Chapter 4

A Mate's Promise

Minhyuk was waiting on Joshua to show up, trying not to act too anxious. Hyungwon was indifferent about it, though he understood the hype because he had felt the same way when he found Minhyuk with Shownu years ago. He was understanding, but he was also jealous. Part of it had to do with the dark thoughts crossing his mind but he tried to push those thoughts away as he busied himself with helping Daehyun with lunch.

"I'm surprised you're not more against this," said Daehyun as he cut the chicken for lunch. Hyungwon hummed in reply. "I guess this is how Shownu felt when I found Minhyuk," he said as he cut the vegetables. "I'm okay with it, though I know these dark thoughts are saying I shouldn't be," he said. Daehyun nodded. "How are you handling the thoughts by the way?" He asked. "As okay as I can," said Hyungwon. "I think I understand what Jin-hyung and Wonho were going through now," he said. "Hopefully I can do something about these soon," he said with a sigh. "Don't worry, if you don't get put on our team and you end up with someone we don't know we'll fight for you," said Daehyun. Hyungwon nodded. "Thanks, Daehyun," he said. Daehyun smiled before throwing the chicken into the pot. 

Yoongi came into the kitchen to see how lunch was coming along. "I got a text from Joshua, he should be here soon," he said. "Good, Minhyuk can stop whining about it," Daehyun said with a chuckle. "Did he say who was with him?" He asked. Yoongi shook his head. "He said he was by himself, but knowing Sungcheol I doubt it," he said. "Quit being so paranoid," said Daehyun as he sighed. "Sungcheol isn't as bad as you think he is," he said.

The doorbell rang and Minhyuk went to get it, grinning when he saw who was at the door. "Hi Joshua," he said. Joshua smiled in greeting before scratching the back of his head. "Hey, you guys are official rookies now," he said. "I know you have a trial to go through before becoming official vampire hunters but," he said, shrugging. He looked around. "Mind if I come in?" He asked. Minhyuk nodded. "Come on in," he said as he let Joshua in before closing the door behind him.

Yoongi came into the livingroom, nodding to Joshua. "Huh, Sungcheol let you come alone?" He asked. Joshua scratched the back of his head. "He may be the main alpha but my team leader had the final say," he said. "Ah, that makes sense," said Yoongi as he nodded. "Lunch is almost done so relax a bit," he said. Joshua nodded and went to sit on the couch. Yoongi dragged Minhyuk into the kitchen, making up an excuse of "he needs to help Daehyun in the kitchen."

"You need to tone it down some," Yoongi said to Minhyuk. "I know you're excited to complete your circle but he is a guest, and one of Sungcheol's betas," he said. Daehyun sighed and went over and slapped Yoongi over the head. "Stop being stupid will you? Let my brother be," he said. Yoongi scowled. "Fine if you want us dead so badly," he said. Minhyuk growled. "You don't like it the door is that way," he said, pointing. Hyungwon even went to Minhyuk's defense. "Let him be, you don't want either of them to go crazy do you?" He asked. Yoongi scowled before storming out of the kitchen and going into his room. "Child," grumbled Hyungwon as he went back to cooking. "Go keep Joshua company," said Daehyun as he went to check on the chicken. Minhyuk nodded and all but ran back into the living room.

"He doesn't like Sungcheol much does he?" Joshua asked Minhyuk when Minhyuk came back into the living room. "Apparently according to him Sungcheol is as bad as iKon can be when it comes to their violence," he said. Joshua shook his head. "Sure he is," he said with sarcasm. "That's just the type of image he has," he said. "He isn't as bad as people perceive him as," he said. "If you think he is bad you should see Wonwoo and Mingyu," he said. "They're his betas and he picked them for good reason," he said. "Mm," said Minhyuk.

"Lunch!" Daehyun called out and Minhyuk, Joshua and Yoongi went into the kitchen to grab their plates. They sat around the kitchen island eating and chatting. Joshua got to know Minhyuk more as he talked about what his pack was like to clear up any misconceptions that Yoongi had against his pack. "You can trust my word that they aren't as bad as you think," said Joshua. "Sungcheol's like Yongguk, tough on the outside but empathetic and understanding towards his pack on the inside," he said.

After lunch Joshua went for a walk with Minhyuk, just wanting to talk a bit before Joshua had to head back to the pack house. "I looked into your background a bit, you are brave for sticking with him for so long," he said. Minhyuk let out a bitter chuckle. "We've been together for so long, it'd be kind of wrong to just leave him there to delve into his own insanity," he said. "Plus I'd rather not have him killed by iKon," he said. Joshua nodded.

"You were born in the 50's?" He asked. "According to my brother yes, we were born a few months apart," he said. "I don't know much of what happened, I have amnesia of the time before we got separated," he said. "When were you born?" He asked as he turned to Joshua. Joshua shrugs. "Late 1700's in South Korea, I was turned in the early 1800's and I didn't adopt a western name until I went to Europe," he said. "Or, according to most turned werewolves who took a different name, their human name is the name they were born with," he said. "Mm," said Minhyuk. "What is your human name?" He asked. "I'll tell you when I feel more comfortable with sharing it," said Joshua. "That bad?" Asked Minhyuk. "Mm, kinda," said Joshua.

Joshua's phone vibrated and he checked on it while Minhyuk was observing their surroundings. "Oh, they want me home already?" He asked. Minhyuk tilted his head to the side. "Already?" He asked. "I was having a nice talk, thought I'd be able to talk more but it doesn't seem like it now," said Joshua. "It's just Jeonghan asking where I am, I told him I was talking to you," he said. "Who?" Asked Minhyuk. "My team leader," said Joshua. "Oh, okay," said Minhyuk as he pouted. Joshua laughs and tousled Minhyuk's hair, causing the other to move away. "I'll be back, here's my number so you can text me," he said as he wrote it down on Minhyuk's hand with a pen he always kept on him. "Good luck with your trial when Daehyun and them get missions," he said before walking away. Minhyuk stared at his hand for a full minute before turning around and heading home, smiling all the way home.