p4-5

The Odds of Us

Minzy felt so imprisioned in her jail cell as she stared at the seamstress' latest work. The emerald green dress made her look like a damn mermaid, rolling her eyes at those mystical creatures, she wished she could just have thrown a cloak on and be over with it. But as she was reminded each time, image is everything and that it was part of her duty to accept spending meaningless hours of getting dressed for an even that she so happened to find herself getting out of within minutes. Grinning as she looked forward to meeting up with Mino at the gardens, she wondered how he would work his way out of the grasp of lady Chaerin tonight. It was the only source of entertainment for her, outside of her meditations and fighting techniques she secretly continued to practice in her room before bed.

Hearing the knock at the door, Minzy knew what time it was. Sighing she was surprised to see that she was met by someone in a cloak instead. "Your presence is requested," the person softly said and Minzy knew exactly who it was. It was one of her fellow cloaks, Dara. She was just as quiet and isolated as she was. Following the woman out, she was intrigued as she was being led down towards a more familiar part of the castle. As thrilling as it was to be back in the comforts of the bleak and homely parts of the castel, she grew suspicious. "We're close." 

Minzy wondered why she was being taken into the dark and dreary prison area, until Dara stopped at the very end. Moving to the side, she had opened the metal barred door for her to enter. Walking in, she looked to see the other brother. The one who she had knocked unconscious, the boss man Jiyong now sitting with a glare apparent on his face. "Why have you summoned me," Minzy asked. 

He shrugged as he nodded for Dara to leave them, "High society life looks good on you." 

"Cut the , what do you want," she hissed. 

Jiyong coughed violently before smirking, "I guess we're both in the same boat by the sounds of it." 

Minzy sighed as she folded her arms over her chest, "What do you mean by that?" 

"Why did you keep me alive?! You could've killed me, let me die an honorable death, but instead you force me to live in these chains," he barked.

"When you've been enslaved and in chains for as long as I have then we can talk. If that's all that you have..." 

"No, I...I need your help," he sighed. She stayed quiet as she listened to what he had to say, "The current king plans on giving me to the new king to have him do what he pleases with me. Please don't let him keep me alive."

"You mean to tell me you don't want your brothers to keep you alive? Give me one good reason," she eyed him as she began to lose her patience. She didn't need to be there and in fact it was probably against the king's orders for a lady of the court to be in such a filthy place. 

Jiyong looked at her with pleading eyes, "If I can't have the kingdom then there is no purpose in living." 

Minzy pressed her lips tightly together as she thought upon his words, taking a seat next to him, she knew that she would get a scolding from her beauty team. But right now that wasn't important. Right now, Jiyong's question was figuratively one that related to her similar life questions. "You know, after I sought my revenge I saw no purpose in life. In fact, I started to see living as a curse. I blamed your brother our current king for taking my honor of dying alongside the rest of my family. I was tormented and conflicted with so many emotions that ate at me and I wondered why. Why did the Gods chose me of all of them to live another day?" Sighing as this question still weighed heavily upon her mind. "Maybe I'll never know, but one thing I know for sure is that I can't keep living in the past. It would be a waste of the king's time, of my family's sacrifice, as well as my very own life to be stuck in the past. So I choose to live and if I have an opportunity to grant that same opportunity then I do." 

Jiyong thought about her words as he tried to get what she was meaning by her explanation, "So you think this is an opportunity?" 

Nodding she smiled, "Just because they are the king or the future king remember they were your brothers first. The kingdom may have divided you three, but maybe it can also bring you back together." 

"How," Jiyong asked as he tried to follow her point. 

Reaching out and placing her hand on his, she gave his cold hand a comforting squeeze, "They are your brothers, you should know how to best approach the situation. Even if it's something you don't want to do, it might be the only way to get past whatever you guys are going through." 

 "It's too bad you didn't come into our lives sooner. Maybe then things would be able to be mended back together," he said sadly. Tearing his gaze away, he sighed as he thought of what to say, "Will you promise me something?" 

"What," she softly asked. 

Gaining the courage to look her back in the eyes he held a look of deep sadness, "If I don't have a chance will you promise me to let my brothers know that I love them? Even if I was never the best at showing or saying it, I did at one point care for them deeply." 

"I'm not sure I can keep that promise, it would be more genuine straight from your mouth rather than mine," she answered. 

"They will listen, your opinion is highly valued to my brothers," he nodded.

She scoffed at his notion, "Don't let this get up fool you, I am a nobody."

"You see now that is where you're wrong,' he shook his head disagreeing. "Ever since I met you I knew you were something special. I didnt know what it was until now." It was his turn to take her hand into his, "You are going to be a great leader." 

She grinned shaking her head, "I don't want to be a leader." 

"Some of the best leaders are the ones who would choose other wise," he paused before coughing violently. Withdrawing himself, he leaned his back upon the wall and sighed, "Now that I've said my piece you should go." 

Minzy was confused as she stood to her feet, "I don't understand..."

"You don't now but you will," Jiyong cut her off. "Go now before you are caught here and sentenced to death." 

"I don't fear death," she shrugged. 

"You would if you knew what you would be losing. Now go," Jiyong coughed. "I can sense someone is coming." 

Pressing her lips firmly together, she didn't know how to feel about this confusing conversation before taking her leave. Clinging near the walls, she hid as a torched light appeared down the hall. Hearing the approaching footsteps, she felt her hollowed heart pounding as she didn't know where to escape. Suddenly she was pulled back and she felt her chest tighten as she was led away by Dara into a secret passage way. It was a tight squeeze as she manuvered around the damp rocks that smudged all along her dress, but she didn't care as she was led outside a familiar part of the castle. Dara gave her a look to take caution before she disappeared back into the secret passage way. Minzy didn't question it as she entered the castle. 

"My lady what happened to you," her trusted seamstress gasped as she rushed over to examine her for any injuries. 

"I...fell..." she tried to think of a better explanation, but by the looks of the seamstress she cared more for the dress. 

Shaking her head, the seamstress called for servants to gather her team and more to help put together an emergency outfit. "Let's get you washed up and make you a new dress. Dinner is only an hour away, but I think I can whip something up." 

 

Minzy was impressed to say the least as she did a twirl and her princess styled gown flowed with her. The sparkly white gown made her feel like she was floating in the clouds or in a shiny bubble. She thanked the team, who in return begged her not to think much of it. Hearing a knock at the door, she placed one hand in the other as the servant announced that dinner was being served. As they were nearing the doors, Dara moved to stand in her way. Holding her hand out, the guards on either sides of her stood firm in their places. 

"She is a lady of the court..." the servant tried to say before Dara swung her other hand up to slice threw his throat and letting him crumble to the floor. 

"Was that necessary," Minzy frowned knowing he was only doing his job. 

"Stay here if you feel your life is necessary," Dara said as she glared at her. 

Minzy couldn't understand what was going on as this woman had helped her escape a few hours ago. The sounds of screams rang out from behind the door as the guards turned to brace the door, leaving Dara facing her still. "Must I remind you that I was also just like you. You don't scare me," Minzy said plainly getting impatient. 

"But you should," Dara smirked as she reached out and tried to slice her neck with the same blade she had hit the now dead servant with. Minzy was quick to shift to the side and catch hold of her wrist before forcing her elbow to dislocate. Flipping her over and flat on her back, Minzy took the blade from Dara and glared, "Make your guards move!" 

Dara pressed her lips tightly together before she nodded and the guards did what they were told. Soon a sea of panicking people came flooding out with suited men chasing after them, each man in black lunging to swarm and kill everyone they could get their hands on. Meanwhile they all seemed to deflect Minzy as if she were shielded, she knew who exactly was the cause of this as she heard shouting and fighting taking place in the main hall. Walking in she saw everything was up in flames as the three brothers were fighting. Jiyong was lunging at Mino and giving him a hard punch that sent him flying while the king stepped in to give one right back to Jiyong. It was an interesting fight as Jiyong fought both brothers while the other two tried their best to fight back but stopping the other from conflicting too much pain to Jiyong. But not interesting enough for Minzy to see the vampires that lay injured or dead as the result of this family affair. Inhaling deeply, she walked up to Jiyong and caught hold of his wrist. Surprised by her sudden actions, he had a massive blow to the chest that sent him crumbling to the ground. Minzy moved to block the incoming force and was met by those facination black eyes. The black veins pumping and those black shimmering eyes appeared to recognize her as Mino barely missed her and went crashing into the wall. 

"What are you doing girl," the king roared as he raised his hand up and was blocked by Mino in an instant. 

"Don't you dare touch her," Mino growled. 

Minzy was surprised at how Mino was so quick to her defense when she felt the blade being pulled out of her hands. Gazing back Jiyong gave her a sad smile. "I knew you would pull through for me." Taking the blade to his wrists and finally his neck, he let out a sigh of relief, "Let me bleed out and burn down with this kingdom. It is the only way I can restore my honor now." 

Before she could reach out to Jiyong, she felt herself being pulled the opposite way, "Minzy we need to leave now!" Mino's eyes had faded back to their original color as he looked at her with worry in his eyes, "The kingdom is burning to the ground we need to leave." 

"Go Minzy, be the great leader I know you can be," Jiyong coughed as he laid in the pool of his blood. 

Minzy didn't have much of a choice as she was lifted up into Mino's arms and whisked away. Staring back at Jiyong, he mouthed to her to remember what to tell his brothers. Watching as the king tried to reach for him, the men in suits formed a block aid before they started fighting him off. It was a hard scene to watch as she was taken out front with the others. "Minzy?! Minzy," Mino gasped as he looked into her eyes. 

Snapping out of her trance, she looked at Mino in desperation, "Get the king! The king needs your help!" Reassuring him that she was fine, he raced back into the flames to do what she had asked of him. Standing in place, she fought the urge to run in there and help. She knew that she would only make matters worse by putting herself in danger again. She hoped Mino would hurry as the walls began to start to crumble causing everyone to move back. 

"Where is he?! Where is Mino," Chaerin asked in a panic. 

Minzy didn't know what to say as she stayed looking at the entrance of the castle. The flames were roaring and the castle continue to fall apart, but there still was no sign of Mino or the king. A big explosion had everyone stumbling back, but Minzy had fast reflexes as she stood on her feet once again. The anticipation was killing her as she wondered if sending Mino back in was a good idea. She worried for this man that she had just met. The memories of obsessively finding a trace of him, their first meet, their first of many things, it was just all too overwhelming as time continue to tick by. Seeing the castle completely engulfed in flames she stood dumbstruck with terror as she continue to wait. Hearing Chaerin scream out in horror only made matters worse as she trembled in disbelief. There was no way Mino or the king would make it out there alive with how long it had been. Fighting the tears that threatened to leave her eyes, she stood staring at the castle entrace and wondered if she too should disappear into the flames. Without thinking any further into it, she moved to rush into the flames. Ignoring the pleas for her to stop, she was met by the heat and bright flames surrounding her. Gazing all around, she noticed Mino who lay unconscious with the king who struggled with the large column crushing him. Rushing over, she went to try and help move the column away. Pushing with all her strength, it barely budged as the king coughed and groan to wiggle out. 

"It won't move," the king growled. 

"Don't you dare give up on me," she shouted as she pushed again and was able to allow enough space for the king to free himself. Dropping down by Mino, she lifted him by his shoulders and tried to shake him, "Mino! Mino wake up!" 

"He's out cold," the king coughed as he struggled to move. 

Biting her lower lip, she moved to dig her arms under his arm pits and attempted to drag him out. He was heavier than she expected as she yelled out as if telling herself to push through the struggle. This gave the king the strength to utilize his forearms and crawl after them as the flames had them completely surrounded. Groaning as she felt herself becoming exhausted, she continued to pull Mino even though she wasn't really sure which way she was going. Her thoughts led back to how she was tortured in not being able to save her family. Though she couldn't save her family maybe she could save Mino. This thought kept her moving as she continue to drag Mino with the king following with his army crawl.

Purely exhausted and lost through the blazing fire, she kept going. Yelling at the top of her lungs, she felt the last of her strength starting to fizzle away. Feeling herself ready to give up, she gave the unconscious man one more pull as she screamed out the last of her strength and emerged them from the flames. Collapsing onto the ground, she was grateful to have others come and assist the king the rest of the way out. Letting Mino's unconscious body lay against her heaving body, she sat watching as the castle dissolved before her eyes. Dazed and weak, she looked to see Mino still passed out but safe. When Mino was carried off of her, she let out a heavy sigh as her heavy eye lids closed. 

 

Minzy was forced awake at the taste of warm blood. Jolting up as her teeth sunk into the man who willingly let his wrist bleed into , she felt her eyes grow dark and her surroundings dull as the human blood awoke her senses. The taste of human life rushing through her body was absolutely thrilling as her body became electric. Fighting her instincts, she withdrew her fangs before fully draining the willing host. Heaving as she took in her surroundings, she wondered where the king and Mino were. "My lady we must get you down to the storage," the seamstress called out to her. Letting her tongue flicker out to clean the excess blood, Minzy stood on her feet and stared at the flames that were being put out by everyone. Ignoring Bom, she raced around the remnants of the castle attempting to kick up dirt to help calm the flames. Stopping to rip at the bottom of her dress, she freed her legs and continued to help everyone put out the rest of the fire. 

 

Feeling satisfied by getting the fire put out, Minzy sighed as she walked away from all the servants who were annoyingly telling her to stop and let them handle it. Ignoring the furious seamstress, she refused to take the car down as she walked down the roads to the storage. Even in the state of trouble everyone still appeared to treat her differently. Hating how everyone had cleared a path for her and bowed in respect, she hurried down the hill. 

Everyone that was apart of the king's court along with the king and Mino were sent down to the storage units that was accessed down by the docks. The storage units were basically the under ground castle on reserve. Everyone of the king's court was given their own rooms along with their personal care teams. But Minzy being who she was cared less about taking care of herself and found herself by the king and Mino's assigned quarters. Refusing any care at the moment, she sat in her tattered dress as she awaited the doctors who were working away on both the king and Mino.

After what felt like hours, Minzy was up on her feet as some of the doctors came out of the Mino's room. "Mino," lady Chaerin breathed at her impecable timing fully dressed in new attire.

A little annoyed, Minzy tried to stay composed as she watched Chaerin put on a theatric show demanding that the doctors do everything they could as if they had not already been working on him for hours. Rolling her eyes, she caught sight of the doctors leaving the king's room. Standing to her feet, she walked over to them and grinned, "How is the king?" 

"He's doing as well as could be expected. He won't be able to walk for a couple weeks but he should recover soon." 

"Thank you doctors," Minzy bowed gratefully. Letting them take their leave, she softly knocked on the door and quietly slipped in. Seeing the king all bandaged and cleaned up, she felt a sense of relief. "Your majesty?" 

"Come my child," he coughed as his eyes flutered open. "Let me look upon my savior's face."

She sighed as she shook her head and approached his bed side, "I did nothing." 

He smiled as he refused to hear it, "You did everything. I can never repay the debt I owe you for saving my life as well as my brother's." 

Minzy pressed her lips tightly together as she sighed, "I tried to save your other brother's life, but he insisted on choosing other wise." Pausing as she thought of her conversation with Jiyong she frowned, "He wanted you to know that he once considered you as his brother and loved you so."

"My family has a weird way of showing love to one another right," he sadly chuckled as he tried to make light of the situation. 

"At least there was love," Minzy softly replied as she revealed to the king her interactions with Jiyong. 

"And what about my other brother, why are you not by his side? I know you would rather be sitting next to Mino," the king said wanting to change the subject. 

Minzy shrugged as she thought about it, though she did want to check on Mino the thought of lady Chaerin came to mind, "He already has someone waiting by his side." 

"You mean lady Chaerin, she is no threat to you," the king chuckled thinking of how lady Chaerin's affection for Mino had always been onesided. 

She shook her head smiling, "I know that she's not a threat to me. I could take her in one go." 

"I know you could," he matched her smile. It was then that he took a good look at her, she still was in her tattered dress, "Maybe you should go and take care of yourself. I am fine here." 

"Alright, seeing that you're fine. I will go and do as you command," she grinned before bowing respectfully and taking her leave. Eyeing Mino's room, she wondered if he had woken up yet. Brushing off the thoughts of lady Chaerin swooning over Mino, she walked away to find a servant to her to her quarters. After being shown her new quarters, she shooed away her servants to care for themselves or others that were more in need.

Stripping away what was left of her clothing, she hopped into the tub and relaxed as the hot waters filled all around her. Surprised that someone began to lather soap onto her shoulders, she sighed as the servants had returned to her side. They seemed to ignore her pleas to be left alone as they continued to help her bathe. She was ready to yell at them as she stepped out and was draped with a robe, when she walked towards the bedroom and found two wine bottles. Her hollowed heart felt full of gratitude towards the servants who explained their gratitude towards her for helping in putting out the fire and hoped that she would allow them to serve her to repay her kindness. She couldn't reject their kindness after such an explanation as she nodded to let them continue to assist her.  

 

The seamstress Bom was curious as to why Minzy appeared to be more compliant with the beauty team, but she figured it was due to her being exhausted from over working herself when she shouldn't have. Grinning at her work, she loved the dress that she had designed. It was better than she had envisioned, fit for a queen she thought as she helped move a stray hair out of Minzy's face. "Are you sure you haven't always been apart of the king's court?"

Minzy grinned as she shook her head, "It's all an illusion." 

"Either way it's an illusion to be reckoned with," Bom said proudly. 

Minzy inwardly groaned as she wondered why there still was a gathering for the king's court when the king and Mino would not be present. Hearing the knock at the door she straightened her posture and nodded to the seamstress as she followed the servant out. When they were a safe distance away, Minzy called the servants attention and told him that she would rather check on the king and Mino. The servant didn't question her motives as he changed directions and showed her towards the king's and Mino's hall. 

Gratefully lady Chaerin was not around, as the servants waiting by Mino's quarters shared that she had left a while ago to freshen up and join in on the king's court gathering. She was also told of how Mino still lay unconscious. Nodding in understanding, she was let into the room and sadly grinned to see Mino resting in bed. Walking by his bed side she wondered how long he would stay asleep. Taking his warm hand in hers, she was comforted to know that he still felt the same. Warm, was the thought and distinct feature outside of his beautiful honey eyes that peeked her interest in him. "You can't rest yet, you haven't released me from my obligations just yet." Letting her hand brush across the side of his face, she wondered what had him under such a deep slumber. Cupping his face in her hands as she looked at his face she felt something within her stir. It was such an odd and confusing feeling she quickly retreated her hands as if she felt like she had just burned her hands. Not understanding what had just happened, she pivoted to take her exit before something else happened. Figuring that it was best to check on the king, she allowed the servants to open the door and she grinned seeing the king sitting up in bed. 

"You look like a queen," the king complimented her. She bowed respectfully as he gladly accepted her company. She was surprisingly the only visitor while everyone else sent sentiments through servants. "Come my child." She was at his side, as he reached out to her and he held his hand out to her. Grateful that she was so obedient to place her palm in his, he squeezed it gently, "What is a young beauty like you doing here? Shouldn't you be by Mino's side or at least enjoying the company of others at my court?" 

She shrugged as she thought about it, "Your majesty is too kind to bless me with such compliments. But enjoy is not the choice word I would use to describe how I feel about the court." 

The king was very amused that her spirit aligned so well with his youngest brother's, "And what of Mino?" 

Pressing her lips tightly together, she could not lie to the king, "I feel...obligations toward him my king. I stay because my fate is tied to him at the moment." 

"And what are these obligations you speak of," he asked intrigued by her choice of words. 

"In order to complete my mission I must stay until his coronation," she replied. 

The king thought on her words and found it interesting that his brother would use tactics that he himself would use to get his way, "So once the coronation is done so are you?" Initially she wanted to say no, because the way the king made it sound it was as if she was giving up. Could he not see that she was still being held captive just in a different light? "Forgive me my child, your service has far surpassed my expectations. I just want you to know that this can be your home too. You don't need to stay on guard when you're with me or Mino. Believe it or not, I've had my eye on you from the beginning." She stayed quiet as she waited for him to explain himself, "As my dying wish I want you to accept my last request of becoming queen along side Mino." Minzy felt like her mind had exploded as that was far from what she was expecting as an explanation. "This isn't a request from a king, but as an older brother. I strongly encourage you to stay and rule." 

"But my king, what of Mino? You're not allowing him the chance to choose," she said in a panic. She knew for sure Mino would oppose to such a request. He was a free spirit like her, wanting to make his own choices. 

The king chuckled at the oblivious young woman, his brother had his work cut out for him, "He'll manage." 

"He hasn't even woken up yet," she countered. Maybe Mino would consider it under his delusional mind when first waking up, but for him to be fully aware and accepting she thought there was no chance. "Does this even make sense," she sighed, knowing there were probably other women like lady Chaerin ready and willing to fill such a position. 

"Perfectly," the king said to end the upcoming argument. "Now go my child to the court and feed at the very least. I would like to rest a little while." It took everything in her to not say a thing as she stood a moment longer to compose her thoughts. Excusing herself she looked over at Mino's door and shook her head sadly hoping that he would be understanding of the situation he would be waking up to. Frowning as she made her way to the main hall, she accepted the two bottles and made her way out of the storages. Refusing the transportation, she walked up the roads with a heavy heart. Grinning at the gardens that appeared to be untouched, she made her way into them to find herself sitting at the bench. Gazing up at the full moon, she popped her first bottle open and chugged through it. Placing the empty bottle next to her, she sighed and laid flat on her back. Staring up at the stars that twinkled back at her, she felt the tears begin to swell in her eyes. 

"Why are you crying," a familiar voice echoed as she snapped up to gaze around. Her jaw dropped as she looked to see her father step from behind the tree. He was dressed in the attire that he only wore on special occasions, with his worn blue jeans and button down worn dress shirt. "Why are you so upset my dear," he frowned as he approached her. 

The tears fell from her eyes as she stared at him in disbelief. He looked so handsome with his peppered hair and contagious smile, "Father?" 

"Who else would it be," he smiled as he took a seat next to her. "You've grown so much." 

"I miss you," she breathed as she tried to reach out to him and felt nothing. 

"I know and we miss you too," he nodded confirming that the rest of her family were looking out for her as well. "But it's not your time to be with us yet." 

"When will it be my time," she asked in disbelief that life would be so cruel to keep her from the people she loved and missed dearly.

"It will come, for now you know where you need to be," he sighed as he cupped her face in his hands. "We've always been with you and don't forget that my beautiful daughter," he said before standing on his feet. "I better get going and so should you," he spoke softly before standing on his feet and walking away and fading into the moonlight leaving Minzy speechless as she soaked up the words of her father. 

 

Author's Notes:

The struggle is real with the next set. Boo! haha, hope you all enjoyed this next part. The last chapter to this set is next yay!