Chapter 20

A Mate's Promise

The next morning everyone went into the kitchen to do some last minute planning before heading out to the Chae's territory. Siwon was hesitant on having Ryeowook go, being worried that something would go wrong but Ryeowook assured him that nothing would go wrong.

After getting ready Ryeowook went to get the truck ready for the journey. Joshua, Hyungwon and Minhyuk refused to separate, and everyone gave them the last bit of privacy they could afford before the journey began.

Daehyun, Jinyoung and Vernon were in the kitchen enjoying a cup of coffee when Siwon came in. "Coffee?" Asked Daehyun. "Who made it?" Asked Siwon. Vernon pointed to Daehyun. "Did he ask who made the coffee?" Asked Jinyoung. "Mm," said Vernon as he drank some coffee. "We're starting to recognize some words," Daehyun said, scratching the back of his head. "If you get Ryeowook killed I'm coming after you," said Siwon. "We won't get him killed," said Vernon. "What did he say?" Asked Daehyun. "Not to get Ryeowook killed or he will come after us," said Vernon. "We won't," said Jinyoung. Vernon nodded.

Joshua, Hyungwon and Minhyuk came downstairs dressed and ready to go. "You three are loud you know that?" Asked Siwon, which caused Joshua and Hyungwon to blush. Vernon coughed, almost choking on his coffee as he realized what Siwon meant. Jinyoung, Daehyun and Minhyuk look confused. "Don't worry about it," said Joshua as he scratched the back of his head. Siwon chuckled some. "Nothing wrong with being loud but you should tone it down next time," he said before walking out of the room.

"I will find out what he meant!" Said Daehyun. "I'd rather you not," mumbled Joshua as he sighed. "I think you'd kill us if you knew what he meant," he said, scratching the back of his head before going to get some coffee. At that Minhyuk blushed. "I could've swore we weren't being that loud," he grumbled as he sighed. "Oh? Oh wait," said Jinyoung as he blinked before sighing. "Okay you three were loud but that's beside the point, you needed that," he said. Daehyun blinked as he finally got it. "Well then," he said. "Excuse me while I go bleach my ears out," he said before leaving the room.

Ryeowook walked into the kitchen after getting fuel in the truck. "Alright, we're ready to go," he said. "By the way brother, keep it down next time," he said, laughing at Joshua, Minhyuk, and Hyungwon's blushing. "I'll take you as close to them as I can get like I said, Hyungwon has my number so you can get it from his phone when everything is over and done with," he said. Hyungwon nodded, handing his phone to Joshua.

They headed out once Daehyun was ready, with everyone but Joshua in the trunk. Joshua was in the passenger seat with Ryeowook driving. "You know," said Ryeowook as he looked out the window. "If Minhyuk doesn't kill him you can, you'll be a regular shapeshifter again," he said. "Mm," said Joshua. "If that happens you'll have to keep changing to your animal form to stop aging," said Ryeowook. "I know," said Joshua. "I don't think Minhyuk can bring himself to kill him," he said sighing.

Ryeowook pulled up to a curb, parking the truck and turning to Joshua. "Well, this is your stop, the estate is just up the road here," he said. "Stay safe brother," he said. "I will," said Joshua before he hopped out of the truck and went to the trunk. "Let's go," he said. Everyone hopped out of the trunk and Joshua patted the truck. Ryeowook honked before making a u-turn and driving off, waving to Joshua and the others.

Joshua turned to Hyungwon. "This is our last chance to turn back," he said in Korean. Hyungwon shook his head. "We have to do this," he said in Korean. "If Minhyuk doesn't do it, then will you?" He asked. "I don't know," said Joshua as he turned and walked forward, Hyungwon following after him. Vernon kept his expression blank as the others turned to him for translation. "It's nothing I need to repeat," he said. "I have a feeling on what it was about," mumbled Minhyuk. "But let's go," he said before he ran after Joshua and Hyungwon. The others followed after him.

When they got there Hyungwon stared at the gates, before going to the buzzer and pressing it, stepping back and waiting. "Who is it?" Came a voice in Korean. "The long lost son has finally made a return," Hyungwon said in Korean. The gates opened and Hyungwon looked back at the others, who shrug. After a minute he walked inside the compound with the others following after him.

"So it is true?" Came a voice as someone walked over. "Father," said Hyungwon as he looked at his father. "Jaejoong," said Joshua. "And the stray comes back too? Well," said Jaejoong. "What brings you here?" He asked. "I came to return this," said Hyungwon as he held up his pocket watch. "But you know, I said I'd only return as a dead body," he said.

"And I came to fulfill that wish," he said as Minhyuk took the pistol from Daehyun. "By the way, you can't kill any of them, due to the simple fact that they're all vampire hunters," said Hyungwon as they were suddenly surrounded. "State your faction," Jaejoong said in english. "Sungcheol's faction," said Joshua and Vernon. "Chanyeol's faction," said Minhyuk and Jinyoung. "Yongguk's faction," said Daehyun. "And I belong to Chanyeol's faction," said Hyungwon. "So I suggest you back off before you really want your death to be quick," he said.

"Why do you choose this path Hyungwon?" Jaejoong asked in Korean. "You killed Shownu, and if I don't die then you'll go after my other two mates," Hyungwon said in Korean. "And you," said Jaejoong as he turned to Joshua. "I thought we told you not to come back around here," he said, flaring his alpha aura. Joshua tried not to flinch as he took a small step back. "I only came back because I wanted to see this to the end, you know I wanted revenge too," he said in Korean. "You leave him alone," Hyungwon said with a growl as he stepped in front of Joshua.

"Minhyuk, are you going to do it?" Asked Jaejoong as he looked at Minhyuk. Minhyuk blinked in confusion before Vernon mumbled a translation. "It seems so," said Minhyuk as he brought up the gun to aim at Hyungwon. "But, alas I can't," he said before handing it to Joshua who blinked.

"I think someone deserves this more than I do," he said. Joshua looked at the pistol before turning to Minhyuk. "I had a feeling that you'd come here for this," said Minhyuk. "Take back your life, stop being a beta," he said. Joshua nodded and turned to Hyungwon, holding up the gun and aiming it. The people surrounding them moved forward but suddenly there were four snarling wolves protecting Joshua and Hyungwon. "Tell your men to back off," said Hyungwon. "You wanted this pocket watch so badly, you're getting it," he said.

Joshua took a deep breath. "Are you sure about this?" He asked. "Take back your life," said Hyungwon. "Just remember to stay strong," he said. Joshua nodded and closed his eyes before firing the pistol. Hyungwon coughed up blood, looking at Jaejoong as he fell to his knees. "Happy now?" He rasped out as Joshua took another shot. Hyungwon fell forward, going still. Jaejoong walked forward as Joshua put the gun on the ground, Daehyun going to grab it. "You got what you needed, can we get some clothes and leave?" Joshua asked in Korean. Jaejoong nodded. "Get them some clothes!" He Yelled in Korean before turning to Joshua.

"Your father is looking for you," he said in Japanese. "I'm well aware of that," Joshua said in Japanese. "But it's not time to go see him yet," he said, before walking away.

Once everyone was back in human form and had new clothes on they left the compound. When they did a shot rang out, Joshua looking confused as everyone went to him. He looked down at his stomach where a bullet hole was and blood was coming out. He fell to the ground, Minhyuk catching him.