Chapter 9

A Mate's Promise

The next day Yoongi took the others up to the trails in the mountains. Daehyun, Minhyuk and Yoongi decided to walk a little bit ahead while Joshua hung back with Hyungwon, who had actually gained some of his sanity back after his first hunt much to Minhyuk's relief.

"I know what you really are," Hyungwon said to Joshua as they walked along the trails. Joshua raised an eyebrow as he turned his head to look at Hyungwon. "I won't push you for telling us about your past but I was there when you had a talk with your packmates," said Hyungwon. "Mm," said Joshua as he turned to look ahead of them. "Why didn't you tell them about it then?" He asked. Hyungwon shrugs. "I figured it's something you'd share with them eventually," he said. "Though, you have to remember that Yoongi is already suspicious of you," he said. "I figured he was," said Joshua. "Most wolves don't understand the aura coming off me," he said. "And since he has a different wolf instead of his own Yoongi is automatically on the defensive," he said.

"How's your thoughts by the way?" Joshua asked, changing the subject. "I finally feel at peace," said Hyungwon. "At least, for now," he said. "The thing about my family is if they find out that their vampires screwed up they're going after the werewolves who killed them," he said. "I've seen it happen countless times," he said. "Mm," said Joshua. "For now though, I think we're safe," said Hyungwon. "They can't go after us, we work for Kris and are vampire hunters," said Joshua. "Exactly," said Hyungwon. "If they were to go after us they'd face the death penalty," he said. "What if this is all a ploy to get to you?" Asked Joshua. Hyungwon scoffs. "Then let them come," he said. "I will deal with them myself," he said.

"Hey!" Shouted Minhyuk. "Ya'll are lagging behind!" He called. "Sorry!" Shouted Joshua as he ran to catch up with the others. Hyungwon jogged after him. "You two were having a private conversation it seems," said Daehyun as he put his hands in his pockets. "Mm," said Joshua. "It was something Hyungwon wanted to talk to me about," he said. "Ah, okay," said Minhyuk. "When we heading to California?" Asked Yoongi. "Tonight, if ya'll are up for the car ride," said Daehyun. "Sure," said Minhyuk. Hyungwon and Joshua shrug. "I guess," said Yoongi. "Better head back and wash the sheets," he said. "Yeah," said Daehyun as they started heading back to where they parked the truck.

They cleaned up the house and washed the sheets and packed up the truck, getting ready to leave by about 7 pm. "Where in California are we going?" Joshua asked. "San Francisco," said Daehyun as he checked his phone to make sure. "Yep, San Francisco," he said. "Alright," said Joshua. "Do I have time to go on a little run?" He asked as he felt the familiar tremble start again. "Sure, be back in a few hours," said Daehyun. Joshua nodded and ran off to change.

"Where'd Josh run off to this time?" Asked Minhyuk as he walked over to the truck. "He needed to go for a run," said Daehyun. "We're almost done here so we just need to wait for him," he said. "It seems a bit odd that he has to go running so much," said Minhyuk. "I'm sure he'll tell us about it eventually," said Daehyun. "I guess," said Minhyuk. "Need any help? Yoongi and Hyungwon are done with putting the newly washed sheets on the bed," he said. "No, I got it, just tell them to bring their bags over and we'll wait on Josh before we go," said Daehyun. Minhyuk nodded before running off.

Joshua came back just before they were due to go. "We packed your stuff," said Minhyuk. "We were just waiting on you," he said. "Thanks," said Joshua. "Who's driving?" He asked. "You are," said Daehyun. "Yoongi wants a nap and Hyungwon and Minhyuk want some to themselves so we're in front," he said. "Sure," said Joshua before he got into the driver's seat. Daehyun got into the passenger seat and Yoongi, Hyungwon and Minhyuk got into the back. After a few minutes Joshua started the truck and backed out of the driveway, continuing to head west towards California.

"By the way," said Daehyun as he glanced behind him to make sure the others were asleep. "Mm?" Asked Joshua as he stared straight ahead. "Sungcheol let me know ahead of time about your... Problem," said Daehyun. Joshua clenched his hands on the steering wheel. "He did huh?" He asked. "It was more of a 'don't mind Joshua if he has to go running' thing," said Daehyun. "I asked why and he had to explain it," he said. "He didn't tell me about your past or anything, he said you'd tell us when you felt like it was time to," he said. Joshua hummed in response as he relaxed his grip on the steering wheel. "Your secret is safe with me, and Hyungwon apparently," said Daehyun. "I know I can trust you," said Joshua as he changed lanes. "Hyungwon I can only trust to keep his word as long as he's sane," he said. "Mm," said Daehyun as he looked out the passenger side window.

"How do you change between both forms?" Came Hyungwon's voice from the backseat. Joshua looked in the rear view mirror with an eyebrow raised. "Just curious," said Hyungwon. "It's natural for my animal form," said Joshua. "But I have to think of my wolf form to change to it," he said. "Maybe one day I'll show you my animal form," he said. "Not now obviously," he said with a shake of his head. "Yeah," said Daehyun. "How much longer?" He asked. Joshua checked his phone. "A couple more hours, we just crossed California state lines," he said. "You need to stop somewhere?" Asked Daehyun. "Nah, I got it," said Joshua. "I'll let you know though," he said.

It would be a few more hours before they reached San Francisco, Joshua reaching the old house that Minhyuk and Hyungwon owned with Shownu. They unpacked the truck and went inside to pick out their rooms. Joshua went to check out the fenced in backyard to see if it'd be a decent spot to change if he had the sudden urge to change. "Nice backyard huh?" Asked Daehyun as he came outside. Joshua hummed in response. "I like it," he said. "When are y'all heading out to kill your last vampires?" He asked. "Probably tomorrow," said Daehyun. "I get to take those two out, fun," he said. "Don't forget to remind Hyungwon to not change," said Joshua. "I won't," said Daehyun.