Chapter 5

A Mate's Promise

Hyungwon and Minhyuk got to know Joshua as the days passed, and even Yoongi had somewhat relaxed around him. They knew there would be a day when they'd be confronted by Sungcheol and the rest of the pack but right now they were enjoying the peace.

Joshua was out shopping with Minhyuk, Hyungwon, Daehyun and Yoongi just enjoying the day. He just hung back while Minhyuk dragged Daehyun and Yoongi around the stores. "I'm surprised that your pack hasn't started asking why you've been hanging out with us lately," said Hyungwon as he stood outside a store that Minhyuk dragged the others in. Joshua shrugs. "They know that I won't leave them, at least not until you ask me to go with you for missions or join your pack," he said. "Besides, Sungcheol trusts me to not run off, after being with his pack for years," he said. "Mm," said Hyungwon.

"I looked into your past a bit," said Joshua as he looked towards the store before turning to Hyungwon. "I don't mean to," he said. "But when I went through your files I came across some interesting things," he said. "If you're talking about the family I come from I refuse to talk about them," spat Hyungwon. "They don't deserve my respect after they killed Shownu," he said. Joshua nodded. "I agree with you," he said. "It was stupid for them to go that far," he said. "Are they still trying to contact you even after that?" He asked. Hyungwon nodded. Joshua sighed. "Well that's stupid," he said. "I know," said Hyungwon as he sighed. "My thoughts are screaming at me to go kill them but I refuse to stoop to their level," he said, scratching the back of his head. "Yeah," said Joshua.

Minhyuk, Daehyun, and Yoongi come out of the store, Minhyuk taking a moment to study Hyungwon before dragging Daehyun off to the next store. Yoongi sighed, shaking his head at Minhyuk's antics as he walked with Hyungwon and Joshua to the next store.

They stopped in front of the next store that Minhyuk dragged Daehyun into. "Do you know about the vampire hunter scandal?" Yoongi asked Joshua. Joshua nodded. "Sungcheol was on the panel of those Judging the trial along with Yongguk and a few other big name vampire hunters," he said. "I was there as standing beta because Mingyu and Wonwoo were both on missions at the time," he said. "They got put on the death penalty and new laws were introduced," he said. Yoongi nodded. "I can see from our point of view why this was a problem, I never worked for Kris, but Jun and his team do," he said. "They were outraged, especially when you guys got captured without any issue," he said. Yoongi scoffs at that. "Yeah, we were caught off guard, it's just stupid that they were allowed to do that in the first place," he said. Joshua nodded.

"Do you know who was on that panel of judges?" Asked Yoongi. "Yongguk, Sungcheol, Chanyeol, Kris, and 2 big name European vampire hunters that I never caught the name of," said Joshua. "The ruling went in your favor but nothing can take back you losing your wolf," he said. Yoongi nodded. "I'm okay now, but the impact it had on everyone just wasn't good," he said. "My brother as taken up hunting with his mate and my pack that I belonged to kind of fell apart after everything," he said. Hyungwon hummed in agreement as he put his hands in his pockets. "I admire Changkhyun and Jungkook for trying to keep the pack together but even Jimin and Kihyun are thinking of leaving at this point," he said. "Youngjae and Jooheon rejoining them has added some life back but things have changed," he said.

"All packs fall apart at some point," came a new voice behind them. Hyungwon and Yoongi turn around surprised. Joshua chuckled as he turned around. "Hey Mingyu," he said. "Am I needed back at the pack house already?" He asked. Mingyu shook his head. "No, I got dragged along to go shopping with Minghao and DK," he said. "You'll know if you're needed if Jeonghan starts texting you," he said with a chuckle. "Guys, this is one of Sungcheol's betas Mingyu, Mingyu this is Yoongi and Hyungwon," Joshua said, introducing them to Mingyu and vice versa. "Nice to meet you, I'm guessing Daehyun and Minhyuk are in the store," said Mingyu. "Mhm," said Joshua.

"Wait, how do you know Daehyun?" Asked Yoongi. "Yongguk visits often," said Mingyu as he shrugs. "We've gotten to know everyone," he said. "Hyung!" Called out two new voices causing Mingyu to let out a deep sigh as he turned around. "What's up Minghao? DK?" He asked as the two youngest run up to him. "We were going to get lunch," said Minghao. "Oh, hi Joshua-hyung," said DK. Joshua smiled some. "Go ahead and get lunch," said Mingyu. "I'll catch up in a bit," he said. Minghao and DK run off to the food court.

"Jun's off doing missions with Chan so I'm watching the two youngest at the moment," Mingyu said, shaking his head. "Quite the handful those two, I wonder how Hoshi can even handle them," Joshua said with a chuckle. "Hoshi got a mission from Kris so I'm stuck watching those two," said Mingyu. "And Jeonghan doesn't want to go shopping so he asked me to take the two shopping," he said. "I might as well head off after the two, I'll see you at home," he said to Joshua before walking away.

"Mingyu seems really chill," remarked Yoongi. "He normally is, unless you piss him off," said Joshua who shrugs. Minhyuk and Daehyun came out of the store with bags of clothes. "Ready?" Asked Joshua. "Sure," said Minhyuk as they headed to the food court for lunch.

They met up with Mingyu and company for lunch as Minghao and DK decided on pizza. The others got sandwiches from Subway and sat at a big table. Minghao and DK got to know Minhyuk and Daehyun as Joshua introduced them to everyone. Hyungwon sat sort of away from everyone to keep his thoughts from trying to make him kill them. He was included in the conversation though, only because DK started asking him all sorts of questions.

"Give Hyungwon a break DK," said Joshua who chuckled at the youngest's antics. "Sorry hyung," said DK as he took a bite of pizza. "No no, it's okay," said Hyungwon. "It's distracting me so," he said with a shrug. Minhyuk tilted his head to the side before nodding. "As long as it's distracting you," he said. Mingyu tilted his head to the side in a questioning manner. "I'll tell you later, with their permission of course," Joshua said. Hyungwon shrugs. "Our files are pretty easy to access, even if it's creepy," he said. "Go for it, I'm sure Sungcheol would like to know more about us," he said. Joshua nodded.

Joshua got a text as they continued shopping after lunch. It was getting close to dinner time now as they wrapped up their shopping for the day. "Well, looks like we're heading home," he said to Mingyu. Mingyu hummed in response as he checked his phone and saw the same message. "Minghao! DK! Let's go!" He called for them. Minhyuk turned to Joshua with a pout. "This isn't fair," he whined. Joshua laughs as he tousled Minhyuk's hair. "I think tomorrow is due for a visit from the big alpha himself," he said. "We'll see," he said. Minhyuk nodded. "I'll see you around then," said Joshua before leaving with Mingyu and the others.

Minhyuk and the others head back to the safe house. "I know we should be heading home now but Joshua being your mate has set us back a bit," said Daehyun. "I already let Yongguk know and he said to enjoy the vacation," he said with a chuckle. Minhyuk nodded. "I can't wait til we get our missions though," said Hyungwon. "Nothing against having vacations but I just don't like these thoughts," he said with a sigh. Yoongi hummed in response.