Chapter 17

A Mate's Promise

The flight to South Korea went smoothly, being in business class was a nice experience for everyone. When they landed Vernon led them down to the lobby where he said Seungkwan was waiting for them at.

"Hyung," said Seungkwan when Vernon walked over with the others. "Are you insane?" He asked. Vernon scratched the back of his head. "I'm surprised you haven't returned to the states yet," he said. "I wanted to enjoy a vacation," said Seungkwan. "But seriously, are you insane? The Chae's are a big clan," he said. "I can pull some strings," said Hyungwon as he shrugs. "It's time we confronted our pasts," said Joshua. Seungkwan sighed as he put his hands in his pockets. "Alright," he said. "Come on, we're gonna head back to my apartment," he said. "We need to walk so," he said before leaving with the others following after him.

"Since ya'll are insane enough to take on the Chae's I can tell you where they are currently residing," said Seungkwan. "They're in Busan still aren't they?" Asked Hyungwon. "Mhm," said Seungkwan. "Wait, how do you know that?" He asked. Hyungwon chuckled some. "Lucky guess?" He asked. "But seriously, I figured they wouldn't leave the place they would consider home," he said. "You're a Chae aren't you?" Asked Seungkwan. "Mm," said Hyungwon. "Oh, you're the lost son they keep sending people after," said Seungkwan. "And why are you here Jisoo?" He asked, turning to Joshua. "Why are you using my human name?" Joshua asked as he tilted his head to the side. "No reason, we're almost there," said Seungkwan as he faced forward again and continued walking.

They soon reached the apartment building and Seungkwan led them upstairs to his apartment. "I don't have a car here," he said. "But I do have a Korean license," he said. "If we're going to tackle the Chae's we're gonna need a car to take us to Busan," he said. "Or we could take the train," Vernon said with a shrug. "That too," said Seungkwan. "Get some sleep to get rid of that jet lag, I'll see what I can do with getting us train tickets to Busan," he said. "You're safe here," he said as he opened the door to his apartment. "I practically live in South Korea now, I should probably head home soon though, how's the pack doing?" He asked as everyone went inside. "Fine," said Joshua. "Met Hoshi and Woozi before they went home," he said. "Mm," said Seungkwan.

"Sorry if I don't have much food," said Seungkwan as he went into the kitchen where Daehyun had retreated to. "No worries," said Daehyun as he leaned against the kitchen island. "I needed some peace and quiet from the others for a bit," he said. "So what's your reason for being here?" Asked Seungkwan. "Minhyuk's my brother, and he's Joshua's mate so," said Daehyun as he shrugs. "It was Hyungwon's idea to do this," he said. "And everyone kind of went along with it," he said. "Keep an eye on Jinyoung though," he said. "He's insane, having lost his mate," he said. Seungkwan nodded. "I'll keep that in mind," he said.

"So who's pack are you with?" He asked. "Yongguk's," said Daehyun as he shrugs. "Oh, yeah the big guy," said Seungkwan. "I don't hunt often anymore but everyone's heard of him," he said. "How'd you and Joshua meet?" He asked. "He happened to be working when we signed up Hyungwon and Minhyuk," said Daehyun as he shrugs. "One thing led to another and now he's here," he said. "Is it possible you can spare a room for those two?" He asked. "Well, those two and Joshua," he said. "I think I can spare the guest room," said Seungkwan. "It's been turned into a sort of office now but," he said, shrugging. "They'd have to sleep on the floor," he said. "I'll go ask," he said before walking out of the kitchen.

"Sure," said Minhyuk when Seungkwan came over and asked if they didn't mind sleeping in the guest room. "Yeah, I don't mind," said Hyungwon. Joshua nodded in agreement. "Great," said Seungkwan as he smiled slightly. "I might as well work on getting those tickets," he said before going to grab his laptop.

Vernon and Jinyoung were sitting on the couch watching some k-drama that happened to be playing. They weren't really paying too much attention to it since there wasn't much going on. "What brought you to come with us to South Korea anyway?" Vernon asked Jinyoung. Jinyoung shrugs. "It was more of a 'I owe Joshua for a lot of things' and I figured I could pay him back for this one," he said. "And, this may not surprise anyone but everyone wants to overthrow the Chae's this is our chance to, since we're protected," he said. "They may seem big, but they're dying out, Hyungwon's their last son I believe," he said. Vernon nodded. "It seems that way," he said.

Seungkwan went into the kitchen where Daehyun had started working on making something for dinner. "Got the train tickets done, we'll take a train tomorrow around noon," he said. "Alright cool," said Daehyun. "Want some help with dinner?" Asked Seungkwan. "I got it," said Daehyun as he worked on dinner. "How's the others holding up?" He asked. "Fine," said Seungkwan. "The mate trio are in the guest room arranging their sleeping spot and Vernon and Jinyoung are watching some k-drama that's playing," he said. "Mm," said Daehyun. "I'll call everyone in here once I'm done with dinner," he said. "Alright," said Seungkwan before he left the kitchen.

"Dinner!" Called out Daehyun once he was done putting something together. Everyone went into the kitchen to grab a plate and sit at the kitchen island to eat. Things were oddly silent for Minhyuk, Hyungwon and Joshua as they mulled over what to do when they got to Busan. Vernon was having a quiet conversation with Seungkwan which they included Jinyoung and Daehyun in. No one wanted to disturb the peace that fell over the apartment that night.

Seungkwan gave Vernon, Jinyoung and Daehyun blankets and pillows for the livingroom before going to check on Hyungwon, Joshua and Minhyuk. "You three good with the small bit of privacy?" He asked. When he got 3 nods of yes Seungkwan nodded and left, going into his room.

That night Minhyuk lay sandwiched between Hyungwon and Joshua. He didn't mind it, because he wanted to spend these last few hours with them before they had to leave for Busan. Joshua was in his animal form curled up next to Minhyuk while Hyungwon hugged Minhyuk from behind.

"Hyungwon," said Minhyuk. "Mm?" Asked Hyungwon. "Are you and Joshua... Mates?" Asked Minhyuk. "Yes," said Hyungwon. "I knew for a long time, but Joshua lived without me because he knew I was alive," he said. "If I do die, he will break," he mumbled as he reached an arm over Minhyuk to pet Joshua. "I know you will too, but you have him, I don't know what happens to shape shifters when they lose their mates but I hope you can at least keep him sane," he mumbled. "I'll try," said Minhyuk as he sighed. He felt Hyungwon hum in response as he buried his face into his back. After a few minutes Minhyuk heard his breathing even out as Hyungwon fell asleep. "I don't know if I can stay strong for you, but I'll try," Minhyuk mumbled before he drifted off to sleep.