Beautiful Lie (Possibility One)

The Odds of Us

Minzy gazed around and found herself standing out by the farm market, but there was no one around. She wondered what was going on until she heard the familiar voice call out her name. Looking over her shoulder stood her grandmother gazing at the various produce and debating on which to get. “What do you think about this one,” her voice was like music to Minzy’s ears.

Rushing over, Minzy clung onto her grandmother from behind. She smelt of fresh soap and that old lady perfume she continuously told her not to wear. Grinning as she listened to her grandmother’s heart beat it was all so real. “I’ve missed you.”

“What has gotten into you,” her grandmother chuckled as she patted her granddaughter’s hand lovingly. “I’ve always been with you.”

Biting her lower lip, Minzy buried her face into her grandmother’s back, “I know.”

“Do you?” Turning to face her granddaughter she slightly frowned, “It seems like you’ve forgotten about me.”

“I’ve never forgotten you,” Minzy began to cry as her grandmother cupped her face into her hands.

Bringing her granddaughter’s face down towards her, she placed a sweet kiss upon her forehead, “My child life is only going to get better if you so choose to let it be.”

“Let what be,” she asked in wonder at her grandmother’s vague words.

Placing a hand onto Minzy’s chest, she smiled, “Trust yourself and listen to what your heart is telling you. Just because it doesn’t sound right, doesn’t mean it won’t feel right.”

“Alright,” she simply said taking in her grandmother’s advice.

Suddenly her grandmother turned to gaze towards the open field, “It’s time for us to say goodbye for now.”

Clinging onto her grandmother for dear life she shook her head, “No, let me come with you. I need you.”

“Minzy it’s not your time yet, but when it is know that I’ll be waiting with open arms,” her grandmother reluctantly let her go as she walked off. Pausing she turned to look back at her granddaughter, “Don’t forget what I told you.”

Nodding helplessly as she watched her grandmother fade into the field, her vision turned fuzzy and she found herself in the midst of a crowd. Suddenly two young children raced past her and she felt the urge to follow them. Dashing up the stairs into a bedroom, the boy opened the window making his way out before extending his hand out to the young girl. She gladly accepted and Minzy followed right behind. The boy and girl were hand in hand as they walked across the roof and climbing onto a large branch off of a tree next to the house. There was a small tree house big enough for the three of them. Sitting in admiration as the young boy showed off some of his toys, he handed the young girl a small action figure and explained it was his most favorite toy of them all. It was a toy that his own father carved just for him. As the young girl and Minzy sat admiring such great craftsmanship, their gaze soon fell upon a roughly sculpted action figure. The boy revealed that he had made this for her and it was a gift for his new friend. Placing it in her small hands, she adored the little ballerina. Reaching over the small girl gave the boy a big hug. Minzy placed her hand against her chest as she watched to two friends hug before playing with their action figures. Gleefully watching the two play, she was startled as she heard her name being called. Both she and the young girl gazed into the same direction before making their way out of the tree house. Racing down the steps with the girl, they were giggling as they exited the front door.

Minzy’s eyes began to flutter open as the sunlight urged her awake. As she took in her surroundings, it was an odd feeling of familiarity as if she had been in this room before. Hearina soft hum, she looked to find herself lying on Mino’s sleeping chest like the night before. Staring at his sleeping form, she felt her heart flutter as the image of the young boy flashed in her mind. It was him. He really was her friend, yet it took a dream to finally remember him. Leaning forward, she brushed her lips against his cheek before quietly rising. Creeping over towards the window in a long night gown, she remembered Mino had undressed her before she could pass out. Flinging her arms over her chest in embarrassment, she turned to glare at the sleeping man remembering she was going to give him one hell of a beating when he wakes. But the desire to remember something from her past pulled her towards the window. Making her way onto the roof, she let her memories take control. Smiling at the large tree branch, she carefully made her way to the small tree house and noticed that it was just like she had remembered it. Toys adorning the sides of the tree house, even the small action figure that Mino had shown her. Then her eyes fell upon the little ballerina. Her jaw dropped as she picked up the small figure and held it close to her. It was in near perfect condition with some nicks here and there. Nevertheless it was all there in one piece. “I thought I lost you.”

“So did I,” Mino spoke up announcing his presence. “You almost died in my arms the other night,” he shook his head in disbelief. “Luckily the doctor was able to get to you in time.”

“Wait did you say I almost died? The other night,” Minzy asked rhetorically.

“I brought you back from your grandmother’s grave and you broke into a very high fever. We couldn’t seem to remedy anything to help you stop fevering up and had our family doctor come to see you. After much medications you were able to finally stop burning up and slept off an entire day.”

“Holy , it’s Monday? I should be at work,” she smacked herself in the forehead.

“Don’t worry my mother took care of it,” he waved off her worry. Eyeing him suspiciously she awaited his explanation. “She took the liberty of going through your things to get a hold of your work. She told your work that you almost died and needed a week to recover.”

“A week,” she gasped in disbelief. “I don’t have the time or money to take off a week from work!”

He nodded in understanding, “My mother figured that could possibly be the case and she threatened to sue the company to death if they didn’t give you paid leave. To which by the end of the conversation it seemed like my mother got her way with the help of my father.”

“I…I don’t know what to say,” she stuttered in awe. “Thank you?”

“You’re welcome, now should we back inside,” he gestured towards the house.

Shaking her head she gave him a small smile, “I’ll be there in a minute. I just want to stay here for just a little longer.” He sighed as he nodded and sat next to her. “What are you doing?”

“This is my tree house after all. I should be here to make sure you don’t steal any of my prized possessions.”

She coughed a laugh and rolled her eyes at him, “Fine you’re right. I just wanted to admire what was rightfully mine. I mean you did give it to me.”

“And what would that be,” he furrowed his eyebrows at her.

“This,” she revealed the small ballerina figure in her hand. “I dreamt of this precious toy being given to me by a new friend I had made long ago. Do you think it’s okay for me to finally take my gift with me.”

Grinning as he stared down at the small figure the memories soon flooded his mind, “Sure thing friend.”

“Thank you,” she squealed as she cradled it in her arms. “Thank you so much!”

“Now let’s get back inside. My mother has set up a warm bath and clothing for you while she washes your belongings.”

“Oh my, she doesn’t have to do all that,” Minzy interjected.

“I know but she wants to, especially knowing who your grandmother is,” he explained as he stood to his feet. “Plus you are going to give her grandbabies after all.”

Gladly taking his hand, she laughed as she shook her head, “I feel like I’m such a burden on your family.”

Stopping on the roof, Mino turned to look her in the eyes, “You’re far from a burden. My family is indebted to you and you’re my friend.” Pursing her lips together, she nodded slightly in understanding as she followed him back inside. “The bathroom is down the hall. I’m going to go help mother set up for dinner," he winked at her, which made her flush with embarassment.

Biting the corner of her lip, she couldn't help but spurt out, “Sorry again for…”

“Please don’t apologize and get dressed,” Mino said with a reminding smile.

Feeling her cheeks grow warmer, she turned to take her leave. Quickly rushing towards the bathroom, she shut the door and leaned up against it. Cursing herself for being so childish, she looked over to the mirror and gasped. She never felt so self conscious as she stared at her ghostly appearance. Ashamed that she was seen in such a frightening manner, she splashed cool water over her face. Turning towards the towel rack she was surprised to seeNodding, she made her way to a beautiful flowy sun dress. Lifting the long dress against herself, she was impressed with the crème colored dress that was adorn with beautiful flowers. Impressed by Mino's mother's choice she took a long needed shower. After which, she put on the dress and was amazed that it fit so perfectly. Turning from side to side it felt so light and comfortable she thought about asking Mino’s mother of possibly keeping such a simple yet beautiful dress.

Following the delicious smell down the hallway, she felt her stomach growl as she approached the kitchen. “Dear we’re all waiting for you,” Mino’s mom called after her.

Taking a deep breath, she made her way into the kitchen to see everyone gawking at her. She had received a lot of attention before, but this felt different. It felt personal as she shifted from side to side as she held herself, “Hello everyone.”

Mino rose to his feet abruptly with fury in his eyes, “Where did you get that dress?!”

“I…” Minzy was surprised by his anger and didn’t know what to say.

“I gave it to her. Of course I altered it to fit her, but I thought why not. The dress was going to waste anyway,” his mother spoke up, shrugging with indifference.

“You’re right, that dress is a waste of material. It should have gone into the garbage where it belongs,” Mino barked.

Mino’s father drove his fist into the table and snapped at Mino, “Boy don’t ruin a good meal. We’re trying to have a nice dinner here!”

Scoffing as he glared in Minzy’s direction he shook his head in disgust, “Suddenly I’m no longer hungry.” Storming off, he slammed the front door and took off.

The silence in the room was thick and Minzy didn’t know what exactly to say. She had never seen Mino like that, “I’m…sorry.”

Mino’s mother rose to her feet and came to Minzy’s side. Taking her by the waist she guided her to the table, “Oh no child it’s not your fault.”

“It’s ours for raising such a dramatic kid,” Mino’s father grumbled in shame.

“Honey that’s enough. Let’s just eat,” she said hoping to ease the tension.

Sighing he offered a simple blessing on the food before they began to eat, “Minzy I would like to apologize for putting you under so much stress. I know you were under so much pressure as is with you meeting us. I know I was so stressed out when I had to meet my wife’s family…”

Mino’s mother giggled, “You should’ve seen when he met my father. He was sweating bullets and I thought he was going to pass out.”

“Anyway,” he rolled his eyes as he continued. “Just know that we loved not only your grandmother, but we loved you. You were like my side kick in tricking my son into doing what I wanted.” Both of Mino’s parents laughed together. “Mino would always try to get out of things and I would ask you to tell Mino…”

“And Mino would end up doing what he was asked because you would try to do it if he ever tried to tell you no,” his mother laughed at the memories.

“Really,” Minzy laughed along with them. “Now that I think of it, I think I remember having to start shoveling all the cow poo.” Waving her hand in front of her face at the disgusting chore, she did it anyway because Mister asked her to. “And your name was Mister, right?”

Mino’s father laughed as he nodded to his wife, “That was the name you called me when you were younger!”

Minzy clasped her hands together as all these memories of the farm came to mind. She couldn’t believe she had forgotten all these memories. Better yet, she was impressed that her mind was able to recall such distant memories. “Wow to think, I had just started coming back to this farm a few years ago. It took me years of writing down and piecing how to get here. At least it had been something I wanted to get back to because this farm reminded me of my grandmother.”

Mino’s mother, who she now remembered was Momma to her since she was young,took her hand and gave it a gentle squeeze, “Welcome back home.”

Minzy grew quiet as she returned the loving squeeze to Momma, “Thanks Momma.”

Momma laughed as she remembered how Mino would get so mad when Minzy would call her that, “Oh goodness, I’ve truly missed you.”

The three talked and reminisced on memories and most importantly the description of grandmother Gong’s funeral. Minzy was eternally grateful that there was a whole ceremony that Mino’s family along with its workers and town members in attendance.

The three had taken their conversation out onto the porch where they enjoyed cool freshly squeezed juice. Watching the sunset, Minzy smiled over at the couple, “I can’t thank you enough for everything you’ve all done for my grandmother. I don’t know if I could ever repay you all for it.”

“My dear it was a privilege, no an honor to lay your grandmother to rest. After all we were like family and hopefully sooner than later it will be official,” Momma winked over to Minzy making her blush.

“I don’t know…”

Mister shook his head at his wife, “Dear don’t rush them. Obviously your son is still hurting about…”

Momma quickly shoved her elbow into her husband’s side, “Don’t talk about such things in front of our future daughter in law.”

Minzy grinned at the bickering couple, “its okay you can speak freely about Somi. It doesn’t bother me really.”

Momma looked from Minzy to Mister unsure exactly how to start, “Well dear, as you must have guessed Somi and Mino were dating. They had dated very seriously for a few years, it was obvious they were going to be married. I know my son better than anyone else. Ever since he was young he was very particular about things. He didn't like to rush into things, he is very thorough, like someone I know." Gazing right at her husband knowingly she continued, "Anyway, I knew that he wanted to be two hundred percent sure before he could pop the question. He wanted to be able to give her everything. But a person can only wait so long. She ended things on the day my son and husband fought. So basically everything came crashing down all at once. First his family and then his love of his life. To make matters worse you both arrived the week of when she is to be married to his best friend.”

“Okay it sounds like a drama,” her husband cut in wanting her to stop.

“It sounds like a drama, but it’s true! The wedding is going to be held here on the farm tomorrow,” his wife said in a matter of fact tone.

Mister shrugged his shoulders at Minzy who sat in awe, “What, how was I supposed to know they would choose this week of all weeks to come. I mean it’s not like my son had been home for five years!”

“Please dear don’t judge my Mino so harshly. He only found out while you were unconscious of such news. I wasn’t thinking when I altered Somi’s dress he planned to give her when he was ready to propose to her, it’s my fault he was so mean to you.”

“Oh maybe I should get changed then. Now that you’re telling me all this it doesn’t feel right to be wearing such a meaningful dress,” Minzy glanced down frowning at the dress.

“That’s understandable dear, let’s go get you changed,” Momma said as she led Minzy into the house.

After getting changed, she reappeared to Mino’s parents softly talking hand in hand. They made such a cute couple, she thought as she approached them, “could I please borrow a flashlight and a sweater.”

“What for dear,” Momma asked.

Minzy shrugged as she hugged herself, “I would like to go see my grandmother.”

“I can take you,” Mister chimed in.

But she shook her head not wanting to take away from their time together, “It’s okay I really want to go see her on my own.”

“Okay well do you have a phone?”

She frowned as she sighed, “My phone is dead. I didn’t bring my charger with me.”

“That’s okay you can borrow mine and my husband can come and pick you up when you’re ready,” Momma said as she went into the house to retrieve the items.

“Are you sure you don’t want me to take you,” Mister asked concerned.

“I promise I’ll be fine. I would like to take a stroll anyway to clear my thoughts before seeing my grandmother’s grave.”

“Alright sweetie, I have a light jacket with two drinks. One drink in each pocket! A flash light and my phone,” Momma said as she handed each item.

“Thank you both, I’ll be back soon,” Minzy said as she listened to instructions on how to get to the graveyard.

 

Minzy inhaled deeply as it was just her in between the stars glistening in the night sky and the dirt beneath her feet. Being left to her own thoughts, she thought on everything that happened today. Waking up in Mino’s arms, finding out they truly were friends in a tree house, to reliving memories with Mino’s parents. As eventful as the day was, the one thing that stood out in her mind was the way Mino reacted to seeing her in the dress. She shook her head at how sad she felt when he looked at her so unkindly. It was a new look, she didn't like seeing on him. Hissing in annoyance at herself, she also remembered how she felt when she heard Mino's parents speak of Somi. Everything they said about Somi made her feel something that didn't sit well with her and even now as she walked she still didn't like the thought of her. She figured it was probably because he was such a great friend and to see him so upset over someone like that, it had caught her by surprise. Whatever the reason, she was getting surprised by how easily she was reacting to things as of lately. 

Minzy brushed those thoughts aside as she was nearing the grave. Grateful that she was able to successfully make it there on her own, she closed her eyes and thanked the heavens above. Opening her eyes, she knelt next to the tombstone and stared quietly. “We are here today to celebrate the life of a loving grandmother, friend, and true example of living life. She was all the family I had and was taken from us at a very early time. Though her time on earth was short, her legacy will live on forever.” Smiling at her own burial speech, she let out a sigh of relief. “Grandma I haven’t forgotten what you said to me the other day. I am going to try harder to listen with my heart rather than my mind because sometimes it isn’t about what makes sense, but what feels right. Right grandma?”

Content with her visit, Minzy hummed a tune as she made her way back. Sipping on one of the drinks, she enjoyed the night air and all it had to offer. “Beautiful,” she smiled brightly as she neared the house. Stopping to take in the nicely lit home, she was surprised as the door flung open with a panicked Mino. Watching quietly as a second figure came into view it seemed as though he was arguing with his father.

“How could you have let her go the grave alone? She almost died last night,” Mino snapped.

“Don’t talk like that to me boy. Your fiancé wanted to go alone,” Mister shot back.

“She’s not my fiancé, we’re nothing more than friends. How many times do I have to tell you that there is nothing between us going on!”

“Son stop lying to yourself,” Mister cut in.

But Mino sent him a hard glare, “There’s nothing going on! Nothing!”

“Son you need to get over Somi, she’s getting married tomorrow whether you like it or not,” his father stated.

“Don’t tell me how to feel,” Mino growled.

Minzy was startled as Momma appeared between the two, “Minzy dear, welcome back.” Minzy didn’t say a word as she awkwardly made her way between the two men who fell silent. Falling into step with Momma, she was grateful to feel the encouraging arm wrap around her. “Sorry my son is really dumb. He says things that don’t make sense sometimes, he gets that from his father.”

Minzy gave Momma a half grin as she was led up the stairs, “Do you have a guest room I can stay in?”

“Of course I do,” Momma said in understanding as she opened the guest bedroom across from Mino’s room. “I wouldn’t want to sleep next to that dumb dumb if I were you.”

“No it’s not like that. I just think he needs space,” Minzy interjected.

Momma scoffed as she shook her head, “He had five years of space. What he needs is to realize that you can’t control when the time is right.”

“I don’t understand,” Minzy sat onto the bed sighing.

“My dear, my son is in love with you,” before Minzy could interject she gave her the eye to stay quiet. “My son isn’t used to thing happening so fast. What you and Mino have is different from what he had with Somi or any other girl in his life as a matter of fact. He’s just upset with himself that it took him this long to finally give up on Somi.” Minzy didn’t believe the woman as she sat still. “Minzy I know you don’t believe me right now, especially with what you saw moments ago. But believe me when I say this, you are the one that holds my son’s heart.” Hugging Minzy tightly she smiled, “My son really meant to say that without you he is nothing, because there is nothing in his life without you in it.”

Minzy chuckled as she held onto Momma, “Thanks Momma.”

“You’re welcome sweet heart,” Momma cooed as she held her tighter.

Minzy tossed and turned, feeling restless. Frowning, she found herself sitting up knowing that sleep was out of the question. Turning on the lamp that was next to her bed, she pouted as she lay staring at the wall. Suddenly a light tapping came at the window. Gazing over, she heard the tapping again this time with her name being called. “Minzy are you awake,” Mino whispered loudly. Sighing as she wanted nothing more than to roll over and ignore him, she found herself pushing herself up and towards the window. Moving the blinds, she was met with his smiling face. “Open the window.” Doing what she was told, she slightly opened it. Taking over, Mino opened it all the way and extended his hand out to her. “Here take my hand.”

“What? Are you crazy it’s late,” Minzy said coming up with a lame excuse.

“Please Minzy,” he pleaded as he continued to hold his hand out to her. “Please just take my hand.”

Inwardly groaning, she grudgingly took his hand and made her way onto the rood next to him. He led her to a blanket that had a basket on top of it. “What are you doing?”

Sitting on one end of the blanket, he patted the open area next to him, “Take a seat.”

“Why?”

“Why do you city girls have to ask so many questions?”

“Why do you country boys have to butter us up before saying something, just say what you need to say so I can go back to bed.”

Sighing he shrugged, “Okay it’s going to take me a little bit. I just don’t want you to get tired of standing.”

Rolling her eyes at his point, she begrudgingly took a seat next to him and folded her arms across her chest, “Well?”

“First things first, I want to apologize for what you heard earlier…”

“It was nothing,”she cut him off.

“Minzy don’t do that please. I know how you feel about that word, so no it was not nothing. I’m sorry I said what I said so harshly. You had nothing to do with that argument and it wasn’t right what I said.”

“You only said the truth, there is no wrong in that,” Minzy shrugged acting indifferent.

Meanwhile Mino growled inwardly as he bit back fighting words, “Just because it’s true doesn’t mean it has to be said like that.”

“Oh so everything you were saying was true,” Standing to her feet she had heard enough. She knew where this conversation was leading and she didn’t want any part of it. “Please don’t say what you were going to say. I think I get it. Is there anything else you wanted to say?”

Mino grew quiet seeing as things were falling apart within seconds, “Umm…will you be my date to the wedding tomorrow?”

Minzy wanted to turn around and wring his neck. He must be out of his mind if he was seriously thinking of inviting her to the wedding tomorrow. Glaring back at him, she saw the desperation in his eyes. Taking a deep breath she remembered his situation and couldn’t help but feel sorry for him. “Fine.”

“Really,” he rose an eyebrow at her in disbelief.

She shrugged it off as if not caring, “It’s the least I can do for you since you saved my life. I mean, we are friends after all.” Turning, she quickly made her exit, not allowing him time to respond.

Crawling back into the room, she closed the window shut and shut off the light. As she sat in the dark, she was upset at how short she was with Mino. She couldn’t believe how she had acted like a spoiled girlfriend. The thought of her being his girlfriend made her gasp. What was she thinking? Shaking off such silly thoughts she reminded herself that Mino and her were just friends. Clenching her fists as she thought on how that she could only agree to that statement half heartedly. Yes they were once friends, but now, now was something different. Biting her lower lip in frustration, she hissed as she drove her fist into her chest. The words of Momma ran through her mind from hours ago. Hating the turn of events, she threw the blanket over her face in shame. She didn't know how she got herself into this predicament, but she hoped and prayed that Mino would understand. Huffing she knew that tonight would be one of those long sleepless nights.