The Friend

If Fate Allows

January 1, 2017

Seoul, South Korea

 

The lights are off but in the distance Seo In Guk can hear the sounds of people celebrating. He'd had a little too much to drink.. but, to hell with that. It was the New Year and he had just wrapped up his concert. He was coming off from the high and adrenaline of being surrounded by eager fans. Nothing made you feel more alive than having hundreds, no, thousands of girls screaming your name. Except, there was one girl who hadn't been there.  She hadn't come.

He takes another swig of his beer and then glances down when his phone screen lights up with a KakaoTalk message.

[EmperorJi87] : Happy New Year

It's Ji Chang Wook, his best bud. Chang Wook was a night owl and they'd bonded over late night karaoke sessions and long motorcycle rides.  Most nights like tonight, they'd be off with their other two close friends 2Bic's Jun Hyung and Barrista Hyung hyping it up at the noraebang. But Ji Chang Wook was at a New Year concert in China this year . The other two already had plans and said they were too drunk to go anywhere else.

So here he was, after the after-party. Thinking thoughts he shouldn't.

[EmperorJi87] : pics?

His phone lights up once more. It's Chang Wook again. In Guk glances at the time and is surprised to see it's almost 5am. He starts texting back.

[SeoSoSo9999] : what do u mean u son of a --?

This time, instead of a text, his phone rings. Seo In Guk sighs and picks up. Actually, he wouldn't mind the distraction; but this conversation was not his first pick for one.

"Dude, you promised me pictures"

"Bro, I ain't promised you nothing"

"Who was it who got you the number for that hot stewardess last time? You owe me. Now pay over."

In Guk mutters a swear word and hangs up. He starts scrolling through his pictures. At first there's a whole bunch from today's party and his concert; then the photos change to the awards ceremony the night before and, finally, she appears on his screen. She had been his partner that night, having come off a successful TV project together and they each had received multiple nominations. His fingers pause over her smile. In some shots, you can only see her side view sitting next to him in her sparkly dress. In others her smile is glowing full force. 

In Guk clicks on one where he has his arms around her while she is holding a V sign up to the camera. He hits send. Almost immediately his phone rings.

"You bastard, you're touching her"

"I miss you too Chang Wookie"

"When are you going to give me her number?"

"When are you going to man up and ask her yourself?"

The voice on the other end pauses and then sighs. 

"F*k, I'm such a coward" 

Seo In Guk just chuckles causing his friend to swear at him instead. It felt good to laugh even if it was bittersweet

"I miss you, man" He lets out another small sigh.

"Hey, you doing Ok, In Guk? How was your concert?"

Good friend that he was, Chang Wook must have noticed his dark mood. In Guk started talking and at the back of his head he knew he'd never reveal his secret to anyone. Because of this. Because his friendship with Chang Wook meant more to him than almost anything.