Chapter 8

A Mate's Promise

Minhyuk and Hyungwon were ready for their first kills as vampire hunters so Daehyun left it up to Joshua to take them out to Phoenix. "There's 2 vampires in Phoenix we need you to kill, I trust you can take care of them," Daehyun said to Joshua. "Yes," said Joshua. "I've been hunting for years," he said. "Just keep an eye on Hyungwon," said Daehyun. "I will," said Joshua. "Good luck, you two," said Daehyun as he turned to Minhyuk and Hyungwon. Hyungwon nodded. Minhyuk scratched the back of his head. "Yeah," he said. Joshua left with Hyungwon and Minhyuk.

Joshua drove to Phoenix in silence with Hyungwon in the backseat and Minhyuk in the passenger seat. "How do you think we'll go about this?" Asked Minhyuk. "I usually take the tactical approach, but since we're going into the city we need to be careful," said Joshua. "No changing unless absolutely necessary," he said. "Hyungwon do you want this first kill?" He asked as he looked into the rear view mirror. "Sure," said Hyungwon. "Alright," said Joshua as he felt the familiar tremble start. He let out a deep breath as he clenched his hands on the steering wheel. "What's up Joshua?" Asked Minhyuk. "Nothing," said Joshua as he tried to relax the trembling. "I just need a minute," he mumbled as he looked for a place to park. He stopped at a rest stop before getting out. "I need to go and change quickly, I don't know what has my wolf so anxious," he said. "Sure," said Minhyuk. Joshua ran off to go change.

Minhyuk and Hyungwon got out of the car and headed to the vending area to get some drinks. "I know you're hiding something," said Minhyuk as he sat at a picnic table with Hyungwon. Hyungwon shrugs. "I may be, but that's up to Josh to disclose, I don't think I should be the one to give out personal information like that," he said. "I guess," said Minhyuk as he drank some soda. "I don't want to push him for something like that," he said. "How's your thoughts going?" He asked. "Mm," said Hyungwon as he shrugs. "I'm trying to keep from thinking about them," he said. "I hope I can finally quell these thoughts at least a little," he said. "You should be able to, if things go smoothly anyway," said Minhyuk. Hyungwon nodded.

They were there for about half an hour before Joshua came back with his hands in his pockets. "Sorry about that," said Joshua. "Hope you weren't too bored," he said as he rubbed the back of his neck. "Nah," said Minhyuk as he looked at Joshua with his head tilted to the side. "Ready to go?" He asked. "Sure," said Joshua before he walked back to the truck. Hyungwon and Minhyuk got up and followed after him.

The rest of the drive to Phoenix was tense, as Joshua anticipated these missions. He had to watch out and make sure Hyungwon didn't go berserk, but there was no guarantee that he would come out of this as sane as before. Minhyuk was anxious, since this would be his first mission as a vampire hunter.

"Okay, the two vampires we are after are in the same house, I'll sit back a bit and let you both do your kills," said Joshua as he pulled into a parking lot near the houses they were supposed to hit. "Don't change unless it's absolutely needed," he said as he turned to Hyungwon, who nodded. "Alright, I'm going to grab the bag we have in the back where we hold our stuff we get from missions," he said before getting out of the truck and going to grab the bag. Hyungwon and Minhyuk follow after Joshua after he grabs the bag.

Once they got to the house Joshua turned to them. "Take a tactical approach, and be careful," he said. Hyungwon and Minhyuk nod and head into the house. Joshua tilted his head to the side, waiting for a few minutes before heading around the side of the house to go to the back where he could observe from the backyard and make sure no vampires got loose.

After a few minutes Joshua heard Minhyuk yell for him and then a snarl was heard. Joshua growled and ran inside ready to tackle Hyungwon and somehow force him to calm down. "I told this idiot to not try and change," he grumbled as he spotted Hyungwon, who was in wolf form, cornering Minhyuk. "Calm him down with your alpha aura," he said to Minhyuk. "I'm a beta, so I can't," he said. Minhyuk nodded and unleashed his alpha aura and aimed it at Hyungwon. "Hyungwon, calm down it's just me and Joshua," he said. Hyungwon continued to growl, but Joshua could tell he was calming down. 

Joshua slowly walked forward before tackling Hyungwon and pinning him down. "Calm down," he said as the wolf started to buckle. "It's alright, we're your friend here," he said. Hyungwon returned to human form after a few minutes, calm now. Joshua looked down at him. "You okay now?" He asked. "Yeah, sorry about that," said Hyungwon. Joshua nodded and moved away before helping Hyungwon stand. "Did you two get the items?" He asked. Minhyuk nodded and tossed two pocket watches at Joshua who caught them. He examined them with his head tilted to the side. "Werewolf hunter watches, hm," he mumbled. "I don't know this symbol," he said. Hyungwon went over to check. "Damn," he said. "That's my family's crest," he said. Joshua sighed. "Well, it seems like we're not done with your family yet," he said. "It seems so," mumbled Hyungwon. "Let's get out of here and head home," said Joshua before he left the house with Minhyuk and Hyungwon following after him.

Minhyuk sat in the passenger seat this time as Hyungwon drove home. Joshua couldn't bring himself to drive back, in case he had another episode and had to go change. It was quiet for everyone, no one wanting to talk.

"How was the hunts?" Asked Daehyun as they got home. "Fine," said Joshua as he got out of the truck after Hyungwon and Minhyuk went inside. "We ran into a problem, those vampires were with Hyungwon's family's faction," he said. Daehyun growled at that. "And here I thought we finally got rid of them," he said. "We'll be good for now, but we'll see what happen in the future," he said. Joshua nodded. "We'll head out in the next couple days, Yoongi wants to go hiking tomorrow," said Daehyun. "Alright," said Joshua before he headed inside.