Part 9

The Unromantic Novelist

Jaejoong entered his classroom with dark bags under his eyes, looking tired and worn out. He took his usual seat and laid his head on top of his crossed arms on his desk. Junsu poked his head making him groan.

 

"Are you OK?" Junsu asked in concern. 

 

"I had to stay up all night to write this stupid novel. I wanted to kill the main character 'cause i was pissed but then Changmin gave me a piece of his mind." Jaejoong mumbled. "And Yoona seems to know who I am."

 

"Childhood friend of that doctor?" Junsu asked and Jaejoong nodded. "She didn't tell him, did she?"

 

"No but I have a feeling that she will. I don't trust her. I bet she hates me." Jaejoong narrowed his eyes. "Well the feeling is mutual I hate her too."

 

"She must like doctor handsome huh?" Junsu smirked. "Aww how cute you got a love rival."

 

"Shut up!" Jaejoong groaned and sat back up when the professor arrived.

 

"You better tell him before he finds out from someone else. He'll be disappointed." Junsu whispered to Jaejoong.

Jaejoong lowered his gaze from the teacher to his desk, lost in his thoughts. Junsu was right. He must tell Yunho the truth. How would the older react? He would be angry though, cause he always got angry if his friends kept secrets from him. Maybe a bit sad? Oh come on they'd been friend since a week? But... Jaejoong shook his head. He should concentrate on the lecture right now.

 

...

 

"You don't look so good." Yunho frowned when he saw Jaejoong. 

 

"I know."

 

"I know I told you to study hard but it doesn't mean you have to be so rough on yourself." Yunho lowered his head to look at Jaejoong's face properly, the other had lowered his head, avoiding Yunho's gaze.

 

"Umm.. Yunho there's something I want to tell you." Jaejoong sighed. He had to tell the other about him being Hero. Its now or never. He can't chicken out anymore. The fear of Yoona telling Yunho about Jaejoong's hidden identity it made him feel weird he didn't want that.

 

"What is it?" Yunho raised an eyebrow. "You look so serious."

 

"Acutally I-"

 

"Jaejoong!" Jaejoong turned to see a middle aged woman walking towards them. He recognized her. She was a teacher from the dramatics department but what did she have to do with Jaejoong? "I looked all over for you! Thank god I found you."

 

"What is the matter?" Jaejoong blinked.

 

"As you know that the university festival is coming up." She began. "We need you for a special performance." Jaejoong frowned, being more confused than ever. "We need you to sing!"

 

"You can sing?" Yunho looked at Jaejoong all wide eyed.

 

"I did in highschool once. But I don't sing anymore. I'm out of practice. How did you know anyway?" 

 

"Heechul told me. You two have been long time friends haven't you?"

 

"That son of a-"

 

"So, the festival is next week and you young man should get to practice!" She grabbed Jaejoong's wrist and began dragging him away. towards the dramatics department. 

 

"W-wait! I'm busy I have work to do!" Jaejoong yelped as he swung out his arm desperately grabbing for Yunho's jacket. "And besides me singing was a long long time ago! I can't sing anymore." He whined.

 

"Oh yes you will! I've heard your recording you have an angelic voice Kim Jaejoong." The woman chirped and Jaejoong looked at Yunho with pleading eye. Yunho was just too shocked.

 

"I'd love to hear you sing." Yunho smiled cheekily and tilted his head.

 

"You betrayer!" Jaejoong shouted as he was being dragged away by the woman.

 

Jaejoong launched himself on Heechul as soon as he saw the other man. "Let go off me! You're ruining my hair!"

 

"I'll take my revenge from you for exposing me!" Jaejoong shouted as he messed up Heechul's hair.

 

"Yah!!" Heechul pushed Jaejoong off of him and sat up. "What there to be angry about. You have a good voice, you can sing, you were always about showing off your skills to everyone so why not now?"

 

"You forgot Chul that that was about 6 years ago!" Jaejoong threw a water bottle at Heechul.

 

"So what!? You can sing again. Its not like you lost your voice or something." Heechul said successfully grabbing the bottle. 

 

Jaejoong groaned and sat down holding his head. "I have a deadline to meet too. I only have till tomorrow."

 

Heechul rolled his eyes. "Don't be a drama queen. Get your laptop and write that down. Its not like you're gonna practice the whole day." He got up and extended his hand towards Jaejoong. "Come on I'll distract Mrs. Ahn. You make a run for it. But promise me that you'll perform at the festival."

 

Jaejoong started at Heechul for a few moments but then smiled and took his hand. "Thanks Chul. I'll repay you I promise." He ran away successfully.

 

....

 

Jaejoong was sitting at the cafe again, writing quickly on his laptop. He finished more than expected and after a few hours he was ready to go home. His phone ringed and it was from his eldest sister. He didn't want to pick it up at first, since he was busy but his eldest sister didn't usually call him unless it was important.

 

"Hello."

 

"Jaejoong! I didn't expected this from you seriously." His sister sounded so angry right now.

 

"Whats wrong?" Jaejoong frowned as he closed his laptop.

 

"Your grades! Appa asked Mr.Im about your grades and he was so furious! Your grades are so low." His sister hissed. "We gave you the freedom to do whatever you want but it doesn't mean that you could totally forget that we exist."

 

"Noona-"

 

"Don't Jae.. Don't. I'm tired of your . I always cover you up. You going to the clubs, wasting your time and yourself, being careless everytime, but I expected more from you in your studies. You got a stupid job but it doesn't mean that you can just fail."

 

"I didn't fail."

 

"You nearly did. Now get your back home appa wants to see you." After that she hung up and Jaejoong just sat there staring at his phone. He picked up his stuff and headed towards home. He had to take this situation like a man, had to talk to his father but he was scared. Very scared.

He got home around 4pm and as soon as he entered he saw his sister's furious face who looked like she wanted to murder him. "Appa is in the study room." Jaejoong nodded and went towards the said room. He stopped outside to take a deep breathe and knocked the door. Jaejoong was never scolded by his parents. He was the child who received most of the love from his parents. His sisters treasured him as much. But that day, Jaejoong broke a bit inside when he saw his father's disappointed face. 

 

"Do you know how disappointed I was when Jisong told me about your performance in university."

 

Jaejoong didn't know what to say. He wanted to explain himself but his throat felt dry. He just stood there with his head ducked. 

 

"Wasting yourself on parties, going to clubs, getting drunk. You thought I didn't know about it. Your sister hid it from me but you thought I was this much of a fool? But I let it go. You know what hurt the most? When Jisong told me about your bad reputation! When I heard bad words coming out of someone else's mouth about my son thats what hurt the most." 

 

"Appa... I-I don't have a bad reputation. Its just those teachers-"

 

"What now? Everyone I ask is wrong and only you are right? I tried to defend you. But then I knew how much of a fool I was since everyone has the same opinion of you. I didn't want to pressure you with the company, I let you do whatever you want. I know you have a job and you're earning money I'm happy for you. But why you have to make all that effort go to waste? My effort go to waste? I thought I had raised you better than this. Now go. I dont want to see you right now." 

 

Jaejoong stared at his father, shaking as he tried to speak. "A-appa.."

 

"I said go!"

 

Jaejoong slowly walked out and rushed out of the house, even with his mother calling after him he didn't look back and drove back to his apartment.

Changmin arrived around 8pm and stayed with Jaejoong till his manuscript was completed. The time they got all of the work done was about 3 in the morning.

 

"I'm going to go now. I'll contact the printers first thing in the morning. Get some sleep, its been two days since you didn't sleep." Changmin said standing in the doorway. 

 

"Three days." Jaejoong mumbled and he was sure he wouldn't be able to sleep tonight either. "And I have a report to write too."

 

"Taking a day off wouldn't hurt Jae, besides you don't look so well. Is everything OK?" Jaejoong sighed and told him about the incident earlier. "What the... That son of a... He went this far?"

 

"Its my fault too Changminah.. I was too careless before."

 

"But still it doesn't give your teachers any right to bad mouth about you to your parents behind your back!" Changmin clenched his fist."I've been a student too at that place. I'm only two years your senior, I can go explain the situation to your father."

 

"Its 3 in the morning Min. Just forget it. I'll talk to him after he cools down." Jaejoong said tiredly.

 

"Alright. But take care of yourself. We all know that this is gonna be another hit so be in your best health and beauty we need to go that party soon."

 

Jaejoong smiled and nodded. They both said their goodbyes and after closing the door Jaejoong collapsed on his bed. He closed his eyes wishing for sleep to takeover. He would love some hours sleep. After a few minutes Jaejoong sat up again. He felt like crying. he couldn't sleep but he was dead tired. His sister had told him to get medicine for his insomnia but Jaejoong thought no sleep was good since he had alot of work to do but as time passed, it started to effect his health. "I think I'm gonna die soon." Jaejoong ran his hands down his face and picked up his laptop. "Lets do the assignment." 

 

.....

 

"Jaejoong what the hell!" Junsu squeaked as soon as he saw his friend. Jaejoong looked terrible. His dark circles look more dark than ever, his skin pale and his hair not styled. He looked like he had come tumbling down a hill or something, wait where there leaves in his hair? "What happened?"

 

"I fell." Jaejoong shrugged. "I thought just coming here through the park instead of the track would be quicker but I didn't know that there was a hole in the ground, so you can imagine what happened next."

 

"Did falling on the ground make you wear your shirt backwards?"

 

Jaejoong looked at his shirt and gasped he quickly picked up his jacket and wore it, zipping it up to his chin. "Lets just get this over with. I'm tired, I couldn't sleep and they have this stupid university festival going on and they want me to sing." 

 

"I'm gonna sing too Jae."

 

"Your voice is amazing Su. You even sang last year. Heechul told Mrs. Ahn that I can sing and urgh.." Jaejoong held his throbbing head. "Now they want me to sing too." 

 

"Don't worry Jae you'll ace it. You just need a little practice." 

 

"But I don't want to practice." Jaejoong whined.

 

"You didn't sleep last night either?" Junsu eyed Jaejoong carefully.

 

"No." Jaejoong replied plainly. "Appa scolded me for my grades. Apparently Mr.Im wasn't only threatening me."

 

"That old man must've gone crazy when found out that his daughter had fallen for you."

 

"I hate people."

 

...

 

The classes were over for today and Jaejoong tried to cheer himself up by thinking he had nothing to do for the day but rest. But the throbbing pain in his head was keeping him from being positive. He was gonna meet Yunho today but the doctor was busy in a lecture. He was gonna wait for Yunho in the cafe but Heechul came out of nowhere and dragged Jaejoong away for practice. It had been a while since he sang so he had to work hard on gaining his vocals back. After he finished more like escaped the practice he sent a quick text to Yunho asking if he was free. Yunho said he'll meet the other in 5 minutes in the cafe. Jaejoong started walking towards the cafe. He recalled what happened yesterday and how his father didn't want to see him, his head felt so heavy and he felt like throwing up. He stopped to take a deep breathe and leaned against the wall. What was happening to him? He had went without sleep many times before but his condition was never this bad. He felt his body shaking, his throat feeling dry and his hands and feet turning cold. Jaejoong blinked a few times cause the world around him was getting blurry. He felt someone tucking his arm and saw Junsu staring at him with a frown. Junsu said something but Jaejoong couldn't understand the other, his head felt like it was about to explode but then suddenly the world started getting dizzy and everything turned dark.

 

....

 

Yunho was walking towards the cafe when he saw a few students running towards the direction. He saw a student from his class who was friends with Jaejoong. He looked concerned as he was rushing towards the cafe. Yunho frowned, did something happen?

 

"Did you know Kim Jaejoong from the literature department fainted." A girl spoke to another girl as they passed Yunho.

 

"Excuse me?" Yunho stopped them. "What happened to Jaejoong?"

 

The girl stared at Yunho for a few seconds but then spoke. "He fainted... In the cafe entrance."

 

Yunho raised his eyebrows and rushed towards the direction and saw a crowd of students. He made his way into the center, squeezing through the crowd. His eyes widened when he saw Jaejoong's unmoving body in Junsu's arms. Yoochun was trying to feel his pulse. Yunho rushed towards then and Yoochun quickly moved away when he saw the doctor. Yunho felt Jaejoong's pulse and frowned. "Where's the pharmacy? His blood pressure is really low." Yunho picked Jaejoong up, one arm under his shoulders and the other under his knees. Yunho frowned as he felt the younger boy's weight in his arms. He was so light. Yoochun guided them towards the pharmacy. Yunho took control as soon as they arrived at the pharmacy. He prepared the IV drip and tucked Jaejoong into the bed. He felt weird. Seeing Jaejoong in such a state, his stomach felt sick. It was the same feeling when his mom had fainted 'cause of her low sugar level.

 

"You can go. I'll stay with him." Junsu told Yunho when the older just stood there and stared at jaejoong's pale face.

 

"Okay. Call me when he wakes up. Jaejoong has my number in his phone." After that, Yunho left the room. But the weird feeling didn't. He went outside and sat on the bench and stared into empty space. He had been in the medical profession since a few years, he should be used to these cases. But why did Jaejoong's weak state make him... sad? Yunho's phone rang it was Yoona. "Hi."

 

"Yunho where are you? The lecture ended hours ago you have patients to attend to."

 

"Can't you tell Doctor Lee to take my place for the day? He doesn't have much to do today anyway."

 

"Why? Are you OK?"

 

"Jaejoong fainted and I need to make sure he's OK."

 

"Huh? What happened to him?"

 

"Apparently his blood pressure had dropped dangerously low and he didn't have any sleep either and he seemed under lots of stress" Yunho massaged his temples. "I told him not to work too hard."

 

There was silence on the other end and then Yoona spoke. "Okay, I'll tell Doctor Lee to cover up for you."

 

"Thanks." Yunho sighed and ended the call.

 

"Doctor Jung?" Yunho raised his head to see Jaejoong's friend, the one in the medical department. "Jaejoong woke up. I checked his blood pressure. He's better now. I think you should go see him." Yunho nodded and got up. "And thank you for being there. I freaked out. I didn't know what to do."

 

"Its alright. It happens whens when someone you care about is sick. Even when you enter your professional life you'd have to face these things. That doesn't make you less of a doctor. It just means you care a lot." Yunho smiled at which Yoochun smiled and nodded.

 

 

...

 

 

Yunho entered the room to see Jaejoong laying and staring at the ceiling without any expression. He cleared his throat and Jaejoong looked towards him. He sat up wincing in pain and held his head. It hurt so bad.

 

"I guess you're still not feeling well?" Yunho raised an eyebrow.

 

Jaejoong sighed and spoke. "I guess so." Yunho walked forward and sat down in the chair near the bed and looked at Jaejoong, Jaejoong stared back. "W-what?"

 

"Why didn't you tell me that you're suffering from insomnia."

 

"I..I didn't think it was a big deal." Jaejoong lowered his head and stared at his blanket covered lap.

 

"Wasn't a big deal that you didn't sleep for three days straight?" Yunho raised an eyebrow. "Jaejoong, you should've told me. I could've helped." Jaejoong just continued to look down. He didn't say anything. Suddenly there was a wet drop on the blanket. Jaejoong blinked and he realised it came from his eye. Was he crying? No no no. "Jae?" Came Yunho's worried voice. Jaejoong quickly covered his face with his hands. He was shaking. He lost it when he felt a pair of hands over his hands trying to pull them off. "Hey, look at me. Whats wrong?" Jaejoong let out the stream of tears, it had been a while since he cried, everything was build up, all the stress all the emotions, all the sleepless nights. He couldn't help it when he let out a sob. "Hey, Its OK. Its OK." He felt himself being engulfed into a warm embrace but it only made him cry harder. Yunho rubbed his back and told him that everything is alright. Jaejoong felt so weak in his arms, shaking as he sobbed like a kid who had lost his mommy in a crowd. After what it felt like eternity Jaejoong had calmed down. He rested his forhead on the other's shoulder and took in deep breathes. "You OK?" Yunho asked and Jaejoong nodded.

 

"Thanks." Jaejoong's voice cracked.

 

"You're welcome." Yunho took out a handkerchief from his pocket and handed it over to jaejoong who wiped his face and blew his nose. "Do you want some water?" Jaejoong shook his head and closed his eyes.

 

"I'm sorry."

 

"What for?"

 

"Everything."

 

Yunho frowned. "You're not making sense Jae." Yunho tilted his head to look at Jaejoong's face.

 

"I'm such a waste." Jaejoong mumbled. "I can't do anything right. My father thinks I'm useless, my teachers think I'm trouble, my ex girlfriends always thought I was not not enough."

 

"Did you have a breakup?"

 

"No.. worse. My father doesn't want to see me anymore."

 

"What!? Why?"

 

"Because I have a bad reputation around university." Jaejoong's lower lip quivered. "I'm a bad son. I made him s-so disappointed." He sniffed as his vioce cracked.

 

"Hey, hey, don't cry. He was probably angry. He didn't mean what he said. I assure you that."

 

"I'm not crying. I don't cry." Jaejoong sniffed. "Its cause of my insomnia. I gives me mood swings."  

 

Yunho chuckled and he patted Jaejoong's cheek. "Alright Alight." Jaejoong blushed at the gesture. "Alright so about your insomnia. I'll help you with it. My profession is related to your brain." Yunho poked Jaejoong's forehead and grinned. "Shall we start from tomorrow? You can come visit me at the hospital." At that Jaejoong smiled and nodded. Yunho paused for sometime but then smiled. "Keep smiling. Its better when you smile." He got up. "I'll see you tomorrow then. I have to run to the hospital before Doctor Lee plans on my murder. Take care and don't stress out. You'll be OK." He gave a last smile and left Jaejoong there. Jaejoong left his heart was about to leap out of his chest. He laid down and groaned into the pillow. Gosh! He cried infront of Yunho and Yunho hugged him and now he's gonna become his patient. Was this fate? He felt so much better after hearing Yunho telling him that everything would be alright. He knew that everything would be alright now.

 

.....

Hope u liked this chapter ^^