Chapter 12

A Mate's Promise

Daehyun, Joshua, and Jinyoung headed out to the reservation the next morning to see if they could get some answers for Joshua. Minhyun had let the elders know ahead of time to make sure that they wouldn't get attacked right away.

Daehyun drove the truck up to the borders, which there was already some natives waiting for them at. "You guys the ones we meeting?" He asked when he rolled down the window. "Yeah, the name's Samuel," said Samuel. "We're expecting you," he said. "Tell us where to go and hop into the back, we'll take you there," said Daehyun. "Just go up the road until you reach town, here's the address," said Samuel as he handed Daehyun a piece of paper. "We'll hop into the back, thanks for the ride," he said. Daehyun took the paper from Samuel and put it into the GPS on his phone as Samuel and his betas hopped into the back of the truck and sat down. Joshua tilted his head. "Hm," he said. Daehyun started the truck and drove off, heading to their destination.

"You feeling alright Josh?" Asked Daehyun. "Just fine," mumbled Joshua. "I haven't had to change since I got here," he said. "That's good at least right?" Came Jinyoung's voice from the back. "Mm," said Joshua. They soon pulled up to a small house where an old man in a wheel chair was waiting for them at. "This the place Samuel?" Daehyun called. "Yeah, that's my grandpa," Samuel said from the trunk. Daehyun nodded and put the truck in park before turning off the ignition. Samuel and his betas hopped out of the back and after a minute Daehyun, Joshua and Jinyoung hopped out of the truck. They slowly walked over to not set off the shape shifters.

"Welcome to our reservation," said the old man who introduced himself as Billy. "Thank you," said Daehyun. "We are here needing answers for our friend Josh here," he said. "I may be able to provide some answers to your question, Samuel bring out some chairs," said Billy. "No no, we're okay with standing," said Daehyun. "No need to waste energy on us, we're only here for a visit," he said. "Suit yourself," said Billy.

"Now, why are you here?" He asked. "I'm a shape shifter," said Joshua as he decided to speak up. "But I have these random bouts of changing to my animal form and I'm stuck in that form for hours," he said. "You're a shape shifter? Like our wolves here?" Asked Billy. "Well, my animal form isn't a wolf but yes," said Joshua. "Hm," said Billy as he looked to be deep in thought. "You never had this problem before?" He asked. Joshua shook his head no. "I'd still change to my animal form regularly but as soon as I went west I felt the sudden urge to change," he said. "You don't belong to a shape shifter pack?" Asked Billy. "No," said Joshua. "I'm a werewolf too, I belong to a pack of werewolves," he said. "But I've never had this problem with my pack, ever," he said. "Hm," said Billy.

"You found your imprint?" Asked Billy. "My what?" Asked Joshua. "Your mate," said Billy. "Erm, not my mate for my animal form but my mate as a werewolf yes," said Joshua. "Wasn't aware of being able to have another mate, not since I was turned into a werewolf," he said. "Mm," said Billy. "I want to test something," he said. "Samuel, unleash your alpha aura," he said. Joshua tilted his head to the side. "I don't think it would affect me since I'm in another pack," he said. "It's just an experiment," said Billy. "If it doesn't work then I don't know what is causing you to change a lot," he said. Joshua nodded. "Okay," he said.

Samuel tilted his head before taking a deep breath and unleashing his alpha aura, aiming it straight at Joshua. Joshua tilted his head as he felt it but it didn't affect him. "Well, that didn't affect me at all," he said after Samuel backed off with his alpha aura. "Could it be because my werewolf mate doesn't know what I am?" He asked. Billy thought about it. "It could be," he said. "It may be your animal form wanting to show your mate that you are more than just a... Werewolf as you call yourselves," he said. A growl rumbled through Jinyoung's chest as he glared at Billy. "We aren't like your wolves," he said calmly to not set off the shape shifters. "I think my pack's previous actions proved that we don't need our wolves to fight our own battles," he said.

"If you think you're so high and mighty fight me," said Samuel. "I won't stoop to your level," said Jinyoung. "I don't need to overcompensate for other things just because I can change into a wolf," he said. "I don't need to be a giant wolf to kill vampires," he said. "I'm a damn cat and I don't need to use my animal form to kill vampires," said Joshua. Samuel growled and changed, attacking Joshua, who sighed and moved out of the way.

"Don't you have some sort of treaty set up?" Asked Joshua as he dodged the wolf who continued to try and attack him. "Isn't this going against your own treaty? What happens then?" He asked. "We get to kill you all again," said Jinyoung as he smirked. "Your grandson just attacked because of a wounded pride," said Daehyun as he crossed his arms. Billy sighed. "I guess this is it, I'm sorry Samuel, Collin, Brady," he said. Joshua tilted his head and closed his eyes, changing to wolf form. His silvery white wolf form growled before pouncing on Samuel and snapping his neck immediately. Daehyun and Jinyoung quickly killed the others.

Joshua turned to Billy as he changed back to human form. He quickly covered himself. "There's some clothes in the house, go get some out of Samuel's room," said Billy. Joshua turned to Jinyoung and Daehyun who give the go ahead. Joshua ran inside to find something to wear before coming out in a pair of shorts and a t-shirt. "I'm sorry my grandson did this," said Billy. "It's alright," said Joshua. "I got some answers," he said. "Now I want to tell my mate about me," he said. "It's best if you do," said Billy. "Thank you for allowing us to come here and speak to you," said Joshua as he bowed. "We won't be bothering you after this," he said. "It's alright, it's nice to see another 'shifter again, you are welcome to come by any time if you have any other questions," said Billy. Joshua nodded and left with Daehyun and Jinyoung.

When they got back to the pack house Minhyuk was waiting on them since Joshua wanted to talk to him. "Good luck hyung," said Jinyoung and Daehyun as they entered the house. "Thanks," mumbled Joshua as he walked over to Minhyuk.

"You wanted to talk?" Asked Minhyuk as he stood and walked over to Joshua. Many things were going through his mind at the moment, and he thought that Joshua was going to reject him. "It's nothing big," said Joshua as he put his hands in his pockets. "I just need your word that you won't leave me," he said as he looked at Minhyuk in the eyes. Minhyuk tilted his head in question before nodding. "I won't," he said. Joshua relaxed a little as he nodded. "Let's go somewhere less out in the open," he said before walking into the forest. Minhyuk followed after him.