could count eleven mini marshmallows in her hot cocoa which was the most she had ever gotten.  She was sitting in a tiny little coffee shop in the backstreets of Seoul tucked somewhere in between Ewha College and her alma mater, Sogang University.  She'd spotted it one day while walking from campus and the ramshackle shop with its mismatched crockery and grumpy owner had become one of her favorite spots.

Despite its worn look, the cafe was popular during the day with a steady stream of office workers and students from the nearby colleges stopping in for cheap coffee and pastries.  At night however, the place was practically abandoned. Office workers were usually gone by 6pm and most of the college kids would migrate over to the more raucous scenes near Hongdae. This suited JiHyun perfectly; for even though she was no where near famous, once in a while, someone would recognize her as Bokshil or Seo-Wol and tonight she was on a mission of stealth. 

Cafe Ahjusshi was definitely not one of her TV-watching fans. She had been coming here for over two years and had introduced her name many times; but, he never used it and insisted on calling her Miss College Student. Which is what he called almost every female customer. But that was one of the things she secretly liked about him. And speaking of, there he was eyeing her grumpily again. She gave him a cheeky smile in return.

This was a routine they had. He would sigh, and grumble and she would nurse her drink, stretching it out as long as possible until it was almost closing time. Once in a while though, if she had not come back for some time, she might find an extra cookie or treat tucked in with her order. Tonight it was extra marshmallows, which made her smile.

Cafe Ahjusshi might not know this, but she needed any extra magic those marshmallows could give her tonight. She had decided to do something stupid. Or brave. Or stupidly brave. 

While college girl Nam Ji Hyun was a big ball of confused hormones and naivety; actress Nam Ji Hyun needed to be professional and thorough. And she was hoping, when she talked with Ji Chang Wook in person, she'd know for sure which one she could be for this project.

The Eun Bong Hee she was imagining in her mind was straightforward and determined. That girl knew how to get what she wanted and there was no way she would be helpless and passive in any situation.  She, Nam Ji Hyun,  could not let her own inexperience and vulnerabilities stand in her way... if, if she decided to do this.

Part of her could already feel that burn of excitement for a new project. She could spend hours just imagining her character's thoughts and intentions. Eun Bong Hee was intrepid and tough. She took no nonsense but she was also kind with a strong internal sense of good. JiHyun pictured the ways she could make Bong Hee ordinary, yet more. In fact, she was itching to do it and any sane actress would have immediately snapped up this project if they got the chance.

But she had to know, could she make it work, despite her mass of confusing and embarassing feelings?

She glanced at her watch for the umpteenth time which only seemed to make the seconds move more slowly. He was running a little late. She hoped he hadn't gotten lost. 

As she was thinking this, the bell above the cafe door chimed gently and a tall, long legged man wearing a black leather jacket stepped out of the cold. He had a scarf wrapped around the lower part of his face and a wool hat pulled low over his ears. But she recognized those wide shoulders.

He hadn't seen her yet since she was tucked away this side of the door behind him. He nodded at Cafe Ahjusshi who in turn grunted back in his usual charming way and  shuffled to the counter to get a menu. 

JiHyun started to stand up to greet him when at that exact moment the bell chimed again and a second tall stranger in a leather jacket walked in, a cap pulled low over his face. Were there two of them? She looked back and forth between them. No, the first one was Ji Chang Wook-shi, then.. who was that? Not his manager. She would have recognized Manager Bang.

As she watched, the two seemed to be having a quiet, intense discussion. The other man grabbed Ji Chang Wook's wrist and seemed to be pleading urgently. 

Hmm? What's this?

.......