The Momager

If Fate Allows

Earlier that day

March 24, 2017

Seoul, South Korea

 

After her mother had left her with the script, Nam Ji Hyun had sat absorbed, reading the scenes while imagining the characters interacting. It was amazing. Eun Bong Hee was amazing. And so was No Ji Wook. In the right hands, their pairing would be a comedic yet believable portrayal of opposites attracting. The script she received was for only the first few episodes but she could tell, writer Kwon Ki Young was building Romantic Comedy Gold. Even the court room drama fit perfectly, adding an element of complexity to the story.

Ji Hyun tried to imagine her interactions with the lead actor. Could she separate Ji Chang Wook, and all the baggage that came with that name, with the character No Ji Wook? The script did not have the later interactions detailed yet; but in the footnotes, the writer had mentioned kiss scenes and possible bed scenes. Just the thought of it made JiHyun feel hot and bothered and all shivery inside.

She did not have a lot of kissing experiences on TV (or any in real life, sigh..) but they were usually very tiring, technical endeavors. All about angles and lighting. She remembered being worried about sweating under the hot glare of lights and the hardest part more than anything was to portray the emotion the PD wanted in those completely unromantic circumstances. 

But the thought of touching lips with him. His hands on her. Looking at those eyes a short breath away. Arghhh$@!#$!!!... She hugged her pillow tight, blushing furiously.

Well it was no use going back and forth welling in uncertainty. Omma had said they needed an answer quickly and there was only one thing she could think of saying.

She stepped out of her room and saw that her mother was sitting on the couch, munching on rice cracker snacks. One of Omma's favorite weekly dramas was playing on the television. Her mother looked up as JiHyun slid down next to her, but said nothing. Only offered her some rice crackers. Together they silently crunched (though how can one silently crunch?) and watched a rerun of Radiant Office.

Seeing the character Ha-Won run around earnestly and stand up to the office bullies reminded JiHyun of the intrepid Eun Bong Hee. While the script she received was only a partial outline of the story, she had already started to think of Bong Hee as a real person. In any other situation she would have jumped at the chance to make Bong Hee hers.

"Omma," she finally said, eyes still glued on the screen, "I think this is a good project. I think I can do the role well. But... I can't say yes..."

Her mother turned around to look at her. She did not say anything. Just looked searchingly at JiHyun. Then she gently nodded.

"It's ok. I understand JiHyun"

She started reaching for her phone to call the number the producers gave them. But JiHyun stopped her and gently pulled her mother's hand away. 

"Wait, hold on. I can't say yes, but it wouldn't be right for me to say no, either. I need to figure out something before I decide. Omma, can you please ask them to set up a meeting with Ji Chang Wook-shi?"

At this her mother paused. Now that she said it out loud, JiHyun realized it sounded crazier than she thought. How could she, a relative unknown, make demands on a top star? The showbiz industry especially thrived on hierarchy and there were consequences for people who did not know their place. But she didn't want to pick the project just because it looked perfect on paper, no matter what anyone else said. If she herself had no confidence she could do the job, then she'd rather miss out than be a mediocre actress.

Her Omma, who had remained silent, slowly reached out to tuck an errant strand of hair behind JiHyun's ears. 

"JiHyun-i." she said gently, eyes lovingly looking at her daughter,  "You've been my baby girl for so long, I sometimes forget that you are an adult now. But truly, I can see you are a grown up. Omma is proud of you. Really, really proud"

She patted JiHyun gently on her head, and a glimmer of tears shone in her eyes. JiHyun could feel answering tears threaten to spill out and so, to hide them away, she pulled her mother into a  tight hug.

"Omma..." she whined adorably "I'm not going away to the military you know. It's just another project".

Her mother took a deep sigh then sat back to look at her.

"Speaking of, I do have something I want to talk to you about."

She paused briefly, causing JiHyun to wonder anxiously if her mother was well. Was she sick? Was there a family secret she had not known about?

"JiHyun... the thing is, your Omma is not getting younger and the late filming shoots and driving around is not easy on me."

JiHyun held tight onto her mother's hands, feeling guilty that she sometimes took for granted that her Omma was always by her side.

"Omma, I'm sorry.. "

"No, no JiHyun. I'm not complaining, It's been one of my greatest joys being able to see you shine. Everywhere we go I keep hearing what a good daughter you are and it makes this Omma's heart so proud.

But, the thing is, your dad and I have been talking and we think it's time we get you a proper manager. Your agency CEO-nim assures me he can find you someone trustworthy. And so, starting from today, I am resigning."

She smiles at JiHyun gently, her kind eyes showing all her love for her daughter. 

"Omma..."

This time, JiHyun does give in, pulling her Omma into a tight hug and feeling tears of gratitude for all her mother had done for her. She acknowledges with a sense of sadness that this was another step in being an adult. 

"Aigoo, JiHyun. It's not like I'm going to stop being your Omma. There, there. But first, let me do this one last thing as your manager."

Her mother dials the number again. The phone rings and someone picks up. It turns out to be the direct line to Ji Chang Wook's manager. 

The poor man had seemed bewildered at first by their request; but, once he understood what she was asking for, he had gotten right down to business. It was no wonder Ji Chang Wook-shi's career was doing so well. His manager was a ruthless negotiator. Ji Chang Wook was a busy man, he said, and the producers needed an answer tonight. So before she knew it, a meeting was set for that very same night. Place and time of her choosing.

The call ended very quickly afterwards and JiHyun sat stunned. She glanced at the clock and realized in horror she had to be there in less than 2 hours.  She suddenly remembered her messy hair and the PJs covered in crumbs.  Sure, a girl didn't have to dress up for just a business meeting but she should at the very least shower.

"Oh no, oh no. What should I do???"

She rushed away to get ready and her mother chuckled in amusement. As soon as JiHyun disappeared into her room, her mother picked up the phone again and started dialing.

"Hello unnie, that bridge game on Saturday? Yes, I can make it after all. Oh no, no.. I can bring the snacks, it's no trouble.  Oh if you want to bring some for next week's game that would be great." 

She hangs up then starts scrolling through some other numbers.  Let's see, who should she call next? There was her nail lady, the hairdresser, and who was she forgetting?

She wasn't worried about JiHyun. That girl had a stubborn streak a mile wide so watch out anyone who tried to stop her. As for herself, she sure was looking forward to all that free time.