p6-3

The Odds of Us

Minzy awoke to the burning sensation in her hand. Gazing down at her palm, she hissed as the star burned brightly. "," she breathed unsure what was happening. 

"Daughter," a voice boomed in the darkest part of the room. 

She trembled unsure why she didn't feel fear, but anxious to meet the figure that stood in the corner, "Are you the Morning Star?" 

"A shadow of myself, yes," he said as he shifted closer. "I have waited for your time to reign alongside me."

"You make it sound as though you've known about me for so long, yet I am only learning of you now," she frowned. 

"I know it doesn't make sense to you right now, but there are rules at play that have forbidden me to make contact with you until now. But that is not why I am here. I have come to warn you that your brother does not fancy your sudden presence," he said in a low tone as if a whisper. "Keep alert and trust no one for those that may seem closest to you may very well be your down fall."

"What of Mino? Can I trust him at least," she found herself saying as she thought of his crystal blue eyes.

"For safe measures I would not get too close to anyone. I did not come into power and keep it without being weary of everyone," he advised her. "When the time is right I will come for you and you will learn how to harness the powers that you possess as for now I would remind you that you are called an eternal flame for a reason. The flame within will guide you through your darkest times," the Shadow said before fading away. 

When the Shadow disappeared the burning along with the glow in her hand had faded away also. Now that she was fully awake, she felt a rumbling in her stomach and wondered if there was something that could calm it. Peering out into the dark cottage, she tip toed out and was surprised by the lights flickering on. She froze in place as she looked to see Mino who was resting on the couch in the scortched up sitting area. Hoping not to wake him, she walked to the fancy kitchen and started opening the small doors. She was confused by the different pots and couldn't understand why there were so many as she opened the big metal door and smiled to find a cooling box for the food. She thought it was such a clever and odd object, but her stomach began to grumble even more for her to be very curious.

"Are you hungry," Mino mumbled as he moved lazily over towards her. 

She sheepishly grinned as she moved away for him to get to the large metal cooling box, "Yes, I apologize for waking you. This cooling box stores the food?" 

"Yes it does. It's called a refridgerator or fridge for short," he said as he patted the fridge as he called it. 

"Your town looks very strange compared to mine and has things that I've never seen before," Minzy confessed as she watched Mino pull items from the fridge. 

"What year do you think it is Minzy," Mino asked as he placed slices of bread and meat together in front of her. 

She pressed her lips tightly together as she thought, "Isn't it the 1700s?" 

Mino grinned as he made himself a sandwhich and smiled, "Believe it or not, it's 2020." 

"What," she breathed in disbelief.

"This is the same town that you left centuries ago. But it was over run by us witches due to the historical magic that was imprinted into the roots of this area when you died," he grinned as he picked up the food that he had made her and showed her how to eat it. Nodding, she hummed as the delicious soft bread meshed well with the meat inside. "It's called a sandwhich."

"Thank you," she grinned as she continue to eat with him. "What exactly did my death do to this town?" 

"When they set you on fire, they set the town on fire. There was complete darkness that fell upon this town when the fire made for your burning went out. No fire was able to be lit to burn any more supposed witches and people fell sick to a mysterious sickness. No source of light or way to fight the spread of this disease that were killing many people, the fear of being on cursed lands eventually drove humans away. When rumor spread within the magic community of this town, many like myself sought out the town and found out you were cleansing it for your return. The sickness was your essence and your death spelled a safe haven for witches seeking refuge from those animals known as humans," he said in disgust. She couldn't believe her ears as she stood trying to imagine it all. How could her death cause such an affect on this town? "When you're done eating you should go and get some rest. You'll be meeting more councelors tomorrow." 

"Good night then," Minzy thanked him again for the food before returning to her room. Sitting in the darkness, she felt a presence in the room. It gave her an eerie feeling as she noticed a particularly darker part of the room. "What do you want," she asked softly trying to overcome the fear that was building in the pit of her stomach. 

"The question is what do you want," the shadow almost sounded like her very own voice but darker and distorted. 

She bit the corner of her lip as she thought on the question, "Who are you?" 

The figure chuckled darkly, "I'm apart of you. I'm your shadow. The part that connects with your pure demonic blood running through your veins." 

"As my shadow what do you do for me," Minzy asked trying to piece together what she was hearing. 

"Wouldn't you like to know," her shadow breathed in amusement. 

"Tell me," Minzy demanded. 

"As you wish," the shadow submitted. Floating over to her bed side, Minzy stared at her very own sillouhette. "Open up," the familiar voice spoke up. Unsure what she meant, Minzy opened to say something before the essence of the shadow became like a gust of rushing air into . Not being able to close until the shadow was completely consumed. She gasped as she felt her body tingling with what felt like electricity, she felt like all her senses had amplified. "Think of me as a guide," the disorted voice spoke through her. "I will help you protect your demon side." 

"What of my witch side? That side is very much a part of me as well," Minzy tried to filter through what her shadow was saying.

"Very wise," the distorted shadow chuckled. "Your witch side can very much handle it's own, but if push comes to shove I will help." 

"Thank you," Minzy could feel the sincerity in the shadow's words even though she felt hesitant to fully trust the shictionadow's words. 

"It's your witch instincts that have you second guessing my true nature. Witches pull their energy or power sources from nature the cool dirt in the ground, the breeze in the wind, the soft glow from the moon in the sky, these are natural entities made by the hand of God himself."

"And you are not of God? You come from the depths of hell," Minzy asked curiously. 

"Exactly you are a walking contradiction. Though witches pride themselves of being above humans, they are merely evolutionized humans. They are able to utilize parts of their mind that normal humans have yet to discover. They are still creations of God and still have a chance at walking through the pearly gates of heaven. But the Dragon has distorted such thinking into having witches believe that their powers come from him. He crafted black magic that not only has misguided many witches, but plagued their minds into thinking that he is the only way for witches to seek redemption. Black magic is strong, but can never truly abolish natural witch craft. The Morning Star prided himself in the Dragon's decite of witches. The decite of the Dragon has aided the Morning Star in the ongoing battle of heaven and hell. The war between the Father and the fallen son."

"So by nature I am a walking contradiction because part of me is witch with the blood of God and the other part is demon which is the blood of the fallen son? But am I more prone to the demon side of me because of how I was created," Minzy asked as she remembered the images embeded in her mind. "Has my fate already been chosen for me?" 

"You may have one side that dominates the other, but you will always no matter what it may seem to be, have the choice of your own fate and path in life," the shadow said. 

A sense of relief washed over her, at least that was something to hold onto after trying grasp her situation. "Show me then shadow, show me from the beginning to now my situation so that I may better understand my circumstances." 

"As you wish," the shadow's essence seeped out of her pores and surrounded her as her world faded into complete darkness. 

 

By the time Minzy's soul had settled back into her body she lay limp and extremely exhausted that she had to focus her energy to try and get her lungs working properly before they caved in and the rest of her body collapsed. "Take slow deep breaths," the shadow encouraged her. "Your soul is trying to remold itself back into the shell of your body. The fact that you are able to even do that is proof in itself that you are the daughter of the Morning Star. As a fallen angel, he never had the chance to have a mortal body, so he possess different bodies from time to time. In a sense this is what gives you an upper hand to both your father and the Dragon. You not only have a mortal body but a witch one none the less." 

"That's nice," Minzy mumbled when her lungs started to work on their own accord. Humming as if she was listening she began to drift off to sleep. 

"Rest young one, I will take watch over you as you sleep," her shadow said as she found sleep wash over her. 

 

Minzy awoke to the call of her name as if in desperation, fluttering her eyes open she saw the piercing blue eyes staring to the depths of the shadow that held him against the wall. "Minzy help me," he breathed as the shadow covered his mouth with some dark mist to silence him. 

"Let him go," Minzy breathed as the shadow immediately retracted back to her side letting Mino crumble down to the ground. Standing up in awe he looked at the dark mist and vaguely remembered one time catching a glimpse of the Dragon's shadow. "What is it Mino? Is something wrong," she asked as she sat up to really take a look at him. 

The way that the shadow had near killed him for entering the room had him still feeling a little unsettled. Trying to shake the thought, he looked over to Minzy who sat smiling warmly at him. "I...I think I've found a way to help prepare you to meet the Morning Star when he decides to come." 

She could sense that he was still stressed about whatever interaction he had with her shadow and decided not to mention her surprise visit with the Morning Star's shadow. "Okay, what is it?" 

"It's forbidden magic because performing such magic could kill a person. But since you're the Morning Star's daughter it might not affect you," he started to explain. "What if we created a time dome for you to train? In the time dome it will slow time down to one hour here is one year in there. You will spend an hour or one year with  each of my trusted councelors. By the end of the day you will have years of experience on your belt rather than a day." 

"So you're taking it on a chance of me a person who has never done magic to create something that may very well kill me," Minzy tried to wrap her head around what he was saying. "I mean...I've already died once. At least this death wouldn't be as horrible as the last."

Mino grimaced at the thought of her dying, "Please don't say it like that. I know it will work because you are you. If there are any signs that the spell is not taking I will make sure to stop it before it gets too dangerous."

Minzy didn't mean to make him feel guilty, she was just trying to make sense of it all out loud. Nodding she grinned, not wanting to make him feel any worse, "Alright, let's try." 

"I've found the perfect place," he extended his arm out and blasted a swirling portal before them and stepped through. Minzy jumped out of bed and followed the young man knowing he was probably too excited about his plan to consider letting her get ready. Walking bare foot into a forest of trees, she glanced around and felt an instant pull towards a small familiar and humble cabin. "This place holds a lot of magical..."

"And demonic ties," Minzy cut him off as she noticed the slabs of stone that was a make shift sacrifical table. "I know this place," Minzy breathed as she touched the cool stone and the images of her mother praying to the Morning Star flashed in her mind. "I was conceived and born here." 

Mino could feel just how much the energy and magical aura was vibrating through the area when Minzy came through the portal. He wondered if she could tell that she was placing a thin film of magic and something else that he assumed was demonic energies at work around their surrounding area. Going quiet as he allowed her time to explore the area, she was instantly pulled to the sacrifical table. When her hand had touched it the ground rumbled beneath their feet and the skies above grew dark. "This is your beginning..."

"And could very well be my end," she spoke so cooly. Turning away from the table, she moved to the small cabin. Turning the rusted door knob to the front door, she pushed the heavy door to have it creak open. Standing at the door way it was like she was taken back to the part of her memories she had long forgotten. This was her home. The rocking chair that was by the fire place brought images of her mother rocking her to sleep when she struggled to do so at night. The small kitchen where her mother cooked and sang to Minzy. The medium bed that sat in the far corner where her mother read spell books to her before they drifted off to sleep. This small and humble cabin was her beginning. Though very simple, Minzy could feel nothing but love. The feeling of warmth filling her caused her to shiver as she walked in. Holding herself as she basked in the memories that she didn't realize she had caused her eyes to water. Falling to her knees as the memory of her mother being taken away, she began to cry with the small version of her self next to her. 

"Minzy," Mino knelt by her. He felt it best to intervene as the energies became overwhelmingly strong as if they were going to explode. The thoughts of how she had set the cottage on fire came to mind. He couldn't let her destroy this place as he took her hands in his. Giving them a gentle squeeze, it allowed her glazed eyes to gaze up at him. He felt a pull so strong as her soft brown eyes searched his. Wrapping his arms around her small frame, he held her against him and let her cry. The way she clung to him let him know that she in fact needed to be here.

"Thank you," she mumbled as she withdrew herself out of his embrace. As much as she wanted to fall completely vulnerable in his inviting arms, she just couldn't. Wiping at her eyes, she stood on her feet determined to follow through with the plan. "What do I have to do to create the time dome?" 

"Uh...we have to first prepare for it..."

"I'm prepared," she cut him off as she extended her arms out to her sides. Closing her eyes she didn't know exactly what she was doing but visualized it in her mind. She felt a source of energy building at the center of her core as well as the energy all around her. The feel of a small breeze brushing against her signified the shadow standing alongside her as a burst of both external and internal energies flowed all around. She felt the dome completely close and she let out a sigh of relief as she turned to look at Mino who stood in awe. "You're right, it didn't kill me," she said with a small smile. Mino was speechless, the magic she performed was something only a witch who had practiced witch craft over many years could perfom, not to mention the amount of magic and energy it took to creat thte dome. Many who attempted to create this dome had died of pure exhaustion without completing the spell. But here she was not even needing a spell and standing as if what she had done was nothing. "Who will be my first councelor?" 

"Chaerin my reader will be your first councelor. She will be your guide in helping you read through the history as well as prophecies of witches as well as anything revolving around the Morning Star," he informed her. He hoped that would give his other councelors time to make their way over. 

"I don't know how to read," she confessed. "I was only a lowly servant and never had a proper education."

Mino frowned knowing that reading and writing was one of the first things all witches learned or how else could one cast a spell or make one for that matter. "Then you shall have a little more time with Chaerin to be able to learn to read but also write."

"Thank you," she grinned gratefully. "Please send for her. I will wait here."

He matched her grin liking how ambitious she sounded, "Pace yourself, this dome will allow you the time you need." 

When Mino had fazed through the clear dome, she felt a sense of relief being able to explore the cabin by herself. Touching various items, memories came with them. Allowing herself to live through each of them, she felt her heart become heavy. By the end of the day she had felt drained from living through her short life there at the cabin. Finding herself at the bed, she felt curious. If she truly had magic or powers, whatever they were called, she wondered if she could tap into them. She wanted to rest in the bed as she extended her hand out and hoped to restore it. Closing her eyes as she envisioned her memories of what the bed looked like, she felt a source of energy pulse from her. Opening her eyes, she lightly chuckled seeing the bed look exactly like the memory. Climbing onto the sturdy bed, she gasped smelling the soft flowery scent that was her mother. It made her eyes water as she pulled the covers up and over herself so that the smell could enclose all around her. This was the smell of her mother and the smell that helped her feel comfortable enough to rest for the night. 

The rays of sunlight that shone on her face made her groan as she pulled the covers tightly over her face. She was so comfortable in the position she slept in that she wished the sun would go and bother someone else. But to no avail the sun continue to do what it did best and shined brightly through the window. Not being able to find sleep again, she forced herself up and found that there still was no sign of Chaerin. Frowning, she remembered what Mino had told her of how time was slower in the dome and what may seem like a day was probably mere seconds in the real world. Seeing that she had time on her side an idea came to mind as she looked at the old cabin. 

By the end of the day she had completely restored the cabin. Exerting so much energy came with the cost of her feeling tired to which she gladly climbed into the bed that she was now dubbing as her own. Pulling the covers up, she wondered what more she could do before Chaerin came. 

As the days passed, Minzy continue to utilize her magic to continue to fix up the place. She had made a well for water, created a small farm for some animals, and gardening. She had literally made the cabin into her own home as she fed and cared for the animals before returning back into the cabin to rest. Suddenly awaking from a dead sleep, she clutched her stomach feeling a sharp pain followed by grumbling. It wasn't until that moment that she realized that she had not eaten a thing since being in the time dome. Shaking the thought, she made her way to her small farm and plucked a chicken and butchered it. Roasting it over a fire, she ripped a chunk off and stuffed the hot meat into . Before she knew it she had devoured the entire chicken, the bones clean and letting out a sigh of relief. Feeling more relaxed with food in her system she was amazed that she had gone so many days without eating. She was so focused on fixing up the cabin and making it a home, she had not realized that she had not eaten. Gazing at the chicken bones, she hovered her hand over it and watched as the bones began to float. The clanking of the bones rising up in the air, she watched as the bones shifted around until they were aligned back into the form of the chicken. There was a sudden poof followed by smoke as the chicken clucked and raced off to the small farm. Grinning at the chicken who went about its life among the other farm animals, she put out the fire with the wave of her hand and headed back into the cabin. 

As she was preparing for bed, she looked to see her mother's spell book sitting on a small table next to the bed. Brushing her hand over the leather bound book, she took it in her hands and opened it up. Looking at the scribbles that she knew were words, she wondered what they said. Letting her fingers trail over the letters, it was like she was hearing her mother's voice. Soft whispers of her voice enchanting spells of a full night's rest and protection of any harm that would try to take her in her sleep. 

Minzy awoke to the foreign presence. Gazing through the pitch black cabin she was surprised to see that her vision was not affected. It was like she could see the world in broad day light in the dark. "She says she's here in peace," her distorted voice of the shadow said as it walked along side her. 

Minzy didn't say a word as she walked out the cabin and made her way towards where the energies were coming from. "It's cruel for a witch to call the creature's soul back to its body after killing it," Chaerin said as she as she petted the chicken before snapping its neck and letting it fall to the ground. "It's unnatural and nature always finds a way to correct it." 

Minzy scoffed as she stared at the chicken who she thought appeared normal, "So are you saying you're nature? Because you just killed it again." 

Chaerin shook her head as she frowned, "As witches we obtain our source of strength from nature and as such we must obey the laws of nature. Bringing back the dead will only bring hardship to whoever is brought back until they are dead once again." 

"So what are you saying? I was brought back..."

"You're only part witch, which means that your circumstances are different. But that does not mean I'm going to excuse you from our way of life. It is important that you learn our history as well as learning how to read and write spells of your own," Chaerin said as she held her ground being well aware of Minzy's shadow staying very protective. 

"Before we learn of the history I want to first learn how to read this spell book," Minzy said as she turned to walk back into the cabin. Retrieving the book, she turned to see Chaerin cautiously enter the cabin. "What is it," Minzy asked as she stared at Chaerin. 

"What exactly do you want to learn how to read first," Chaerin asked as her eyes narrowed on the leather bound book in Minzy's hands. 

"This," Minzy held the book up. "This was my mother's book. I recreated it from my memories,"she said as she moved to place the book into Chaerin's hands. 

The weight of the magic radiating off the book made Chaerin's hands dip a bit as she gawked at the centuries old book. Flipping open the book, she gasped at the ancient writings. This was magic known by some of the first witches to ever walk the face of the earth in the palm of her hands. Some of the spells written in them were things of myths and legends. She couldn't help her eyes from watering at the fact that she was holding something so sacred. Seeing the various symbols and drawings was just so fascinating, she had all but forgotten Minzy's presence until Minzy had stood alongside her and took the book from her hands. 

"I want to learn this page in particular," Minzy flipped open the page that had the symbols and pictures that her mother used to flip to before she had fallen asleep. 

Chaerin took the book and read through the text in amazement before glancing at Minzy and then reading more. "..." she breathed. 

"What," Minzy asked as she frowned not knowing what was being read. 

"This is the prophesy your mother saw. The prophesy of your life," Chaerin said. "You're the key to liberating the witches from both humans as well as the devil himself."

"And how will I do that," Minzy questioned. 

Chaerin's eyes went wide in disbelief before she snapped the book shut, "It's late. I would like to rest and we can pick up tomorrow." Turning to leave the cabin, Minzy followed her out to see that she had pitched a tent and walked in to let the drape of the door close. This left Minzy torn as she wanted to ask Chaerin more questions, but at the same time she remembered she would have a year to figure that out with her. Figuring it was best to get some rest, she returned back to the cabin where she picked up her mother's spell book and snuggled it against her chest before retiring to bed. 

 

 

Author's Notes:

Oh hey hey, it's spring break and here I am dropping this chapter. Hope y'all are doing well in your endeavors. Currently listening to CL's song Wish You Were Here as I'm writing this. Great song! Anyway thanks again for reading!